Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,823 members, 7,806,313 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? (8011 Views)

. / Should Ac And Sc Genotype Marry / Can Two People With AS Genotype Marry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 3:38am On Sep 23, 2013
Pls nairalanders I need ur help on this issue because i am at the verge of settling down and the issue of GENOTYPE comes up, i don't really understand how it works pls kindly share ur experience nd opinion on this maybe it would help dis scary man now,if a man (genotype AS) has sex with a woman (genotype AS),
will the baby be at risk for sickle cell anemia?pls don't insult me I beg thanks 4 ur understanding.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ayogabriel(m): 5:54am On Sep 23, 2013
Of course, you can marry her nobody will hold you not to. But your kid(s) ..... You had better visit a doctor young man
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by nekaa(f): 5:58am On Sep 23, 2013
Yes you can actually, just be ready tu spend half of your life in and out of the hospital... Google ur situation; you will get all the answers you need.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 6:37am On Sep 23, 2013
Guys take it easy on me jare if I want 2 google it,I would ve done dat b4 coming here,I just want people to share more light on AA AS SS by making d thread interactive thanks.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by Allohrandy(m): 7:22am On Sep 23, 2013
I wont advice any of my friend with AS to marry a spouse with AS genotype because their children will have sickle cell
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by iamSi(m): 7:49am On Sep 23, 2013
Yes You can, Productions can be determined _
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 8:08am On Sep 23, 2013
@iamSi thanks 4 u comment but I don't understand what u mean by production can be determined?
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 8:10am On Sep 23, 2013
@Allohrandy thanks a lot very brief nd on point
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ayogabriel(m): 10:03am On Sep 23, 2013
Allohrandy: I wont advice any of my friend with AS to marry a spouse with AS genotype because their children will have sickle cell
Apparently, not all the kids will have the sickle cell anemia, but there is chances of 1 out of 3 kids or even 2 out of the 3 to be born with it, am, am not a doctor oh, but that's what I learnt from school. Ss1 or so
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ayogabriel(m): 10:07am On Sep 23, 2013
samcus: @iamSi thanks 4 u comment but I don't understand what u mean by production can be determined?

My sist told me, before the child is born, u can determine science blah blah, if the child will be AS or AA or SS, so you can make your decision, I don't have to spill the rest out do I? But its quiet expensive I heard.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by Idowuogbo(f): 10:10am On Sep 23, 2013
samcus: Pls nairalanders I need ur help on this issue because i am at the verge of settling down and the issue of GENOTYPE comes up, i don't really understand how it works pls kindly share ur experience nd opinion on this maybe it would help dis scary man now,[b]if a man (genotype AS) has sex with a woman (genotype AS),
will the baby be at risk for sickle cell [/b]anemia?pls don't insult me I beg thanks 4 ur understanding.
Duh?
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 10:50am On Sep 23, 2013
@Idowuogbo u quote everything finish u con write DUH?haba now I beg talk jare make we hear cos I don't understand d meaning of dat.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 10:54am On Sep 23, 2013
@iamSi pls help me know u know how it feels 2 lost d one u loved dearly cos of dis GENOTYPE wahala,I beg inbox me d solution if u can't say it here samorayoo_2009@yahoo.com
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ESULAALU: 1:21pm On Sep 23, 2013
Ok poster, let me help you out here.

For every pregnancy there is a 1 in 4 chance of the child being born with the sickle cell anaemia disease. This means in a lay man's terms that there is a possibility each time your wife gets pregnant that the child is a either a potential sickle cell carrier or NOT.

Now 1 in four means every time, there is a possibility with each pregancy and vice versa, you really cannot determine until that child is born.( Do you get the drift, am trying to make it easy to understand as much as possible).

On the other hand, science has made it possible to determine at an earlier stage (11-13 weeks /16-20 weeks) if a pregnancy will result in a child with sickle cell anemia. 11-13 weeks, the woman can have a test called CVS ( please note this is more painful than uncomfortable,many will say vice versa but I guess it all depends on individual pain threshold). You will need to read more about it
(sorry, but you need to read about it extensively to understand what it really is all about) 16-20 weeks, the woman can have an amniocentesis done and for this you will also have to read about it.

Both of these tests will usually determine if a child would be born with any genetic disease amongst many other things they test for( includes downs syndrome so they are both extensive tests and on the flip side you get to know the sex of your baby much earlier, yes! these tests will let you know if you are having a boy or a girl).

Now the question is, I dont know how much this will cost you especially if you are based in Nigeria or Africa but I know it is could be costly and I dont know how readily available these procedures are in Nigeria so you will have to do your findings on that.

I hope this kind of answers your questions a little. Dont forget 1 in 4 means you might be lucky to have no child born with sickle cell OR 1, 2, 3 kids born with sickle cell, because for each pregancy there is a 1 in four chance.

Alternatively, I have also heard that IVF could also come in handy in this situation( please you also need to read about it extensively, with IVF there is a higher chance of multiple pregancies so I guess thats a plus).

Above all , would not really not want to come acroos as too religious but you need to commit it all into God's hands, and seek medical advice too. Nigerian mentality does not exactly allow so much room for these procedures I have listed above but the western world is such that many people are open minded enough to embrace methods that will allow them spend the rest of their lives with people they love, it is all about choice.

Please poster, its important you read more about this and weigh your choices, just before you ask, I am not a doctor but I know someone who has had CVS ( not in Nigeria and that prompted me to do a lot of reading).

I wish you the very best for the future. Take care.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 3:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
@ESULAALU what can I say again?u ve said it all am really happy with ur explanation may God bless u my brother,thanks a lot naa to start searching again.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ESULAALU: 4:57pm On Sep 23, 2013
You are welcome ,take care and all the best.
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ayogabriel(m): 7:21am On Sep 24, 2013
samcus: @ESULAALU what can I say again?u ve said it all am really happy with ur explanation may God bless u my brother,thanks a lot naa to start searching again.

Awwww (-̩̩̩⌣́_⌣̀-̩̩̩). You will now dump the poor sister, its not fair
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 11:08am On Sep 24, 2013
@ayogabriel u don't know what am going 2ru because of dat right now but if u re in my shoe what would u do?
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by Watermelon(m): 8:36am On Sep 25, 2013
samcus: @ayogabriel u don't know what am going 2ru because of dat right now but if u re in my shoe what would u do?

Make up your mind, as for me I will quit the union to save myself and the unborn child/ren a severely agonising life. I bet you would never want to live with a child with an SS genotype if you see the way most of them suffer.

Emaluscope wrote about CVS and I have several concerns about it; what if the test with all the physical and financial rigors turns out to be positive for SS, will you abort or continue the pregnancy? what if the second pregnancy turns out to be positive too?
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by ESULAALU: 12:26pm On Sep 25, 2013
Watermelon:

Make up your mind, as for me I will quit the union to save myself and the unborn child/ren a severely agonising life. I bet you would never want to live with a child with an SS genotype if you see the way most of them suffer.

Emaluscope wrote about CVS and I have several concerns about it; what if the test with all the physical and financial rigors turns out to be positive for SS, will you abort or continue the pregnancy? what if the second pregnancy turns out to be positive too?

Well, I understand your concerns and it is very normal to feel that way. However, life is all about choices.... the onus lies on the couple to decide if they wish to proceed with the pregancy or not depending on the results. Like I said earlier, I have no idea how much it costs in Nigeria but my niece had hers done for free,she is based in UK.

Did you also notice I mentioned IVF? I also added ''Nigerian mentality ?( or I would say the general african mentality) does not exactly allow so much room for these procedures I have listed above but the western world is such that many people are open minded enough to embrace methods that will allow them spend the rest of their lives with people they love, it is all about choice''.

I am not in the best position to tell people to let go of their relationships because life is all about choice- after weighing the pros and cons. It took me years to find out that Sickle cell is not only limited to africans, even people from the carribean and parts of Asia have it, you will be suprised. I was too.

I was simply trying to explain things in the easiest way possible to the poster and I want to assume you found the info useful too.

I wish you the best and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by Rehil(f): 9:10am On Sep 26, 2013
Lets not bring God into this plss.dnt marry an AS if u r AS plsss.In my first year in d university i did the genotype test and discovered i was AA,so when i met my husband n discovered he was AS i didn't see anytin wrong and we got married in my year two.In my year three i went for my IT in a government hospital,i was in d lab so naturally i had to learn the test.I did another test and i was AS,i couldn't believe it cos i was pregnant then.I repeated the test about 5times all showed i was AS,dat means the firts lab result was not properly done.I did for my husband like twice still AS.i had sleepless nights cos i know what SS pass through and can't imagine bringing children into the world to pass thru such.We joined faith sha with my husband i guess in times of ignorance God shows mercy cos my baby is not SS,took in again and my son is not SS.
For me,plssssssss don't
Re: Can A Man With AS Genotype Marry A Woman With AS Genotype? by samcus(m): 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
@Rehil am really happy 4 u wait oooooo maybe I should go 4 another test cos I did my when I got admission 2002 nd we re many den,who knows dere could be mixed up in d process of d result

(1) (Reply)

Please Help, A Faster Way To kill Chicken Pox / COVID-19 Update For July 23 2021 In Nigeria / No Fraud Case Against #savemayowa, Say Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.