Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,483 members, 7,801,221 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:37 PM

Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? (6440 Views)

Marine Engineering Or Elect/elect? / Is It Possible Or Advisable For A Met And Mat Eng To do Msc In Chemical Eng. / Strictly For Elect/elect Aspirants, Students, Engineers And Professionals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by Ladokun12(m): 7:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
Guyz..i nid ur elp,am cnfusd about d three courses,i no al d three engineerin courses ar gud...bt i want to choos d 1 dat az a beta job oportunity and d course dat also trivs wel in 9ja...xo i decidd to choos 1 of d three bt dnt no wich 2 choos,ur cndid advic wil b apreciatd..plz dnt b biasd..and wit reasns plz
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 23, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by GoodBoi1(m): 9:20pm On Sep 23, 2013
I will advice you to look up information about these disciplines, career path etc Settle for the one you like. If you love the most, maths and physics, Electrical/Electronics will be good for you. If you love maths and chemistry, chemical engineering. Speaking of job opportunities go with Elect/Elect 'cos in Nigeria it the really broad; one you qualify for jobs of other engineering disciplines including computer science and physics and still have unique jobs. There are signs of growth of the electronic industry in Nigeria.
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by Ladokun12(m): 12:30am On Sep 24, 2013
Tanx @gudboy and nonso 4 ur advice
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by ecolime(m): 7:24am On Sep 24, 2013
I studied chemical engineering and I can boldly tell you that those three courses are the best engineering courses you can ever think of. They are very challenging and fantastic with lots of prospects in the labour market.
In terms job prospects in Nigeria, I give it to Elect/Elect engr. It's much more flexible than the other two. You won't regret studying it.
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 25, 2013
@poster try and study electrical eng. You will never regret it. Try to earn a 2:1 though. I did earn a 2:1 in elect eng. But I work with banking now. So your options are practically limitless.
Goodluck.
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by deniyor: 8:57pm On Sep 25, 2013
Guitarlife: @poster try and study electrical eng. You will never regret it. Try to earn a 2:1 though. I did earn a 2:1 in elect eng. But I work with banking now. So your options are practically limitless.
Goodluck.

You work in a bank as ...? banker or engineer?
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2013
deniyor:

You work in a bank as ...? banker or engineer?
Banker nah. LoLz it pays the bills so what is a man gon do huh ?

1 Like

Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by deniyor: 10:18pm On Oct 06, 2013
Guitarlife: Banker nah. LoLz it pays the bills so what is a man gon do huh ?

You should still consider pursuing your engineering career.
Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 12, 2013
If you're pretty good at mathematics, physics and chemistry, then you could go with any of the three courses. They are arguably the best engineering courses in Nigeria and are crucial to the growth of any developing economy.

Mechanical Engineers in Nigeria have good prospects in electric power companies, manufacturing companies and oil and gas companies (mostly as rotating equipment engineers, static equipment engineers, subsea engineers, production engineers and reliability engineers)
Electrical Engineers in Nigeria have prospects EVERYWHERE! but many would prefer to work at electric power companies, manufacturing companies, telecoms companies, IT firms and oil and gas companies (mostly as electrical engineers, Instrumentation and control engineers, production engineers, reliability engineers and IT support).
Chemical engineers in Nigeria have prospects at manufacturing companies and oil and gas companies (Mostly as process engineers, operations engineers, production chemists, and sometimes, instrumentation and control engineers).

Note that there are many other areas these engineers could go into that are not captured above. You should also note that the number of people studying these courses far exceed the available jobs, so being a graduate of any of them is by no means a guarantee of employment. Whatever you do, let discipline, hard work and continual self development be your watchword, and you would greatly increase your chances at the job market.

Finally, I can say that in my Nigerian experience, which is totally subjective, there are usually a greater number of smart and motivated people studying electrical and chemical engineering, than you would find studying mechanical engineering; and being in the company of such people can be really good for your development.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanical Eng,chemical Eng Or Elect Elect??? by shakaz(m): 10:18am On Oct 12, 2013
NeoTesla: If you're pretty good at mathematics, physics and chemistry, then you could go with any of the three courses. They are arguably the best engineering courses in Nigeria and are crucial to the growth of any developing economy.

Mechanical Engineers in Nigeria have good prospects in electric power companies, manufacturing companies and oil and gas companies (mostly as rotating equipment engineers, static equipment engineers, subsea engineers, production engineers and reliability engineers)
Electrical Engineers in Nigeria have prospects EVERYWHERE! but many would prefer to work at electric power companies, manufacturing companies, telecoms companies, IT firms and oil and gas companies (mostly as electrical engineers, Instrumentation and control engineers, production engineers, reliability engineers and IT support).
Chemical engineers in Nigeria have prospects at manufacturing companies and oil and gas companies (Mostly as process engineers, operations engineers, production chemists, and sometimes, instrumentation and control engineers).

Note that there are many other areas these engineers could go into that are not captured above. You should also note that the number of people studying these courses far exceed the available jobs, so being a graduate of any of them is by no means a guarantee of employment. Whatever you do, let discipline, hard work and continual self development be your watchword, and you would greatly increase your chances at the job market.

Finally, I can say that in my Nigerian experience, which is totally subjective, there are usually a greater number of smart and motivated people studying electrical and chemical engineering, than you would find studying mechanical engineering; and being in the company of such people can be really good for your development.
Perfectly on point.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Calling All Cipm Students! / Boss To Staff Relationship; The Opportunist - Bamisepeters' Blog / From Mechanical Engineering To Marine Engineering How To:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.