Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,250 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam (13308 Views)

Lagos House Rental Scam (you Must Read This!!!) / To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala / Don't Be A Victim. Investigate Every Property Before You Buy Any Land This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by homesolutions: 1:32pm On Sep 24, 2013
Many apartment hunters don't take action after becoming the victim of an apartment rental scam. Some don't act because of strong feelings, such as fear, embarrassment, anger, or denial. Others do nothing because they don't realize the options available to them.

But taking action after a rental scam can make you feel empowered, and your actions might help catch the person behind the scam, stop the scam from continuing and hurting others, and get your money back.

What You Can Do After a Scam

Here are seven things you can do if you become the victim of a rental scam:

Call the police. You should let your local law enforcement know if you've been scammed. Even if you don't feel optimistic about pursuing this option, the information you supply the police might be enough to help them apprehend the scammer and get your money returned. Also, until you contact the authorities, you won't know if you're the only victim of this scam. If the police have already been investigating the same scam, then any information you can add about it will be very helpful.

Contact the publisher behind the ad. If the scam originated from an advertisement, let the publisher know about what happened. Many print and online publishers take scams very seriously and would appreciate knowing about problems with their listings. Look up the customer service phone number or e-mail address on the publisher's Web site.

Some publishers go the extra step of asking readers who believe they've been scammed to send them the details. For example, if you believe you became the victim of a scam after responding to a posting on Craigslist, tell Craigslist what happened by completing the site's short online form .

File a complaint with the FTC. If you become the victim of a rental scam in the United States, consider reporting it to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the federal consumer protection agency. Find out more about how to submit a complaint by phone or online.

Look for a lesson. No matter how it happened, you're not to blame for becoming the victim of a rental scam. But perhaps there was a warning sign you ignored or a way you could have been even more careful. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say, and so after a rental scam, it pays to take a moment to see if there's a lesson to be learned.

Review the red flags. Although rental scams always seem to strike when we least expect, there are some common warning signs. Get familiar with these red flags to help identify and avoid rental scams.

Don't get discouraged. After falling victim to a rental scam, it's easy to lose hope of finding the perfect apartment, or to get angry at the whole process and begin to suspect everyone. But it's important not to get discouraged.

Don't lose sight of the fact that nothing has changed as far as finding an apartment is concerned. There were and always will be scammers, so realize that apartment hunting didn't suddenly become more dangerous or difficult. Also, keep in mind that although it's a good idea to look out for red flags, the vast majority of apartment ads out there are legitimate, thankfully.

Share your story. Consider sharing your rental scam story with other About.com readers. Writing about the experience (which you can do anonymously) can make you feel better. Plus, reading others' stories may help remind you that you're not alone. Rental scams happen to the best of us.

Courtesy WWW.HOMESINLAGOS.COM
#Real Estate Online Web Portal
#Post/Search Properties In Lagos State
#Buy/Rent/Lease Flat, Land in Lagos[/b]
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by tammmy(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
sad
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Hoebinar(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
Ok thanks
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by tammmy(m): 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2013
first to comment so easy
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Okijajuju1(m): 3:52pm On Sep 24, 2013
What of if it is not an Apartment?!

What of if its is like

- Face-me I face you
- Batcher
- 1 Bedroom (with community bathroom & toilet)
- Boys Quarters.
- etc

And the Landlord is a Police Officer.. And it was his son Deji that fronted as the agent to scam you?!

10 Likes

Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Lilimax(f): 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
Thanks for sharing.
But often times if this happens in Naija, it takes God for you to get back
your money otherwise O.Y.O grin
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Lilnizzy(m): 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
Tanx to d mod for bringing dis news to d frontpage am jez smoking hot 2dae i dnt even bother to read d news. Oshamo first page tinz nah.
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by hustla(m): 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2013
Report to my Landlord

grin grin grin grin
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by hustla(m): 3:54pm On Sep 24, 2013
tammmy: first to comment so easy

Shalaye
tongue tongue
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by snoop02: 3:55pm On Sep 24, 2013
Visit naijafunction.tk 4 latest updates,new,music,video etc
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by NotNairalandi(m): 3:55pm On Sep 24, 2013
This space is for my younger brother ehh,abeg nobody shld touch it plsssss

1 Like

Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by moscobabs(m): 3:58pm On Sep 24, 2013
What if the Scammar is retire General
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Zumarocket(f): 4:03pm On Sep 24, 2013
make i hear say oyibo no get coruption. Na them scam pas. nIGERIAns are still learnin from ameriacns. After them go say nigeria and coruption....i ask were did coruption started from.

Thanks for the share. But mind u that dis is for the people of the UNITED STATEs and oyinbo people not for NIGERIA and africa.
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by tolextony(m): 4:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
Kk
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by dheaven: 4:04pm On Sep 24, 2013
Nice post. But it should be broken down to Nigeria terms.
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by gtrust: 4:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
moscobabs: What if the Scammar is retire General

Go to the general and show evidence of being scammed by him/her.
You will be surprised that it wasn't the general but someone close to him.
Usually, you then get your money back.

Always, do the right thing and ...
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by tolextony(m): 4:05pm On Sep 24, 2013
tammmy: first to comment so easy
For ur dream,,wake up boiw
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 24, 2013
the best option is trying not to fall a victim. Don't just trust anybody. Shine your eyes!
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2013
Omo this thing na problem for Lagos o.
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 24, 2013

OP, and whoever put this on FP, I'm in NIGERIA, not the US. Note that.

1 Like

Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Businesslocator(m): 4:12pm On Sep 24, 2013
End time tins
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by wordcat(m): 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2013
Okija_juju: What of if it is not an Apartment?!

What of if its is like

- Face-me I face you
- Batcher
- Boys Quarters.
- etc

And the Landlord is a Police Officer.. And it was his son Deji that fronted as the agent to scam you?!
;

In dat case, u've to report him to Ogwugwu Akpu Ubahu-Ezike OR to Ulasi Okija.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Bantino(m): 4:14pm On Sep 24, 2013
This can't work in Naija, tankx though
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by wordcat(m): 4:16pm On Sep 24, 2013
Okija_juju: What of if it is not an Apartment?!

What of if its is like

- Face-me I face you
- Batcher
- Boys Quarters.
- etc

;

In that case, u've to report him to Ogwugwu Akpu Ubahu-Ezike or Ulasi Okija.

1 Like

Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Decryptor(m): 4:19pm On Sep 24, 2013
Who wan scam u for Abuja and Enugu? It's only in Lagos! That's why we buy up all the properties from them and rent it out genuinely but they want to chase us all out of Lagos so that they will be defrauding hapless citizens looking for accommodation and use the money for owambe.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 24, 2013
Zumarocket: make i hear say oyibo no get coruption. Na them scam pas. nIGERIAns are still learnin from ameriacns. After them go say nigeria and coruption....i ask were did coruption started from.

Thanks for the share. But mind u that dis is for the people of the UNITED STATEs and oyinbo people not for NIGERIA and africa.
chai.. i know say na vex... but WHY na...
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by sylve11: 4:21pm On Sep 24, 2013
ok . Thanks cool
Re: Things To Do If You Become The Victim Of An Apartment Rental Scam by kingk(m): 4:45pm On Sep 24, 2013
w ordcat: ;

In dat case, u've to report him to Ogwugwu Akpu Ubahu-Ezike OR to Ulasi Okija.
. grin grin grin grin grin grin ...........My belle ohhhh hmmm.

(1) (2) (Reply)

LRU Spotted Fighting Fire Outbreak At Challenge Bus Stop In Lagos (Photos) / Basic Guide To Buying Land In Lagos / Building within Island, Ikoyi, V.i, Lekki, Ajah?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.