Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,570 members, 7,801,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

So You Want To Be A Programmer...? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / So You Want To Be A Programmer...? (20741 Views)

Teach Me How To Become A Programmer / Which Phone Will You Recommend For A Programmer? / Who Is A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Elvisten10(m): 8:45pm On Sep 28, 2013
Meklex: I want to learn programming but I don't have a laptop,,, please any programming language I can learn without the use of computer.
If it's possible for me to learn the basics without the use of a system, like: know the uses of each string and the results of such strings.
I don't have any knowledge of any programming language but I am willing to learn, especially the lang. needed to create android apps. Till I get myself a lappy I will like to keep myself busy. Thanks anyone,?
i learnt programming with a phone, created my first app with a phone and am still coding with a phone. Its possible. www.nairaland.com/1339891/14-year-old-nigerian-bulk-sms-app
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Raypawer(m): 9:38pm On Sep 28, 2013
Jalor! am so happy i saw this, some1 of like pasion like me, bro c'mon let take over the world with our newly defined sortwares...
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 28, 2013
dokunbam: Which one of these languages do someone learn first?
is it java, c, c++ PHP or phyton?
As a beginner
I'm gonna be honest with you.. I'm sure sm die hard pros myt disagree but IN MY OPINION, an absolute beginner in programming should learn and master HTML5 first, CSS, JavaScript next. Finally you can delve into Java or Python (though I'd prefer Python)
Reason, HTML will open your eyes to see immediately the end results of what you're coding.. You can learn the syntax easily and all you need is a lappy (or a smartphone), notepad (windows) or droidedit (for Android), Chrome Web browser (windows), Dolphin browser (Android). A good ebook like Sams teach yourself in 24hrs series.
Now I don't advise your entire learning should be on a smartphone, it's just ok to be prepared when mobile and u wanna learn some more and code sm more..

The most important thing about learning code is being able to read and understand other pplz codes. With HTML u don't need to go far for examples to read. Just open your Chrome browser (connected to the Internet of course), open a simple website like GoogleDotCom and then press Ctrl + U on your keyboard, immediately a new page opens containing the source code of the Google page.
Go ahead and press Ctrl + a to select all and then paste in your notepad, save with any name but make sure you end it wv '.html'.
And just like that you have a real world example to read, analyze and learn from.
Good luck guys

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Unkl(m): 9:56pm On Sep 28, 2013
Interesting thread.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 10:19pm On Sep 28, 2013
@ OP

Change the title to, 'Do you want to be a programmer?'.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by 9free(m): 10:28pm On Sep 28, 2013
Since it is not Microcontroller, Microprocessor, PLCs and Arduino programming then I out of here....
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 28, 2013
9free: Since it is not Microcontroller, Microprocessor, PLCs and Arduino programming then I out of here....

90% micro-controller programming requires it programming syntax unlike particularly specializing in using a particular programming language. I used to have my hand on them but I quit as it is very much reserved in nature. I would advise you learn common and versatile programming language as a programmer.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Meklex(m): 11:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
Wizard_of_Oz:
I'm gonna be honest with you.. I'm sure sm die hard pros myt disagree but IN MY OPINION, an absolute beginner in programming should learn and master HTML5 first, CSS, JavaScript next. Finally you can delve into Java or Python (though I'd prefer Python)
Reason, HTML will open your eyes to see immediately the end results of what you're coding.. You can learn the syntax easily and all you need is a lappy (or a smartphone), notepad (windows) or droidedit (for Android), Chrome Web browser (windows), Dolphin browser (Android). A good ebook like Sams teach yourself in 24hrs series.
Now I don't advise your entire learning should be on a smartphone, it's just ok to be prepared when mobile and u wanna learn some more and code sm more..

The most important thing about learning code is being able to read and understand other pplz codes. With HTML u don't need to go far for examples to read. Just open your Chrome browser (connected to the Internet of course), open a simple website like GoogleDotCom and then press Ctrl + U on your keyboard, immediately a new page opens containing the source code of the Google page.
Go ahead and press Ctrl + a to select all and then paste in your notepad, save with any name but make sure you end it wv '.html'.
And just like that you have a real world example to read, analyze and learn from.
Good luck guys
guy you have just given me hope, but how can I get the source code on a smartphone, I use android
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by deols(f): 12:12am On Sep 29, 2013
adewasco2k:

Hahahhaa, oleeeee

what language is that? what does that mean?

are you a programmer?
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by deols(f): 12:23am On Sep 29, 2013
charlsecy4:
You have to love coding first!

okay smiley
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by wwweb(m): 2:01am On Sep 29, 2013
The fact that you must think like a computer is wrong! A computer must think like u... So, u gotta develop ur IQ.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dhtml(m): 4:52am On Sep 29, 2013
runzlord: I got a scholarship to learn java at aptech. Java progaming cost 140k there, i paid nothing! Guess what? My parent spoilt everything! The story is to long to tell. Nw i learn java on my own buh i face 2 major chalange,
1. Nepa! I nid light to power my laptop! We have not have light here for 3 months nw. We on gen everynite which is not enough.
2. DATA. 4 example java setup is 90mb! Andriod sdk is 400mb. I dont have money to buy heavy data bundles. Luckily i downloaded java when mtn bis was still working 4 orther divices.
You can copy android SDK from me if you stay in lagos
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by 9free(m): 5:03am On Sep 29, 2013
all4naija:

90% micro-controller programming requires it programming syntax unlike particularly specializing in using a particular programming language. I used to have my hand on them but I quit as it is very much reserved in nature. I would advise you learn common and versatile programming language as a programmer.
My brother, you know very little of what you're saying.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dammytosh: 6:15am On Sep 29, 2013
Garri_Activist: I want to be a programmer but I don't have the moneyangry who is going to help me?

You don't need money to be a programmer. All you need is determination and zeal.

Back in the days, i write my code on a sheet of paper in the middle of the night and look for a free system during the day cos i could not afford the lowest config computer.

Fast forward ..... I have given out au many computers and i have 3 high end Computers to switch from at will with the lowest config being core core i7 8GB ram.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dammytosh: 6:16am On Sep 29, 2013
veektorh: Nice work, I've not started coding.. buh dz write up makes it look easy

Programming is not in any way easy. Just be determined and never lose focus for any reason.

Lest i forget , the best time to start is now.

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dammytosh: 6:22am On Sep 29, 2013
Ogaredu: Great Piece! i'm taking up HTML and CSS tutorial. it is kinda challenging and sometimes i feel like quitting, but this has really motivated me.

If you know what you get at the end of the race, you don't need a motivational speaker to tell u don't quit.

Programming is very very challenging but it is worth it at the end of the day.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dammytosh: 6:25am On Sep 29, 2013
deols: Programmers are the ones making money these days.

so, I want to be a programmer.

Wrong reason to be a programmer. You might end up not being one if your motivation is the cash.

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by africo13610(m): 7:18am On Sep 29, 2013
guys where can we learn programming in lagos....someone shuld plz give us list of a very good tutor center with the courses dey offer and there amount.God bless U

1 Like

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by millenni(f): 7:30am On Sep 29, 2013
Am interested in programming bt very poor in maths so am kinda scared. can l get it?
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 29, 2013
dhtml:
thanks. I stay at far end of the island. And besides i prefer downloading it
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 29, 2013
millenni: Am interested in programming bt very poor in maths so am kinda scared. can l get it?
u dont actually need maths. Buh u need to be smart! And since ur nt good in math, it means ur not smart.
U can give it a try sha
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 29, 2013
runzlord: u dont actually need maths. Buh u need to be smart! And since ur nt good in math, it means ur not smart.
this a very moronic statement

2 Likes

Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by adelolaa(m): 8:24am On Sep 29, 2013
javalove:

Well, I finished from NIIT many many years ago and those materials should be somewhere around my house in Naija. Haven't set my eyes on them for over ten years. I guess you can make do with eBooks as there are lots of free learning materials lying around the internet

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!

plz OP. how can I enter this NIIT next year and what is their requirements, school fees and their website
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 29, 2013
Meklex: guy you have just given me hope, but how can I get the source code on a smartphone, I use android

VT View Source is a free app
that allows you to view HTML, CSS,
JavaScript and XML source codes or
remotely located files.
You can open web page with VT View
Source by typing the URL address
directly in the application, or by using
“Share page” functionality within your
browser.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by dheaven: 8:32am On Sep 29, 2013
runzlord: u dont actually need maths. Buh u need to be smart! And since ur nt good in math, it means ur not smart.
How do you that someone that is not good in maths is not smart?
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 29, 2013
dheaven: How do you that someone that is not good in maths is not smart?
cos if ur smart, u will find math easy.
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by talk2hb1(m): 9:20am On Sep 29, 2013
dhtml:
How we contact you sir?
Re: So You Want To Be A Programmer...? by talk2hb1(m): 9:24am On Sep 29, 2013
millenni: Am interested in programming bt very poor in maths so am kinda scared. can l get it?
Mathematics is not a determining factor since you can eat, sleep and you know when to kill those humming mosquito then you can easily learn programming.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Best School To Learn Java In Lagos / Remote Work: Your Experiences As A Remote Worker / How I Would Go About Learning Programming If I Was To Start Today (2021/2022)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.