Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:31 AM

I’ll Sustain Enugu Beyond Oil — Maduka(peace Mass Transit) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Sustain Enugu Beyond Oil — Maduka(peace Mass Transit) (2187 Views)

Okorocha With Morocco Maduka , Bright Chimezie And Others - Photos / Amaechi At Flag Off Of The Port-Harcourt To Aba Mass Transit Line -photos / President Jonathan Inspected The Abuja Rail Mass Transit Line (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Sustain Enugu Beyond Oil — Maduka(peace Mass Transit) by princejude(m): 8:57pm On Sep 24, 2013
The Chairman, Managing Director and the CEO, Peace Group, owner of the Popular Transport Firm, Peace Mass Transit, Mr Samuel Maduka Onyishi, in this interview with ANTHONY ADA ABRAHAM, discusses why he wants to continue to sustain the empowerment programmes and an all-round industrial revolution in Enugu State, this time, as a politician.

Some major entrepreneurs would rather focus on their business, but you are gearing up for entry into politics; what is the lure?

Mr Samuel Maduka Onyishi (Peace Mass Transit)

I do not think I want to be called a politician. Politics, for me, is a calling. I am into politics, because I want to be part of the decision-making process in the country. I know what Nigerians need, from my experience. I also know how the poor feel and I am in a privileged position to address the numerous challenges faced by the poor, the middle-class and the highly-placed in society.

If you consider my antecedents, you will understand that I started life as a poor man. I can never forget where I am coming from. I also have experience as a middle-class and as a highly-placed.

When businessmen shy away from politics, you can attribute that to lack of the sacrificial spirit and will power to solve the many demands of society. I have come to realise that God empowered wme to do same for others, and not to indulge in frivolous spending or the so-called ‘bigmanism’. Another reason is that I also want to leave a legacy, one which I will be remembered for.

When I was growing in business, I made a pact with God, telling Him that I will use the resources he availed me to bless him in return. What better way to do this than to render service to humanity?

Money is no legacy; if you leave that as a legacy for your children, they end up fighting over it and breeding hatred among themselves. But legacies are beyond money; they are more tangible and valuable.

You have been a member of the PDP since 1998; with the latest drama in the party, which of the factions are you loyal – the purported ‘New PDP’ as led by Baraje or the ‘mainstream PDP’ chaired by Tukur?

We don’t have factions in the Enugu State chapter of the party. We have only one PDP and it starts from the ward. In my ward, council, local government and state, we have only one PDP, and we don’t know any other PDP except the one whose chairman is Bamanga Tukur.

What is your take on the formation of the Baraje-led PDP?

You should be aware that the Independent National Election Commission (INEC) cannot register two PDPs. That said, I see what is happening now as a family problem that must be resolved. In that regard, President Jonathan is the leader of the party, the one playing a leading role by calling the family into the house to resolve contending issues. It is a family matter and, as such, must be tackled in-house. I am confident that the president is equal to the task.

There are reports that you are eyeing the number one seat in your state, Enugu, in 2015; can you confirm that?

Our governor, Sullivan Chime, has actually zoned the next governorship slot to Enugu North Senatorial Zone, which is Nsukka where I come from. The PDP in the state has also zoned it to Enugu North. Because they saw me grow from grass to grace and as a person they can trust, it is normal for them to beckon on me to represent them. I am not telling you whether I will run or not; what I am telling you that I am qualified to run. However, if my people say I should run, I cannot say no, because I have been an instrument of service to the people. That said, my decision is hinged on God’s approval.

How do you intend to do that in order to surpass the aforementioned strides of the former and current governors of the state?

Given the availability of funds, the potential to make more money for Enugu State and as an entrepreneur of repute, I believe that the God who has taught me how to create wealth and manage resources will not abandon me even as governor, hence, my strong belief that with the third eye of an entrepreneur, I will only do what I know how to do best. Enugu, at this time, needs a person who can sustain and improve ongoing development initiatives, and prepare it for the economic challenges ahead. With what is happening in the oil and gas sector, it is clear that so many countries are discovering oil at their backyards and, sooner than later, you will know that most of the countries who import oil from Nigeria have started discovering oil in their respective countries. A clear example is the United States of America (USA). When they tap into their new-found oil wells, they may not see the need to buy from us again. Now, since oil is our major source of revenue, this means that we would have lost our major source of income.

When this happens, the monthly allocation from the federal government will be reduced. States must strive to survive. The implication is that any state which cannot survive on its own through internally generated revenue to sustain development and service delivery is only sitting on a time bomb, and may not survive. The earlier we start planning for a Nigeria without oil, and an Enugu State without oil, the better for us. The future of the state, in terms of development, income generation and all other economic indicators depends on who the leaders are and their qualities – creativity, economic savvy and goodwill. I have done it before and, today, I have over 4,000 Nigerians on my payroll. I can do it again.

If I am a governor, the state will be more sustained under me. I will provide adequate security measures and build the capacity of my people through education, provision of good health facilities, agriculture, tackle unemployment among the people, especially the youths, provide sustainable job opportunities through agriculture and others.

Political pundits at different fora are of the opinion that President Jonathan is the most distracted and criticised leader in the world; if what they say is true, has it in any way affected his transformation agenda over the past two years? The opposition political parties are yet to see anything good that this government has achieved.

For me as a businessman, and as a believer in the transformation policies of Mr. President, the core aspect of every activity or programme is organisation. When turning around businesses to achieve transformation, many things ought to be put into consideration. Nigeria, because of our diverse culture and religion, needs some special skills to run. Jonathan has performed exceedingly well; his result in terms of achievement over the past two years is excellent. As a stakeholder in road transport business for now, I look at Nigeria from the road transport perspective; I knew how the roads were prior the assumption of office of the present administration. I am aware how the road from Enugu to Port Harcourt highway was; I know how the Enugu-Abakiliki road was. Apart from what the state governments are doing, the federal government is working assiduously on the major highways, building dual roads, massive construction of bridges and flyovers; you cannot start and finish constructing a 100-kilometre road in one month, therefore, he needs time for the result to manifest.

more info: http://www.nsukkadeje.com/ill-sustain-enugu-beyond-oil-maduka/

Re: I’ll Sustain Enugu Beyond Oil — Maduka(peace Mass Transit) by kettykin: 9:08pm On Sep 24, 2013
My dear you better continue your business and leave politics for politicians, tomorrow someone else will say you stole government money to build PMT

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Chibok Girls Families Reject Presidential Meeting, Jonathan Blames Opposition / CNN Needs To Apologise To Nigeria For Dis Rubish / How Women are Punished For Dishonesty in Nigeria (viewer Discretion Advised)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.