Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,180 members, 7,807,573 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report (1231 Views)

Bus On Fire In Calabar As One Burns To Death (Viewers' Discretion) / Flood Caused By Heavy Rainfall In Calabar / Tourism In Nigeria - Top 30 Exciting Destinations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report by LondonCool(m): 7:23pm On Jun 24, 2008
This article was published in todays Financial Times 2008 Report on Nigeria

Do you agree with the authors opinion?  

Cross River: When the rhetoric runs ahead of a shabby reality
By Barney Jopson

Published: June 23 2008 17:47

The name Calabar was bestowed on the capital of Nigeria’s south-eastern state by Portuguese explorers, says Joseph Ushie, a tour guide, as his car purrs along the smoothly-paved streets of the spacious, equilateral town. Today, he says, it has been turned into a marketing acronym: “Come And Live And Be At Rest”.

It is hard to conceive of any foreign visitor coming to Nigeria with such ambitions, infamous as the country is for its pushiness and dysfunctionality, its crime and shoulder-shrugging familiarity with man-made disaster.

But Calabar has sought to shake off the images projected on to the whole country from Lagos, the thrills-and-spills commercial capital, and Port Harcourt, the besieged centre of the oil industry. The town is the apex of Cross River state and Donald Duke, its energetic former governor, tried from 1999 to 2007 to turn the region into a tourism hub.

In the end, the rhetoric ran far ahead of the reality and Mr Duke’s successor has picked up the tourism mantle with rather less enthusiasm. But the experience of Cross River still holds lessons – both dos and don’ts – for the rest of the country.

The former governor wanted to exploit assets that set Cross River apart from much of the rest of Nigeria. One was the relative calm and safety of Calabar, which he augmented with measures such as making motorcycle taxi drivers carry helmets for passengers and by employing street-sweepers to clear dust from the roads every morning at dawn.

“In the popular mind, Nigeria is associated with kidnapping and violence and the blowing up of oil installations,” says Bassey Ndem, who manages one of the ventures established by Mr Duke. “Calabar is the only place I see people sitting by the side of the road having a beer. It’s the only place I’ve seen a single white girl walking down the road at 10pm.”

Outside the town, Cross River also has several natural attractions that pale into comparison with those offered by Kenya, Tanzania and South Africa, but are nonetheless impressive by Nigerian standards. Chief among them are the Obudu Cattle Ranch, located in the state’s misty highlands, and the Drill Rehabilitation and Breeding Centre, where a US couple are working to protect endangered drill monkeys found only in the Cross-Sanaga region.

The goal behind the tourism plan was one that lacks obvious commitment in many other states: to reduce Cross River’s near-total dependence on oil revenues, which are channelled through the federal government and give the state a monthly credit of between N3bn ($25.5m) and N3.5bn.

“We say tourism empowers others: the taxi drivers, the waiters, the people making crafts,” says Mr Ndem. “They provide goods and services for those coming from the outside with their money, so they will benefit and you can tax them. You are sucking up resources from the roots rather than pushing down from the leaves.”

Evidence of the theory becoming a reality, however, is scant. The concrete cubes that are a staple of Calabar architecture are broken up by numerous hotels – the state government says there are 2,000-plus beds – and those visited on a weekday by the FT feel echoey, though receptionists say they fill up at the weekends.

Many of the visitors got to know of Cross River through an expensive advertising blitz paid for by the previous state government. Some are expatriate oil workers from Port Harcourt who want to see something other than the interior of their locked-down compounds.

“The people who come to our place are never disappointed,” says Liza Gadsby, one of the founders of the drill centre. “But are they going to come back? Are they going to tell their friends? Or are they going to say: ‘Yes I liked it, but it’s over-rated.’ That’s the million-dollar question because tourism is made by repeat visitors.”

The number of annual overnight visitors to the drill ranch has climbed steadily to more than 500, but Ms Gadsby says: “If I was in business, running a tourist destination, we’d be bust. But we’re not. We’re here for wildlife conservation.”

The new state administration of governor Liyel Imoke has accepted, implicitly, that too much hope was invested in tourism. “We are consolidating the things done, but also looking at other areas,” says Nzan Ogbe, a special adviser to the governor, who is trying to attract oil and gas companies to set up in Calabar. “Tourism in itself is good, but you have to broaden your priorities.”

Waiting in the dim lobby of Calabar’s Serengeti Hotel is a group of academics from Georgia in the US, who are on holiday. They have just returned from the Obudu Ranch, which took 12 hours to reach after their bus got lost and was then stopped in the dark by “vigilantes”.

The meaning of the Calabar acronym, to them, does not quite ring true.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008
Re: Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report by dnative(m): 6:14pm On Jun 28, 2008
The realities of the situation on ground as identified by the article author does nothing but hit home on the hard core truth that a broader approach has to be taken not only to initiate good tourism concepts as it's being done in Calabar but to sustain it.  In my own opinion, the Tinapa project as have been identified in many quarters stops short of being nothing but an overbloated shopping complex project. I lived in Calabar for a couple of years and visiting the place early this year, I decided to check out Tinapa. What I saw, while being a 'worthwhile' best-of-efforts project is not the killer concept to bring cross river tourism to that desired next level. I don't want to be misunderstood, Duke has done very well in at least putting this concept down - but when this is done by putting the state in debt, then the rationale raises a lot of questions. I compare Tinapa to shopping/leisure themes in the UK - those in bluewater in Kent, MerryHill in midlands or the one in Old Trafford in manchester. I doubt if the UK govt or the respective councils/boroughs involved in these have to break the bank to put up these structures. And yet, Tinapa is nothing compared with what obtained in those places.

In my opinion, a proportionate development of clusters of tourists spots across the state would have been a better approach rather than one colossus tourist destination project that could not be finished talk less of being sustained. Calabar is blessed with a coastline, the marina stretching across beachside through the most of old Calabar could have been developed into a modern cosmopolitan beach front complete with landscaped waterways for theme boat rides wiith other beehives of tourist acitivities concentrated along the marina. Calabar has a very rich history dating back centuries ago, some of the historical relics are still in old calabar. A designated theme bus ride with fixed schedule to take people around a guided tour of calabar/cross river would be a feasible project.   If such pockets of small tourists developmental projects could be conceptualised and sustained with consistency over a period of time, Calabar should be boasting of a sizeable increase in repeated tourists visiting the place.

However by all Nigerian standards, Duke has tried compared to other governors. I was shocked at the state of side roads in Calabar. i could barely recognize the dilapitated road on the street off effioette where i used to live, it is much more of an express way now than a side street. And this is the same for most (i'll say 90%) of streets across Calabar. You wonder if he was not collecting the same FG allocation as these other governors.
Re: Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report by dnative(m): 7:06pm On Jul 12, 2008

http://www.saharareporters.com/www/article/detail/?id=706

Another dimension/perspective to this Tinapa (beginning to sound more like a synonym to 'white elephant') project.
Re: Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report by LondonCool(m): 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2013
Bump
Re: Analysing Tourism In Calabar: Financial Times 2008 Report by nabiz(m): 10:32am On Jun 06, 2015
Good morning my oga. Learnt u want to install a quality stamped concrete floor. Pls click my link below for ur consideration https://www.nairaland.com/2278774/call-me-increte-decorative-stamped

(1) (Reply)

Flight From Lagos To Hyberdad, India / Please How Is Much Is New ECOWAS Passport At Ibadan Or Lagos / Best Country For Skill Workers Such As Carpentry,hairdresser,tailor,upholstery E

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.