Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,732 members, 7,802,213 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) (10173 Views)

What Is Recommended To Have A Successful Career In Web Development / Which Language/framework Is Recommended For Startups? / Computer Science Degree Recommended For Programming Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by trojanking(m): 9:18am On Sep 27, 2013
I am looking into starting up a local ISP and that would offer internet access via wireless modem and hotspot in my area (at least to cover my local government area). Included would be a service to offer CCTV installation that supports IP cameras with motion detection I hope to be able to backup videos remotely which would be stored monthly for my clients at extra cost.

I know its not a one man business, but I would like to know what are the requirements that I need to meet up with. Also possibly an answer to the following questions.

1. Mikrotik vs Cisco - which should I learn and why?
2. Mikrotik schools in Nigeria offering to train in me in MTCNA 4 to 10 days, would that be enough to learn?
3. How many days does Cisco schools teach the CCNA? And why are they longer than Mikrotik?
4. What are the challenges to expect?
5. What would be the startup cost for the project.

Finally, any additional information would be appreciated. I don't mind having to meet with someone for a one on meeting... No gimmicks please.
Re: Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by trojanking(m): 1:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
Please anyone with good idea on the above topic please let me know
Re: Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by trojanking(m): 5:57pm On Nov 04, 2013
What is the difference between Mikrotik and Cisco courses?
Re: Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by Loggix: 8:08pm On Nov 04, 2013
trojanking: What is the difference between Mikrotik and Cisco courses?

Mikrotik is a Networking Equipment manufacture much like Cisco is. The only big difference as I see it, is that Cisco has the largest share of the Networking Equipment market .
''Research from Synergy shows that Cisco has the lion’s share of the market in switches and routing, reaching roughly 65 percent and 70 percent respectively. In 2012 the six main segments within the enterprise networking market generated $45 billion in revenues for technology vendors, with Ethernet switches now accounting for almost half of all spending'' - Culled from http://gigaom.com/2013/02/27/chart-cisco-owns-the-switching-and-routing-world/

Based on the above, it is fair to say Cisco is the brand most recognized and used by a majority of Large and small enterprise worldwide.

Mikrotik, as I understand it, makes pretty good Routing and Switching products - They are amongst the smaller manufacturers catering to those who are looking for a Cisco alternative, either due to 'Price" or lack of Cisco Technical Skills. In terms of financial rewards based on Certifications, Cisco Certs command pretty good compensation levels.

If you are interested in seeking Cisco Certs, please check us out, @ Loggix NetwoRx Technologies
At Loggix NetwoRx Technologies, we provide candidates with Physical Cisco Devices Racks from CCNA thru CCIE in R/S, Voice, Security, and Wireless Tracks. Do not take our word for it, Please visit our facility to see for yourself.

For November registrations, with classes beginning November 18, we offer the following incentives,
1. 1Gig of Web/Data access SIM card.
2. Free WiFi access in the Center for registered Students.

Web: www.loggixtechnologies.com
FB:[url] http://www.facebook.com/Loggix.Technologies2013[/url]

This is the Best Cisco Equipped Lab Center In Nigeria. - Come and See for yourself.

Please Visit us online for more info, or check us out in the Cisco Professionals Forumn
https://www.nairaland.com/230358/cisco-thread-cisco-professionals-identify/17#18503746

Or Call Us at:
Nigeria +234-812-583-8902
USA +1-202-446-6261

Loggix NetwoRx Technologies.
Pioneer Road, Lekki-Epe Expressway@ Jakande Round-about,
Lekki Phase 2, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria.
info@loggixTechnologies.com

Follow us: on
FB: :http://www.facebook.com/Loggix.Technologies2013
Twitter: #LoggixTech
Re: Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by barapistis(m): 6:45am On Nov 07, 2013
op, to do that particular thing you want to do,

U need both ccna n mikrotic....

Infact you better enroll for a ccna class now ,after which you will find that microtic is a small thing,
In other words,ccna will give you the solid networking skill you may need

I never got to finish a neTworking class but can do what you talking about,..a private experience tutor will go a long way....
Re: Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by barapistis(m): 6:52am On Nov 07, 2013
to add more,i thinks mikr is more into wireless networking ,worked with this router once...the time frame of ten days is enough,peps are even doing it here in 4 days,

But dont start with mikrotics my broda,am an it instructor ,so i some how know how you may mess up the whole show if you dont start in the right path...
Re: Which Is Recommended For IT Startup? Mikrotik Vs Cisco (MTCNA Vs CCNA) by hackthen: 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2014
Hi There,

You should start with the CCNA

Mikrotik is a tool that you use in the trade

A small analogy. I you have a farm and you want to learn how to farm, you pick a jembe and start digging

Since you are learning the ropes of digging you will need to learn abit on how to hold the jembe, rate of digging, when and where to dig etc.

This part you are acquiring your education and you do not put pressure on yourself for a bumper harvest, since you are still training.

Then you exercise until you are competent enough and then you have your style of digging and preferences as well

So CCNA and MTCNA.

CCNA gives you a good grounding on NW terms, technologies, what goes where and general theme of how Networks run

Then after some time of using the kit you realise that many clients are after reliable excellent service and not really what is offering the service.

To be blunt, if it was offered via witchcraft and you didnt make them aware it, they wouldnt care. As long as service is excellent, that is all they care.

Here is where other NW products come in. Mikrotik for feature rich kernels without any pricing models etc. Juniper as well for being a price cheaper that Ciscos

Now Ciscos have a bigger economic ecosystem to maintain that is why its a ""better" product. In the real world though with SMEs where value is more important than brand marquee. They just need basic infrastructure, with realiability. The SME market space is quite broad in these parts of the world, Africa

So The cheaper the service can be acquired the better. The Ciscos on the hand play well in the Big enterprise market because you need a bigger support engineer base coz of scale involved.

Ciscos again have better hardware form factors for lengthy uptime

This being constant, the Mikrotik also supports lengthy if properly configured

I have run some for 400 days with results pasted somewhere online <search>

At the end of it, is acquiring the education then once out here in real world, you can use the knowledge to pick your jembe.

The COMPENSATION of your knowledge should be as a result of how you use it, not acquiring it. Remember there are too many CCNAs out here and to be sifted as a better of the breed, you have to have SKILL not just paper! That will put cassava on the plate.

Kit we use: Mikrotik, Juniper, Checkpoint, Untangle, Linux homebrews, Cisco, Microsoft, Novell, Oracle, Sun, HP etc.
Daily experience: design, log to this and that CLI, configure, harden and hand over.
Small CV: We run About 100 geographically spaced network nodes with users up to 5000 in the SME market somewhere in Sub sahara

(1) (Reply)

How Good Is Software Engineering Study In India? / Programming Challenge For Beginners Competition Two N20000 -SEASON 2- / 2022 Experiment 1: Becoming A Product Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.