Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,010 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? (41665 Views)

How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / How Do You Call These Colours In Your Local Dialect? / Can you translate this Colours In Your Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by EzePromoe: 7:50pm On Sep 27, 2013
Look no further, I come here with the answers to your question.
IN IGBO,

Red - Uhie
Orange - Oroma/uhiedo
Yellow - Edo
Green - Ndu Ndu
Blue - Anunu
Purple - Ugo
Pink - Uhie ocha
Brown - Uri
Black - Oji
Grey - Ucha nzu
White - Ocha
Gold - Olaedo
Silver - Olaocha

10 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Evestar200(f): 7:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
Mayany: Languages too plenty 4 9ja sef which state is Isi izu again?To d topic the Urhobos call Black»Obiebi
White»ofuanfo
Red»Obara{blood}etc
obara na blood while owaware na RED
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by adaberry(f): 8:43pm On Sep 27, 2013
[size=30pt]IGBO[/size]
Red:Obara obara
Black:Ojii or Itiri
White:Ocha
Yellow:Oyibo or ododo
Blue:Elu igwe or
Grey:Anwu anwu
Gold:Oloegbo or ola edo
Indigo:Ere
There is a color called 'yoruba' in Igbo language, I mean more like 'yorooba'. ....lemme ask my grandma

3 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by adaberry(f): 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2013
Eze Promoe: Look no further, I come here with the answers to your question.
IN IGBO,

Red - Uhie
Orange - Oroma/uhiedo
Yellow - Edo
Green - Ndu Ndu
Blue - Anunu
Purple - Ugo
Pink - Uhie ocha
Brown - Uri
Black - Oji
Grey - Ucha nzu
White - Ocha
Gold - Olaedo
Silver - Olaocha
Yhu so ON POINT!
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Mukaz: 9:01pm On Sep 27, 2013
Lionbite: In yoruba we say
red- pupa
black- dudu
white- funfun
i dont know the rest o.....but we do improvise sha so..
Blue- bluuuu
Green- griiini
purple- popu......
wait let me go and check my beans on the stove.
blue-ami aro. Green-ami ewe.I don't no d yoruba name of purple
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Godson201333(m): 9:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
toluxa1: Indigo - I no know ooo ...lol
Ok.. In Yoruba

White - Funfun
Black - dúdú
Blue - àwö sánmà
Brown - àwö ara
Yellow - ìyèyè
Gold - wúrà
Silver - fàdákà
Grey - àwö eléérú
Pink - pupa fêêrê
Red - Pupa
Purple - àwö elésè àlùkò

Green - àwö ewéko / aligà

ha bros che you be Cele pastkor abi babalwo this one wey you sabi all colors??
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by toluxa1(m): 9:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
webdezzi:

God bless ur local government

Lolz, Amen oo - Ifelodun

Hopez456: You really tried, you must have got a B.A in Yoruba

hahaha, not really o. I have a B.Tech in Mathematics/Computer Sci.... they are kinda related sha grin

felifeli:

Well done O kare!
Indigo - aro
Ese gan sirr! Aro! Had no idea o

ayobase:

Ooooooooooose!
grin cheesy
ola@NL:
i am just feeling your yoruba smiley we need more people like you in the society. smiley

Thanks bro

sanb: Wa gbayi!!!You nailed it...... cool

Abi ooo
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by toluxa1(m): 9:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
Godson201333:

ha bros che you be Cele pastkor abi babalwo this one wey you sabi all colors??

Hahaha, cele boo? I no be cele oo.

Talking about cele, I took this pix about 4 years ago, just found it today

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by ezeagu(m): 9:06pm On Sep 27, 2013
Igbo

4 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by kflexxy(m): 9:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
I don't know anything about dat..
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by ezeagu(m): 9:29pm On Sep 27, 2013
IN IGBO,

Red - Uhie
Orange - Oroma/uhiedo
Yellow - Edo
Green - Ndu Ndu
Blue - Anunu
Purple - Ugo
Pink - Uhie ocha
Brown - Uri
Black - Oji
Grey - Ucha nzu
White - Ocha
Gold - Olaedo
Silver - Olaocha

What is the tone for brown ("uri" ) and what do you call indigo (I call it uri)?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Mfonbah(m): 9:30pm On Sep 27, 2013
In Ibibio:
White- Afia
Black- Abobed
Green- Awawa
Red- Ndaidad
Mak I c my grandma,I d com
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Muh(m): 9:32pm On Sep 27, 2013
In Ebira
White-Ovuovu
Black- Ojioji
Red- Ovivi
Orange- Oromi
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Soloter(m): 9:37pm On Sep 27, 2013
in Tiv of Benue;
Red - Nyian dindee
Orange - agbedang fuung
Yellow - agbedang
Green - sholshol
Blue - kwer
Purple - fuung
Pink - Nyian
Brown - Nyian fuung
Black - ii
Grey - ikyaren
White - pupuu
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Kessythegeek(m): 9:55pm On Sep 27, 2013
Never actually thought of this lool o.o
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 27, 2013
Wow its been long my mind crossed that. i know about half. i know red (uhe) black (oji) white (ucha) brown (ntu) e.t.c
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by jeebz: 10:48pm On Sep 27, 2013
toluxa1:

Lolz, Amen oo - Ifelodun

hahaha, not really o. I have a B.Tech in Mathematics/Computer Sci.... they are kinda related sha grin

Ese gan sirr! Aro! Had no idea o

grin cheesy

Thanks bro

Abi ooo

Ifelodun tibo niyen se Ipinle Osun tabi Kwara?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by okiuso(m): 10:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
red - ara ara
blue - blue
green - nfib nfib
pink - irughu
black - ebidi bede

ORON LANG. AKS
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Funjosh(m): 12:08am On Sep 28, 2013
fpeter: red in my native tongue is called ODODO
White is OCHA

are u and Idomalite?
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by ketoprofen(m): 12:49am On Sep 28, 2013
babyosisi:

Red in Igbo is Obara Obara or uhie uhie
Yellow is odo odo
Orange is nmanu nmanu
Black is oji
White is ocha
Green is Akwukwo ndu Akwukwo ndu
Brown is ururo ururo ( mud)
Brown is ntu ntu

That is the much I know
Heard my grandma use those words,confirmed from mom

Good.
Red is also mmee mmee.
Yellow -thought its edo edo
Gery-ntu ntu
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by DeSheikh(m): 1:11am On Sep 28, 2013
Mubby4luv: LOL.
Hausa on point.
1 bak'i-black
2 fari -white
3 ja -red
4 ja-ja- pink
5 kore- green
6 launin jar garura -purple
7 launoni-colors
8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown
9 mai ruwan lemo -orange
10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray
11 rawaye -yellow
12 shud'i -blue

Atafa maka mutumina, ka gama dasu. ai sai hausa wallahi. banda fari da ja da baki, basu da sunan suran launonin.

Meaning: Standing Ovation man! You've beaten them all! No doubt Hausa is the only language that's got it all. Aside white, red and black, most other tribes don't have local names for other colours and I speak a couple of Nigerian languages apart from my mother tongue (Hausa).
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Codedeben: 1:38am On Sep 28, 2013
I rep Egun (REPUBLIC DU BENIN)
black -ori
blue - gbogbo
red-won
yellow- ti
indigo- daru
pink- walahi
grey-wannan
violet-Saboda
brown -rashin
gold-aiki

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by EzePromoe: 1:58am On Sep 28, 2013
ezeagu:

What is the tone for brown ("uri" ) and what do you call indigo (I call it uri)?

It is pronounced "Ùrí" .
Origin: Brown earth is called ùrí, where cocoyam (ede uri) is cultivated.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 2:38am On Sep 28, 2013
ezeagu: Igbo

And ezeagu adds atilogwu colors to the whole exercise
Sweet
You missed out the h in nchara btw
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Kokolett(f): 4:17am On Sep 28, 2013
Freiburger: I believe every colour has a name in every language.
Apart from the popular black and white most of us know about, do you know the names of the basic popular colours in your local language?
If yes, please enter the names against this list of these basic colours in your local language. You can add more colours at your own wish.

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black
Grey
White

Names for colours in Igbo language are:

Red - Ọbara/uhie
Orange - Mmanụ mmanụ
Yellow - edo-edo
Green - Ndụndụ
Blue - Anunuu
Purple - ódódó
Brown - Nchárá
Black - Oji
Grey - Ntụntụ
White- Ọcha
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:42am On Sep 28, 2013
I have like 3 languages. In welsh (Wales United Kingdom): Red: coch, yellow: melyn, green: gwyrdd, blue: glas, pink: pinc, purple: porffor, white: gwyn, black: du, orange: oren, brown: brown, grey: llwyd, gold: aur, silver: arian.
Those are the basic colours. Its good to bear in mind that most English words have their origin from ancient Wales, therefore, some words colours like brown still maintained its real name and the "k" in pink is replaced with a "c" cheers all.
In the igbo language (Nigeria West Africa): red: mme mme/obara, yellow: edo edo, green: akwukwo ndu, blue: ocha elu igwe, pink: no idea, purple: ocha ka ube, white: ocha, black: oji, orange: mmanu, brown: uro uro/apiti, grey: awo, ash: ntu, gold: ola edo/anyanwu, silver: ola ocha.
Another person has posted in yoruba, so I need not do that anymore.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by Nobody: 5:50am On Sep 28, 2013
Mubby4luv: LOL.
Hausa on point.
1 bak'i-black
2 fari -white
3 ja -red
4 ja-ja- pink
5 kore- green
6 launin jar garura -purple
7 launoni-colors
8 mai ruwan k'asa -brown
9 mai ruwan lemo -orange
10 mai ruwan toka-toka -gray
11 rawaye -yellow
12 shud'i -blue

Mu sha hannu Jare! Kai uban uban su ne fa o!
Sannun kwu jama'a.
I also speak hausa and this man is indeed a Sheikh, a maestro in the language.
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by emmabest2000(m): 6:05am On Sep 28, 2013
JMOI: I'm Igbo so let's do it this way:

Red -- Obara obara or mme mme or uhie uhie or ufie ufie
Orange -- oroma oroma wink
Yellow -- edo edo
Green -- ndu ndu
Blue -- anunu
Purple -- n/a
Pink -- n/a
Brown -- Ulo ulo
Black -- Oji
Grey -- ntu ntu
White -- ocha
nice one
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by emmabest2000(m): 6:07am On Sep 28, 2013
Kokolett:

Names for colours in Igbo language are:

Red - Ọbara/uhie
Orange - Mmanụ mmanụ
Yellow - edo-edo
Green - Ndụndụ
Blue - Anunuu
Purple - ódódó
Brown - Nchárá
Black - Oji
Grey - Ntụntụ
White- Ọcha
good but what about pink ? grin
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by emmabest2000(m): 6:11am On Sep 28, 2013
ezeagu: Igbo

good
Re: Do You Know The Names Of Basic Colours In Your Local Language? by emmabest2000(m): 6:13am On Sep 28, 2013
IN IGBO,

Red - Uhie
Orange - Oroma/uhiedo
Yellow - Edo
Green - Ndu Ndu
Blue - Anunu
Purple - Ugo
Pink - Uhie ocha
Brown - Uri
Black - Oji
Grey - Ucha nzu
White - Ocha
Gold - Olaedo
Silver - Olaocha
correct one here Ezigbo Nwa afo Igbo ,
Oga- diri gi Mma grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yoruba Names For Girls And Their Meaning / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Photo Of Ooni Enitan Adeyeye-Ogunwusi As A Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.