Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,888 members, 7,806,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:27 PM

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair (62079 Views)

The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / Top 10 Most Spoken Languages In All Of Africa / Beautiful Faces Of Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:38pm On Sep 27, 2013
Claim your heritage as we make a month of October, the first Nairaland celebrated African cultures fare.

Here is how we are going to do it;

First week we will be showcasing the traditional dresses, for both maidens and Warriors.

Second week will be for food....showcasing our traditional dishes and elaborating on how they are prepared.

Third week...we look at our ancestors dwellings.

And fourth week grin grin

Volunteers will tell us what makes their culture different, the cultural dances, how the girls are wooed, how is marriage performed and what is expected of a newly wed daughter in law by her inlaws etc, you can add your own, come let's have fun.

6 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 27, 2013
Love this sister!! Can't wait to learn about other culturessmiley
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
Here is how to roll it....For week one

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:57pm On Sep 27, 2013
For week two....cry can't find a traditional.

For week 3, the insert picture serves for week 3

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 3:59pm On Sep 27, 2013
Ok, that was just an example, real fun should start on the first of October....see you soon. wink
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by topas100(m): 4:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
Supported

3 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 4:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
topas100: Supported
thanks
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ATMC(f): 4:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
mmmmhhhh...NO DULL MOMENT WIF YHU @OP #smilesssss

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:13pm On Sep 27, 2013
ATMC: mmmmhhhh...NO DULL MOMENT WIF YHU @OP #smilesssss
Thanks ATMC wink
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by somal: 7:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
Somali traditional dress styles for women

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:26pm On Sep 27, 2013
Those are beautiful.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by somal: 8:35pm On Sep 27, 2013
Somali clothing

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ok, the thread is officially Open grin

Come let's have fun.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by ERF: 10:20am On Oct 02, 2013
Where is Somali? Is it thesame as Somalia?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:07am On Oct 02, 2013
E<R>F:
I think so
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 11:24am On Oct 02, 2013
Zulu attire loading...

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 02, 2013
E<R>F:
Somali is a tribe, found in Kenya and Somalia. Somalia is a country.

Bapedi attire loading...
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
Waiting kiss
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by stonemind(f): 12:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
i beg wetin concern me with this tr*sh?
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by banky222: 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: Those are beautiful.
FINE
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Ichliebedich(f): 1:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
Okay, lets see how this goes
Esan pple of Edo state

4 Likes

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by otijah(m): 1:37pm On Oct 02, 2013
@op this one that am an osu and I dnt belong to a culture. Am I welcomed in the thread.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
[size=15pt]The Iria[/size]

The Iria is a rite performed by the females of the African Okrika tribe. Girls from the ages of fourteen to sixteen enter into "fatting rooms" where they are fed rich local foods to make the body "come out." They are taught by the elderly women of the egbelereme society to sing the traditional Iria songs. It is believed among these people that young girls form romantic attachments to water spirits. Before they are considered marriageable and allowed to receive mortal suitors, they must first free themselves from these attachments. This is accomplished by the coming together of the girls at the river on successive dawns to sing the songs they have learned. On the final day, the initiates return to the riverbank and the water spirits are expected to attempt to seize the girls by force. This can be prevented by the Osokolo, a member of owuper society (the male counterpart of the egbelereme). He strikes the girls with sticks, driving them back to the village, ensuring both their safety and future fertility (Gleason & Ibubuya, 1991).

www.1naijatv.com

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by adexsimply(m): 1:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:41pm On Oct 02, 2013
What is happening here?
HumbledbYGrace get me my glasses.
My old age is telling on me.
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by yeyeman92(m): 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Oga leave this matter.. Jst go drink kunu wey u de drink
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Yaaaay!!! Repping Cross River. TeamYakurr

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Lilchilz(m): 1:45pm On Oct 02, 2013
nairaland is really proqressinq.....

Dis is really impressing
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Ishilove: 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2013
stone-mind:
i beg wetin concern me with this tr*sh?
I can see you manifesting your username: blockhead. Did anyone force you to comment?? Olodo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by homesteady(m): 1:47pm On Oct 02, 2013
OP, onila will soon come and scatter your threads with plenty pictures grin this is her favourite topic!

1 Like

Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by sagewonders(m): 1:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
Have you ever think of having your own bulksms website. I have goodnews for you. You can get a reliable bulksms website like www.superbsms.com FREE. You will Only pay for Domain N4,000 only. This offer ends today. Call 08135146188 2go sagewonders
Re: Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair by Smartjeezy(m): 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2013
Ishilove:
I can see you manifesting your username: blockhead. Did anyone force you to comment?? Olodo
Dont mind that callow and idiota jare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.