Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:41 PM

Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. (48087 Views)

An Open Letter To Buhari By A Graduate Male Nurse / 5 Solid Advantages Of Marrying A Nurse. / The Challenges Of Being A Female Pilot In The Nigerian Aviation Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by lepasharon(f): 12:04am On Nov 17, 2014
Bridgetown:
I am a male nurse and there is no discrimination whatsoever, my only problem is doctors used to hijack all my pretty female colleagues thereby living me to search for the female student nurses that are also being taken by those yeye doctors.

the doctors toast the nurses?
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by lyna10(f): 12:04am On Nov 17, 2014
iceberylin:
grin
Lol....they be holding ya ass
Hahaaha... Where I schooled, we refer to them as 'woman wrapper' ;

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 17, 2014
If you want to be emasculated, then be a Male Nurse. Why not put the same effort and a little more to be a Doctor?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by pussyeater(m): 12:06am On Nov 17, 2014
christejames:
Should i comment? embarassed
I won buy us space
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Richy4(m): 12:06am On Nov 17, 2014
It is just an African thing with their Ego as high as mount Everest.

What's the big deal about being a male nurse? there are so many i repeat so many Nigerians who are male nurses Abroad. and they are payed nicely. When will the orientation of some Nigerians change and when will they realize that there is dignity in labor.

5 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by plendil: 12:10am On Nov 17, 2014
lyna10:
To me, I always feel that naturally nursing as a profession is for the females. So I don't see any reason as to why men should enter into such profession. It doesn't bring out the real men in them. We fail to understand that God gave women the most special gift of caring and so the females are better off doing such work than the males.

Did you say caring? Sorry ma'am, it obviously doesn't apply to Nigerian Nurses, especially the Public hospitals.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 17, 2014
lepasharon:

the doctors toast the nurses?

Do they toast again in Nigeria? With all the green and yellow lights from ladies who are desperately looking for a big salary earner Na Wetin man want toast for again...
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Larow(m): 12:11am On Nov 17, 2014
It could be annoying though but all I tell female patients who don't want me to touch them is to use some medical terminologies which I know they can't understand to scare them. On Hearing such terminologies, female patients who don't want to fall victim releases themselves. But wait o! I wonder why the female nurses don't face such challenges with male patients.

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 17, 2014
lyna10:

Hahaaha... Where I schooled, we refer to them as 'woman wrapper' ;

Hahaha...they are known as "tampon holders" here. Most them walk like women...catwalk and talk in chichi voice!

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by plendil: 12:13am On Nov 17, 2014
iceberylin:

They be getting hard-On shocked

They see thousands on a daily basis, so one more wouldn't make much difference.

4 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Lexusgs430: 12:13am On Nov 17, 2014
The bias against male nurses, is a mentality of the past !!!
Male Nurses due to mentality of the past, are generally more caring, due to handicap the profession faces due to biased perception.
If a lady needs a Nurse to care for her, I do not think she would care, if a monkey, lion or male nurses tended to her medical needs.
Males should practice nursing, with no fear or favour.
Nursing in the 20th century, recognises no sex gender !!!

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 17, 2014
Dahjhi:

am telling you.. Nothing z good like a female nurse.. Remembered the next nurse was so friendly and calm..
even some female nurse are so mean and unfriendly
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by dainformant(m): 12:14am On Nov 17, 2014
Male nurses are always sidelined in Nigeria....It's not easy thoo...Read about the vigours and rigors of a male Ebola volunteer here ; http://www.nationalhelm.com/2014/09/the-rigours-and-vigours-of-ebola.html
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by yomi007k(m): 12:16am On Nov 17, 2014
Penuelseun:
But those male nurses 4 gyneocology dey enjoy o, imagine free access to view different colours & shapes of kitten in 3D
Dt shit is disgusting when ur working.

2 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by uken73(m): 12:19am On Nov 17, 2014
Larow:
It could be annoying though but all I tell female patients who don't want me to touch them is to use some medical terminologies which I know they can't understand to scare them. On Hearing such terminologies, female patients who don't want to fall victim releases themselves. But wait o! I wonder why the female nurses don't face such challenges with male patients.
I prefer a male nurse/doctor to a female. There are things that can be embarrassing to share with a female. And I'd be even more embarrassed to be injected by a female.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by plendil: 12:21am On Nov 17, 2014
Larow:

Da fuq?? You mean a sick patient actually refused to be treated by nurse simply because he's male?

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Dahjhi: 12:21am On Nov 17, 2014
claireshan:
even some female nurse are so mean and unfriendly
yes true!! But we have quite percentage of wonderful ones... But males sha...Even of they are not meant to be mean, the masculinity in them will have to show somehow.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:21am On Nov 17, 2014
hmmm...
I have never met one though, or maybe I mistake them for doctors.
Naturally I prefer dealing with men, male doctors, male bankers...male everything/anything. The female nurses are usually aggressive, especially the single ones (no offense)...that's my observation.

I love my male gynae though - the way the guy does like he isn't seeing anything is epic...lol. Over the years, I have come to be very comfortable with male medical practitioners.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Empiree: 12:22am On Nov 17, 2014
i work in medical field as a nurse. The thing is anyone can be a nurse, male or female. And yes, the title "nurse" sounds feminine but as world turns men are also desperate for this professional job. It's a bit less affordable to be nurse than Doctor.

As for assignment, I never had female patient and i dont want to. I do not think there is State or Federal restriction on assignments. I think it depends on agency you work for. Many agencies understand "nature" of men. Men are created with haste, urge etc. Should they sight female's part, they develop sexual attraction especially if you have work with a female patient having urological problems. Meaning you have to work around her private part. For example to clean catheter and tube, this female patient will have to open her legs wide open for male nurse to treat her the same way he treats male. That's too graphic.

Male nurse who cant hold himself will get in trouble grin . Therefore most agencies do not assign male nurse to female patient. vis-à-vis, yes. In hospitals or nursing homes may be a little different.

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:28am On Nov 17, 2014
Dahjhi:

yes true!! But we have quite percentage of wonderful ones... But male shall. Even of they are not meant to be mean, the masculinity in them will have to show somehow.
Yea you are right

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by lepasharon(f): 12:43am On Nov 17, 2014
Larow:

You should let them request for a female undecided
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 12:44am On Nov 17, 2014
Yes!! To male nurses smiley

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by wunderkiind(m): 12:46am On Nov 17, 2014
Clakyvip:
I am a proud male Nurse...well, it is challenging to b a male nurse here in Nigeria...but nursing is more than a profession...it is a calling...so facing challenges is part of d job...v faced many challenges in d gynae section...but u jst v to educate pple n carry on wt your Job. Jah bless.
could you kindly share your experiences with us, and also expantiate on some of those challenges faced tenk.
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by lepasharon(f): 12:48am On Nov 17, 2014
Empiree:
i work in medical field as a nurse. The thing is anyone can be a nurse, male or female. And yes, the title "nurse" sounds feminine but as world turns men are also desperate for this professional job. It's a bit less affordable to be nurse than Doctor.

As for assignment, I never had female patient and i dont want to. I do not think there is State or Federal restriction on assignments. I think it depends on agency you work for. Many agencies understand "nature" of men. Men are created with haste, urge etc. Should they sight female's part, they develop sexual attraction especially if you have work with a female patient having urological problems. Meaning you have to work around her private part. For example to clean catheter and tube, this female patient will have to open her legs wide open for male nurse to treat her the same way he treats male. That's too graphic.

Male nurse who cant hold himself will get in trouble grin . Therefore most agencies do not assign male nurse to female patient. vis-à-vis, yes. In hospitals or nursing homes may be a little different.

How can the nurse afford to be getting aroused what happened to being professional ? undecided

5 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by nursemyke: 12:53am On Nov 17, 2014
lyna10:
To me, I always feel that naturally nursing as a profession is for the females. So I don't see any reason as to why men should enter into such profession. It doesn't bring out the real men in them. We fail to understand that God gave women the most special gift of caring and so the females are better off doing such work than the males.

@Lyna, you are very wrong about the gift of caring, I am a Nurse and I have one of the best testimonials from my clients. I am very gifted and and I have other male Nurses here who have done very well too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Empiree: 12:54am On Nov 17, 2014
lepasharon:

How can the nurse afford to be getting aroused what happened to being professional ? undecided
You think we all the same?. There are perverted folks out there in this profession. You never heard of male nurse (and) even female nurse intimating with patient? They lose sense of professionalism if pressure mounts.

3 Likes

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Dextra(f): 1:01am On Nov 17, 2014
**Job prospect for male nurses is very high and will continue to increase as most employers (occupational, Emergency, Operating Theater) often prefer male nurses! Male nurses are also the agent of change that we need in the nursing profession. Yes, Male nurses are kinder than any "regular" male out there. They make great nurses.

**I know that most female patients often want male nurses to attend to them while male patients like female nurses.

***Male nurses often find it challenging dating or marrying from other profession (doctors, bankers, lawyers) because of stereotype that they are "sissy" so most of them marry their fellow female nurses and I must tell you, they make great couples!!!

** Many patients often refer to male nurses as "doctors" because it's had to tell the difference as nursing scrubs are becoming so popular and most healthcare workers wear scrubs.

** Most male nurses are also very very intelligent as majority of them often go further to become medical doctors especially after getting humiliated by House officers.

** I know a couple of male nurses, they are very cool, kind, and loving.
So, you are very fortunate to have the opportunity to studying nursing as a male. You will make a lot of difference. MALE NURSES ARE HELPING TO PROMOTE BETTER REPUTATION OF NURSING

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by wunderkiind(m): 1:07am On Nov 17, 2014
Kachisbarbie:
hmmm...
I have never met one though, or maybe I mistake them for doctors.
Naturally I prefer dealing with men, male doctors, male bankers...male everything/anything. The female nurses are usually aggressive, especially the single ones (no offense)...that's my observation.

I love my male gynae though - the way the guy does like he isn't seeing anything is epic...lol. Over the years, I have come to be very comfortable with male medical practitioners.
...lol grin

1 Like

Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Youngsage: 1:28am On Nov 17, 2014
hmmm... interesting!
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by gbodimowo(m): 1:34am On Nov 17, 2014
yomi007k:

Dt shit is disgusting when ur working.

Exactly all these perverted guys and ladies ehn
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by Nobody: 1:39am On Nov 17, 2014
I prefer male nurses though...the degree nurses who can as well get masters degrees and phd and eventually because profs
Re: Challenges Of Being A Male Nurse. by nursemyke: 1:39am On Nov 17, 2014
Its very challenging of a truth but very interesting too. For the upcoming males who intend to come into Nursing, you are welcome. Do not attempt to go to the convectional school of nursing, obtain your basic O level qualifications, write and pass your JAMB or A level Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Zoology, then proceed to any University of choice for your Nursing Education. Do not mind the myth about school of nursing graduates being proficient clinically more than the university graduates. Proficiency is all about you. During your clinical postings as undergraduate, utilize those periods very well, ask questions from the ward sister, matron, House officers, pharmacy interns, medical consultants, residents be friendly to them. Read very wide, dont limit yourself to small books. Download videos from youtube on clinical nursing practices. Acquaint yourself with ICT skills, try and graduate with good grades and honours. You will be celebrated when you start to practice.
Nursing as a male is very very interesting if you know what you are doing. All your practices must be evidence based, always strive to be a goal getter. Have a good and excellent communication skill, learn the art of good report writing, be radical to the core and be very political in your approaches.

I enjoy doing my job, most client look WOW when I address myself a Nurse rather than a Doctor. I do my job with all dexterity, commitment and dedication. I have never been looked down on since I began to practice. I was honored that I was less than a year in service, that is I have not been confirmed when I was sent on In-Service training for specialization in Anaesthesia, I was released to go for my Masters degree. I use the masculine sexuality to win over the dorminat female colleagues.
The most challenging aspect of my job is now how to balance work relationships and my immediate family. I am beginning to have issues with my wife over excessive calls from clients most of which are females.

16 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Female Soldier Who Passed Through 'hell' To Become An Army Officer Shares Photos / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? / Colonel SJ Dibal, The Commanding Officer Of First Nigerian All Female Battalion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.