Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? (131541 Views)

Some Courses To Study In Nigeria Before Coming Over To America / I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 1:44am On Sep 29, 2013
One thing Nairaland has taught me; I have learned that so many Nigerians living in Nigeria want anything BUT Nigeria. Some make it a lifelong MISSION to come to America where they "believe" it is the "LAND OF THE FREE" and "ANYONE" can make it. These Nigerians save and save and hustle to DO ANYTHING to come to "America" / Yankee. They give up EVERYTHING they ever had or knew to come and "enjoy" greener pastures (or so their TVs informed them). However 5 years into staying in America they realize that Life was more manageable than they could ever imagine in America. Here are some pointers on the REAL AMERICA, to those living in America feel free to add in.

1. America is NOT FUN when you do not know anybody. If you are coming here "on your own" and THINK you can easily "settle down", think again. You need an address at the airport and almost everything you need to do here requires an address. Ekene your "guy" from primary 6 can only allow you stay in his house for so long before he will require you to pay rent. Tosin your paddy from Lagos is not going to be your guide forever which leads to the next bit

2.Nothing is free in America. Absolutely nothing. DO NOT expect Okwudili to give you a ride to work, he will ask you for gas money. You are either going to join Okwudili in "hustling" or get your own life, which you will learn is HARD especially for immigrants.

3. Life is toughER for Immigrants in America. From not having a SSN to get jobs, to people simply discriminating for your "accent". You will LEARN that America is not the least bit tolerant for immigrants. Especially if you come to places that are predominantly white. Unfortunately what I end up seeing Nigerians adopt is the "akata" way. A LOT of them end up trying to speak ebonics and they just sound stupid and ridiculous. "nigggaz is tryna hoop yo". No. Your azz never hooped before when did you become a "niggga tryna hoop"?

4. Dressing. Appearance is EVERYTHING [img]http://loladesowoolu.files./2011/02/dis-n-dart-eldee.jpg[/img]

These are NOT, repeat, NOT "american" dressing. The earlier you learn the better. The "americans" who dress that way are SEVERELY DISCRIMINATED AND MARGINALIZED in society. Sure you may say, well the "wealthy" american hiphop stars dress that way....Guess what. Those who do are DISCRIMINATED against. Don't believe me - check...a lot end up in jail etc. The "REAL wealthy ones" a la Jay z and Sean Combs DO NOT, dress that way. A word is enough for the wise.

[img]http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/3952559+_32f833b5d94d8672fba5fa70599ca54b.jpg[/img]

5. You learn quickly that America is NOT the land of the free and get crammed up with "the rest" so 5 years in you start to fight hard to PROVE you are not like "THEM". You get mad when people say you are "black"

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Black+People+Problems.+This+is+a+repost+but+of+my_906b64_3952559.jpg[/img] [img]http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/Or+belts+_82040ac9119c9baf304ec6a77f453fec.jpg[/img]

6. The America on TV is NOT the same as the REAL America. The skyscrapers and beautiful scenes from Tv shows and movies are just in a few places. Downtown, NYC, Miami, LA, DC. Just like you have SOME VERY beautiful places in Abuja, and Lagos. The real america, sometimes looks like this

[img]http://swordattheready.files./2013/07/black-ghetto.jpg[/img]
(this is actually a GOOD picture of NY) ask

Bmore

[img]http://4.bp..com/-Jj_rbhvlrxc/TwdyQ7MMhHI/AAAAAAAACtI/8iJR4M2NiGA/s1600/baltimore%2Bghetto.jpg[/img]
Miami
MIAMI
Miami
Florida
Los Angeles
LA
Oakland California
Atlanta
Atlanta
Washington DC, couple blocks from the White House, you can see this mess from the white house

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 1:51am On Sep 29, 2013
Nice article...

Though i disagree with you that the America being shown on TV is not the real America. It's the real America just like those ghettos that you posted. There are good and bad places in any part of the world but i can assure you one thing. There are more ghettos where those you're advising are coming. Infact, i think it's dumpsite cos those ghetto picture you posted is like heaven to a lot of Ajegunle peeps.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Allohrandy(m): 2:08am On Sep 29, 2013
Those are black Areas. You hardly see whites living in those streets. cities like Oakland, Baltimore, DC, ATL, Bronx NY and detriot has a very high black population. The fact is whites are well off than blacks in America because of discrimination and racism. The black unemployment rate is twice that of whites. There are more black men in prisons than they are in colleges. Infact 1 out of 7 black men in America is either in jail or has been in prison. The America system has failed black people in US and proverty rate among blacks is higher than any other race. Infact a white man with a criminal record has a higher chance of getting a job than a black man with a college degree because White still control US economy and they are very few black millioniares in American. most of the black millioniares are either in sports or entertaiment and you hardly see black American millioniares in wall street. 50 years after Martin Luther King died there is still racism in America

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 2:17am On Sep 29, 2013
Allohrandy: The fact is whites are well off than blacks in America because of discrimination and racism. The black unemployment rate is twice that of whites. There are more black men in prisons than they are in colleges. Infact 1 out of 7 black men in America is either in jail or has been in prison. The America system has failed black people in US and proverty rate among blacks is higher than any other race. Infact a white man with a criminal record has a higher chance of getting a job than a black man with a college degree because White still control US economy and they are very few black millioniares in American. most of the black millioniares are either in sports or entertaiment and you hardly see black American millioniares in wall street. 50 years after Martin Luther King died there is still racism in America
Things have definitely gotten better since Martin Luther King and they will keep getting better for Black people in America. The fact that you have a black president does not give credence to the gargantuan racism that you have painted. Granted that there is racism in America just like everywhere in the world including Nigeria, i think the minority population have been given the opportunity to succeed through affirmative action and other policies and some have taken that opportunity. It will take a very long time to see a massive effect of these policies cos blacks have been dealt a deadly blow in the past.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:16am On Sep 29, 2013
Thanks. It pays to have a REALISTIC expectation coming "abroad". What happens is some nigerians end up becoming "nurses", janitors, cleaners, Mcdonald workers etc. Simply because they had a very uber utopian view of America. Just like the ads on American tv about "Africa" reeks of hungry children (while we know that some people in Lekki alone can afford to buy private jets), the America on Nigerian Tv is all about skyscrapers and money making. NOT TRUE.

Afam4eva: Nice article...

Though i disagree with you that the America being shown on TV is not the real America. It's the real America just like those ghettos that you posted. There are good and bad places in any part of the world but i can assure you one thing. There are more ghettos where those you're advising are coming. Infact, i think it's dumpsite cos those ghetto picture you posted is like heaven to a lot of Ajegunle peeps.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Godson201333(m): 4:20am On Sep 29, 2013
I am living in Europe and i am starting to believe that this racism thingy can be favorable at times.You see that is why Europe is very cleaned and organized than USA.I know there too and when i say very clean i mean very clean but the racism here is higher than USA.

It is just because we black people some of us are violent,dangerous and some do not even have focus.If you see people fighting here they are blacks,If they organize a party they are gonna fight at the end,many of us are just bad..

The rate of blacks going to school here too is very low,we just wanna make quick money.

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:20am On Sep 29, 2013
Oh...But do the "naija boys" seeking "opportunity" know this?

Will a Nigerian boy who hustled his way out of nigerian likely end up in a "white neighborhood"? and even if he does, will he welcomed with open arms? Does he know what he is facing when he LEAVES NIGERIA, where he is A FREE MAN? Does he know he will be CLASSED as a black man? Does he know that if he lives in NY police can frisk him anytime and send him to jail? No. He thinks the America on TV = America of real life NOT knowing that the Americans on TV are the uppities. The group that are apologetic are the nigerian hip hop artists/actors WHO see "american rappers" and want to look, act, dress and talk like them!

MEANWHILE blacks in America who are GOING UP, are dissociating from the pictures of blacks in fitted hats, Nigerians are GRABBING what Americans are discarding as BACKWARD culture....SMH

Allohrandy: Those are black Areas. You hardly see whites living in those streets. cities like Oakland, Baltimore, DC, ATL, Bronx NY and detriot has a very high black population. The fact is whites are well off than blacks in America because of discrimination and racism. The black unemployment rate is twice that of whites. There are more black men in prisons than they are in colleges. Infact 1 out of 7 black men in America is either in jail or has been in prison. The America system has failed black people in US and proverty rate among blacks is higher than any other race. Infact a white man with a criminal record has a higher chance of getting a job than a black man with a college degree because White still control US economy and they are very few black millioniares in American. most of the black millioniares are either in sports or entertaiment and you hardly see black American millioniares in wall street. 50 years after Martin Luther King died there is still racism in America

11 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:24am On Sep 29, 2013
There are FEW hip hop millionaires. Don't believe the hype and all they SAY on their CDs.... The master money makers are Dr Dre, Sean Combs, Jay Z, 50 Cent, Birdman. Everybody else is making under $1m. Drake is not even worth $5m. the athletes ... maybe, but the athletes basketball players have "promised money".

Allohrandy: Those are black Areas. You hardly see whites living in those streets. cities like Oakland, Baltimore, DC, ATL, Bronx NY and detriot has a very high black population. The fact is whites are well off than blacks in America because of discrimination and racism. The black unemployment rate is twice that of whites. There are more black men in prisons than they are in colleges. Infact 1 out of 7 black men in America is either in jail or has been in prison. The America system has failed black people in US and proverty rate among blacks is higher than any other race. Infact a white man with a criminal record has a higher chance of getting a job than a black man with a college degree because White still control US economy and they are very few black millioniares in American. most of the black millioniares are either in sports or entertaiment and you hardly see black American millioniares in wall street. 50 years after Martin Luther King died there is still racism in America

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:27am On Sep 29, 2013
Do you live in America? If you do I don't think you will think this way. Blacks have really not moved THAT far like you assume or like they paint on TV. A black president? Obama is more African than Black. He grew up in a COMPLETELY white neighborhood and had NO interaction with "BLACKS" whatsoever till he graduated Law School FROM HARVARD.

He is a White boy with an African Dad in a BLACK/TANNED skin.

African Americans have it VERY VERY hard here. Why do you think Nigerians here are always talking about moving back to Nigeria? If the opportunities here were all so pretty and easy to acquire like some naija boys think, why are established doctors and attorneys here WISHING and BEGGING to move back to Nigeria?

Afam4eva:
Things have definitely gotten better since Martin Luther King and they will keep getting better for Black people in America. The fact that you have a black president does not give credence to the gargantuan racism that you have painted. Granted that there is racism in America just like everywhere in the world including Nigeria, i think the minority population have been given the opportunity to succeed through affirmative action and other policies and some have taken that opportunity. It will take a very long time to see a massive effect of these policies cos blacks have been dealt a deadly blow in the past.

19 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:28am On Sep 29, 2013
Same with Nigerians. They think COMING to US is guaranteed success.

Godson201333: I am living in Europe and i am starting to believe that this racism thingy can be favorable at times.You see that is why Europe is very cleaned and organized than USA.I know there too and when i say very clean i mean very clean but the racism here is higher than USA.

It is just because we black people some of us are violent,dangerous and some do not even have focus.If you see people fighting here they are blacks,If they organize a party they are gonna fight at the end,many of us are just bad..

The rate of blacks going to school here too is very low,we just wanna make quick money.

2 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 6:41am On Sep 29, 2013
Now this is what YOU SEE on TV

[img]http://2.bp..com/-luCIAAwaXT8/T-V0AFMyUbI/AAAAAAAAAnY/dR0RNMcRFPM/s640/May+077.jpg[/img] DC, few blocks from the DC above

DC

Atlanta, Skyline from Buckhead. Buckhead is an extremely affluent area located north of downtown atlanta where the major streets are Peachtree St, Piedmont Rd, and Pharr Rd. Buckhead is infested with sky lofts, high-rise condos and nightclubs. North Buckhead has many multi-million dollar houses. HOWEVER, if you DARE venture into South Buckhead prepare to loose your life. Summerhill is SOUTH Buckhead here is what it looks like

[img]http://o2.aolcdn.com/dims-shared/dims3/PATCH/format/jpg/quality/82/resize/438x295/http://hss-prod.hss.aol.com/hss/storage/patch/99bbfaea8291528b99af203524f6e3d2[/img] So on one end you have thhe lovely "buckhead" (barely ever reffered to as "north"wink and across the water on the far end of the other side is that. Welcome to America, where a ghetto is 2 blocks from the VERY RICH.

Park Avenue NY

Park Avenue is a very luxurious "street". It runs parallel to Madison Avenue to the west and Lexington Avenue to the east. The street was formerly called Fourth Avenue for its entire length, and is still called that below 14th Street; between 17th Street and 32nd Street it is called Park Avenue South. Businesses like Ferrari, Deutsche Bank, Citigroup, Maserati, Mercedes Benz, Heineken, Vivendi, KPMG and British Airways have their HEADQUARTERS here.

Good. Now almost literally across the bridge is "the other Park Avenue" . This one doesn't make it on TV. You can see the skyscrappers literally on the other end. On That side Maserati has its building while on this side people live on less than $1 a day.
"the other Park Avenue" MEANWHILE Oyinkan Abayomi Drive ( formerly Queens Drive), Ikoyi, Lagos is ranked one of the most expensive streets in the world. And ABuja and Lagos rank in most expensive cities in the world.

7 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by dasparrow: 7:19am On Sep 29, 2013
@Post

OP, God bless you for this thread. You see, America had been my residence for almost 14 years. I remember when I was coming to America in the late 90s, friends in Europe warned me not to go but I stubbornly did not listen because I was carried away by what I saw on MTV and BET. When I arrived in the USA, my eye come clear. America is nothing like what she portrays herself to be. Infact, America brings out the worst in people oftentimes. You see people asking their family relatives to pay rent even though said family relative(s) is/are unemployed. You see some Nigerians calling immigration on their fellow Nigerians who have not yet sorted out their immigration palaver. You see some Nigerians spending the whole paycheck of their fellow family member who had just migrated to America and had just started working.

Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck. Debt is a huge issue. Most Americans have mortgage loans, car loans, student loans, credit card debts, infact, 'gbese' all the way. Without credit cards, most Americans cannot survive. The American society is largely a debt-driven society. They encourage you to get into debt so that you can have a credit history. Without a credit history, you can't do much in America.

The racism is something else in America as well. You walk into a store and the whites think you want to steal. Sometimes they stalk you. The average american will harass you because of your accent, your African name, and threat you like crap once they find out that you come from a 3rd world country or from Africa. In America, you have nice neighborhoods and then you have the run down, crime-ridden neighborhoods which you find mostly in the inner cities. Many neighborhoods that have mostly black people and Latino residents in them are poverty-stricken but not all of course. Many neighborhoods are racially segregated especially in New York city.

Overall, America is just there. I truly believe that there are other more tolerant advanced societies an African immigrant can live a good life in. One just has to search. However, as for me, USA just ain't it. Yes, you have constant electricity, water, fast internet access, good universities and the likes. But, the average American will always remind you that you are not part of them no matter how long you reside in the USA and that is the gospel truth. I know some Nigerians will come on this thread and start defending America like their roots lie in that country or like that lives depended on it. However, I believe in telling it as it is. Many Nigerians love lying anyway so that they can keep boosting to their relatives in Nigeria and making themselves feel relevant. The truth however must be told so that people who wish to migrate to USA can make an informed decision. Shalom!

157 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by HezronLorraine(m): 10:35am On Sep 29, 2013
America-The Land of the Free and Brave.

There's an irony to this saying and you just made that known.

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by donsax: 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2013
NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....
Why don't Ya' all retrn back home ifyou think you can't cope with all these...you are there pushing it and you encourage people that wanna come to stay back home..do you know the current country situation? That's why a thread was created that people in Nigeria hate Nigerians abroad...because they think they don't want them to ever leave home...
Why not open a thread on how to survive all these hardship or how you are coping with it?
We still have many successful Nigerians in America...if all these things happening, find a way to play Americans too and survive...a poor or middle class Nigerian will survive any hardish on earth because no where can be as bad as how poor people live in Nigeria...is like someone living in an overcrowded room of like 10people in a room and goes to another place where they are 5people in the room and someone is asking can you survive this? Hell ya he can..
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?

203 Likes 6 Shares

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:24pm On Sep 29, 2013
You're welcome. I found that a lot of Nigerians are living in denial. Some genuinely make silly decisions they regret 10 years later. My uncle is a Doctor and so is his wife. They are both Igbo. He migrated here and married his "naija american wife" when he met her in med school, and probably for papers. They live in one of the MOST expensive neighborhoods in NC YET, they do not have a life. His wife works from 5am to 2am the next day and she's home for about 2 hours and she's out. My uncle is burned out and keeps telling me how he wants to relocate to Nigeria. he has established a clinic in abuja and one in Lagos, he hopes to generate enough income there to MOVE. Mind you he went to a PRESTIGIOUS medical school, he and his wife. He OWNS a clinic in America, as does his wife. You would think, wow they achieved the AMERICAN dream. Yet he says all the money he makes goes to his mortgage, payroll, children's fees, and of course every Nigerian back in Nigeria ASSUMES he must be LIVING LARGE and have EXTRA MONEY every where. You know what he does PART TIME TO EARN MONEY He does things like GNLD, Mary Kay!! YES , A DOCTOR !!! FROM A VERY PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL (AN IVY). I know of Attorneys too begging people back in Nigeria to give them positions so they can MOVE BACK. They are all tired of America. My mum refuses to live here. She just comes, shops and goes back to Nigeria.

Boy was she surprised when she came here and met all the people "DOING WELL IN AMERICA". She realized they all BORROWED money to Buy their homes and were still PAYING back (with HUGE INTEREST RATES) . In America when you want to buy a house they make you borrow from the bank and give you a mortgage you pay for 30 YEARS!!!!! 30 Years! That's a nice mortgage. Can you imagine owing someone and paying for 30 years! When will that debt end? Are you not paying 10x the value of the house? And if you don't pay up they come and reclaim your house and put you OUT. Yes, MANY people are HOMELESS simply because they can't pay.

She realized people with "nice cars" you get to see on Facebook and stupidly envy ARE ALL LIVING OFF BORROWED cars. I.e they finance the cars (same method as mortgage). The NICE CLOTHES they "sent you" from America? ALL ON THEIR CREDIT CARDS. THey don't have the MONEY. They are simply BORROWING to survive and paying back penny by penny.

So when a lot of Nigerians come to America to live with their "uncle/aunty" who they THOUGHT had it GOOD (afterall the Aunty always seemed to have A LOT OF STUFF when she came to Nigeria) they realize the HARSH truth. Aunty is working as a nurse and works 3 other jobs. If you DARE turn on the tap too long she yells at you for wasting water or not paying energy(light/NEPA) bills. She is cranky and you can tell life is not the best for her. She still sends $100 back home and the people back home keep reinforcing the idea that Jane is DOING WELL in America. Not knowing Jane took off $100 from her $125/week paycheck.

Don't forget to add, that you can't even GET THE CREDIT CARD unless you have work history, SSN, a citizen. So for a new nigerian that ain't happening for the next 6 years.

I see Nigerian boys here who are janitors go to Nigeria and "FLEX" when I see pics I am shocked, because in Nigeria they POSE like they are living large. A lot of nigerian boys SAVE and BORROW to go to Nigeria just so they don't look bad.

With your "african name" you will have people ask you if you live in a hut, igf you had water to drink, and will "pity" you and give you bread because they GENUINELY believe you have never seen bread before. Sounds too exaggerated right? NO THAT IS THE TRUTH and people will SAY THIS OUT TO YOU

Open your eyes. America is not Somewhere to just HOP and COME TO. You will pay dearly for it. Sit down HAVE A PLAN OF ACTION. Take the TRUTH. Not what you saw on TV (those actors you see on tv had been acting as unknown people for 25 years before they ended up on TV: they don't tell you that part) Are you ready to sacrifice the next 10 years of your life slaving and suffering away?

If not, then my friend you are WAYYYYYYYY better off in Nigeria.

dasparrow: @Post

OP, God bless you for this thread. You see, America had been my residence for almost 14 years. I remember when I was coming to America in the late 90s, friends in Europe warned me not to go but I stubbornly did not listen because I was carried away by what I saw on MTV and BET. When I arrived in the USA, my eye come clear. America is nothing like what she portrays herself to be. Infact, America brings out the worst in people oftentimes...Most Americans live from paycheck to paycheck. Debt is a huge issue. Most Americans have mortgage loans, car loans, student loans, credit card debts, infact, 'gbese' all the way. Without credit cards, most Americans cannot survive. The American society is largely a debt-driven society. They encourage you to get into debt so that you can have a credit history. [b]Without a credit history, you can't do much in America.

The average american will harass you because of your accent, your African name, and threat you like crap once they find out that you come from a 3rd world country or from Africa.

Overall, America is just there. I truly believe that there are other more tolerant advanced societies an African immigrant can live a good life in. One just has to search. However, as for me, USA just ain't it. Yes, you have constant electricity, water, fast internet access, good universities and the likes. But, the average American will always remind you that you are not part of them no matter how long you reside in the USA and that is the gospel truth. I know some Nigerians will come on this thread and start defending America like their roots lie in that country or like that lives depended on it. However, I believe in telling it as it is. Many Nigerians love lying anyway so that they can keep boosting to their relatives in Nigeria and making themselves feel relevant. The truth however must be told so that people who wish to migrate to USA can make an informed decision. Shalom!

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 3:32pm On Sep 29, 2013
donsax: NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....
Why don't Ya' all retrn back home ifyou think you can't cope with all these...you are there pushing it and you encourage people that wanna come to stay back home..do you know the current country situation? That's why a thread was created that people in Nigeria hate Nigerians abroad...because they think they don't want them to ever leave home...
Why not open a thread on how to survive all these hardship or how you are coping with it?
We still have many successful Nigerians in America...if all these things happening, find a way to play Americans too and survive...a poor or middle class Nigerian will survive any hardish on earth because no where can be as bad as how poor people live in Nigeria...is like someone living in an overcrowded room of like 10people in a room and goes to another place where they are 5people in the room and someone is asking can you survive this? Hell ya he can..
I guess some people aborad are really selfish, someone will open a thread..".America is racist and full of ghetto" Europe has finished recession all over, Canada is too cold, Australia is costly New zealand is too far, no job in S.A, tax is high in uk, middle east pay are peanuts, china is over populated, japan is earthquake home, South korea s unrest because of north Korea, south America are full of crimes, india is no go area...
Where the f.uc.k then do you want them to migrate to since they can't stay home and all these countries are bad..I guess you want them to migrate to newly discovered habitat MARS?

Funny grin and on point response...

I've discovered that a lot of Diasporan Nigerian have a way of dissuading other from leaving Nigeria by telling them how things are not rosy as they think. Why not leave them to go find out themselves. Afterall before you traveled people told you the same thing but you travelled anyways. As far as i'm concerned, Nigerians can survive anywhere. Whether in far away Australia, Cold Canada, Racist America, secessionist Britain or skin head prone Russia or Ukraine. I have an acquaintance who when he was in Nigeria, was feeding from hand to mouth and squatting with friends. He found his way to Greece and from there hustled his way to Italy and now the guy has sent a couple of cars to his family in Nigeria to sell for him. That's something he probably couldn't have gotten in Nigeria no matter how hard he tried because he doesn't even have a secondary school cert(or so i think). So, no matter how bad those places are, they're way better than Nigeria. All these suffer head Nigerians have to do is to put half the energy they put hustling in Nigeria in those foreign country and they will live a decent life over there. People are suffering in this country and will kill to get a visa to kosovo.

30 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
I have never nursed the idea of going abroad because of all these uncertainties....... but this is a real eye opener....... thank you op.

6 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 3:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
I totally understand your mindset. Nigeria is NOT a super duper great country. No one is saying it is. The point of this thread is NOT to discourage ANYONE. But to rather help people make INFORMED decisions BASED on REALITY. Same thing if an American watched some Nigerian movies and saw big cars and big houses with some girls and more than $15m in cash and SOLELY on that reason he decides he wants to MOVE TO NIGERIA because "they have big cars, big houses, money and everyone is rich so I too can hustle and be rich" . Am I making a WISE decision? Would YOU, not advise me to remain in America? Would you not tell me that that is NOT the reality of Nigeria and that only a FEW people can live that way?

Same thing here. America is NOT all like the TV. The reality of America is what people are saying here. A lot of Nigerians DON'T understand racisit, because they have NEVER faced it. Racisim is not just somebody talking trash about you or to you... Ha it goes way deeper. You GO for a job interview (HUSTLING RIGHT?) and the employee looks you dead in the eye and asks you if you've ever been to an office with chairs in your life? How do you answer that? He looks at you and says "with sympathy" that he can imagine what it must have been like living in huts and mud houses. You know that there are SOME places in Nigeria that MAY happen but even in the village how many people are in hut houses and you feel very insulted?

Have you experienced what it feels like to be STOPPED inside the store and asked to be searched SIMPLY because you are BLACK? Have you known what it feels like to NOT get a job SIMPLY for how you look? Haha you DON'T .

There are successful Nigerians here but have you asked yourself why the "successful" Nigerians end up "going to nigeria" to "set up a business"? Why didn't they simply stick with the ones here?

You can play them if you want. You will get tired first. If you came to America EXPECTING it to be easy etc. You are in for something else. If however you come to AMERICA knowing that you will be "living with 5 people in a room" then at least your expectation is a bit close to reality. However will Nigerians want to move to America if they know that "they will be living with 5 people in a room"?

The hilarious part is when I see Nigerians SUDDENLY turn into Akata people. It is ridiculous. "Ayy niggga yo ayyy" and the like.. It's like the Bullllsshhhitt they watched on tv stuck right in their head.

Again this tread is simply to help you make an INFORMED decision. There are other developed countries that are less harsh and REAL. No one is discouraging you from anything but REASON, is it worth struggling and killing yourself in Nigeria to come to America only to enter another round of bull?

donsax: NO matter the racist, no matter the ghetto...No matter the debt......America is still far better than Nigeria in all way....

26 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:

Funny grin and on point response...

I've discovered that a lot of Diasporan Nigerian have a way of dissuading other from leaving Nigeria by telling them how things are not rosy as they think. Why not leave them to go find out themselves. Afterall before you traveled people told you the same thing but you travelled anyways. As far as i'm concerned, Nigerians can survive anywhere. Whether in far away Australia, Cold Canada, Racist America, secessionist Britain or skin head prone
are u sugessting we all run away........ if osewa ran away, would there be nairaland?......... what i alway7 tell ppl is that not everybody is cut out for abroad and not everybody is cut out for naija...... each man to his own

16 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 3:43pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: are u sugessting we all run away........ if osewa ran away, would there be nairaland?......... what i alway7 tell ppl is that not everybody is cut out for abroad and not everybody is cut out for naija...... each man to his own
I'm not saying we should run away. I'm just saying that, those that want to go and that believe that by traveling their lives will get better should be left to go. I don't think anyone who has a better life in Nigeria will want to travel abroad. But when poverty has knocked you out in straight sets, you may have no choice.

5 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm not saying we should run away. I'm just saying that, those that want to go and that believe that by traveling their lives will get better should be left to go. I don't think anyone who has a better life in Nigeria will want to travel abroad. But when poverty has knocked you out in straight sets, you may have no choice.
this is the main poverty stricken ppl should hustle in naija b4 shipping themselves to america, expecting to pluck gold from trees.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:00pm On Sep 29, 2013
ozo_emeka: If the hustle was so "great" in Italy why is he needing Nigerian clients to buy? Italians don't need/drive cars? undecided

The top jobs Nigerians end up with when they come to America (or clearly I see it's everywhere) are:

1. Nurse
2. Janitorial
3. Cleaning
4. Pastor a church
5. Car Sales
6. Doubling any of the above i.e Nurse AND car sales

These car sales men go to what is called an AUCTION. They pay a license $250-$300 and are allowed to BID on an Auction. Okoro has now become a licensed auction man. He calls Nigeria and tells Ibe to tell Alhaji that he is a big boy now in America and can send him ANY car he wants (WHY? Because a lot of Americans would go that route of a car). Alhaji falls mugu and sends $40,000. Afterall the retail price of the car says $35,000 and Ibe said he will pay for shipping.

Now do you know how much he buys it at the auction? Anywhere from $400 - $15000. So let's assume he bought it at $15k he makes $25k rpfoit off the mugu in Nigeria. Now you too, a bystander sees Okoro and envy him and start wishing you too where "abroad" chai he is a big boy now right?

The cars in the auction are at the auction BECAUSE
1. The cars are beat up cars (this is where the "spare parts" boys buy theirs)
2. SOmething is wrong with the cars
3. The cars are deemed unusable
4. Needs fixing

Pretty much any car that is not functioning gets sent to the dumpster. And the dumpster guys RESELL the bad cars, hence why they are sold at those low prices. 419 boys buy these cars, CLEAN THEM UP and RESELL them. This is why Americans DON'T buy cars from Auction guys or AT THE AUCTION. When you go to the Auction (I have been to those severally) more than 90% of the people there are AFRICANS. The rest are Blacks etc. (see the population there?)

Now Okoro buys this car that was in an accident so maybe it needs just a few tweaks. He spends $5000 cleaning it up and Tunde his friend ships the CAR with OTHER THINGS INSIDE the car for "traders" in Nigeria who want to buy. Alhaji gets the car, is so proud of the LOOK and uses the car.....which eventually breaks down and both parties just assume it is "natural damage" to the car.

You might as well save yourself the trouble of buying a plane ticket, only to come here and become a car sales man when you can go to the closest browsing center and earn the same money with less the wahala

These boys make money SO LONG as someone in Nigeria is playing the maga and BUYING into their sales speech. Come to America and see where your Okoro "lives". yes he tells you he MAKES money, but COME FOR YOURSELF and see where these Auction boys live. Some live 7 together in a house "so where is this money they make"

Don't be fooled. Open your eyes and stop falling for these bulllsshhiit lines they tell you from "Overseas"
The most important thing is that these people now have jobs and are no more jobless like they probably were in Nigeria. The key thing is that life is relatively better for them unlike before. They mustn't become millionaires but more importantly, they won't die of hunger. I know and understand all these things you're saying about life abroad but i don't think the poverty beaten Nigeria who lives in Ajegunle or Okokomaiko will care. It's better than dying where he is.

25 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
Why do they ALL prefer coming back to Nigeria in their old/dying age?

Those SAME jobs are IN nigeria. If you know someone here, you move. Same rule in Nigeria.

if you have the desire and urge to LEAVE nigeria, guess what? You are ONLY going to see GLOOM, even if opportunity knocks in front of you.

I'm not saying Nigeria is the BEST place to live. But trust me, when you can easily go visit a friend and ask them to look after your kids (YOU CAN NOT DO THAT HERE AT ALL even if you were born in the same place as your friend) then you appreciate the value of Nigeria.

Again you do not know the value of what you have till you loose it. Come to America if you will JUST BE AWARE of the REAL DEAL not the TV Version

Afam4eva:
The most important thing is that these people now have jobs and are no more jobless like they probably were in Nigeria. The key thing is that life is relatively better for them unlike before. They mustn't become millionaires but more importantly, they won't die of hunger. I know and understand all these things you're saying about life abroad but i don't think the poverty beaten Nigeria who lives in Ajegunle or Okokomaiko will care. It's better than dying where he is.

10 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:06pm On Sep 29, 2013
EXACTLY

honey: not everybody is cut out for abroad and not everybody is cut out for naija...... each man to his own

1 Like

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
any body who dies of hunger in naija is just too lazy to work, cmon from car wash to customer bringer in computer village...... naija is practically hustle zone....................i'm not saying ppl should stay in naija.. but they should learn hustling skills first.......

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:09pm On Sep 29, 2013
Oh let me just add that you will find others, who like me were born here and are citizens ( I went to school in Nigeria) who will LOOK AT NEW NIGERIANS from the bottom of their noses . Welcome to intra-racism. I don't but the BULK do....Oh and let me also add, those who came here before you and now "have their papers" will ALSO be condescending towards you. Good luck and may the best man WIN!

Afam4eva:

9 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
honey: any body who dies of hunger in naija is just too lazy to work, cmon from car wash to customer bringer in computer village...... naija is practically hustle zone....................i'm not saying ppl should stay in naija.. but they should learn hustling skills first.......
And how much will they earn for doing thse menial jobs in Nigeria? Will it be enough to feed their family. Why not take the same job abroad and make more money doing it. Nigerians don't learn hustling skills. Hustling can only take to a certain level. Why not apply that hustling in a society that values hustling.

8 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
It is WAY better coming to America, KNOWING what you want to do AND having SOME Money to do so. Money answereth all things in America. If you come here with money, you will be treated like royalty (to a degree {you are still black} and to the level of your money) . Do research on what you want to do, see if it is feasible, get money, then come to america, achieve your goal and head the fuccckkk back out because this country will EAT YOU and YOUR PROFIT Up! Why do you think American billionaires all GO OUTSIDE america to invest? They are not stupid. So you who is NOT a billionaire should NOT BE either.

honey: this is the main poverty stricken ppl should hustle in naija b4 shipping themselves to america, expecting to pluck gold from trees.

7 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by ozoemeka(m): 4:14pm On Sep 29, 2013
What society values hustling?

How much do you HONESTLY think a "customer service rep" earns here? A car wash person? I'm waiting for your guess

Afam4eva:
And how much will they earn for doing thse menial jobs in Nigeria? Will it be enough to feed their family. Why not take the same job abroad and make more money doing it. Nigerians don't learn hustling skills. Hustling can only take to a certain level. Why not apply that hustling in a society that values hustling.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Afam4eva(m): 4:17pm On Sep 29, 2013
ozo_emeka: What society values hustling?

How much do you HONESTLY think a "customer service rep" earns here? A car wash person? I'm waiting for your guess

They may not earn as much as banker and are not supposed to but they're better than their fellow car wash person in Nigeria. I know a car wash guy that makes 5k monthly. Now, what's that going to do for his life. Imagine putting the same car washing energy and expertise abroad.

3 Likes

Re: You want to COME TO AMERICA - Do You REALLY Know America? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 29, 2013
Afam4eva:
and after doing big jobs im america....... bills, heap of bills, mortgages, high taxes, and a stockpile of debt........ the difference btw naija and yankee hustle is that naija hustle is cummulative, if you keep up the hardwork, you will rise through the ranks....... but in yanks as an immigrant you are stuck to one caste of the society, one level of income, one level of living.........

15 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / I Finally Stepped Out Of The House After Two More Months Of Quarantine (photos) / Christian Emeka Ibeagwa Dies In U.S.A. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.