Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,954 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. (252083 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / Yoruba Names/Oriki For God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by dejai99: 9:56am On Sep 29, 2013
It is an open truth that yoruba land is the home of twins - we sure have them in abundance. Nonetheless, this is dedicated to all twins.

Oriki Ibeji:
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ará ìṣokún.
Ẹdúnjobí
Ọmọ ẹdun tíí ṣeré orí igi
Ọ́-bẹ́-kẹ́ṣé-bẹ́-kàṣà,
Ó fẹsẹ̀ méjèèjì bẹ sílé alákìísa;
Ó salákìísà donígba aṣọ.
Gbajúmọ̀ ọmọ tíí gbàkúnlẹ̀ ìyá,
Tíí gbàdọ̀bálẹ̀ lọ́wọ́ baba tó bí í lọ́mọ.
Wínrinwínrin lójú orogún
Ejìwọ̀rọ̀ lojú ìyá ẹ̀.
Tani o bi ibeji ko n'owo?

Every Twins hail from Isokun.
A relative of monkeys you are
Hoping and jumping from a tree branch to the other
Jumping helter-skelter,you landed in a wretched man's place
Turning around his misfortunes
A rare set of children that commands undue honour and respect from their parents
To your stepmother, you are an unwelcome sight
But to your mother, you are both emperors of two empires!
Wouldn't you love to be parents to twins ?

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by amiskurie(m): 11:08am On Sep 29, 2013
wao!
yoruba "love ya". and I love nigeria in general.we are wonderful people.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 29, 2013
I don't understand proper Yoruba that well, especially the signs, but the "monkey" bit is a little bit weird, though. Thought "monkey" = "obo" in Yoruba. Then, the "edun" bit you translated to "monkey" definitely must have been used figuratively.

Regardless, I'm proud of the oriki. I'm from twins (Ibeji) background and I've a lot of twins in my extended family. Even my ex, who's also my closest friend is one part of twins. I absolutely love twins and would love to have twins one day. I also heard Yoruba's have the highest number of twin-births in the world. So best believe every time my grandma is in London, she cooks the twins beans. grin

God bless twins!!!

6 Likes

Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by xenten: 8:52pm On Dec 25, 2015
Edun is a beautiful family of monkeys. They are the most beautiful of the monkey family.

1 Like

Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by PetMallNG: 1:39am On Jun 01, 2017
xenten:
Edun is a beautiful family of monkeys. They are the most beautiful of the monkey family.

Colobus monkeys are beautiful, but they are used in relation to twins for two main reasons:

1. They give birth to twin babies, and mothers are seen holding one, and backing the other

2. They are endemic to Isokun where the 3rd alaafin is believed to have sent his twins and their mother to hide to protect them from the tradition of killing twins, (hence them being hailed as ako'bi Alaafin, abi'gbeyin Ooni I.e. 1st born of tge Alaafin, last born of the Ooni)

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by macof(m): 7:32am On Jun 01, 2017
PetMallNG:

Colobus monkeys are beautiful, but they are used in relation to twins for two main reasons:

1. They give birth to twin babies, and mothers are seen holding one, and backing the other

2. They are endemic to Isokun where the 3rd alaafin is believed to have sent his twins and their mother to hide to protect them from the tradition of killing twins, (hence them being hailed as ako'bi Alaafin, abi'gbeyin Ooni I.e. 1st born of tge Alaafin, last born of the Ooni)

What tradition of killing twins
Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by Rotadbd: 3:09am On Aug 05, 2017
macof:

What tradition of killing twins
Hmmmmm....
I can guess your age... a minor probably.... wait till you learn that in school... IF you are lucky enough to be taught
Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by macof(m): 3:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
Rotadbd:

Hmmmmm....
I can guess your age... a minor probably.... wait till you learn that in school... IF you are lucky enough to be taught

lol.. u are full of shiit tho
Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by baby124: 6:31pm On Aug 06, 2017
Rotadbd:

Hmmmmm....
Yoruba don't kill twins though. Infact they celebrate them a lot. Almost to a godlike level.
Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by ayoyonet(m): 11:52pm On Jan 18, 2018
Thanks
Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by Olu317(m): 6:15am On Jan 20, 2018
dejai99:
It is an open truth that yoruba land is the home of twins - we sure have them in abundance. Nonetheless, this is dedicated to all twins.

Oriki Ibeji:
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ará ìṣokún.
Ẹdúnjobí
Ọmọ ẹdun tíí ṣeré orí igi
Ọ́-bẹ́-kẹ́ṣé-bẹ́-kàṣà,
Ó fẹsẹ̀ méjèèjì bẹ sílé alákìísa;
Ó salákìísà donígba aṣọ.
Gbajúmọ̀ ọmọ tíí gbàkúnlẹ̀ ìyá,
Tíí gbàdọ̀bálẹ̀ lọ́wọ́ baba tó bí í lọ́mọ.
Wínrinwínrin lójú orogún
Ejìwọ̀rọ̀ lojú ìyá ẹ̀.
Tani o bi ibeji ko n'owo?

Every Twins hail from Isokun.
A relative of monkeys you are
Hoping and jumping from a tree branch to the other
Jumping helter-skelter,you landed in a wretched man's place
Turning around his misfortunes
A rare set of children that commands undue honour and respect from their parents
To your stepmother, you are an unwelcome sight
But to your mother, you are both emperors of two empires!
Wouldn't you love to be parents to twins ?
Ejirè ti Eledumare fi ta omo araye loorè ati oré.

Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ okin
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ti mo bi, ti mo jo
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ti mo bi, ti mo yó
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ ara isokun
Omó édun nsere lori igi
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ wo ile olowo ko ló
O wo ile olola ko ló bé
Ile alakisá lo ló
Ẹ̀jìrẹ́ só alakisá di alasó
O só otosi di olowo
Bi Taiwo ti nló ni iwaju
Bééni, Kéhinde ntó lehin
Taiwo ni omode, Kehinde ni ebgon
Taiwo ni a ran ni sé
Pe ki o ló tó aiye wò
Bi aiye dara, bi ko dara
O tó aiye wò. Aiye dun bi oyin
Taiwo, Kehinde, ni mo ki
Eji woró ni oju iya ré
O de ile oba térin-térin
Jé ki nri jé, ki nri mu =ASÉ

I celebrate twins. If you have them celebrate them because they are special. God bless them.

God bless us all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by skillzbae(f): 1:12pm On Apr 13, 2019
baby124:

Yoruba don't kill twins though. Infact they celebrate them a lot. Almost to a godlike level.

My dear, yoruba used to kill twins.
Re: The Yoruba Oriki For Twin & Its Translation - Dedicated To Twins Worldwide. by baby124: 1:37pm On Apr 13, 2019
skillzbae:

My dear, yoruba used to kill twins.
Yoruba never ever killed twins. Twins are revered like gods in Yoruba culture.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Complaints And Notice Thread. Be Serious! / Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / Igbos come show your proverbs skills

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.