Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:58 AM

What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? (47004 Views)

Nairaland Interschool debate: Equating HND with BSC: Winner: OAU / What Is The Difference Between A Bsc(ed) In Electrical Technology And Bsc In Electrical Engineering / Top-up My Hnd To A Bsc In One Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by write2obi(m): 10:09pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras:
Thanks very much................
I have this silly question in me lol...... Can a philosopher work in companies like shell,nnpc and the likes?........
lol. Naija n oyle money!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:10pm On Oct 02, 2013
[quote author=moshino][/quote]
Thanks
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
But guy philosophy no be beans oh ,if your brain no strong hmm ...na logic go deal with you better prepare for the battle ahead

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
SammyJac: A philosopher is a lover of wisdom. It's an interesting course that cuts across many disciplines. There is a branch of philosophy called 'EPISTEMOLOGY', this will broaden your horizon and prepare you as a critical thinker. You'll also learn METAPHYSICS, LOGIC, ETHICS AND FALLACIES. According to Socrates ''man know thyself''.
you claim what you don't know flat head...just answer the boy and stop typing all the topics in philosophy
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by smogup: 10:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
AM PROUD TO BE A PHILOSOPHY STUDENT
guy you will be better for it but i must say that it is a very difficult line of study.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by tareigns(m): 10:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras: I just got admitted to study PHILOSOPHY AND RELIGIOUS STUDIES at adekunle ajasin university,akungba. I have googled it but all I saw was, being a lecturer...and I aint good at lecturing and besides, I never wanted to be a lecturer. Pls where and what can I work as,as a philosopher.....thanks
ahhh...dats simple,u can come work wit us at our IFA shrine. Pay is gud too.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Tolexander: 10:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
gbokukueba: I see no reason why you should not do the course and it is too early to be asking this type of question when you have huge opportunity to learn and step chnage your future.
I will give you my personal experience, i was admitted into Political Science but because i didnt have Mathematics in O levels i wasnt registered so i had to choose between Guidance & Counselling or Psychology.
I choose Psychology and for the first year was trying to secure a move to History department because i felt i would do well there but thank God it didnt work out and today i have no regret studying Psychology infact am a better person because of the course i studied.
So my advise to you is go ahead and do the course and trust God to settle your future... by the way when did they merge Philosophy and Religious Studies in your school? It used to be seperate...
there is a message here!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by GENTLETEE(m): 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2013
I think its too early to get bothered just expose yourself to the course first there and there you will see where you can comfortably fit in. One of such areas is human resource, also as administrators,etc I am a graduate of philosophy from LASU. You have to be hungry to get knowledge. It will help you a lot.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by chainy: 10:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
Young man, don't stress ureself. I read philosophy myself and I never wasted a single year. Philosophers are trained administrators. From my youth service I was a corper liaison officer to the local govt I served. I won an award. I had worked in the marketing dept of a bank, worked as a correspondent in a national newspaper, headed the sales and marketing dept of a national telecomm carrier and then as corporate affairs manager to a group of companies and now am on my own. No one would employ your certificate but you first. Build your self confidence and you will discover that as a philosopher your sense of logical reasoning and analysis will usually out class your contemporaries and thatz all it takes to perform in any commercial or human resources responsibility. I had a colleague that worked in shell and she was paid like her engineers counterpart. She later resigned to run her public relations outfit. Complete ure programme. If you back that up with masters in public adminN or international relations or any european language then you will be sought after in the public service. Cheer.

4 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by lukesh(m): 10:24pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras:
Thanks very much................
I have this silly question in me lol...... Can a philosopher work in companies like shell,nnpc and the likes?........
edu. is nt d end bt a means to an end. inventors and budding enterpreneurs ds age do not go to sch to come out and take up paid jobs. u gt edu jst to solve ur on probs ur own way. uni dropoutin dev wrlds ar usin their head nd skilla to earn a livin nd to mk d wrld a beta place wich humanity wil nva 4gt in histry. it's so sad this is wt d nig edu philosophy has turn into/ training in sch for yrs jst to earn salary at the end of d day. bad strt for a youth esp a jambite wu hasn't setle dwn to learn; wel if u're resolute in avin a cut frm d oil boom money b4 it finish the military and their agencies need pple that study such course as urs
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Serendipity: 10:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
Kamanda: Bros, No Lele. In Nigeria your course of study does not matter as long as you have a connection.

With that your philosophy you can even be employed as a Surgeon,Engineer,Chief Accountant and Pilot.
Na your Godfather or Connection Matter.
were u d dimwit i met at the market
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Daversscript(m): 10:38pm On Oct 02, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]Hey buddy..... u can be a lecturer like my fiance.. gudluck coolHey buddy..... u can be a lecturer like my fiance.. gudluck
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
chainy: Young man, don't stress ureself. I read philosophy myself and I never wasted a single year. Philosophers are trained administrators. From my youth service I was a corper liaison officer to the local govt I served. I won an award. I had worked in the marketing dept of a bank, worked as a correspondent in a national newspaper, headed the sales and marketing dept of a national telecomm carrier and then as corporate affairs manager to a group of companies and now am on my own. No one would employ your certificate but you first. Build your self confidence and you will discover that as a philosopher your sense of logical reasoning and analysis will usually out class your contemporaries and thatz all it takes to perform in any commercial or human resources responsibility. I had a colleague that worked in shell and she was paid like her engineers counterpart. She later resigned to run her public relations outfit. Complete ure programme. If you back that up with masters in public adminN or international relations or any european language then you will be sought after in the public service. Cheer.
I love you
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
chainy: Young man, don't stress ureself. I read philosophy myself and I never wasted a single year. Philosophers are trained administrators. From my youth service I was a corper liaison officer to the local govt I served. I won an award. I had worked in the marketing dept of a bank, worked as a correspondent in a national newspaper, headed the sales and marketing dept of a national telecomm carrier and then as corporate affairs manager to a group of companies and now am on my own. No one would employ your certificate but you first. Build your self confidence and you will discover that as a philosopher your sense of logical reasoning and analysis will usually out class your contemporaries and thatz all it takes to perform in any commercial or human resources responsibility. I had a colleague that worked in shell and she was paid like her engineers counterpart. She later resigned to run her public relations outfit. Complete ure programme. If you back that up with masters in public adminN or international relations or any european language then you will be sought after in the public service. Cheer.
I love you
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by joannessam: 10:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
There is no where a philosopher cannot work just relax your mind and study, you can look for this book and read. A philosophy for the beginner by prof. OZUMBA A prof. Of philosophy at Unical.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Roland17(m): 10:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Please do not let anyone sweet tongue you or cajole you into believing what you do have reasonable doubts about.....especially if you consider and realize that Being in Nigeria is perhaps the most important factor.

If being a lecturer or studying philosophy is not one of your goals in life please do not venture into it, today, the Nigerian educational system is cursed, bedeviled and haunted by lecturers and teachers who have no business teaching student, they are morally deficient, intellectually lacking and above all lack the discipline to be true to themselves.
Students are made to suffer strikes by rediculously selfish and greedy lecturers, who hide behind the guise of fighting for a better working condition.....

students are a pure reflection of their teachers from birth.

You have gained admissions and that is the first step in the right direction, I know there are opportunities to change courses while in school, please explore those opportunities and option, research a course you would want to switch to, find out the academic and financial requirements, be true to yourself on your abilities and if you love challenges like I do, please go for it.

The real aim of education in Nigeria has been construed as a shortcut to riches and not an avenue of gaining knowledge and skills necessary.

Bro, some are born with silver spoon, others golden spoon and for some the wooden spoon comes handy, but if you are like my family that started from the scratch with no spoon and have elevated to a better spoon, you had better help your future by making a wise decision on where you fit.

You might not be lucky to get that helper everyone is clamoring for, if that does not happen, you become stuck in life especially with the direction you should follow.

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by wogorparadise: 10:47pm On Oct 02, 2013
Infomizer: You'll be a philosopher soon, by then you woulda figured it out..Don't be in a haste bro. Besides, you're not even sure of when you'll graduate yet. Take a chill pill bro.
o boy u mean
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by wogorparadise: 10:50pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras:
Lol... Not that I love to work at shell or nnpc..but I want to know if I could get employed as a philosopher into any organization with a good pay,or I do a change of department into History and international studies.perhaps, I could earn a good salary...
Pls advice me.
better begine now to delet tha salary mentality
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
Roland17: Please do not let anyone sweet tongue you or cajole you into believing what you do have reasonable doubts about.....especially if you consider and realize that Being in Nigeria is perhaps the most important factor.

If being a lecturer or studying philosophy is not one of your goals in life please do not venture into it, today, the Nigerian educational system is cursed, bedeviled and haunted by lecturers and teachers who have no business teaching student, they are morally deficient, intellectually lacking and above all lack the discipline to be true to themselves.
Students are made to suffer strikes by rediculously selfish and greedy lecturers, who hide behind the guise of fighting for a better working condition.....

You have gained admissions and that is the first step in the right direction, I know there are opportunities to change courses while in school, please explore those opportunities and option, research a course you would want to switch to, find out the academic and financial requirements, be true to yourself on your abilities and if you love challenges like I do, please go for it.

The real aim of education in Nigeria has been construed as a shortcut to riches and not an avenue of gaining knowledge and skills necessary.

Bro, some are born with silver spoon, others golden spoon and for some the wooden spoon comes handy, but if you are like my family that started from the scratch with no spoon and have elevated to a better spoon, you had better help your future by making a wise decision on where you fit.

You might not be lucky to get that helper everyone is clamoring for, if that does not happen, you become stuck in life especially with the direction you should follow.
Thanks sir
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:52pm On Oct 02, 2013
Roland17: Please do not let anyone sweet tongue you or cajole you into believing what you do have reasonable doubts about.....especially if you consider and realize that Being in Nigeria is perhaps the most important factor.

Thanks sir! May God be with you abundantly.
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by wogorparadise: 10:53pm On Oct 02, 2013
jonescyras:
I wanted political science but offered Philosophy.
these is the question i hv been itchin to aske...... Political sc n phylosophy aint far from each other
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Ribaman(m): 10:54pm On Oct 02, 2013
A degree in philosophy is a gateway to many things. It's up to the OP though.
Think this thru, before you regret in 4 years time ( my calculation could be out of sync, given ASUU's penchant for strikes).
Philosophy is not a bad course
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Positiveminds(m): 10:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
Go and teach !
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
Riba_man: A degree in philosophy is a gateway to many things. It's up to the OP though.
Think this thru, before you regret in 4 years time ( my calculation could be out of sync, given ASUU's penchant for strikes).
Philosophy is not a bad course
Thanks
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Anniebissy(f): 10:58pm On Oct 02, 2013
No need to work,just sit in ur house nd be thinking
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 10:59pm On Oct 02, 2013
Positiveminds: Go and teach !
I aint good at teaching!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 11:00pm On Oct 02, 2013
Anniebissy: No need to work,just sit in ur house nd be thinking
cheesy
Anniebissy: No need to work,just sit in ur house nd be thinking
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Berylpharm(m): 11:06pm On Oct 02, 2013
Abeg reject d admission leta,go do jamb next yr
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by moshino(m): 11:12pm On Oct 02, 2013
Berylpharm: Abeg reject d admission leta,go do jamb next yr

Have you ever heard the saying "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush"? What if he rejects the admission and opts to take JAMB again as you advised, and then fails to get any admission next year, what should he do then? Why shouldn't he accept the admission he just got, start school, and try to change his course after first year, or take another JAMB afterwards? Are you high on something or just plain ignorant!
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Dubemkelly(m): 11:16pm On Oct 02, 2013
Its time folk stopped deceiving themselves that what one studies in school doesn't really matter,this mentality should be halted in Nigeria cos whatever one studies in university goes a long way in influencing his career,though in recent times employment in Nigeria has been on man know man nd not on merit. Then @op,passion is d real deal not what pay one gets, find passion on what u wanna do n trust me its gonna reward u handsomely, as a philosopher,I think they shud b some kinda orientation in ur first year in school,u pick d direction u wanna go. Legal,ad companies, research, politics nd d rest,if u think that's d only option,den study d course n be ready 2 have some post graduate classes in2 relevant field like engineering n accounting,be sure u r fit 2 handle this. Used 2 be a stdnt of philosopher but pulled out cos d passion wasn't there
Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by Oluwacolded: 11:17pm On Oct 02, 2013
Berylpharm: Abeg reject d admission leta,go do jamb next yr
ode oshi common olevel certificate u neva get

@op don't mind the fools deterring u from studying the course there is no course that is being offered in the university that is waste of time all courses are all lucrative

@op have you ever asked yourself why 92% of the universities in nigeria offer philosophy as a course? Or why are all the science students in the university offering logic? It is simply because philosophy is relevant to life what differentiate man from animal is ability to think, philosophers are the real man of the society they don't just talk any how they think before they talk.

5 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Bsc In Philosophy? by jonescyras(m): 11:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
Dubemkelly: Its time folk stopped deceiving themselves that what one studies in school doesn't really matter,this mentality should be halted in Nigeria cos whatever one studies in university goes a long way in influencing his career,though in recent times employment in Nigeria has been on man to man nd not on merit. Then @op,passion is d real deal not what pay one gets, find passion on what u wanna do n trust me its gonna reward u handsomely, as a philosopher,I think they shud b some kinda orientation in ur first year in school,u pick d direction u wanna go. Legal,ad companies, research, politics nd d rest. Used 2 be a stdnt of philosopher but pulled out cos d passion wasn't there
Maybe you didn't develop a love for it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Tanzanian Conjoined Twins Want To Become Teachers (Photos) / Friends Pour Female Graduate Water – Photos / Policemen Shoot UNIOSUN Students While Playing Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.