Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Sad Story Of The Golden Eaglets Class Of 2007 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sad Story Of The Golden Eaglets Class Of 2007 (1224 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! / President Jonathan Congratulates The Golden Eaglets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sad Story Of The Golden Eaglets Class Of 2007 by marshborn(m): 10:44am On Sep 30, 2013
6 years ago nigeria had a so called new "golden generation" of players, lead by coach yemi tella, the nigerian U-17 football team had just conquered the world, playing a brand of exciting and sleek football the team featured the likes of top scorer chrisantus macauley,the creative rabiu ibrahim labeled the new "jay jay okocha", the tireless king osanga, at defense the likes of kingsley udoh did a great job, the team also boasted of promising young talents like ganiyu oseni,ademola raphael,mathew edile,lukman haruna. But six years on non of them excluding lukman haruna has been able to flourish for either country or club side. Chrisantus macauley made a dream move to hamburg but failed to make any impact he was loaned out on several occasions to cut the story short he is now languishing in the spanish second division with UD las palmas. Rabiu ibrahim got snapped up by portugese giants sporting lisbon but failed to make any appearance for their first team since then he has been somewhat of a journey man with spells with PSV and celtic, making little or no appearance for either of the two, he is currently at kilmarnock fc of scotland still yet to find his feet. These are just to mention a few of the stagnant careers of the world cup winning team,non of them has been able to make it to the super eagles. The question is why the lack of progress of members of that particular team, could it be because most of them rushed to top european clubs without taking their carriers one step at a time or could it be because of the controversial issue of age cheating, maybe they where all in their prime as at 2007 and have gone past that phase now..the issue remains a mystery. But we were all thrilled by the promise and excitement they showed in 2007 and can only mourn now and think of what they could have become.

Re: Sad Story Of The Golden Eaglets Class Of 2007 by JMOI: 1:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Nice question, OP I sent you a PM.

It all boils down to two major things:
They were overaged and they moved to clubs where it would be very hard for them to break into the first team.
Re: Sad Story Of The Golden Eaglets Class Of 2007 by Itoroetti(m): 2:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
I weep for the boys.
It has nothning to do with age cheat.most players excelling aren't using their age.are u telling me that mikel,kanu,jay jay all used their ages?
Re: Sad Story Of The Golden Eaglets Class Of 2007 by JMOI: 3:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
Itoroetti :
I weep for the boys.
It has nothning to do with age cheat.most players excelling aren't using their age.are u telling me that mikel,kanu,jay jay all used their ages?
That's the first point I made. Check the second

(1) (Reply)

Messi Or Ronaldo Who Deserve the World Best Player for 2014 / Stop Beating About The Bush;it Is RIGHT HERE / Real Madrid Not Interested In Gareth Bale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.