Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! (2486 Views)

If You Are In Need Of Bitcoin / So You Wanna Be A Programmer! / I Wanna Be A Programmer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 8:01am On Oct 01, 2013
I often get this question from people who wish to become a programmer but don't know where to start maybe because of fear.
Number 1 thing to do to become a programmer is to be confident and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty...
According to my programming experience, I recommend HTML as a starting point and then Javascript. Javascript is very good when it comes to starting programming. You don't have to give excuses of not having a PC. You can start with your android phone. Another thing is that you shouldn't be discouraged by a bug in your code. Find a way to debug it by all means. Learning by mistake is the most effective way to master the skill of programming.
*Lemme give u a head stat: while learning to program, I made more than 5000 mistakes and still counting*.
Maybe you'll learn with my list : HTML, Javascript, PHP, Java, Assembly Language(not important but will go a long way to help you.), C, C++.
Overcome your phobia for programming and start today!
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by pman06(m): 11:09am On Oct 01, 2013
Nice post there bro. I studied java programming at one of the prestigious IT school here in Nigeria. Although i knew a little of HTML through some DIYS web maker before studying, but up till now i still see myself as an intermediate. I hope i can start all over again, by following this basics thats you'v just listed above.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 1:41pm On Oct 01, 2013
pman06: Nice post there bro. I studied java programming at one of the prestigious IT school here in Nigeria. Although i knew a little of HTML through some DIYS web maker before studying, but up till now i still see myself as an intermediate. I hope i can start all over again, by following this basics thats you'v just listed above.
Yes. That'll be cool... Just make sure you stay focused. You'll learn a lot at the end of the day.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by DejiAdewumi: 8:07am On Oct 02, 2013
Can't wait to read more about this. Please carry on
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2013
You can start learning HTML and Javascript from www.w3schools.com.
They've got the best tutorials for starters. If you don't relent, you'll be a good programmer in less than a year.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by GideonG(m): 6:51pm On Oct 02, 2013
I will post my programming story here, I am sure somebody will be inspired.
Developing for Android is a dream come true for me, Now I have four Apps
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2013
GideonG: I will post my programming story here, I am sure somebody will be inspired.
That's cool bro. It sure will insipire people. I'll also do the same
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by pman06(m): 8:28am On Oct 03, 2013
wwweb:

That's cool bro. It sure will insipire people. I'll also do the same

I'll love to read them.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by Ajibel(m): 9:08am On Oct 03, 2013
Just a question..!
Must one learn the likes of html, css before embarking on learning programming

Cuz a close buddy of mine that i journeyed into the IT world with started with C/C# without bothering about web design and he's good at it nau.

I just asked cuz i see responses by folks to n00bs interested in programming straightaway that they should start with web design languages!
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by meshybizzo(m): 9:59am On Oct 03, 2013
GideonG: I will post my programming story here, I am sure somebody will be inspired.

Four apps that's kool. Have been planning on moving into android, so If you don't mind me asking, how has your app acceptance been so far? Do u have any paid apps? And what has been ur experience in the market?
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by DharkPoet(m): 2:04pm On Oct 03, 2013
Ajibel: Just a question..!
Must one learn the likes of html, css before embarking on learning programming

Cuz a close buddy of mine that i journeyed into the IT world with started with C/C# without bothering about web design and he's good at it nau.

I just asked cuz i see responses by folks to n00bs interested in programming straightaway that they should start with web design languages!

That's true, I followed most "begin with web development" advice, I didn't finish the tutorials, before I decided to begin java, and I've found it really captivating. Self learning isn't really easy, speaking from my own experience/pov.

In as much as I would tell any one to begin a programming language as a start-up, I would also not deem it fit to write off web development tutorials. It's different strokes for different folks. If you think/see programming as really complex to understand, maybe a quick dive into html and css wouldn't do any harm, but if you are flowing along with that programming language of choice, then keep on doing what you good that. My rusty 2 cents.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 5:03pm On Oct 03, 2013
Let me share my story...
I've always made Bill Gate my role model because he's so confident and intelligent.... That made me like programming. I started my first learning with Visual Basic which i found in a book my parents bought for me. Then, i was 13. But that just gave me the motivation, not actually teaching me to program so I bought Nokia 2626 to start learning html online. Within a week, i could write a code very well... So it began... Then i learnt javascript as well as a little bit of java. Don't forget it was still on my Nokia. Two years later, i started learning php... You'll ask me. On what platform? - well, still on my Nokia phone. But it's no more 2626. It's C2-00... Lol! Are you laughing? I know... Well that's the truth. All the things i learnt can not be simulated on my phone but do you know where I simulated them? On the internet. I signed up for a free hosting service and learnt php within 6 months... Viola! Here am I today with a laptop learning more and more everyday... I hope someone is motivated and wants to start learning to program right away. Remember, Google is always a learner's helper.

1 Like

Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wisemania(m): 4:25pm On Oct 04, 2013
^^same here bro...i strted html 3months ago wif my fone(nokia-C3),bt now duin it on my system,of wc am currently on JS ,i waz formaly lenin cpp bt had 2 drop it coz inorder 2b a gud hcker i mst kw a hug lot bout d web,so dts my lil story,ill move 2 php nxt yr if Jesus tarries...web hacks all d way...9R0U6LY N41J4!...
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wisemania(m): 4:30pm On Oct 04, 2013
wwweb:
You can start learning HTML and Javascript from www.w3schools.com.
They've got the best tutorials for starters. If you don't relent, you'll be a good programmer in less than a year.
in addition 2dat...
www.quackit.com javascriptkit.com, MDN , etc....2many sites 2 mention a few....
W3schools and quackit are perfect 4 beginners, bt one will av 2 combine oda tutorials wen done wit dem...
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 4:53pm On Oct 04, 2013
wisemania: ^^same here bro...i strted html 3months ago wif my fone(nokia-C3),bt now duin it on my system,of wc am currently on JS ,i waz formaly lenin cpp bt had 2 drop it coz inorder 2b a gud hcker i mst kw a hug lot bout d web,so dts my lil story,ill move 2 php nxt yr if Jesus tarries...web hacks all d way...9R0U6LY N41J4!...
wow! So u wanna become an hacker... That's cool. It'll make u understand how everything works. But when u learn php with sql, you'll get to know hacking better.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by Nobody: 7:25pm On Oct 04, 2013
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by DharkPoet(m): 10:02pm On Oct 04, 2013
wisemania: ^^same here bro...i strted html 3months ago wif my fone(nokia-C3),bt now duin it on my system,of wc am currently on JS ,i waz formaly lenin cpp bt had 2 drop it coz inorder 2b a gud hcker i mst kw a hug lot bout d web,so dts my lil story,ill move 2 php nxt yr if Jesus tarries...web hacks all d way...9R0U6LY N41J4!...

So it's all about the hacking? #Sighs
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 12:56am On Oct 05, 2013
DharkPoet:

So it's all about the hacking? #Sighs
Maybe it's all about the hacking but if that is what gives him the motivation, it's good. Hacking is not bad if you're a white hat hacker.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by dpuzo: 7:10am On Oct 05, 2013
Please new programmers learn objective c or any c language (it will be easy to switch). We lack iOS programmers in nigeria.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by CODEEATER(m): 10:25am On Oct 05, 2013
wink

Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by dokunbam(m): 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2013
i started with JAVA somedays ago and i think am getting well on it
But the problem i have now is that some of the code written on the material are somehow different wen i work on java IDE

can someone help here

we can chat on any of these social media platform and help me out

yahoo
facebook
google

but google and skype will be better
i dont want pple disturbing me on FB

pls PM and i will send my id
Thanks

I cant do it alone
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2013
dpuzo: Please new programmers learn objective c or any c language (it will be easy to switch). We lack iOS programmers in nigeria.
new programmers? Are u a newbie or u're a guru (as nigerians say)? I think u're not a newbie 4 knowing that objective c is used to write iOS apps. Lemme ask u a question, did u learn objective c first? And do u knw to build an iOS app u need a mac?. So, starters should not jump! Thanks.
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by CODEEATER(m): 10:04am On Oct 06, 2013
wwweb:

new programmers? Are u a newbie or u're a guru (as nigerians say)? I think u're not a newbie 4 knowing that objective c is used to write iOS apps. Lemme ask u a question, did u learn objective c first? And do u knw to build an iOS app u need a mac?. So, starters should not jump! Thanks.

Exactly... was abt saying same...
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 06, 2013
dpuzo: Please new programmers learn objective c or any c language (it will be easy to switch). We lack iOS programmers in nigeria.

Developing for iOS' frustrating...
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by dpuzo: 1:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
Judinho59:

Developing for iOS' frustrating...

Av u tryd it?
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by 9janinja(m): 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2013
guys I want to start a career in programming .wat kind of SYSTEM (laptop) wud u recommend . and wat other things wud I need to achieve my goal. thanks
Re: Do You Wanna Be A Programmer? Start Here! by wwweb(m): 8:31pm On Oct 07, 2013
9janinja: guys I want to start a career in programming .wat kind of SYSTEM (laptop) wud u recommend . and wat other things wud I need to achieve my goal. thanks
I think i'm gonna recommend the computer with a very fast processing speed and a large Capacity RAM if u can afford it. But if u can't, just go 4 any system that you think suites you best. @ least, u can start programming with any kinda computer system. Then as you advance maybe to developing Windows 8 phone apps, you'll need some minimum specifications.

(1) (Reply)

NIIT Or Aptech / Java Programming Live Training At Yemlat / Download DSTV Now App For Android And Ios Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.