Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,782 members, 7,802,425 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:13 PM

Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. (73725 Views)

Graphic Photos Of A Motorcycle Rider Killed By A Train At Iju Ishagba Yesterday / Motorcycle Pictures From 2014 Bikers Convention In Nigeria / My Road Trip From Lagos To Ibadan. Pictures! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 12:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
As the topic suggests, is this even possible?

In my experience, possibility is entirely a state of mind.
If you think it is possible, IT IS!

5 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 1:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
Requirements

- A working motorcycle (obviously wink )

- Documentation
: International driver's licence
: International passport (or the ECOWAS passport)
: International certificate of vaccination (Yellow card)
: International certificate for motor vehicles
: ECOWAS Motor vehicle insurance (a.k.a. Brown card)

- Currencies (USD, CFA, Cedis)

- An open mind and lots of patience (reasons for this would be explained later)

8 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by azpekuliar: 1:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
Why not? I'm a big fan of "Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides" anchored by Henry Cole on the Travel Channel. Longer distances have been covered.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 1:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
azpekuliar: Why not? I'm a big fan of "Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides" anchored by Henry Cole on the Travel Channel. Longer distances have been covered.

Absolutely!
I am just trying to set the tone for readers that have never thought about it before.
"The long way down" by Ewan Macgregor and Charlie Boorman was from Scotland to Cape-Town. 15,000+ kilometers!!!

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 1:42pm On Oct 01, 2013
MAP OF ROUTE

Maryland, Lagos (the take-off point) to Accra is approx. 462km according to Google Maps
This was found to be exactly accurate!

To put into perspective, this is roughly the same distance as Lagos to Onitsha in Anambra State @ 459km

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 2:10pm On Oct 01, 2013
Documents as outlined above

Passport, IDL, Motor Vehicle Cert. and the yellow card

3 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 2:12pm On Oct 01, 2013
The Brown Card

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
The Bike

2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Same bike used by Ewan and Charles in The Long Way Down)

11 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by yungboss(m): 2:30pm On Oct 01, 2013
Shagati, don't tell me you want to embark on this trip... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 2:38pm On Oct 01, 2013
yungboss: Shagati, don't tell me you want to embark on this trip... cheesy

Ok Boss. . . I WON'T tell you wink smiley

10 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by yungboss(m): 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
Shagati:

Ok Boss. . . I WON'T tell you wink smiley
ok tell me pls wink

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by omoajiri(m): 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
@ Shagati, i bid you success on this road trip. Its something I have always fantasize about but I dnt have a bike yet.
I intend getting one soon but I'll need you assistance in guiding me right on what brand, model & other factors to consider in buying one as well as learning how to ride one.
Please let me know if you can be of assistance to me.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 10:06am On Oct 02, 2013
yungboss:
ok tell me pls wink

Ok, I have told you now cool

omoajiri: @ Shagati, i bid you success on this road trip. Its something I have always fantasize about but I dnt have a bike yet.
I intend getting one soon but I'll need you assistance in guiding me right on what brand, model & other factors to consider in buying one as well as learning how to ride one.
Please let me know if you can be of assistance to me.
Thanks

Thanks
Yes I can be of assistance. PM me for the details of a Riding School in Ikeja that will answer all your qusetions

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 10:23am On Oct 02, 2013
It is imperative to note that this trip started on Thursday 26th and we returned to Lagos on Monday 30th.
Yes, 'WE' as I rode in a group of 4 bikes outbound and 6 bikes on the return leg.

The outbound bikes were:
BMW R1200GS Adventure (Me) (Adventure touring bike)
BMW R1200GS Adventure (Adventure touring bike)
BMW K1600GTL (Luxury Grand Tourer)
Kawasaki ZX14 R NINJA (Hypersport bike)

The bikes on the return trip were:
BMW R1200GS Adventure (Me)
BMW K1600GTL
BMW R1200GS
BMW S1000RR (Super sport bike)
Kawasaki Z1000 (Nak.ed road bike)
Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa (Hypersport bike)

Pictures to follow.....

5 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by DisGuy: 11:00am On Oct 02, 2013
should be interesting--very interesting!!!
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 11:40am On Oct 02, 2013
As mentioned earlier, departure was scheduled to be from the Mobil gas station at Maryland @ 06:30 prompt

This is me on arrival at 06:10.
So I filled up and waited for my mates to arrive

4 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by JUO(m): 12:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
FOLLOWING
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 12:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
The gents arrive Mobil @ 06:14.

We took off for the Seme border @ exactly 06:25 routing through Dopemu-Egbeda-LASU Road to join the Badagry Expressway.
This was to avoid the construction work and associated traffic issues at Mile 2 through Tradefair/Ojo all the way to Okokomaiko.

Distance from Mobil Maryland to the Seme border is 88km

5 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 1:02pm On Oct 02, 2013
We arrived at the CONOIL petrol station at Seme at about 07:30
Notice how we always get interested spectators every time we pull up somewhere? (Red arrows)

Next steps? Get in touch with the agent who will process us across both sides
Exit formalities on the Nigerian side and Laissez-passer on the Republic of Benin side

Various agencies need to be cleared on the Naija side of the border
NAFDAC
NDLEA
CUSTOMS
IMMIGRATION
MIN. of AGRIC etc etc

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by yungboss(m): 1:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
Love this,
nice one. I'm not a fan of bikes but I love road trips.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by azpekuliar: 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
Shagati:
Thanks
Yes I can be of assistance. PM me for the details of a Riding School in Ikeja that will answer all your qusetions

Shagati are you referring to Ride Easy school? I want to start some bike lessons too.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2013
azpekuliar:
Shagati are you referring to Ride Easy school? I want to start some bike lessons too.

Yes sir.
You may call or send them an email:
Telephone: +234 (0) 1 761 7133 Mobile: +234 (0) 817 200 1782 Email: cs.rideeasymc@yahoo.com

You too @Omoajiri

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Originalsly: 6:49pm On Oct 02, 2013
What happened to the Kawasaki Ninja?...sold?...traded?..shipped back? I am thinking that's not a comfortable bike for a road trip.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by omoajiri(m): 7:05pm On Oct 02, 2013
Shagati, tnx so much for the useful advise but I have got intouch with a Biker's group in Abeokuta (that's where I stay) for class but I'll need you to please help me answer the following:
1. W@ bike would you recommend for me. In terms of power, speed , make & model. I love speed but reliability & command performance is priority. I have never ride a bike before but I'm so keen on getting one anytime soon.
2. Where can I get to buy a bike. Someone hinted that I visit Ebute-Metta in Lagos or Cotonou. What's your view?
3. I do move about a lot. I have preference (from a layman's view) for Japanese brands over European or American. Can you shed more light on the merits & demerits of the two.
4. Price range of bikes.
I have a whole lot more to ask but I know a whole lot of people are learning from this thread. Thanks so much for your assistance.

6 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Emperoh(m): 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
I admire bikers from a distance!
The effizy is just to attractive

Following this with rapt attention

1 Like

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 11:18pm On Oct 02, 2013
Originalsly: What happened to the Kawasaki Ninja?...sold?...traded?..shipped back? I am thinking that's not a comfortable bike for a road trip.

Very comfy bike. Actually a Hypersports Tourer
Ninja left Accra for Lagos on Sunday with another group.
We left on Monday
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 11:27pm On Oct 02, 2013
omoajiri: Shagati, tnx so much for the useful advise but I have got intouch with a Biker's group in Abeokuta (that's where I stay) for class but I'll need you to please help me answer the following:
1. W@ bike would you recommend for me. In terms of power, speed , make & model. I love speed but reliability & command performance is priority. I have never ride a bike before but I'm so keen on getting one anytime soon. 600cc / speed depends on how much you twist the throttle regardless of bike type / quite a range to chose from Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha 2006 onwards
2. Where can I get to buy a bike. Someone hinted that I visit Ebute-Metta in Lagos or Cotonou. What's your view? Ebute-Metta / Oyingbo / Also network among bike owners, someone always has something for sale
3. I do move about a lot. I have preference (from a layman's view) for Japanese brands over European or American. Can you shed more light on the merits & demerits of the two. No story; Japanese. As above
4. Price range of bikes. NGN600k and up puts you in a very good space for a relatively problem free bike
I have a whole lot more to ask but I know a whole lot of people are learning from this thread. Thanks so much for your assistance.Anytime

14 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by omoajiri(m): 8:41am On Oct 03, 2013
@ Shagati, thanks so much.
I'll update you wen I'm good to get my bike.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by OkwaIfugo(m): 9:18am On Oct 03, 2013
am loving this thread.
front page please.

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 03, 2013
Awesome.
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Shagati(m): 9:10pm On Oct 03, 2013
omoajiri: @ Shagati, thanks so much.
I'll update you wen I'm good to get my bike.
Cheers mate!

Emperoh: I admire bikers from a distance!
The effizy is just to attractive
Following this with rapt attention
Come closer. There isn't much to it actually wink

OkwaIfugo: am loving this thread.
front page please.
Err...hmmm!? undecided

saxywale: Awesome.
Ta boss
Re: Road Trip On A Motorcycle From Lagos To Accra & Back To Lagos. by Originalsly: 2:54am On Oct 04, 2013
Shagati:

Very comfy bike. Actually a Hypersports Tourer
Ninja left Accra for Lagos on Sunday with another group.
We left on Monday

OK...a touring bike....was thinking was like a racing bike!...and maybe the rider developed back problems and couldn't make the return trip! Did you guys ride at nights too?....and how well you managed bad roads? ...any pleasant surprises along the way?...scary moments?...what's the fastest speed you clocked?....what didn't go down as expected?...if you do the trip again what would you do different? End of interview! Lol

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

19-Year-Old Girl Flaunts Her Third Car In Two Years (Photos) / Old Cat Hides Under Donald Trump's $1.5m Armoured Beasts Limo,Render It Useless / Nigerian Man Redesigns A Beetle Tortoise Car Into A Rolls Royce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.