Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,340 members, 7,808,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 AM

Who Do We Call A “father” In The Church? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Do We Call A “father” In The Church? (495 Views)

Richest Rv Father In Nigeria / Richest Rv Father In Nigeria / 10 Unbiblical/unspiritual Practices Thriving In The Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Do We Call A “father” In The Church? by Acelifted: 2:58pm On Oct 01, 2013
It is common mantra in Christendom for people to refer to their pastors or fellowship presidents as their “father in the Lord”. I think it is a misuse of concept, considering the fact that the position of a father is designed for people who have not only embraced but are also willing to carry out the responsibility attached with such a position. If we know the responsibilities that God demands from fathers, many of our pastors and fellowship leaders will not be so enthusiastic about being called a father.

In 1Co 4:15, the bible says that “For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel[/b]". Fathers are few (irrespective of those parading themselves as one). They begot children in Christ at two levels – [b](1) to get them born again (2) for Christ to be formed in them. That is, the image and likeness of Christ to be formed in their souls (will, mind and emotions) and made manifest in their conducts. The second level of birth is where the critical responsibility of fatherhood is demanded as seen in Galatians 4:19 – “My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you”[b][/b]. This ‘travail’ is done in the place of deep intercessory prayers that often demands self denial of pleasures and even legitimate natural demands such as sleep, food and other forms of pleasures and material gains.

Sequel to the above point, a father [b]NEVER [/b]fleeces his children of their money and possessions (even though it is good for them to share with him – Gal 6:6). He never insists or cunningly extorts his children because their spiritual growth is more paramount to him than material possessions and is ready to let go or delay any legitimate gratification, if demanding that will adversely affect their spiritual growth.

Fathers lead by example - 1Co 4:16: Therefore I beseech you, be imitators of me. Little children imitate their parents. My biological son imitates me (in words and deeds, and that bother me at times because of some of my obvious flaws). Many of our pastors are merely instructors who do not practice what they teach. Jesus said of them in Matthew 23:2-3: “Saying, the scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, observe and do. But DO NOT do according to their works; for they say, and do not do”. Listen to your instructors (pastors) and obey them but don’t do what they do. A Father insists on obedience only when his own obedience is complete – “being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete” (2Cor 10:6).

Brethren, you need a father to enter into the fullness of your destiny and inheritance in God. Instructors can only take you thus far. Fathers take you all the way! If your pastor or overseer falls short of these qualities, please do not hesitate to look for one. The world, by reason of ICT, is now a global village. Pray and ask God to help and lead you. He will give you a father. You may not have to leave your church. But by following (in obedience and reverence) after your fathers (through online and physical materials), you will grow into the image and likeness of Christ. I have never met (not in this life again) Smith Wigglesworth or Kenneth Hagin in my life, but I am growing reading their biography and materials. So do Joyce Meyer and Pastor Olubi Johnson in Nigeria have great impact on my spiritual growth.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Should Someone Go To Hell For Not Being A Christian? / Giving Raw Meat On Sallah / Should Life Be Taken Too Seriously?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.