Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,533 members, 7,801,488 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira (24820 Views)

Gtbank Launches Mobile Phone Money Transfer - First Of Its Kind! / How To Receive Western Union Money Transfers Online Via Quickteller / How Do I Receive Money Via Western Union Money Transfer/moneygram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by citizenisb: 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
This followed the suspension of the Wholesale Dutch Auction System (WDAS) at the official foreign exchange market.

It said that the RDAS would allow only customers of deposit money banks to buy foreign exchange at the CBN through their banks.

This is against the WDAS where the deposit money banks bought foreign exchange at the CBN on their own accounts and in turn sold to their customers.

“The re-introduction of the RDAS is expected to prevent round tripping of foreign exchange purchased at the CBN official window to unauthorised channels.

“Also, a circular has been issued mandating all deposit money banks to redeem all inward money transfers in naira to the recipients at the prevailing inter-bank foreign exchange rate.

“This is in line with best practice,’’ it said.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/cbn-bans-importation-foreign-currency/#sthash.6L7TlUme.dpuf
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by citizenisb: 8:04pm On Oct 01, 2013
Is the Nigerian Government broke?

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by henrychubayo: 8:06pm On Oct 01, 2013
i believe that these policies are best for the economy.

5 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by stanogb(m): 8:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
they want to spoil show.
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Rehil(f): 8:18pm On Oct 01, 2013
Why will i even want to collect dollars??will i spend it in d normal naija market?i get so irritated when i go to get my money n been asked if i want dollars or naira.

2 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 01, 2013
Rehil: Why will i even want to collect dollars??will i spend it in d normal naija market?i get so irritated when i go to get my money n been asked if i want dollars or naira.

why won't I ?

First bank told me 146

I took it to a road side aboki and got a 158 deal

19 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by solomon111(m): 8:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
Nigeria is the highest importer of dollars in the world,which is very alarming.
It's good that CBN is finally reversing that anomaly.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by dlox147(m): 9:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
i think CBN is trying to reduce the demand for Dollars which is doing more harm to the naira ..Good one

5 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by gnykelly(m): 9:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
this is going to affect import and export trade. Except those bank can guarantee a decent exchange rate mallams do give us.

2 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by solomon111(m): 9:28pm On Oct 01, 2013
gny kelly: this is going to affect import and export trade. Except those bank can guarantee a decent exchange rate mallams do give us.
I am sure you don't expect the banks to give you the same rate as those mallams.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by fyneguy: 10:49pm On Oct 01, 2013
I have to protest this! I didnt open a dom account to receive naira!

2 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by citizenisb: 2:09am On Oct 02, 2013
May God help the Nigerian economy
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by lagbaja(m): 2:24am On Oct 02, 2013
Good move. This will create healthy competition among banks and will hopefully flaten the rate between official and black market rates. Banks with better rates will curry most western union transactions.

In the same vein, RDAS will ensure transparency and accountability in dollarised transactions. The only problem I foresee is that transactions may take longer to consumate.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by AnOlderAmerican(m): 3:10am On Oct 02, 2013
I have a question; should I stop sending money via Western Union now? If I send $400 US Dollars will they not receive the equivalent in Nairas? Damn, I am confused and putting money transfers on hold immediately until I get a satisfactory reply.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Nobody: 3:15am On Oct 02, 2013
AnOlderAmerican: I have a question; should I stop sending money via Western Union now? If I send $400 US Dollars will they not receive the equivalent in Nairas? Damn, I am confused and putting money transfers on hold immediately until I get a satisfactory reply.
They won't get paid in dollars in Nigeria. Your family get paid in Naira equivalent based on current exchange rate.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by AnOlderAmerican(m): 3:22am On Oct 02, 2013
They aren't family. Well, not yet. They are loved as if family, but, they're friends. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by BabaEleko(m): 4:31am On Oct 02, 2013
Good for the economy sha but a lil hitch for the beneficiary and abokis wey dey chop through buying dollars.

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 02, 2013
payless: They won't get paid in dollars in Nigeria. Your family get paid in Naira equivalent based on current exchange rate.

not really the equivalent

banks make profits from these exchange rates too

it all boils down to how much the bank will buy/sell the dollar

Whichever way, the banks are rippers

aboki all the way

they should find another means to fix the economy

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by donguutti: 8:24am On Oct 02, 2013
Its true,recievd email messages from my bank(s),another CBN move to stabilize the naira. all those hausas exchangers,what would be their fate.This would destroy their biz and might lead to other things.

As for what the exchange rate,should be,the CBN should provide forward guidance or a rate band to avoid exploitation,as the banks now have a monopoly.

A midway rate,between the cbn rate and the Banks mastercard/Visa foreign transaction rate would be appropriate.
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by ifyalways(f): 8:57am On Oct 02, 2013
lagbaja: Banks with better rates will curry most western union transactions.
I think not.
You need to have a savings account(GTB and a few demands at least 3 months old current account) with any bank before you can receive WU. So,at the end of the day,banks now have the upper hand as most customers won't have a choice.

@Topic,banks exchange rate is ALWAYS miserable. I reckon its better to have the sender convert to Naira before sending.

4 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by AnOlderAmerican(m): 9:01am On Oct 02, 2013
ifyalways:
I think not.
You need to have a savings account(GTB and a few demands at least 3 months old current account) with any bank before you can receive WU. So,at the end of the day,banks now have the upper hand as most customers won't have a choice.

@Topic,banks exchange rate is ALWAYS miserable. I reckon its better to have the sender convert in Naira before sending.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by adconline(m): 9:06am On Oct 02, 2013
NL is full of folks who don't know what it takes to open a dom account let alone a letter of credit.. Take a look at yourself right now and tell me how many Made in Naija things u have on... Ur clothe, shoe, phone, belt, pants, bra.. all made outside Naija. Why can't demand for $ be on the rise?

2 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by IGBOSON1: 9:35am On Oct 02, 2013
fyneguy: I have to protest this! I didnt open a dom account to receive naira!

^^^I share your sentiments on this.....very annoying! angry angry
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by WildChild00(m): 9:56am On Oct 02, 2013
To my own understanding, the Central Bank of Nigeria, is trying to use these measures to stabilize the nations economy, buy way of making it compulsory for every one who wants to collect Wu to collect it in naira, I think this is a welcome development, and it will help to strengthen the nations economy.
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Jayses(m): 10:02am On Oct 02, 2013
Money by any curency is stil money provided it's not Counter....... , i mean e no dy wash.
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by wirinet(m): 10:04am On Oct 02, 2013
In theory its a good move, but in practice it will be detrimental to genuine business men.

Take for example i am into importation. If i go to a bank to obtain dollars to import goods, apart from exhaustive bureaucratic bottle necks, i am most probably going to be told no dollars now, come back next week. So i would be forced to patronize my favourite mallam at about N160 to the dollar. But if i am to be paid in dollars for the same goods, the banks would give me ridiculous exchange rate like N150 to the dollar.

So would it not make better business sense to sell my dollars to alams at N157 and buy from him at N160?

4 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by 170chuks(m): 10:06am On Oct 02, 2013
Actually this might be a development in a way. . But most things or lemme say everything Nigerias do as a hidden agenda for that .. Anyway lets watch

1 Like

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 02, 2013
Consumers pls have your sender to remit to you in naira.

Importers should wire out at bank rate afterall na chinko and turkey we dey import from. Why dollars ?
Its for good of our economy and glory of naira.

I hate to see dollars in my country cos I dont see naira when I go emerika.

3 Likes

Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by erico2k2(m): 10:18am On Oct 02, 2013
I lost faith in the Nigerian Banking sector ages ago but at this new policy and if implimented,that would mean someone up there has brains.
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by taharqa: 10:20am On Oct 02, 2013
Good... I also hear that d CBN has banned d importation of Dollars (I was shocked this week to hear that Nigeria was becoming d largest IMPORTER of Dollars in d world. Imagine that!!). People now use Dollars as though they were in America- to pay Schools, pay rent, to shop, etc. Certain NONSENSE need to stop in this nation
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by hustla(m): 10:20am On Oct 02, 2013
Awon omo mi
Awon Wire Wire.. Una dey hear?

grin wink
Re: Western Union Money Transfer Now To Be Paid In Naira by Nikapetrelli(f): 10:23am On Oct 02, 2013
Gud to know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. / Dollar Free Fall Continues, Sells At N425/dollar / Pos: Fuel Stations To Charge N50 On Product Sales From Dec 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.