Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,660 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:03 PM

Ibo Traditional Wedding - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ibo Traditional Wedding (13300 Views)

10 Beautiful African Traditional Wedding Attires / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibo Traditional Wedding by kingbest(m): 4:05pm On Jun 27, 2008
fellow nairalander in da house,
pls,i need some info about ibo traditional wedding and the necessary requirement?
not 4 me but 4 some of my guy that av found a new love wt an ibo gal like that,and am not to comfortable about dos norms and traditions been offered there by the woman's people.
so pls,anyone wit useful information can spill it out.[b][/b]
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by echelon(m): 4:22pm On Jun 27, 2008
Why don't you let your friend see the girl's family and ask?
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by Ijiji1(m): 5:31pm On Jun 27, 2008
@ Poster,

Why are you not comfortable with the norms and traditions offered there by the woman's people, are you not a Nigerian ? don't you have culture and traditions from where you from.
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by kingbest(m): 7:17pm On Jun 28, 2008
Why are you not comfortable with the norms and traditions offered there by the woman's people, are you not a Nigerian ? don't you have culture and traditions from where you from.

Tanx 4ya comments ,wat am saying is i got some information dat to marry a ibo lady,u got to prepare to spend money, i mean real gud cash.cos there traditions like an open party jos to show the world dat their daughter is marrying a well to do guy.and my guy is the simple and gentle, dat like less noise. and i dont think he av dat big ego to spend 4 dat kind of wedding. so do u now understand wat i mean guys and gals.i wll welkom any opinion as regards this posts,any one here pls?
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by romeo(m): 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2008
Why not wait until you are ready to marry your bride and stop creating useless threads about igbo people on behalf of your friend wink

People no get work!!
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by Ijiji1(m): 11:32pm On Jun 30, 2008
romeo:

Why not wait until you are ready to marry your bride and stop creating useless threads about igbo people on behalf of your friend wink

People no get work!!

My brother see me see trouble oh!!
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by shuppie(f): 8:24pm On Jul 02, 2008
Ijiji1:

My brother see me see trouble oh!!

OH GOD, this is interesting,
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 03, 2008
oboy,
them no wan tell you.
If e no hold money well well. just tell the person to prepare to enter poverty for all the money wey im go spend plus borrow put for the wedding.
E get another thread here wey them dey ask why Igbo men no dey marry until their 40, 50, 60. Na the reason be this, dem need to get the money for this first.
the girl people go demand things reach heaven and earth wey go damage bank account, wink
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by hadiza30(f): 3:19pm On Aug 08, 2008
shuppie:

OH GOD, this is interesting,
U can say that again grin grin grin
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by lucabrasi(m): 9:23pm On Aug 08, 2008
@topic
without making any controversial comment,ill suggest you tell your guy to make sure his pocket is very deep and he should prepare for a very large financial commitment
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by lucabrasi(m): 11:20pm On Aug 08, 2008
OMO IBO:

u were trying to avoid being controversial but uve succeded in making your self sound (put lightly)like an idiot.
u really wanted to make this statement so there was absolutely no need to add this 'without making any controversial comment'.

hey,why the insults, am i right or wrong in telling the guy to tell his friend to have very deep pockets?pls be perfectly objective, does ibo weddings not require large financial committments on the guy?
we all have diffrent cultures and ways of approaching the marriage thing,like in yoruba marriage the wife's family does most of the spending,some see it as wrong but thats why cultures are diffrent, pls desist with the insults
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by RichyBlacK(m): 1:23am On Aug 09, 2008
kingbest:

fellow nairalander in da house,
please,i need some info about ibo traditional wedding and the necessary requirement?
not 4 me but 4 some of my guy that av found a new love wt an ibo girl like that,and am not to comfortable about dos norms and traditions been offered there by the woman's people.
so please,anyone wit useful information can spill it out.

Firstly, it's Igbo, not Ibo (a corruption of the word "Igbo"wink.

Now, Igbo culture is not monolithic in nature and varies from Nsukka to Owerri to Ikwerre to Nnewi to Ohafia. Even within Igbo autonomous communities, different clans and families have varying views about the financial necessities of marriage.

Tell your friend to have a frank and candid discussion on the financial aspects of the marriage ceremonies. Make sure he does not put himself into serious debt because of the ceremonies. If the girl and her family are more interested in her (the girl's) happiness than in signaling to all and sundry that "they have arrived", there should be no serious obstacle, financial or otherwise, to the formalization of the union.
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by lucabrasi(m): 8:59pm On Aug 09, 2008
OMO IBO:

poorly disguised tribalism. try again dude.
you r still not answering the question, are ibo weddings financially daunting or not?remember the poster is asking on behalf of his friend and he needs to be prepared,if u are really an omo ibo like ur handle says then u will be totally objective and lay it down as it is
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by darfur(m): 9:52pm On Aug 09, 2008
truth be say, no money no marriage. abi why you think say i nova marry yet? u think say i be small pikin? dafur no get money.

anyway, tell ya friend make him try get money for the stuff otherwise make him try another girl grin grin grin

all right, to be serious, he needs the money but it shouldnt be so. i really dont want to say more than this
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by o9999: 3:48pm On Oct 14, 2008
ah ah!!!
y are you people being sooo baised,
the truth, there is NO tribe in Nigeria where a man "dashes" his daughter in the name of marriage , obviously something has to exchange hands, wink kiss
the extends depends on the girls parents and the guy that wants to marry.
Some guys ar also so caught up that they want their wedding to "happen!!"

Please let me ask, Don't teachers get married to Igbo girls?
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by DeepZone: 5:15pm On Oct 14, 2008
you r still not answering the question, are ibo weddings financially daunting or not?remember the poster is asking on behalf of his friend and he needs to be prepared,if u are really an omo ibo like ur handle says then u will be totally objective and lay it down as it is
Contrary to what most people believe believe, most of them are not. Common sense should tell you that if they are financially daunting like that, the poor among them will remain unmarried or marry from other tribes. Their culture varies from place to place and you can't use one place to judge others. I use to think the same until last year when my sister's brother in law got married and when i raised that question, he said that he only spent $500 for traditional rituals and visits to the bride's family, about $5 for dowry and is budgeting about $10K for traditional wedding and how much you spend for your traditional wedding is at your own discretion. You may decide to invite a few guests and spend $500 etc.
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by DeepZone: 5:16pm On Oct 14, 2008
Please let me ask, Don't teachers get married to Igbo girls?
Exactly; if that rumor is true, how come teachers that earn N30K a month got married in iboland?
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by Ezinwannem: 5:40pm On Oct 14, 2008
it differs so why put igbo in da basis of analysis, na wah ooooooooo.try my town and come back and tell me wat u found out,
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 15, 2008
bla bla bla about (igbo not ibo ) unu hapu kwanu anyi aka biko now igbo traditional wedding .
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ukukaegbu(m): 11:57am On Oct 15, 2008
Igbo this, Igbo that. Tribalists and jealous people everywhere. If you feel like spending a huge amount of money for your wedding, its up to you. Inugo. For all I know, many poor people are getting married to Igbo girls. But definitely the girl's parent won't do the spending for you when they are doing you a favour by allowing you to marry their beautiful daughters. It's people that have ugly daughters that will pay you when you are marrying their daughter because you are doing them a favour. Onye na- alu nwanyi mara mma ga akwu ugwo ya. Inugo.
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ifyalways(f): 11:33pm On Oct 15, 2008
LMAO
soup wey sweet,na money kill am tongue
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ikeyman00(m): 12:27pm On Oct 16, 2008
ify i wan marry u now!! inugo
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ifyalways(f): 12:52am On Oct 17, 2008
ikeyman00:

ify i wan marry u now!! inugo
lol
ngwanu,a dim njike ugbua mana i jikwa ego? tongue
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by AloyEmeka9: 1:15am On Oct 17, 2008
Igbo this, Igbo that. Tribalists and jealous people everywhere. If you feel like spending a huge amount of money for your wedding, its up to you. Inugo. For all I know, many poor people are getting married to Igbo girls. But definitely the girl's parent won't do the spending for you when they are doing you a favour by allowing you to marry their beautiful daughters. It's people that have ugly daughters that will pay you when you are marrying their daughter because you are doing them a favour. Onye na- alu nwanyi mara mma ga akwu ugwo ya. Inugo.

Nna m hapu ndi onuma na esu. Before long, they will tell you that igbo carpenters, okada men, labourers and brick layers remain bachelors because they cannot afford to marry igbo women. Some strange accusations are better left unanswered.
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by AloyEmeka9: 1:16am On Oct 17, 2008
lol
ngwanu,a dim njike ugbua mana i jikwa ego?

Nne akaalam iba luo gi ewepu na ana m acho ilu nwanyi ijebu igbo. Nwatakiri aha masirim nke oma. grin
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ikeyman00(m): 10:02am On Oct 17, 2008
ify forget that one, i dey serious!! i strong pass money
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ifyalways(f): 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2008
ikeyman00:

ify forget that one, i dey serious!! i strong pass money
Ikenna,i di sure?i repeat, . . . . . i jikwa cash,ego na ekwu !
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by origina9ja(f): 5:00pm On Oct 17, 2008
cheesy
dis thread giv me jokes
@poster u kno every body get level
simply the wife need 2 maintain her self wiff, so tell ur friend 2 load more
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ikeyman00(m): 8:22pm On Oct 17, 2008
ify forget money i gon dey print am in future just working on the money printer now. i de serious ooo. i look like say u get ajibota face, me like that oo
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ifyalways(f): 8:39pm On Oct 17, 2008
I no fit forget ego,Tufiakwa ! cheesy
Get ready,i dey go collect the list from my papa.
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by ikeyman00(m): 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2008
k ify preparing
Re: Ibo Traditional Wedding by lucabrasi(m): 5:44pm On Oct 18, 2008
@DEEPZONE
if i dont have common sense,ill appreciate you helping me out with a little,after all you must have an abundance of it
first of all,its cheap for some when the wife works with the husband/family especially when they both love each other,so they ll either waive some of the demands e.t.c and if the man clearly doesnt have the means then they will demand based on his financial capability,most other cultures where i have witnessed their trad marriages,irrespective of who the husband is,either rich or poor its the same thing give or take some little diffrence, in ibo trad wedding what they ll demand of say cc onoh or ojukwu's son will bemuch more than the inlaw will demand if it were some random okada driver or civil servant
@poster
ibo marriage odikwa serious o inugo grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which State Are You From? / Is Rap A Blueprint For Black Self Destruction? / Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.