Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" (1734 Views)

When Atheists Are Tried Before The Court, What Do They Swear On? / Write the Bible In Pigin English! / Summerise The Bible In One Sentence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by mcstan01(m): 7:56am On Oct 03, 2013
In court, if you are asked to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... what if you say "no"? #rareTHOUGHTS
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by Illuminatus(m): 8:01am On Oct 03, 2013
mcstan01: In court, if you are asked to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth... what if you say "no"? #rareTHOUGHTS
You get three choices, Bible, Koran or fetish stuff if you subscribe to traditional religion. What you swear on (Bible or Koran) doesn't count. The thing is that you make that proclaimation openly so that if it is later found out that you lied, you'll charged with perjury.
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by Natureboyfk(m): 8:15am On Oct 03, 2013
Every man hs a belief...u must b ready to swear to wateva ur belief is,its nt a sin!!
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by badmeat(m): 8:20am On Oct 03, 2013
I don't swear!sad,it si against the law soham-muhamundecided
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by Infomizer(m): 8:39am On Oct 03, 2013
Illuminatus:
You get three choices, Bible, Koran or fetish stuff if you subscribe to traditional religion. What you swear on (Bible or Koran) doesn't count. The thing is that you make that proclaimation openly so that if it is later found out that you lied, you'll charged with perjury.
Nicely said. Avoid committing perjury! If you are an unbeliever, it shouldn't be a big deal to swear.
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by mcstan01(m): 8:48am On Oct 03, 2013
Illuminatus:
I actually mean what is you say no to swearing... What will happen in court?... Just thinking!
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by mcstan01(m): 8:49am On Oct 03, 2013
Infomizer:
Nicely said. Avoid committing perjury! If you are an unbeliever, it shouldn't be a big deal to swear.
what would an atheist swear with?
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:28am On Oct 03, 2013
mcstan01:

I actually mean what is you say no to swearing... What will happen in court?... Just thinking!

It depend on your reasons for saying no to swearing. If it's because you believe the bible's prohibition to swearing then you can choose to affirm to say the truth in court.

"But let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No' be 'No.' For whatever is more than these is from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37).

1 Like

Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by Saintigk(m): 9:41am On Oct 03, 2013
I don't want to believe one necessarily has to swear with an object, all is needed is your confession to say the whole truth. Would an atheist be forced to swear with Bible, Quran and Iron?. Some people don't believe in anything, even if you try to convince them and you can't force such to swear with what they don't believe in.
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by Infomizer(m): 3:19pm On Oct 03, 2013
mcstan01: what would an atheist swear with?
Guardian newspaper (they are "nurtured by the truth"wink..Lol
Just kidding sha.
If s/he is compelled to do so, it shouldn't be a big deal. To him/her, the book could as well be a William Shakespeare book. Like Illuminatus opined, as long as there are witnesses to his/her declaration, it should not matter. S/he does not believe it any way! However I don't think any reasonable court should force a person to if the person does not believe.
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by mcstan01(m): 4:33pm On Oct 03, 2013
Infomizer:
Guardian newspaper (they are "nurtured by the truth"wink..Lol
Just kidding sha.
If s/he is compelled to do so, it shouldn't be a big deal. To him/her, the book could as well be a William Shakespeare book. Like Illuminatus opined, as long as there are witnesses to his/her declaration, it should not matter. S/he does not believe it any way! However I don't think any reasonable court should force a person to if the person does not believe.
#yourpointnotedthough but my own point is if s/he adamantly refuses to swear and/or take an oath(if there's a significant difference) will the proceedings continue, allowing he/r to testify?
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by jayriginal: 9:35pm On Oct 03, 2013
Provision is made for "affirmation" if someone doesnt want to swear.

Its rarely seen because most people are religious, but its there.
Re: To SWEAR With The BIBLE In Court "What If You Say No" by Infomizer(m): 7:21am On Oct 05, 2013
mcstan01: #yourpointnotedthough but my own point is if s/he adamantly refuses to swear and/or take an oath(if there's a significant difference) will the proceedings continue, allowing he/r to testify?
I think the proceedings will continue because like I said, no reasonable court should force a person to. Provided there are witnesses to the person's claim to be truthful.

(1) (Reply)

Deuteronomy 22:5 Re-explained / Can The Creator Of The World Have Son? Let The Bible And Quran Speak / Two Kinds Of Destiny

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.