Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

foreigners chillout joint. - Foreign Affairs (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / foreigners chillout joint. (135251 Views)

Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners / South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / We Won't Apologise, Foreigners Are Not Welcome -south Africa King Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (92) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by gees101(m): 7:51am On Jun 12, 2018
Mobilia:

I was of the opinion that people automatically click if you say something that gets their attention....
I just would think that you'd want to share this Nairaland experience together....
The only way to truly be incognito or "face-less" is to NOT have a pic up... unless the pic belongs to someone else.....(which some folks I've heard do).
Hi is that you on your dp?then you too fine dear, i like beautiful things
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Dremca(m): 12:19pm On Jun 12, 2018
Hi khiaa, nice to meet you.
khiaa:
Hello Dremca. smiley
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Jun 12, 2018
gees101:
Hi is that you on your dp?then you too fine dear, i like beautiful things

Yes it is....thank you very much. I happen to think so too wink
I see beauty in ALL things.....
We are all wonderfully, fearfully, and marvelously made.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 12, 2018
Dremca:
Is it by the same author?

Mark Manson
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 12, 2018
revontuli:

The cold I can handle by dressing in layers like an onion. Texas heat kept me locked up indoors during the day, there is nothing you can do to ease the heat. Even in the shade it was awful cause of high humidity. At least Finland has summer and fall with really nice weather (not too hot or cold.)

Hi Revontuli,

I wanted to ask you some questions about Finland if I may. Off all the choices of countries to go to, why Finland? What are the major difference s btwn US and Finland? What do you miss most about home? And how do the people relate to you. I know you are not black but have you noticed differences in how the people relate to blacks?
I know, alot of questions but Ive been curious. Been meaning to ask.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Dremca(m): 6:17pm On Jun 12, 2018
Is she originally black or white?
hiawathia1981:

Hi Revontuli,

I wanted to ask you some questions about Finland if I may. Off all the choices of countries to go to, why Finland? What are the major difference s btwn US and Finland? What do you miss most about home? And how do the people relate to you. I know you are not black but have you noticed differences in how the people relate to blacks?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jun 12, 2018
Dremca:

I got the impression she is white from the states. There are some whites who embrace other cultures. She seems to be one of them.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 12, 2018
Martin0:

hia, na wa ooo, I already answered,grin

I got you.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Martin0(m): 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:

I got you.
yeahgrin
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by revontuli(f): 9:51pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Hi Revontuli,

Healthcare system is way better in Finland. In the States there is no public healthcare, everyone depends om employer-provided health insurance and a lot of it is really bad with high monthly fees and out of pocket payments when you go to the hospital. If you are between jobs, and get sick, you are totally screwed. Healthcare and medicine costs are astronomical. That is one big reason I left, I have multiple chronic illnesses and couldn't live with the stress (I lost jobs and been unemployed for a few months after the companies went down and laid off many employees, also the 2008 recession.)
Finns have great public healthcare, it's good for people with chronic illness. You never have to worry about dying from treateble things like asthma if you lose your job. Non-emergency care is slow with long waiting times, it can take months to get an appointment for conditions that aren't life threatening, but if you have the money you can buy private health insurance and get fast service.

Culture is another big difference. Americans do the fake smiles and small talk, strangers smile at you and say how are you doing everywhere, they expect you to do the same and talk about stupid little things. If you don't keep it up at workplace everyday they brand you ass weird and marginalize you. Finns have introverted and quiet culture, you don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to, no need to wear masks and fake smiles if you have a bad day.

Finns aren't materialistic, unlike most Americans, it's a shameful act to show off material wealth and expensive things. They don't have wasteful shopping culture. Even for outdoors and camping, Americans will buy a load of unnecessary items like gas cookers, expensive tents, comfort gear. Finns buy the simplest, cheapest stuff and make their own fire to cook. I went camping with Finns, they just gather branches and make cooking fire with it. They shapen thin branches with camping knife and use it to cook sausages over fire. Americans will bring a gas cooker, power inverter using car battery to plug the cell phone chargers, and use a set of steel bbq skewers to cook stuff. They will bring car fridges. What's the point of going camping if you bring all the comforts with you? That's just a small example to demonstrate the difference of mentality.

I like the minimalistic, non-materialist culture and harmony with nature so I'm quite happy in Finland. The downside is the limited business opportunity for entrepreneurs. America is paradise for those who start their own business, the system favors businesses and entrepreneurs get huge tax write-offs. It's living hell for wage slaves with bad health. Salaried workers get taxed to death. Finns tax salaried workers to death as well, but at least our taxes are used for things like free education and affordable public healthcare, not for bombing innocent civilians in other countries.

There is institutionalized racism and police brutality targeting blacks in America. Police shooting unarmed innocent blacks is a major problem. There is some racism in Finland but hell of a lot less. I noticed the racism here targets Muslim Somalis who wear Islamic dress, not so much West Africans. Especially after a large number of Somali immigrants went to Syria to join the IS and it was in the headline news.

There was an old friend of mine who was married to a Kenyan lady. One of their neighbors was a nasty racist woman and yelled horrible insults at her all the time. I saw it myself. But most everyone treated her well, it was only that one nasty woman who was being rude and racist. They lived in a small city with no African population. Then again I've seen middle aged racist men yell nasty things at white immigrants, too. Usually it's drunks who do that. There are xenophobes who hate Russians and non-western immigrants. But there's no obsession with race like America, and no police shootings.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 12, 2018
Thanks Revolunti,

Very imformative.
What do you miss most about America, if anything?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Dremca(m): 10:31pm On Jun 12, 2018
How were you able to quickly learn their language because In belive you're an american.
revontuli:

Healthcare system is way better in Finland. In the States there is no public healthcare, everyone depends om employer-provided health insurance and a lot of it is really bad with high monthly fees and out of pocket payments when you go to the hospital. If you are between jobs, and get sick, you are totally screwed. Healthcare and medicine costs are astronomical. That is one big reason I left, I have multiple chronic illnesses and couldn't live with the stress (I lost jobs and been unemployed for a few months after the companies went down and laid off many employees, also the 2008 recession.)
Finns have great public healthcare, it's good for people with chronic illness. You never have to worry about dying from treateble things like asthma if you lose your job. Non-emergency care is slow with long waiting times, it can take months to get an appointment for conditions that aren't life threatening, but if you have the money you can buy private health insurance and get fast service.

Culture is another big difference. Americans do the fake smiles and small talk, strangers smile at you and say how are you doing everywhere, they expect you to do the same and talk about stupid little things. If you don't keep it up at workplace everyday they brand you ass weird and marginalize you. Finns have introverted and quiet culture, you don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to, no need to wear masks and fake smiles if you have a bad day.

Finns aren't materialistic, unlike most Americans, it's a shameful act to show off material wealth and expensive things. They don't have wasteful shopping culture. Even for outdoors and camping, Americans will buy a load of unnecessary items like gas cookers, expensive tents, comfort gear. Finns buy the simplest, cheapest stuff and make their own fire to cook. I went camping with Finns, they just gather branches and make cooking fire with it. They shapen thin branches with camping knife and use it to cook sausages over fire. Americans will bring a gas cooker, power inverter using car battery to plug the cell phone chargers, and use a set of steel bbq skewers to cook stuff. They will bring car fridges. What's the point of going camping if you bring all the comforts with you? That's just a small example to demonstrate the difference of mentality.

I like the minimalistic, non-materialist culture and harmony with nature so I'm quite happy in Finland. The downside is the limited business opportunity for entrepreneurs. America is paradise for those who start their own business, the system favors businesses and entrepreneurs get huge tax write-offs. It's living hell for wage slaves with bad health. Salaried workers get taxed to death. Finns tax salaried workers to death as well, but at least our taxes are used for things like free education and affordable public healthcare, not for bombing innocent civilians in other countries.

There is institutionalized racism and police brutality targeting blacks in America. Police shooting unarmed innocent blacks is a major problem. There is some racism in Finland but hell of a lot less. I noticed the racism here targets Muslim Somalis who wear Islamic dress, not so much West Africans. Especially after a large number of Somali immigrants went to Syria to join the IS and it was in the headline news.

There was an old friend of mine who was married to a Kenyan lady. One of their neighbors was a nasty racist woman and yelled horrible insults at her all the time. I saw it myself. But most everyone treated her well, it was only that one nasty woman who was being rude and racist. They lived in a small city with no African population. Then again I've seen middle aged racist men yell nasty things at white immigrants, too. Usually it's drunks who do that. There are xenophobes who hate Russians and non-western immigrants. But there's no obsession with race like America, and no police shootings.

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 12, 2018
Dremca:
How were you able to quickly learn their language because In belive you're an american.

Yeah, good question. Did it take you long to adopt to the culture?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by revontuli(f): 10:49pm On Jun 12, 2018
Dremca:

I didn't, still learning. I learned more German with language apps than Finnish.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by revontuli(f): 10:51pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Yeah, good question. Did it take you long to adopt to the culture?

I've been visiting the country for several years, did a ton of research and deduced the culture is very Aspergery. I have Asperger's, so I'm a natural fit. But foreigners coming from big cities and vibrant cultures get bored and depressed.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 12, 2018
revontuli:

I've been visiting the country for several years, did a ton of research and deduced the culture is very Aspergery. I have Asperger's, so I'm a natural fit. But foreigners coming from big cities and vibrant cultures get bored and depressed.

Asperger's, ive heard of it but im not too familiar. Forgive me, isnt it related to Autism?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by revontuli(f): 10:55pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Asperger's, ive heard of it but im not too familiar. Forgive me, isnt it related to Autism?

It's high functioning autism. Half of the nation seems autistic when they are sober, I'm not treated like a space alien like I was in America.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Jun 12, 2018
Hey Carbanado,
See you lurking..

Meet Revolunti. Revolunti meet Carbanado
Likewise Dremca
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by carbonado(m): 11:00pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:
Hey Carbanado,
See you lurking..

Meet Revolunti. Revolunti meet Carbanado
....hii...hiawathia1981....how are you doing and how was your day..yeah I have meet revolunti...hello revolunti.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 12, 2018
revontuli:

It's high functioning autism. Half of the nation seems autistic when they are sober, I'm not treated like a space alien like I was in America.

Can I ask if there is treatment for it that differs from home?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jun 12, 2018
Dremca:

Have you met Revolunti? Revolunti meet Dremca. Dremca meet Revolunti.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 12, 2018
carbonado:
....hii...hiawathia1981....how are you doing and how was your day..yeah I have meet revolunti...hello revolunti.

Im good. Thanks for asking. U?
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by revontuli(f): 11:07pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Can I ask if there is treatment for it that differs from home?

There is not much can be done. It's a brain difference. Best we can do is read a lot and learn social skills and try to fit in. The difference is, fitting in doesn't take a massive amount of effort in Finland.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 12, 2018
revontuli:

There is not much can be done. It's a brain difference. Best we can do is read a lot and learn social skills and try to fit in. The difference is, fitting in doesn't take a massive amount of effort in Finland.

Well, I am glad you are able to find peace and comfort.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by carbonado(m): 11:11pm On Jun 12, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Im good. Thanks for asking. U?
....am alright...
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Dremca(m): 11:12pm On Jun 12, 2018
Nice to meet you Revoluni
hiawathia1981:

Have you met Revolunti? Revolunti meet Dremca. Dremca meet Revolunti.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Crystalight: 1:38am On Jun 13, 2018
Hello house, after being a guest reader and much more hesitation,i finally decided to register and explore,i think i love it here,so much matured convo.started reading from page 65 and its been exciting so far.how come only like 5 people here are active?.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by gees101(m): 7:49am On Jun 13, 2018
Mobilia:

Yes it is....thank you very much. I happen to think so too wink
I see beauty in ALL things.....
We are all wonderfully, fearfully, and marvelously made.
That's true,nice to meet you. hope you are doing well

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 3:39am On Jun 14, 2018
Crystalight:
Hello house, after being a guest reader and much more hesitation,i finally decided to register and explore,i think i love it here,so much matured convo.started reading from page 65 and its been exciting so far.how come only like 5 people here are active?.

Hi Crystalight,

Sorry, I wanted to say hi to you yesterday, but found myself being put in time out by the mods.
I am glad you took the plunge. I remember being new here and finding myself on the outskirts. I am very thankful for Khiaa and her friends for being welcoming to me. So, I have tried to pay it forward by being inclusive and welcoming to everyone, Even going out of my way at times. Some may read it as being something that it is not, but that is not my problem.
So that being said, friends welcome Crystallight. Do tell us about yourself.

2 Likes

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Crystalight: 4:31am On Jun 14, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Hi Crystalight,

Sorry, I wanted to say hi to you yesterday, but found myself being put in time out by the mods.
I am glad you took the plunge. I remember being new here and finding myself on the outskirts. I am very thankful for Khiaa and her friends for being welcoming to me. So, I have tried to pay it forward by being inclusive and welcoming to everyone, Even going out of my way at times. Some may read it as being something that it is not, but that is not my problem.
Hello,
Good to be here
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by revontuli(f): 9:18am On Jun 14, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Hi Crystalight,

I read your replies in FrankNetter's thread, you are getting so much good karma for helping people out. Kudos for being so nice and friendly!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (92) (Reply)

Chadian Soldiers Led By President Idris Debby Burst Boko Haram Warehouse / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!! / COVID-19 In US: Thousands Lineup Orderly In Their Cars To Get Food, Items(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.