Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:43 PM

foreigners chillout joint. - Foreign Affairs (86) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / foreigners chillout joint. (135402 Views)

Zulu King Changes Tone And Calls For End To SA Attacks On Foreigners / South Africans Ignore Appeal, Continue Attacks On Foreigners / We Won't Apologise, Foreigners Are Not Welcome -south Africa King Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (92) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 5:08pm On Nov 04, 2018
LordReed:

I didn't comment to get into an argument with you. I reserve "ruthlessness" for those who deserve it, this wasn't one of those times.

I am always open to having a decent conversation, only I won't hold back on what I think about religion so some people do get offended somehow.

Again my apologies for misunderstanding your comment.
Do you mind if I ask some questions about how you came to denounce Christianity and embrace atheism?
I've had some past conversations with some atheists before. Just that I'm really curious. Not writing a book or anything....lol.
Also I wanted to ask some questions about Islam.
I can't go into the Islam section cause I will not agree to the oath in order to enter.
You seem to be unintimidated by and unafraid to converse with me..which I appreciate.
I think this section is open/ok for me to ask random questions.
I hope it's not too controversial.
If not, it's ok.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by LordReed(m): 7:22pm On Nov 04, 2018
Mobilia:

Again my apologies for misunderstanding your comment.
Do you mind if I ask some questions about how you came to denounce Christianity and embrace atheism?
I've had some past conversations with some atheists before. Just that I'm really curious. Not writing a book or anything....lol.
Also I wanted to ask some questions about Islam.
I can't go into the Islam section cause I will not agree to the oath in order to enter.
You seem to be unintimidated by and unafraid to converse with me..which I appreciate.
I think this section is open/ok for me to ask random questions.
I hope it's not too controversial.
If not, it's ok.

I agree that that Muslim declaration thing is rubbish, its a testament to the Muslim penchant for segregation and cowardice in having their religiously dogma questioned.

I will gladly answer your question about how and why I reject religion as a whole, Christianity specifically. Long story short, after taking the time to rather objectively look at facts in relation to religious claims, it became obvious to me that once you remove faith, none of the religious claims are adequately supported by the facts. Which is why I frequently make the assertion, no truth requires faith. Every faith claim is designed to get you to suspend your critical thinking faculties, eg 419.

So I reject religion in its entirety but would rather not call myself an atheist because people are funny with labels.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Nov 04, 2018
LordReed:

I agree that that Muslim declaration thing is rubbish, its a testament to the Muslim penchant for segregation and cowardice in having their religiously dogma questioned.

I will gladly answer your question about how and why I reject religion as a whole, Christianity specifically. Long story short, after taking the time to rather objectively look at facts in relation to religious claims, it became obvious to me that once you remove faith, none of the religious claims are adequately supported by the facts. Which is why I frequently make the assertion, no truth requires faith. Every faith claim is designed to get you to suspend your critical thinking faculties, eg 419.

So I reject religion in its entirety but would rather not call myself an atheist because people are funny with labels.

Hmmm...interesting.

Please forgive me if my replies come a little later.

That's the beauty of "faith". So why remove it?
It takes not "always" being able to prove something through facts.
Doesn't mean something isn't real just because you can't prove it..
Although, in Christianity, many evidences of a supernatural being can be backed up by science.
I don't understand the "419" illustration.
Could you be more specific? Unless you're trying to draw a parallel between faith demanding a "blind trust" just as "419" guys demand from their victims (which I would agree with you on that to a certain extent).
But then you need to look at the spirits operating behind both.....one is good and the other is evil.
Anyhow, I know labels can complicate things (although you call yourself "lord"wink.
But I've seen you a lot over in the other section..and based on your comments deduced that you were a "free-thinker".
I have recently been watching a bunch of documentaries on Nigeria (the people, culture, indigenous religions etc.,) and they all have been extremely well done.
One recently featured Muslim extremists,Boko Haram. The documentary was just plain phenomenally done.

However, it was one of the most heart-wrenching, saddening, and depressing documentaries I've ever seen.
But I can't get certain parts of it out of my mind.
I didn't know that many of the young men have been forced to join or suffer death.
Children as young as 6 years old have been strapped with a bomb and blown up....
One young man said that one guy said he didn't want to hold the gun and so he was beheaded and the head was placed on his dead body.
Another woman who lives a few miles from the Sambisa forest has trained her children and a few others to go into the forest armed and ready to rescue escaped members or kidnapped women. She said that babies had their necks twisted, pregnant women's bellies had been ripped open and the fetus taken out prematurely and killed and much more.
So in light of that inhumane savagery (in the name of religion), why don't you denounce that?
A religion that labels people a traitor and kills if people choose to convert to another religion?
Why does a supposedly small sect of a religion there in Nigeria have so much extreme power?
Why do "free-thinkers" choose to attack the peaceful religion, but stay mute when it comes to Islam?

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by LordReed(m): 11:01am On Nov 05, 2018
Mobilia:

Hmmm...interesting.

Please forgive me if my replies come a little later.

I don't mind.

That's the beauty of "faith". So why remove it?

Beauty? I don't see beauty in suspending your critical thinking for no evidence.

It takes not "always" being able to prove something through facts.
Doesn't mean something isn't real just because you can't prove it..

Nothing we know of in this universe that we can experience is beyond proof. Antimatter experiments are currently being run in CERN. This antimatter was once just a hypothesis and now we can experience and prove it for sure.

Although, in Christianity, many evidences of a supernatural being can be backed up by science.

Really? I love to see some of this evidence.

I don't understand the "419" illustration.
Could you be more specific? Unless you're trying to draw a parallel between faith demanding a "blind trust" just as "419" guys demand from their victims (which I would agree with you on that to a certain extent).

But you do understand. This is the exact problem, *blind trust". The evidence is lacking that any of the religious claims is true. In fact the evidence actually shows it is not true.

But then you need to look at the spirits operating behind both.....one is good and the other is evil.

Ask yourself, we have been recording and broadcasting Sunday services for years now, why has no single person captured any spirit, angel or demon on camera? Before you tell me "but they are unseen", remember how many incidents of physically seeing angels are recorded in the New Testament alone. Mary, Zaccheus, some shepherds, people at the Bethesda pool, Mary and some women at Jesus' grave, Roman Soldiers, Peter, Paul. Those are the ones I can remember. Yet for years and years of camera recording services, not a sight of angel or demon, not a single one.

So I ask you were is the evidence for spirits? Not even supposed human spirits have unequivocal evidence. No evidence for souls either.

Anyhow, I know labels can complicate things (although you call yourself "lord"wink.

LoL, the Lord thing is just a nickname I came up with for gaming and internet websites. Nothing to it really but it does serve some psychological warfare in gaming. People can sometimes be intimidated before a game because of the name.

But I've seen you a lot over in the other section..and based on your comments deduced that you were a "free-thinker".

LoL, OK.

I have recently been watching a bunch of documentaries on Nigeria (the people, culture, indigenous religions etc.,) and they all have been extremely well done.
One recently featured Muslim extremists,Boko Haram. The documentary was just plain phenomenally done.

However, it was one of the most heart-wrenching, saddening, and depressing documentaries I've ever seen.
But I can't get certain parts of it out of my mind.
I didn't know that many of the young men have been forced to join or suffer death.
Children as young as 6 years old have been strapped with a bomb and blown up....
One young man said that one guy said he didn't want to hold the gun and so he was beheaded and the head was placed on his dead body.
Another woman who lives a few miles from the Sambisa forest has trained her children and a few others to go into the forest armed and ready to rescue escaped members or kidnapped women. She said that babies had their necks twisted, pregnant women's bellies had been ripped open and the fetus taken out prematurely and killed and much more.
So in light of that inhumane savagery (in the name of religion), why don't you denounce that?
A religion that labels people a traitor and kills if people choose to convert to another religion?
Why does a supposedly small sect of a religion there in Nigeria have so much extreme power?
Why do "free-thinkers" choose to attack the peaceful religion, but stay mute when it comes to Islam?

As I have already said Muslims are somewhat cowardly when it comes to engaging in a close, critical examination of their beliefs. I was a registered member of Nairaland when the split occurred. The speculation then was Seun had been physically threatened either with bodily harm or business harm. I don't know how true it is but the split is clearly a sign that they are cowards. So its not that no one challenges the Islamic religion, it is that Muslims ran away and erected a walled garden that forces you to make a declaration that you do not accept in other to engage. I am not convinced I need to make my profile encrusted with junk in other to engage.

Criticising Boko Haram is easy but that is not what every Muslim on the street does. You do realise that there are Christian terrorist groups right? IMHO the main criticism against religion as a whole isn't that it lends itself to violence but that it detracts from human progress. Religion claims to have knowledge of the world around us and tries to insinuate that man should not look deeply into things. Meanwhile religion hardly contributes to our understanding of the universe or its workings neither does it aid in the development of practical technologies. Even where religion should excel, curbing of social ills, it is woefully lacking, Nigeria is a prime example of this.

For sure we condemn violence in the name of religion but the religion section no longer is the best place. Most reports of such violence will be in either politics or crime. It can be derailing to bring up the religious aspects in such threads since the section is not for that however you still see people bring it up. I don't frequent the politics section so I don't really know.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 05, 2018
LordReed,
You would think that I would know how to break down each thing someone writes so I can address them like you did...but surprisingly enough I don't know how embarassed

So if I miss something, please forgive me.
Yeah, I'm aware of Christian extremist groups cause we have them here in the U.S. ...and it disgusts me to be honest..

It such a gross misrepresentation of the gospel of Christ.
But let me ask you?
Doesn't fundamental Islam believe in killing those who convert to another religion?
Also are the Christian extremist groups dominant in Nigeria (particularly Northern Nigeria)?
Cause that would be shocking to know.

Believe me....I've seen some of the most outrageous forms of Christianity right here on N.L.
Just when I think I've read it all, something new outshocks me...
I try to be very impartial even within my own faith and have tried to counter a lot of misinterpretations over there.
I must say that everyone is equal opportunity here on N.L.
Some of the Christians are mean, some of the atheists are mean, some of the non-Christians are mean, some of the traditional/indigenous folks are mean...and if I had ever talked with the Muslims (which I don't think I have, but who knows), I'm sure some of them would be mean as well....lol.

Surely you've met some sincere Christians as you've said about Muslims on the street.

By the way, the young guy and woman in that documentary speaking about the savagery of Boko, are Muslims.

There are a few guys over there that have biblically-based and scientifically sound discussions and I think you have conversed with them.

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by LordReed(m): 3:30pm On Nov 05, 2018
Mobilia:
LordReed,
You would think that I would know how to break down each thing someone writes so I can address them like you did...but surprisingly enough I don't know how embarassed

When you quote a post, scroll to the bottom of the quoted post and copy [/quote]. You can the paste it at the beginning and end of a section but for the beginning one remove / so its just quote in [ ].

So if I miss something, please forgive me.
Yeah, I'm aware of Christian extremist groups cause we have them here in the U.S. ...and it disgusts me to be honest..

It such a gross misrepresentation of the gospel of Christ.
But let me ask you?
Doesn't fundamental Islam believe in killing those who convert to another religion?
Also are the Christian extremist groups dominant in Nigeria (particularly Northern Nigeria)?
Cause that would be shocking to know.

Muslims are fractured when it comes to interpreting their book, some do not accept that apostates have to be killed, some do. I don't know of any Christian extremist groups in Nigeria

Believe me....I've seen some of the most outrageous forms of Christianity right here on N.L.
Just when I think I've read it all, something new outshocks me...
I try to be very impartial even within my own faith and have tried to counter a lot of misinterpretations over there.
I must say that everyone is equal opportunity here on N.L.
Some of the Christians are mean, some of the atheists are mean, some of the non-Christians are mean, some of the traditional/indigenous folks are mean...and if I had ever talked with the Muslims (which I don't think I have, but who knows), I'm sure some of them would be mean as well....lol

And there lies another problem, why is this great potent god, who is all seeing, unable to keep his word amongst his own preachers straight? How come every Tom, Dickson and Harry has their own special god given interpretation of the bible? And the worst part is many of these interpretations are so incompatible, some Christians say some other Christians are going to hell. That alone should sound alarm bells to anybody looking at these things.

Surely you've met some sincere Christians as you've said about Muslims on the street.

Oh I don't doubt there are sincere Christians, after all I would count myself as having been one but I think if you are wrong, no matter how sincere you are, you are just sincerely wrong.

By the way, the young guy and woman in that documentary speaking about the savagery of Boko, are Muslims.

There are a few guys over there that have biblically-based and scientifically sound discussions and I think you have conversed with them.

LoL. Nobody using the bible as a scientific exposé is sound. Its either they are trying to shoehorn the bible in hindsight into scientific facts or they will ignore scientific proof for a bible based story.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 1:40am On Nov 06, 2018
[quote author=LordReed post=72704849]

Thanks for the instructions.
I will definitely practice in the near future.
I figured you were a former Christian.
Usually the toughest critics (of something) are those who once belonged or had some
sort of experience.
I cannot convince you to believe in God nor will I try (as much as I wish I could).
All I can prayerfully hope is that one day you decide to take those doubts and questions to the only One who can truly answer you.
Oh...I would not use "people" to be my measuring stick of who God is...cause we are imperfect and erring beings.
Yes people should represent Him and be on one accord, but that is not what we have right now.
I know that Christianity has become so corrupted, but if you dig deep enough, you can find the "needle in the haystack".
You don't throw out the baby with the "bath water".
You, apparently, are intelligent....but even the most intelligent humans still need humilty, a teachable spirit of things that surpass our finite minds. Much of that takes a level of "faith".
I really, really appreciate you taking the time to converse with me....
Thank you
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by LordReed(m): 9:30am On Nov 06, 2018
Mobilia:
Thanks for the instructions.
I will definitely practice in the near future.
I figured you were a former Christian.
Usually the toughest critics (of something) are those who once belonged or had some
sort of experience.
I cannot convince you to believe in God nor will I try (as much as I wish I could).
All I can prayerfully hope is that one day you decide to take those doubts and questions to the only One who can truly answer you.
Oh...I would not use "people" to be my measuring stick of who God is...cause we are imperfect and erring beings.
Yes people should represent Him and be on one accord, but that is not what we have right now.
I know that Christianity has become so corrupted, but if you dig deep enough, you can find the "needle in the haystack".
You don't throw out the baby with the "bath water".
You, apparently, are intelligent....but even the most intelligent humans still need humilty, a teachable spirit of things that surpass our finite minds. Much of that takes a level of "faith"

Well since its only humans who respond when you call out god then they are only ones who show what this god thing is supposed to be about. If they can't get it right then how does one continue to believe man made tales of the supernatural?

I really, really appreciate you taking the time to converse with me....
Thank you

It was good conversing with you too.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Konquest: 11:59am On Nov 07, 2018
Mobilia:
Konquest,
Hope you don't mind, but (for future preference) and if needs be, I'd like to converse over here.
Thanks
Happy New Month to you.
^^^^
^^^^
OK @Mobilia, I'm fine with that...

Happy new month to you too! smiley

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 14, 2018
Konquest,
How are you?
So I've been obsessed (recently) with documentaries on anything pertaining to Nigeria and I found some docs on people called, "The Hyena Men"...
Embarrassing as this is to probably say, I have watched those specific docs about 7-8 times (between the two)...lol...because they were so good. Deep obsession....I guess.
So, being the well-versed historian that you are, do you mind me asking you some questions about these fascinating people?
I always like to ask before I delve into something that may be too controversial or make folks uncomfortable.
If yes, I'm gonna watch them again (lol), get my questions and have them ready for you sometime tomorrow.
If no, then I'd be honored if you would recommend me to someone who would be able & willing....
Thanks

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Konquest: 12:13pm On Nov 15, 2018
Mobilia:

Konquest,
How are you?

So I've been obsessed (recently) with documentaries on anything pertaining to Nigeria and I found some docs on people called, "The Hyena Men"...

Embarrassing as this is to probably say, I have watched those specific docs about 7-8 times (between the two)...lol...because they were so good. Deep obsession....I guess.

So, being the well-versed historian that you are, do you mind me asking you some questions about these fascinating people?
I always like to ask before I delve into something that may be too controversial or make folks uncomfortable.
If yes, I'm gonna watch them again (lol), get my questions and have them ready for you sometime tomorrow.
If no, then I'd be honored if you would recommend me to someone who would be able & willing....
Thanks

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Hey... @Mobilia, how are you?

I'm doing really good right now... and
thanks for the compliments!
smiley

I initially thought you were interested in the INFAMOUS "The Hyena Man"
who is based in the Southern African country of Malawi who I first heard
about on the British Broadcasting Corporation [BBC] on 21 July 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36843769

He assumed global notoriety for disvirgining young ladies before they
get married according to the local customs in his Malawian village... and
ended up infecting several women with HIV!

"This week, a man named Eric Aniva from Malawi was arrested after the
BBC broadcast the 27-minute radio report: 'Stealing Innocence' in Malawi,"
which featured Aniva bragging about being paid to sleep with more than
100 young girls and women, some as young as 12 years old."

OK... I have personally seen some of those Hyena owners while
on local tourism trips in the North of Nigeria [especially Kano]
and in documentaries on TV... and I find them to be fascinating
to watch because of the the ability to TAME the very deadly creatures
and the share POWER that hyenas have... and based on watching
"Discovery Channel" and "Nat Geo Wild's" focus on "Predators
Gone Wild," I've come to NOT mess up with untammed Hyenas.

They are known in the Hausa language as "Gadawan Kura"
[hyena handlers/guides]... AND USUALLY perform during festivals
and are also move around from one state to another displaying or
performing stunts for money. The hyena men are itinerants - they
never spend more than two days at a location!

In 2017, a criminal gang of baboon handlers in the Ikeja axis of Lagos State
[who were Hausa-speaking from the North of Nigeria] were caught/arrested
for using these animals to "distract and attack people" in the evenings with
the aim of robbing them. This was widely reported in the media! So it is
better to have YOUR instincts at alert when these Hyena/Baboon handlers
are around! grin

1]. First, you can click on this November 2015 NL thread that I found
on the Hyena Men below
:
https://www.nairaland.com/2750286/meet-hyena-men-nigeria-pictures

2]. Second, click on this 24 MB pdf document by Johannesburg, South Africa-born
Pieter Hugo on his visit to Nigeria and his fascination with the Hyena Men of Nigeria
:
https://www.yossimilo.com/content/1-artists/10-pieter-hugo/2-press/pieter_hugo-press-2018_07_24.pdf

3]. Third, You can watch more videos of the
HYENA MEN below
:

"Hyena Men in Nigeria 2016 Documentary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30bn1PJ79U

"DOCS: The Hyena Men"
48MINS 39SEC Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNnZotV9XWE

Inside the Hyena Feast | Nat Geo Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_d3WoQFZ4A

The Battle For Africa's Deadliest Predator Continues | Nat Geo Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYy93Xb-wUU
by Nat Geo WILD

National Geographic - Queens Hyena VS Lion - NatGeo Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHOGn_RCdgI

Lions Vs Hyenas Brutal War [National Geographic]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHQ6Kvgq3qw ==> 50:23
by Nat Geo Predators

Faces of Africa : The Hyena Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3BuQneSk4 ==> 29:02
by CGTN Africa

So Mobilia, I hope this relatively long post helps to satisfy
more of your curiosity... just as I have learned some more
insights as well.

All the best! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 15, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
Hey... Mo/bilia, how are you?

I'm doing really good right now... and
thanks for the compliments!
smiley

I initially thought you were interested in the INFAMOUS "The Hyena Man"
who is based in the Southern African country of Malawi who I first heard
about on the British Broadcasting Corporation [BBC] on 21 July 2016.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-36843769

He assumed global notoriety for disvirgining young ladies before they
get married according to the local customs in his Malawian village... and
ended up infecting several women with HIV!

"This week, a man named Eric Aniva from Malawi was arrested after the
BBC broadcast the 27-minute radio report: 'Stealing Innocence' in Malawi,"
which featured Aniva bragging about being paid to sleep with more than
100 young girls and women, some as young as 12 years old."

OK... I have personally seen some of those Hyena owners while
on local tourism trips in the North of Nigeria [especially Kano]
and in documentaries on TV... and I find them to be fascinating
to watch because of the the ability to TAME the very deadly creatures
and the share POWER that hyenas have... and based on watching
"Discovery Channel" and "Nat Geo Wild's" focus on "Predators
Gone Wild," I've come to NOT mess up with untammed Hyenas.

They are known in the Hausa language as "Gadawan Kura"
[hyena handlers/guides]... AND USUALLY perform during festivals
and are also move around from one state to another displaying or
performing stunts for money. The hyena men are itinerants - they
never spend more than two days at a location!

In 2017, a criminal gang of baboon handlers in the Ikeja axis of Lagos State
[who were Hausa-speaking from the North of Nigeria] were caught/arrested
for using these animals to "distract and attack people" in the evenings with
the aim of robbing them. This was widely reported in the media! So it is
better to have YOUR instincts at alert when these Hyena/Baboon handlers
are around! grin

1]. First, you can click on this November 2015 NL thread that I found
on the Hyena Men below
:
https://www.nairaland.com/2750286/meet-hyena-men-nigeria-pictures

2]. Second, click on this 24 MB pdf document by Johannesburg, South Africa-born
Pieter Hugo on his visit to Nigeria and his fascination with the Hyena Men of Nigeria
:
https://www.yossimilo.com/content/1-artists/10-pieter-hugo/2-press/pieter_hugo-press-2018_07_24.pdf

3]. Third, You can watch more videos of the
HYENA MEN below
:

"Hyena Men in Nigeria 2016 Documentary"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30bn1PJ79U

"DOCS: The Hyena Men"
48MINS 39SEC Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNnZotV9XWE

Inside the Hyena Feast | Nat Geo Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_d3WoQFZ4A

The Battle For Africa's Deadliest Predator Continues | Nat Geo Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYy93Xb-wUU
by Nat Geo WILD

National Geographic - Queens Hyena VS Lion - NatGeo Wild

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHOGn_RCdgI

Lions Vs Hyenas Brutal War [National Geographic]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHQ6Kvgq3qw ==> 50:23
by Nat Geo Predators

Faces of Africa : The Hyena Men

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3BuQneSk4 ==> 29:02
by CGTN Africa

So Mo/bilia, I hope this relatively long post helps to satisfy
more of your curiosity... just as I have learned some more
insights as well.

All the best! smiley

Wow....
You delivered as expected! Great job! Thanks for all of this.
Actually I saw the 49 min. documentary with the guy wearing the blue shirt...

Was one of the (2) docs that I repeatedly watched.
The other doc (on YouTube) was around 29 min.. (and is not on this list you presented).
I think I had trouble seeing the "Faces of Africa" one, but I'll try again.
Oh and yes I saw the documentary on the Malawian guy....who takes the young girls' virginity...about a few months ago.
No words to express.....and the sad thing is ...that it's the culture and supported by the parents cry

I definitely want to check out the doc with the guy from South Africa...who's intrigued by the hyena men.
Unfortunately, I don't want to see lions and hyena fight.....I've seen some and the brutality is a little too much for me.

But you told me something new......
It was said (in the one documentary) that the men were possibly bank robbers and thugs....but the way they presented themselves seemed opposite.
They claim it's their main form of livelihood.....
They said you have to be born into it....and that they have special powers to be able to tame the animals.
I saw one of the men featured in two separate docs (the snake handler).
In one, he's speaking in his dialect.
Then in the other he's speaking English.
I hope they aren't thugs though....
But that would seem an effective way to frighten people.
Hyenas are known for tearing their prey's flesh while it's still alive....they don't have the decency to at least make sure it's lifeless first.....
Don't care for them or snakes at all....

You know what I'm so intrigued by is the interaction between the animals and the men (particularly the baboons).
This may be silly, but the baboons look incredibly adorable in their little shirts and shorts...although the sizes are apparently and expectedly too big.
I think it's soccer team jerseys.....
They almost seem human. They were drinking out of the coke bottle and water bottle...like little children. One almost forgets that they are wild and ferocious animals.
But I'm torn about keeping the animals constantly chained up...24/7.
The hyenas have a muzzle on their mouth most of the day.......otherwise those teeth lipsrsealed
You know I fell in love with the adorable children (in one village...that the men rested in....I think it was Zaria or the outskirts of Kano) dancing and looking in awe like it was the most incredible thing they'd ever seen! The kids were shown on the 29 minute doc that isn't listed on the list. But it's on YouTube...for all who want to see it.

So..
1). I thought Hausa people were Muslim...
Yet these men believe in special powers that protect them from possible animal bites and from witches and warlocks?
Are they a special group of Muslims?

2). What specifically are the healing herbs that they use?

3). One documentary had them in the outskirts of Abuja....traveling to the North.
So do the "hyena men" live all throughout Nigeria?

4). When you were in Kano, did you get to as them interacting with the baboons?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2018
Konquest,
How are you?
Oh, you can just cancel those questions that I had asked you a few days ago.
I don't want you to feel uncomfortable conversing with me...or getting the wrong impression.
I'll converse with other folks..(if they are courageous enough) wink
Again, thanks for all of the info you gave here!
You be blessed!

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2018
Privettoall,
Good morning (my time),
I brought you over here because I don't want my thread over in the Religion section to be further derailed by you.
I wrote about a personal experience (a negative one specifically here on N.L.) and then ended on a (positive) note about how a Christian should deal with it.
You are not a Christian, therefore you cannot understand what I wrote from a spiritual aspect.
Yes I personalized it and then I modified it slightly. I never mentioned "mods".
However, the ultimate message is still there.
Since I am a practical Christian, who encounters both good and bad situations, both publicly and privately, I decided to write about it.
I stand by what I wrote and it includes (more than one person). It's sad that some of my brethren there in Nigeria (and their accomplices in other countries etc.) have to involve themselves in nefarious situations...and try to use me in the process.
The people involved know who they are.
"A hit dog will holler"...... wink

Now, I would be foolish to think that every single Nairalander is corrupt.
Therefore, I chose and still choose to enjoy the positive aspects of this site.
I try to converse with some folks (hard as that is).
But I'm gonna be "me"..which makes many folks uncomfortable. Different cultures....I guess.
However, I'm still here....
Any intelligent human being tries to do the most effective research that he/she can before engaging in a project or venture.

Be blessed....and hey, calm down. There's no need to keep creating and deleting multiple monikers...ok? I know you have 1,001 options..
You could've spoken to me on the main and popular moniker that you daily use on N.L., but that one may be too "risque" wink
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by MrayNgozi(f): 12:07am On Nov 20, 2018
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 20, 2018
MrayNgozi,

Is this an educational video about Nigeria?
I wouldn't mind a synopsis..
Thanks
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Konquest: 10:44am On Nov 26, 2018
Mobilia:

Wow....
You delivered as expected! Great job! Thanks for all of this.
Actually I saw the 49 min. documentary with the guy wearing the blue shirt...

Was one of the (2) docs that I repeatedly watched.
The other doc (on YouTube) was around 29 min.. (and is not on this list you presented).
I think I had trouble seeing the "Faces of Africa" one, but I'll try again.
Oh and yes I saw the documentary on the Malawian guy....who takes the young girls' virginity...about a few months ago.
No words to express.....and the sad thing is ...that it's the culture and supported by the parents cry

I definitely want to check out the doc with the guy from South Africa...who's intrigued by the hyena men.
Unfortunately, I don't want to see lions and hyena fight.....I've seen some and the brutality is a little too much for me.

But you told me something new......
It was said (in the one documentary) that the men were possibly bank robbers and thugs....but
the way they presented themselves seemed opposite.
They claim it's their main form of livelihood.....
They said you have to be born into it....and that they have special powers to be able to tame the animals.
I saw one of the men featured in two separate docs (the snake handler).
In one, he's speaking in his dialect.
Then in the other he's speaking English.

I hope they aren't thugs though....
But that would seem an effective way to frighten people.
Hyenas are known for tearing their prey's flesh while it's still alive....they don't have the decency to at least make sure it's lifeless first.....
Don't care for them or snakes at all....

You know what I'm so intrigued by is the interaction between the animals and the men (particularly the baboons).
This may be silly, but the baboons look incredibly adorable in their little shirts and shorts...although the sizes are apparently and expectedly too big.

I think it's soccer team jerseys.....

They almost seem human. They were drinking out of the coke bottle and water bottle...like little children. One almost forgets that they are wild and ferocious animals.

But I'm torn about keeping the animals constantly chained up...24/7.
The hyenas have a muzzle on their mouth most of the day.......otherwise those teeth lipsrsealed

You know I fell in love with the adorable children (in one village...that the men rested in....I think
it was Zaria or the outskirts of Kano) dancing and looking in awe like it was the most incredible
thing they'd ever seen! The kids were shown on the 29 minute doc that isn't listed on the list.
But it's on YouTube...for all who want to see it.

So..
Yet these men believe in special powers that protect them from possible animal bites and from witches and warlocks?
Are they a special group of Muslims?

3). One documentary had them in the outskirts of Abuja....traveling to the North.

^^^^^
^^^^^
Hi Mobilia, I hope you're doing good. smiley
I'm glad you liked the very informative videos.

For some reason I can't explain, I didn't see
this response from you because I had a lot of mentions
and likes and so missed yours. Sorry about that!

"HERE IS MY FULL RESPONSE TO YOUR 4 QUESTIONS":

Yet these men believe in special powers that protect them from possible animal bites and
from witches and warlocks? Are they a special group of Muslims?

"Most Hausas are Muslims [perhaps 98%]... but we have some Hausas who
are NOT [they are indigenous Christian Hausa minorities] in the South of Kano State,
Katsina State and thereare some other Hausas called "Maguzawa" who are adherents
of the indigenous religion that existed before the Fulani-led Islamic Jihad of 1804.

In 1804 the Fulani jihad (holy war) leader, Usman dan Fodio, led a revolt against the
Hausa overlords and, in 1807, Kano city was taken. One of dan Fodio’s pupils,
Sulaimanu (Sulemanu), became Kano’s first emir; his successor, Emir Ibrahim
Dabo (1819–46) of the Sullibawa clan, founded the present dynasty.

These "Maguzawas" resisted the foreign invasion of their land and held on to their
indigenous religion." There are Hausa Muslims who still dabble into the use
of charms and talismans for PROTECTION. Some Muslims visit Marabouts for
protection as well.

"I have no idea about this... but there is some use of
metaphysical powers to TAME these wild animals. Some
probably don't use metaphysical powers but probably use
some concoctions to make the animals relatively docile."

"The "hyena men" are itinerent and live in almost all parts of Nigeria.
They don't stay too long in most places they travel to. It is mainly
commercial towns and cities in Nigeria that you will find them.

Please note that Abuja [FCT] is officially classified as being located in the NORTH
of Nigeria [North-Central of Nigeria]."

These "hyena men," snake handlers and other itinerent animal handlers
are very dexterous when interacting with the baboons and other animals.

I need to add that MOST of these guys are just your regular animal handlers
looking for ways to showcase their skills and make some money. But one
CANNOT rule out the FACT that some of these professions can get
infiltrated by charlatans and some criminals/thugs.

"My time in Kano was great. I visited some historical places
and bought some fantastic art works/wooden and leather craft
from there! grin

If you are visiting though, you have to respect their culture
... and as a woman, you may wish to just cover you face with
a very short and stylish hijab and dress decently... while
staying away from discussing very volatile or controversial
religious topics or trying to show that ones religion is better
than theirs... and everything will be just fine.

There is an over 600-year-old market in Kano that was founded by Muhammad Rumfa,
a King of Kano or Sarki in Hausa language, in the 15th century of our current era.
Many artefacts and fantastic leather works are sold there. It is called "KURMI MARKET"
or in HAUSA language ["KASUWAR KURMI"]. You will find a lot of tourists
visiting there from all over the world... especially diplomats who fly in from
Lagos and Abuja for instance to buy art works for export to Europe and
America."

Read more here:
"Kurmi: Kano’s 600-year-old slave market now sanctuary for artifacts"
By Ismail Adebayo, Kano | Published Date Oct 19, 2015
https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/kurmi-kanos-600-year-old-slave-market-now-sanctuary-for-artifacts.html

"Fire razes Kurmi market in Kano, again" - Vanguard News Nigeria
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/04/fire-razes-kurmi-market-kano/

https://www.britannica.com/place/Kano-historical-kingdom-Nigeria

"Kano Kasuwar Kurmi Reputed As Oldest Market In Kano" [3.06MINS]
Channels Television

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wdBYAlfnbI

Expect a second illuminating response from me
to you today.
. smiley

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Konquest: 11:27am On Nov 26, 2018
Mobilia:
Konquest,
How are you?

Oh, you can just cancel those questions that I had asked you a few days ago.
I don't want you to feel uncomfortable conversing with me...or getting the wrong impression.
I'll converse with other folks..(if they are courageous enough) wink

Again, thanks for all of the info you gave here!
You be blessed!
^^^^
^^^^
@Mobilia

Absolutely NOT... I don't feel uncomfortable about
conversing with you or responding to your questions.
I have already given the reasons why I didn't respond
to your reply on time.

OK... I have this info for YOU that I know you'll love to bookmark
from THE PUNCH, Nigeria's widest circulating newspaper, which was published
in the offline and online versions
:

"Trapped between cultures: Nigerian parents in the US, UK, devise ways to save kids"
Published: November 17, 2018
Source: https://punchng.com/trapped-between-cultures-nigerian-parents-in-the-us-uk-devise-ways-to-save-kids/

Source:https://punchng.com/trapped-between-cultures-nigerian-parents-in-the-us-uk-devise-ways-to-save-kids/
"Born and raised in lands thousands of kilometres away from their ancestral homes, many Nigerian parents in the Diaspora are finding new ways of reinforcing indigenous cultures in their children, writes ERIC DUMO."

You may wish to listen to Senegalese-American, AKON'S song
"Mama Africa" in the background with the volume TURNED DOWN
SLIGHLY LOW while reading the article. I found Akon's song to be
"deeply cultural and surreal" while reading the article. Your students
would love the article and music during cultural studies as well.

AKON - "Mama Africa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PL_PW_rjVw [4:27 MINS]

All the best Mobilia. Enjoy! grin

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by OJ111(m): 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
;Dlol
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Oluwapanda1: 9:10pm On Dec 27, 2018
How weird ���

Meanwhile
A discussion currently trending .
http://www.9jaskulgist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=126
Join 9jaskulgist.com today. An online community for connecting student
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by DjTboy(m): 8:13am On Jan 19, 2019
US Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office disputes a 'BuzzFeed'
US Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office disputes a 'BuzzFeed' report that claimed Trump ordered Cohen to lie to Congress

The US special counsel’s office on Friday disputed a "BuzzFeed News" report that claimed President Donald Trump ordered his former lawyer and personal fixer, Michael Cohen, to lie to Congress about a Russian real estate deal.
Read more https://www.naijahot.com.ng/2019/01/us-special-counsel-robert-muellers.html?m=1

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Liba13: 9:47pm On Jan 22, 2019
Platform known for showcasing Africans Globally. Expose your work to sponsors For more information visit the website below: https://www.africagiant.org/

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by gokocleanser: 4:16am On Feb 01, 2019
I'm pretty sure I'm the only American on this whole website lol. grin

Gotta love terrible healthcare [color=#990000][/color] sad
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by Timi1990(m): 5:21am On Mar 02, 2019
khiaa:

When is your family reunion, I hope you have a good time? My family reunion is in July in Montgomery Alabama and I'm excited. cheesy

how do you cope living in alabama ? that state ehnnnn
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by khiaa(f): 11:30am On Mar 04, 2019
Timi1990:

how do you cope living in alabama ? that state ehnnnn

I was raised in California and I'm still here but I have a lot of family in the south.
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by JaceBlaze: 5:49am On Mar 05, 2019
@Ednited,there it is...^^^^^check profile
Re: foreigners chillout joint. by ednited(f): 6:35am On Mar 05, 2019
JaceBlaze:
@Ednited,there it is...

Owww, so cool. If i say something now, you are going to blush grin

1 Like

Re: foreigners chillout joint. by JaceBlaze: 6:40am On Mar 05, 2019
ednited:

Owww, so cool. If i say something now, you are going to blush grin
Guys don't blush lol,you can say whatever you wanna say

(1) (2) (3) ... (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) ... (92) (Reply)

Chadian Soldiers Led By President Idris Debby Burst Boko Haram Warehouse / COVID-19 In US: Thousands Lineup Orderly In Their Cars To Get Food, Items(Pics) / Deadliest Black/African Warriors!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.