Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:53 AM

Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional (1058 Views)

Templates for sale(also request for templates) / 10 Best Free Blogger Templates For 2013 Download / Tutorial: Create Templates For Joomla, Drupal, Direct Css-based Templates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by tundewoods(m): 6:02pm On Jun 28, 2008
Now some of our self claimed "Web Programmers" now seem to want to confuse us with claims that designing rather sad and un attractive templates for their dynamic websites that can generated in less that an hour as they usually claim for their platform is the order of the day.

now my question is this,is it not rather absurd and unprofessional to have a generic template implemented for clients that have paid hard earned money to have a befitting website to end up being given a generic template already implemented for dozens of clients.

if creativity and concept development is still key in web development then i guess that clients deserver more than for some folks to claim to have platforms that can generate such generic websites for a million clients under 12 hours.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Neptune(m): 6:36pm On Jun 28, 2008
ah, what can i say. getting a crash course in web programming in NIIT doesnt make one a professional. I totally agree with you. Its not just unporfessional its somthing else (i really don't have the word for it right now). Can't blame 'em though. its either some people just have an absurd way of thinking or they just don't think at all. I have seen a few here recently myself. its a funny coincidence, considering the timimg of this thread. lol. anyways this is really serious. and the point is, people who have a professional way of thinking know its wrong implementing temples for every other client. so people who do that can't be called professionals.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Afam(m): 7:06pm On Jun 28, 2008
Unadulterated hypocrisy.

And these gentlemen are active users of the most popular Nigerian owned website that is based on a free website script being used by hundreds of thousands if not millions of people worldwide.

Many do not even bother to change any single thing, they just install and begin to use and as the owner of this forum is doing, he is very busy making money even from the same people that think that templates are bad yet some of them are quick to point you to other templates for you use while others maintain they have developed complex dynamic websites only that those websites are hidden from the public, viewable only by the designer and his laptop.

In fairness to the second poster (Neptune) he has a very beautiful graphic on his website it is just that such graphic has no place in the web and frankly speaking the website is pretty useless. Check it out at www.webworkstudio.net

As they say put your money where your mouth is.

And yes, it is possible for people to ask you to setup websites for them by simply viewing websites you have done. That means they don't need proposals as they may have seen enough from people that claim everything and once they collect money they disappear.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Neptune(m): 7:43pm On Jun 28, 2008
hmmm, afam. once again we meet. perhaps you did't read the thread? nairaland is a public forum not a personal website. its p.r.e.t.t.y obvious you know very little about the web in general and you think the little you know covers all. so let me school you a little bit if you'll allow me. first, there are different types of websites. there those meant to inform people and there are those meant to be functional. for example. a photographer wants a website to showcase his/her works. i bet if i designed a site for him/her the beautiful graphics there would'nt have any place on the web either. huh! have you vivited mcdonalds site? its just burgers everywhere, barly a few codes. You still have alot to learn about this web thing boy. being brilliant is different from being a good business man. now does it sound fare to give mcdonalds and the photographer the same site just with different colours? Have you heard of the word BRAND? do you know what it REALLY means? did you know it also applys to websites? how could you possible compare nairaland and my website (for example) does that make any sense to you? they are both website yes, but they have totally different purposes.

And yes, it is possible for people to ask you to setup websites for them by simply viewing websites you have done. That means they don't need proposals as they may have seen enough from people that claim everything and once they collect money they disappear.

in a million years i could never give you a website to design for me by seing your works. never. (nothing personal though) if i showed my client your works, i might not even get jobs from them anymore. lol. thats how bad u suck in web designing. you never see me in the programming section or arguing about codes cos i don't know much about those things. guys i work with do that part. and thats how its suppose to be. thats why theres web designers and web programmers. and if you r good in both? lucky you.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by mambenanje(m): 8:00pm On Jun 28, 2008
@tunde, neptune
I think the main issue here is training and certificatioins. What I mean is for someone to understand how useful design is, ther person has to go back and get some proper education on web development and also THE WEB DEVELOPMENT PROCESS. Where in the client accepts your proposal upon seeing the design.
I don't see any educated web developer telling me the functional codes are more important than the design. I still stress that guys need to take some deep course on web development or any equivalent certification.
And as for nairaland design as Afam is always stressing, take some time off and compare these www.nairaland.com www.omo9ja.com www.blueworld.co.za www.zoopy.com,
nairaland was online about two years before www.blueworld.co.za and www.zoopy.com and blueworld has only 170 thousand africans but the money charl norman made from selling shares after one year is too much for his 23 year old self.
www.zoopy.com also just sold 40% to Vodacom - the largest south african telecom firm.
now tell me if they could associate with such big firms without having good design.
Web masters you should remember that the people using our sites don't know stuff about the codes behind it, all they can judge is what they see because its easier for them to comprehend.
That said, deploying a template for an online software like wordpress is good but deploying templates for your clients is a very very bad idea
CLIENTS ALWAYS STRESS ON BRANDING AND ORIGINALITY unless some small firms that just dont know much about the web, and they just take you as a God in IT. Such cases you have to educate them and not sell them a crapy template that you sell to everyone just because its easier and faster but in the long run they will still get to learn.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Afam(m): 8:03pm On Jun 28, 2008
Trust me when I say my eyes are already aching from reading all these claims without any proof whatsoever.

Ok, you are a wonderful web designer. You work with programmers. So far the only website tied to your name is www.webworkstudios.net and unless you have not visited it even as the owner I am sure the website has no place on the web, non functional links, messages asking people to check back, check back to do what?

Enough of the grammar and claims because close to 100% of the claims by your type on this forum have been exposed as lies.

The other time it was banker at Zenith now I have to deal with your lies? Give me a break please. Lies will always be exposed.

Meanwhile, thanks for the lecture. I never knew you were this daft.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Neptune(m): 8:31pm On Jun 28, 2008
is that all u've got to say to a daft person? ur 1x connection probably would'nt allow you view my whole site. lol. if you want my portfolio afam, just ask for it. but if you took ur time to wait just alittle for my site to finish loading, u'll see my 2005-2006 portfolio. hope that would help you in critisizing me the more. ehn. o boy i've been designing sites since 2003. i dont know if you even had a computer then. so think twice before you call me daft. here's a site im working on (no functionalities yet though) www.fashionidolsonline.com ask and it shalll be given. there you go.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Afam(m): 8:44pm On Jun 28, 2008
I must confess the site you provided the link is cool. If you had implemented 1/4 of what you have on your own website (assuming you are the one working on the site anyway as I have seen more lies than truth on this from from web designers) I guess your website would have been a lot better.

About when you started designing websites, it is not a matter of how long but how well.

I will not ask for your portfolio, the link on your website should be able to point to it.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by mambenanje(m): 8:55pm On Jun 28, 2008
Afam
if you are the God of web development tell me
I wonder what will happen if you had the chance to become Seun Osewa with this your arogance. i expect you to be proud about making money not proud about un pleasantly designed sites. there is no place for bad design on the internet, but if its making money good and fine it works.
Seun is making his money and he doesnt care alot about the codes your preaching [ which I still doubt your competence ].
all in all good design is key to every good product. "go up come down " thats the point. If you want to sell me a badly designed house On seeing it, i wont go inside to even know how strong it is but a good design will make me go into the house to see whats there.
So bad design for good functional site will rather scare clients who wont even see your good functionality
take or leave it, its from the dumbest guy on nairaland
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Neptune(m): 8:58pm On Jun 28, 2008
it's a pitty do dont know me man. really. i keep my mouth shut very often. that way, i learn a lot. i dont need to prove myself to anybody. like it or not in the nigerian web industry, i have a place (not to brag) if my former boss saw that site, believe me, he'll know i designed it. and as for me it's how long that matters as long as you keep learning. so before you open your mouth to call me names. think and think again. you never know i might just do you a favour in future. and about my portfolio, if i wanted the whole world to see it, i could start by using it as my signature you know. but hey, i'm not in nairaland to look for jobs. i here to learn and share my ideas with other people.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Afam(m): 9:34pm On Jun 28, 2008
Neptune:

it's a pitty do don't know me man. really. i keep my mouth shut very often. that way, i learn a lot. i don't need to prove myself to anybody. like it or not in the nigerian web industry, i have a place (not to brag) if my former boss saw that site, believe me, he'll know i designed it. and as for me it's how long that matters as long as you keep learning. so before you open your mouth to call me names. think and think again. you never know i might just do you a favour in future. and about my portfolio, if i wanted the whole world to see it, i could start by using it as my signature you know. but hey, i'm not in nairaland to look for jobs. i here to learn and share my ideas with other people.

It's a pity I don't know you? What's this? Pity?

You might do me a favor in future? Whao! It seems this forum has been taken over by web design experts that are now looking for people to do favors to.

Now listen clearly, I do not need your stupid favors, I have never exchanged words with you on this forum before and I believe I have never insulted anyone before. So, your patronizing statements are really disgusting because for every single word that I have directed at your person there was one sent my way by you so go straight to hell and rot here.

Idiots like you will insult people and when they respond in kind you begin to play the victim.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by SamMilla1(m): 9:45pm On Jun 28, 2008
What i sense here is Anger, Frustration,Disappointments and so on.
All clients doesnt pay the same amount.
So, some may have to do with a generic template.
And if they dont complain, who are you then.?

WHY DONT YOU GENIUSES DEVELOP TEMPLATES AND SELL
THEM OR ALLOW PEOPLE TO USE THEM FOR FREE AND
ADVERTISE YOUR NAMES, THATS WHAT SENSIBLE PEOPLE DO.?

Afam and co, why dont you people easily become the biggest designers on earth and look beyond nairaland webmaster section.
I know a site where Americans hire Indian programmers everyday to do their work for them.
Dont you know that you could all reach that level in life.
All you do here is to sit back in a swing chair and look down upon people because they are not like you.
RUBISH!!
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Neptune(m): 10:06pm On Jun 28, 2008
I have never exchanged words with you on this forum before and I believe I have never insulted anyone before

, and what exactly do u suppose these mean:

In fairness to the second poster (Neptune) he has a very beautiful graphic on his website it is just that such graphic has no place in the web and frankly speaking the website is pretty useless. Check it out at www.webworkstudio.net

As they say put your money where your mouth is.

The other time it was banker at Zenith now I have to deal with your lies? Give me a break please. Lies will always be exposed.

Meanwhile, thanks for the lecture. I never knew you were this daft.

just to mention a few. now tell me or rather quote me if i every insulted you or anyone on this forum.

and oh, not to forget
Idiots like you will insult people and when they respond in kind you begin to play the victim.

what exactly is your problem afam? why do i keep getting all these just by replying to a thread? well, i goin to put it to you like this. let that be the last of your abuses to me. seriously.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by nacom(f): 10:15pm On Jun 28, 2008
No matter what you say a leopand will never change its spots, AFAM will always remain adamant and claim to be what he isn't . Save your energy for something else and lets leave this LOOSER called AFAM to keep on making his usual NOISE like a broken record.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by uspry1(f): 10:39pm On Jun 28, 2008
In the USA in a big company(designing firms), when they look for experienced web developers, they OFTEN EMPHASIZED telling the applicants that they do not ACCEPT ANY GENERIC TEMPLATES only they want their career portfolios of all their works.

Some (interviewers) are asked for showing sample coding to proof that you have the capability of writing REAL CODES, not copy-n-paste coding.

I have seen LOT of the USA online career application with portfolio link/PDF upload request electronically (some companies are not accepting email attachments). That is why i know what's going on out there.

I have no problem submitting my sample portfolio or link provided showing my work as well as proposals before they determine to hire me for the job.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Afam(m): 11:10pm On Jun 28, 2008
Neptune:

what exactly is your problem afam? why do i keep getting all these just by replying to a thread? well, i goin to put it to you like this. let that be the last of your abuses to me. seriously.

So, you are the one getting insults just because you replied to a thread? You are pathetic.

na.com:

No matter what you say a leopand will never change its spots, AFAM will always remain adamant and claim to be what he isn't . Save your energy for something else and lets leave this LOOSER called AFAM to keep on making his usual NOISE like a broken record.

How leopard (not leopand) go change hin skin when wonderful web designers like you keep bragging about beautiful websites that are pretty useless functionality wise?

Was this not what you were bragging about that made you feel you had the world in your pocket? http://nigerianauditions.com/indexna.php I can see how active that website is. I told you then and I am telling you again you don't have what it takes to succeed in life.

Humility and honesty are very important.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by nacom(f): 11:24pm On Jun 28, 2008
@ AFAM

I am sure you are one OLD, LONELY and DEJECTED IDIOT that stays glued to your computer to seek solace and company from forums like this one.

The point is you will always REMAIN a LOSER take it from me and MARK my WORDS. The good thing is once i GRADUATE next year i will be back to Naija to get things right HOWEVER in YOUR case AGE is not at your SIDE.

How OLD are you anyway ? Let me guess 39 years or 40 years right ? Too Bad i'll be 20 years in december and still have a lot to learn.

DONT you dare tell me about HUMILITY and HONESTY because IDOITS like you DONT have such WORDS in there DICTIONARY angry
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by neo2(m): 11:35pm On Jun 28, 2008
dis afam guy. causing trouble everywhere. ur like a little fu**king demon tourmenting the whole forum. damn! how do you sleep at night? i took a little time to check a few of your works [Just Alternative Power, justwebservices, www.tonarcinvestment.com &www.jwspreview.com/furniture] and huh! thats what you have to show for you whole loud mouth. thats shameful men! i totally agree with the poster above, u must be one lonly motherfu**er! undecided hahaha! talk about foolproof. look at dis fool. total disapointment and waste of time. go find somewhere to rest your head u little demon and quit tourmenting people all around.
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by Afam(m): 11:56pm On Jun 28, 2008
neo.:

this afam guy. causing trouble everywhere. your like a little fu**king demon tourmenting the whole forum. damn! how do you sleep at night? i took a little time to check a few of your works [Just Alternative Power, justwebservices, www.tonarcinvestment.com &www.jwspreview.com/furniture] and huh! thats what you have to show for you whole loud mouth. thats shameful men! i totally agree with the poster above, u must be one lonly motherfu**er! undecided hahaha! talk about foolproof. look at this fool. total disapointment and waste of time. go find somewhere to rest your head u little demon and quit tourmenting people all around.

Thanks anyway for visiting those websites grin
Re: Deploying Generic Templates For Client Websites Is Rather Un Professional by nacom(f): 12:23am On Jun 29, 2008
neo.:

this afam guy. causing trouble everywhere. your like[b] a little fu**king demon tourmenting the whole forum[/b]. damn! how do you sleep at night?

EXACTLY what i was thinking except that i dont think he's a LITTLE Demon rather an OLD & DEJECTED Demon with no sense of DIRECTION .

(1) (Reply)

Own A B2b Website Like Alibaba.com For Just N50,000.00 / Introducing World Afropedia. An Afrikan Centered. Join Us And Add Knowledge / Scam Request To Update Visa Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.