Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,935 members, 7,806,711 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Scientists Explain Their Faith. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Scientists Explain Their Faith. (3545 Views)

Hundreds Of Christians From India Have Been Banned From Practicing Their Faith / How Christians Died For Their Faith While Muslims Kill For Islam / How Should Christians Stand Up For Their Faith In Such An Anti-christian World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by Emusan(m): 3:31pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

what testimony? angry

The kind of Op one......

Still waiting for that day.........
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 3:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

Are u indirectly telling me to leave your thread alone?

I am telling you that being an atheist does not automatically mean you are intelligent, wise or enlightened. Intelligent people pick their battles wisely.

2 Likes

Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by truthislight: 7:35pm On Oct 10, 2013
ooman:

If the human mind cannot contain it, how then do you comprehend this bigger picture.

He explains himself in divers ways.

From nature to some other ways.
Just like you will explain somethings to a little child, but only and if only the child is humble enough to learn.

So, considering the experiences of the scientist on this thread and what they are saying, it shows an aspect of learning from nature and 'getting the big picture'.

Peace
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 5:24pm On Oct 11, 2013
8. DR. IRENE HOF. LAURENCEAU. Dr Irene is an orthopedic surgeon in Switzerland. At one time, she doubted God's existence. But she has now come to the conclusion that God exists and that he is the creator of life.

HER STORY:
As a child, I was fascinated by nature. My father worked for a short time as an attendant in an operating room at a hospital. He spoke so enthusiastically about surgery that I later chose surgery as a profession. I specialized in orthopedic surgery because I like the mechanical aspect of it. Orthopedic surgeons have to think like an engineer in order to repair the bones, muscles and tendons that enable us to move about.

I began to doubt the existence of God in my youth. First, I discovered that certain religious instructors at church were immoral, and this disturbed me considerably. Second, at school, some of my biology teachers believed in evolution - a teaching I came to accept. I accepted evolution because I thought that the similarity in anatomy between certain kinds of animals pointed to a common ancestry and suported the notion that genetic mutations lead to new species.

I began to change my mind at the time when I was researching knee surgery. Beginning in the late 1960s, scientists began to understand the knee's intricate mechanism more clearly. They found that our knee does not only bend on a single axis like a hinge. Rather, it both rolls and glides - an ingenious combination that gives the knee a greater range of movement.

For some 40 years, researchers have tried to design an artificial knee. But the complexity of the human knee makes it difficult to duplicate. Moreover, compared with our knees, artificial products have a relatively short life span. To me, the knee testifies, not to the blind process of evolution, but to the wisdom of God.

The similarities in anatomy between species point to the same Designer. Moreover, about genetic mutations leading to new species, mutations do not improve the designs in living organisms by elevating them to a higher kind. Rather, mutations tend to damage genes. Of course, it is possible that an accident can serve a beneficial purpose, such as when, for instance, a train crashes into a bridge and wrecks it, thus protecting a city from an invading army. But that did not improve the city. Likewise mutations do not improve organisms. And they could never produce something so brilliantly designed as the human knee.

Awake August 2013.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 5:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
Not sure if the next one is a Christian, but his words bear quoting.

Michael Denton, molecular biologist:

'Even the simplest of all living systems on earth today, bacterial cells, are exceedingly complex objects. Although the tiniest bacterial cells are exceedingly small.....each is in effect a veritable micromimiaturized factory containing thousands of exquisitely designed pieces of intricate molecular machinery....far more complicated than any machine built by man and absolutely without parallel in the non-living world.

The capacity or DNA to store information vastly exceeds that of any other known system; it is so efficient that all the information needed to specify an organism as complex as man weighs less that a few thousand millionths of a gram.....Alongside the level of ingenuity and complexity exhibited by the molecular machinery of life, even our most advanced products appear clumsy. We feel humbled.

The complexity of the simplest known type of cell is so great that it is impossible to accept that such an object could have been thrown together by some freakish, vastly improbable event.

- Michael Denton- Evolution: A Theory in Crisis
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 5:09am On Oct 12, 2013
9. BRETT SCHNENCK - environmental consultant. Schenck is a retired consultant in the U.S.A. He studied the interdependency of plants, animals and the environment. Below he explains why he believes in a creator.

HIS STORY:
I studied ecology at the Purdue university. Although I was interested in religion, and had even studied Koine greek ( one of the languages in which the Bible was written) at the same time, I accepted the theory of evolution. Although I respected the Bible, I didn't think it came from God.

At a point, I decided to research the issue of whether the Bible is in harmony with scientific facts. I came across scriptures that show that the Bible, though not a science textbook, is scientifically accurate. For example, it says of God: 'There is one who is dwelling upon the circle of the earth.' - Isaiah 40:22. It also says 'He is......hanging the earth upon nothing' - Job 26:7.

At that time, I was using satellite photographs to study ecology, so these scriptures impressed me. They were written long before anyone photographed the circle of the earth hanging upon nothing. As my wife and I studied the Bible more, I learned of prophecies that had come true, advice that works, and explanations that satisfied me. Gradually I became convinced that the Bible is the word of God.

As I did more research, I learnt many things about the theory of evolution. To mention just one, the evolution theory attempts to explain the origin of species. Living things are made up of efficient organs, such as the heart, lungs and eyes. Also, at the microscopic level, we see marvelously designed 'machines' within cells. Where do the designs for these come from? Evolutionists claim that the best mechanisms are automatically selected because the living things that have them survive better. But that idea does not answer the question: Where do the mechanisms come from? I learned that many scientists do not believe that the evolution theory answers that question. A professor of zoology confided to me that he did not believe the theories of evolution. However he does not air his views for fear of losing his job.

My knowledge of ecology strengthens my faith. My work involved studying how living things depend on each other. Consider flowers and bees for example. The colour, fragrance, nectar and structure of flowers are designed to attract bees and to sprinkle them with pollen. Bees are designed to extract nectar and to take one flower's pollen to another plant for fertilization. Clearly, the flowers and bees are designed to supply what the other needs.

In an ecosystem, we see interdependence on a vast scale. Although ecosystems are exceedingly complex and the organisms in them are fragile, they can continue surviving for millenia. Even after damage by pollution, once the source of pollution is gone, a complex ecosystem soon develops again. When I think about the resilience of the entire system of life on earth, I am convinced that life was designed by God.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 1:20am On Oct 13, 2013
10. DR. PAULO CHIOZZI. Doctor Paulo Chiozi is a molecular biologist at the Univeristy of Ferrara.

HER STORY:
When I was a child, my father suddenly died of a heart attack. I wondered 'how could the Creator allow suffering and death?' My studies did not help me find the answer to this question.

However, when I became a molecular biologist, I bean to study the normal, programmed death of the cells that make up our body. Our body is made up of trillions of microscopic cells. Practically all of them must die and be replaced. Some die and are replaced every few weeks, and others every few years. Our body's system of programmed cell death has to be highly controlled to maintain the delicate balance between cell death and cell formation.

I became convinced that the system of programmed cell death was designed. I use powerful microscopes to study the many complex mechanisms that regulate the process. The complexity of the whole process is mind blogging, yet its elegance displays exceptional wisdom. I have come to believe that this is the wisdom of God.
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 3:23pm On Oct 14, 2013
11. PROFESSOR MICHAEL BEHE. Michael Behe is an American biochemist. He currently serves as professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University in Pennsylvania and as a senior fellow of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture

He has spent most of his life studying the complex internal functions of living cells, and in his view, those who teach the evolution of cell structure have no basis for their claims. Could evolution occur at this tiny, molecular level? He says:

“Molecular evolution is not based on scientific authority,” .....There is no publication in the scientific literature—in prestigious journals, specialty journals, or books—that describes how molecular evolution of any real, complex, biochemical system either did occur or even might have occurred. . . . The assertion of Darwinian molecular evolution is merely bluster.”

If evolutionists lack explanations, why do they preach their ideas so loudly? Behe explains: “Many people, including many important and well-respected scientists, just don’t want there to be anything beyond nature.”
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 3:25pm On Oct 14, 2013
PROFESSOR DAVID BLOCK

“It is possible to be a scientist and believe that there is a God,” states the South African newspaper The Star. The article reported on a 90-minute lecture by Professor David Block, an astronomer at Johannesburg’s University of the Witwatersrand. Block explained that science confirms how “finely tuned and balanced” the universe is.
For Block and many other scientists, this clearly indicates purposeful design, which, in turn, strongly suggests a Designer. According to The Star, Block concludes that there is such overwhelming evidence for God’s existence “that a man who does not believe in a Creator would have to have more faith than one who does [believe in a Creator].”
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 3:39pm On Oct 14, 2013
JOHN GLENN was the first American astronaut to orbit the earth. He was a combat aviator in the Marine Corps and member of the Mercury Seven, the elite U.S. military test pilots selected by NASA to operate the experimental Mercury spacecraft and become the first American astronauts.

On February 20, 1962, he flew the Friendship 7 mission and became the first American to orbit the Earth and the fifth person in space.

His comments?

“Could this have just happened? . . . I can’t believe that..........Some Power put all this into orbit and keeps it there.”
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2014
WENLONG HE - EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICIST
WENLONG HE first studied physics in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China. He helps edit an international journal of technology and has had dozens of papers published in scientific literature. At present, Wenlong He works for Scotland’s University of Strathclyde

HIS STORY:

My parents were atheists. I’m the eldest of their five sons. Sadly, two of my brothers died young. That caused me much grief, and I wondered: ‘Why do people die? Will I ever see my brothers again?’

I wanted to study physics because I was intrigued by the natural world and I thought physics might answer the questions that had intrigued me since childhood.I explore ways of accelerating charged particles to speeds close to the speed of light. I do this to study the structure of atoms. I also investigate how to generate high-power radiation with a frequency between that of microwave and infrared radiation. Although my research has commercial value, it is also linked to efforts to understand how the universe began.

In 1998, I began to study the Bible. I was impressed by its practical advice. What the Bible says about God set me to wondering again whether the universe could have been created. As a physicist, my job is to understand nature. So I decided to give the facts some careful thought.

First, I knew that a closed system cannot become more organized or remain organized unless acted upon by an external agent. That is the second law of thermodynamics. Since the universe and life on earth are highly ordered, I concluded that they must be products of an external agent, a Creator. The second fact was that the universe and the earth seem to be specifically designed to support life.

Practically all life on earth depends on energy from the sun. This energy travels through space as radiation. It comes to earth in a vast spectrum of wavelengths. The shortest are the lethal gamma rays. Then come X-rays, ultraviolet rays, visible light, infrared, microwaves, and the longest of all, radio waves. Remarkably, our atmosphere blocks much harmful radiation while allowing other needed radiation to reach the earth’s surface.

I was intrigued by the introduction to the Bible’s creation account and its reference to light. It states: “God said: ‘Let there be light.’ Then there was light.”* Only a very narrow band of the vast spectrum of solar radiation is visible light, but light is vital for life. Plants need it to produce food, and we need light to see. The atmosphere’s special transparency to light cannot be a coincidence. Even more remarkable is the tiny amount of ultraviolet light that reaches the earth’s surface.

Some ultraviolet radiation is critical. We need a small amount of it on our skin to produce vitamin D, which is vital for bone health and evidently for protection from cancer and other diseases. However, too much of this particular radiation causes skin cancer and eye cataracts. In its natural state, the atmosphere allows only a tiny amount of this ultraviolet radiation to reach the earth’s surface—and it is just the right amount. For me, that is evidence that someone designed the earth to sustain life.

Gradually my wife and I became convinced that there is a Creator and that he inspired the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by sciyhf(f): 10:50pm On Oct 04, 2014
honeychild:
4. KENNETH TANAKA - Geologist, USA
Kenneth Tanaka holds a Ph.d in geology. He serves on advisory commitees to NASA, has worked on mapping the geology of Mars, and supports spacecraft missions to Mars.

HIS STORY:
As a child, I attended Sunday school at a Baptist church, but mostly to participate in hiking and camping trips. The rest of my family showed no interest in religion or God. As I became acquainted with history and the atrocities religion had committed, my conscience impelled me to withdraw from church activities. I also began to doubt God’s existence, as science seemed to be able to explain just about everything.

I attended the California Institute of Technology,(CalTech) where I studied geology. My courses investigated geologic time and earth history as revealed in the fossil record. Regarding the fossil record, I was taught that species evolved. My understanding was that evolution had yet to be proved. Still, I felt that as a theory, evolution seemed to be a reasonable explanation for the available geologic evidence, especially when contrasted with popular creationism. When I heard of a forthcoming debate on campus between creationists and evolutionists, I decided not to go. It was obvious that the earth was not made in less than a week—as some creationists claim!

Although my training in evolutionary theory had crowded out belief in God, later I was forced to reconsider my views. For example, my trips to study the geology of the southwestern United States forced me to review my ideas on God’s existence. There, at night, while viewing the magnificent celestial panorama through the clear desert skies, I could not help but conclude that God must have created the universe. Astronomers had confirmed that the universe had a beginning, but I could see that there would never be a purely scientific explanation for why this event had taken place. It seemed reasonable to believe that an intelligent, powerful Creator had designed and produced the cosmos around us.

By the time I received my doctorate degree in the geological sciences in 1983, at the age of 27, I was mapping the geology of Mars for the U.S. Geological Survey. I serve on advisory committees for NASA, and work to support spacecraft missions to Mars. Through my research and professional responsibilities, I have met respected planetary scientists from many countries, universities, and research institutions.
All that training and research experience gradually corrected my romantic childhood view of science. I came to realize that science does not have and will never provide all the answers. In particular, I came to see that science does not provide enduring purpose or meaning to life.

In September 1981, I began to spend several hours each week carefully examining Scriptural teachings. To my surprise, I found substantial knowledge and deep insight in the pages of the Bible. I was fascinated with researching the scientific accuracy of the Bible and the fulfillment of hundreds of detailed prophecies applying to events occurring over thousands of years of human history. I was especially impressed by how the integration of multiple Bible prophecies—in the books of Daniel and Revelation—provides a solid basis for determining that we live in “the last days'.

Meanwhile, as I participated in formal scientific research, I came to see how many times theories had become widely accepted for a while, only to be proved incorrect later. Part of the challenge for scientists is that our subjects are complicated, while our data and research tools are limited. Thus, I have learned to be cautious about accepting as fact unproved theories, no matter how carefully they may be crafted.
Realistically, many fundamental aspects of our natural world cannot be explained by science. For instance, why are the available building blocks of life and the physical laws governing them perfectly suited to sustain complex life processes and ecosystems? While science is not equipped to reveal God, his inspired Word provides tangible evidence of his existence and activities as Creator. (2 Timothy 3:16) With this spiritual knowledge, we can appreciate the One responsible for the power, wisdom, and beauty evident in our physical world.

I came to understand that there is quite a lot of consistency between known scientific facts and proper understanding of the Bible. For example, the fossil record is shown to match the general sequence of the appearance of living forms described in the book of Genesis. Furthermore, a creative day as understood by the ancients can mean an epoch of extended duration, in much the same way as the terms “period” and “era” are used by science in describing earth history. Thus, the Bible is not at odds with scientific findings. It indicates that the creative days lasted aeons. It does not support the conclusion of creationists who believe that those days were each 24 hours in length.

As a scientist, I have no taste for credulity. But I have deep respect for well-founded faith. Trust in God’s promises is founded on established proof that the Bible is inspired by God. I saw the need to avoid common but baseless religious doctrines that contradict the Scriptures. These include the teachings of an immortal soul, hellfire, the Trinity, and others. Many such erroneous doctrines arose from ancient philosophy and mythology or from poor Bible scholarship. Adherence to false teachings has led to the ‘blind faith’ practiced by most religionists today, which has caused many scientists to have little regard for religion.
I still enjoy investigating Mars and other parts of the universe through the “eyes” of sophisticated spacecraft sent to explore our celestial neighborhood. However, I have come to appreciate that true meaning in life comes with accurate knowledge of God and his purpose for mankind, which is the real sense of Jesus’ words emblazoned on one of the seals of Caltech: “The truth shall make you free’

- summarized from Awake! Sept 22 2003. www.jw.org

I must agree with him on this... In geology, the fossils and occurance of life is in the same sequence as earth's creation... Again it is calculated that thefrom the precambrian age and existence of life was about 6000 years... It might actually be the 6days quoted by the bible. Also, the earth division in the bible started after man's existence... Just like in the bible before the tower of Babel.. I will look for more evidence to support all I have said... This was my research years ago.. Can't really find where I placed the article to show u more how science evidences Concords to that of the bible.
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by sciyhf(f): 11:05pm On Oct 04, 2014
I must also share this.. I saw a documentary on TV about UFOs. Victims or witnesses were questioned and they all shared their experience and thoughts. So scientist and researchers concluded on the existence of UFOs. Not just as aliens from different planets or whatever but Also as forces within the earth. And also proved that all those that witnessed it as one thing in common, they are not religious and some has had contacts with evil powers kind off. so they began to work on means for this victims or other victims to fight the UFOs that often attack them, real aliens. But the most intriguing part is that after years of researches and hard work, they concluded that the only solution they have now is the mention of the name of Jesus.. That they haven't figured out how that works but later victims that claim to be saved after the attacks or stopped having attacks did after they mentioned Jesus. Weird right? But I saw it with my two eyes in a channel on Multi TV..
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 11:28pm On Oct 04, 2014
@scihf
Could the UFOs actually be spirits then? Not really done much reading on UFOs sha!
Re: Scientists Explain Their Faith. by honeychild(f): 11:40pm On Oct 04, 2014
DR HANS KRISTIAN KOTLAR: Biotechnologist
Dr Kotlar has studied cancer and the human immune system.

HIS STORY:
My father was Catholic and my mother was Protestant. That said, they did not view religion as important. As for me, during my teens, I wondered about the meaning of life, and I read books about Buddhism, Hinduism, and Islam. I even asked God to reveal the truth to me.

By the 1970’s, the field of molecular biology had made some amazing advances, and I wondered if it might reveal how life began. The mechanisms within living cells intrigued me, so I chose to study biotechnology. I might add that most of my professors said that life evolved by natural processes, and I believed them.

I began to study the Bible to find out if it harmonized with Science. I was shown what the Bible says about the Source of the energy manifest in the universe - in the book of Isaiah 40:26 . “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. Who has created these things? . . . Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power, not one of them is missing.” This statement intrigued me. It also seemed reasonable that only an intelligent Source of energy could account for the order in the universe.

Gradually, my views on evolution changed as I came to realize that the various theories of evolution lacked rigorous scientific proof. In fact, they are basically stories invented to explain how the remarkable designs found within living things, such as the immune system, could originate in a mindless manner. The more I studied the immune system, the more I realized just how complex and effective it is. Thus, my research led me to conclude that life is a product of an intelligent Creator.

The immune system is actually an astonishing array of structures and mechanisms designed to defend us from a wide variety of agents, including bacteria and viruses. The mechanisms, in turn, can be grouped into two complementary systems. The first mobilizes an attack on invading microbes within hours. The second takes several days to respond but targets the invaders like a well-aimed arrow. This second system also has a good memory, so that if a specific invader returns years later, this enemy will be met with a rapid response. The whole system works so well that often you do not even realize that you have been infected and effectively defended. Also amazing is the way the immune system distinguishes between foreign substances and the hundreds of cell types that make up our body.

Microbes sneak in through our breath, our food, our urogenital tract, or breaks in our skin. When the immune system detects intruders, it sets in motion a cascade of reactions involving dozens of precisely designed proteins. Each component in this cascade activates the next to amplify the counterattack. The process is mind-boggling!

The power and sophistication of our immune system points to a wise and loving Creator. I might add that science has also strengthened my faith in the Bible. For example, Proverbs 17:22 tells us that “a joyful heart is good medicine.” Researchers have discovered that our state of mind can influence our immune system. Stress, for instance, can weaken our immune response.

The reasons why many of my peers do not believe in a Creator vary. Some, as was true of me, simply accept what they were taught. Perhaps they assume that evolution is backed up by good science. Others give little thought to how life began. That’s a pity. I think they should ask more questions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Megachurch Preacher Paula White Marries Rocker Jonathan Cain In Third Marriage / How To Witness To A Muslim / God/jesus Must Save Satan First, Before He Could Achieve Saving Human Being.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.