Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Should HND Holders Go To Hell? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should HND Holders Go To Hell? (7128 Views)

HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / HND Holders: How Late Is Too Late For A BSc? / Hope For Hnd Holders, Hnd / Bsc Conversion Programme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Yemiremi: 5:24pm On Jun 06, 2006
should HND holders go to hell. why no jobs for them
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by sego: 12:18pm On Jun 07, 2006
i think hnd is becoming a 'higher national disease
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Jean2(m): 12:25pm On Jun 07, 2006
It is unfortunate we are not getting a lot of things right in this country.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by sego: 12:25pm On Jun 07, 2006
i have hnd too,but in this country where the level of unemployment is so high,hnd holders are always the hits.yet,we still give the bsc a hot chase for their certificates.in ican,hnd holders pass more always(verify).pleaseeeee banks give us equal chance to prove ourselves
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 1:25pm On Jun 16, 2006
Please o, HND holders should not go to hell simply because banks and other companies refuse to give them jobs. With the scarcity of jobs in nigeria i advice holders of HND certificates in nigeria to try and be enterpreneurs or self-employed rather than doing nothing or sitting idle waiting for white collar jobs that never come. After all HND holders ve the enterpreneurship skills and knowledge to be self employed. I ve HND too and i,m working but under-employed simply because i hold HND certificate. But that does not mean i should go to hell. I will soon be an employer very soon, by God's grace. Just start any biz no matter how little it is, it will surely grow big one day. Cheers!!
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by tolagbaju(m): 7:39am On Jun 17, 2006
I really feel for the HND graduates. Nigeria is a country in which graduates are so much such that all these companies and multinationals had to thread down the number of people that would be invited for dia test. Thats why they result to inviting 2.1 University graduates alone for test. I'm a BSc Physics grad working in Deloitte( Accounting firm) just because I passed dia aptitude test. My advice for HND grad is to add more feathers to dia caps by doing some certification or professional exams.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by kevy(m): 11:46am On Jun 17, 2006
hey guys,thanks for your contributions.i have hnd and believe me, its not been easy.working on starting my own business at the moment.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by 2good(m): 12:24pm On Jun 17, 2006
I think the best thing for HND holders to do is to go back to the University and get their BSc. in just 2 years for business courses and 3 years for Engineering courses.
You might think 2 years is too much until you start and be surprise how fast time flies.
I'm a BSc.
Wish you all good luck.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by valmeji(f): 10:11am On Jun 20, 2006
i really don't think it's fair. the HND students do more practials than university students but in a country like ours the university man carries the brightest logo so best advice do your masters in a university.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by BLUEWISE: 3:42pm On Jun 20, 2006
as an Hnd gradute, u can only be discriminated against if u urself discriminate against urself.
this is what i believe and live on.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hotstepper(f): 3:53pm On Jun 20, 2006
do you want to go to hell
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 12:51pm On Jun 21, 2006
There are no jobs in nigeria thats what brought about all these discriminations against HND holders. Today its not only HND o! even Degree holders have their own discrimination given to them; like 2.1 or 1st class degrees only, grad of state or private uni need not apply, only grad of fed uni shld apply; or grad of unilag, UI, Ife, ABU and UNN only; and all that. My advice is, if you cannot set up a small biz and manage it well, since you think its only Bsc holders that get the jobs, kindly go back to a university and get the Bsc certificate as someone suggested; but that is not a guarantee that you will get a job. Also remember that some HND holders are gainfully employed and are doing well. Dont go to any state or private university o! be warned!!!

1 Like

Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by sego: 2:14pm On Jun 21, 2006
its a nice suggestion to go back to school and do ur BSC,but mark u that HND holders start from second yr and not 3rd yr in any university.Only a few new schools(3/4) which may be far from u starts from 3rd yr.Who will still fund u,assuming u still have sibblings coming up.If u finish ur service at the age of 25 or 26 after one yr NYSC waiting,will u still suggest one goes back and burn another 2 or 3yrs more to obtain a BSC,and still meet the 26/27 age requirement of multi-nationals If u do ur masters like me,u will be hearing"sorry u are over qualified,we can't pay u".So my dear fellow HND holders,the war is like "whites against blacks",fight to finish,be the best in ur field,and u will survive,all the best.

1 Like

Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 4:16pm On Jun 23, 2006
Getting a Bsc is not what matters now, but getting a job. Dont we have people with only WASC/GCE that are gainfully employed? I beg we should stop decieving our selves about holding this Degree or the other. So many people have Degrees and are still not employed. Na lie? This issue does not affect HND holders alone but also affects people with Bsc, MSc, MBA etc. No decieve ur self come go turn to Baba for school. Who go sponsor u sef? Self employment is better jo, try it and see.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Mystique(f): 9:50am On Jul 17, 2006
Please dont go to hell, just try to get a professional qualification or Masters to beef up ur marketability smiley
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by commyjay(m): 10:36am On Jul 17, 2006
I dont think HND holders should go to hell, I am an HND holder too, I have made it a point of duty not to go for BSc, I am determined to get to the top of my proffession which is banking and proof a point. Will anybody say a former Managing Directorof a bank that is ranked amongst the first 5 banks in Nigeria is not an achiver in the Banking industry? of course not, he is an HND holder too, though he is one of the foremost people fighting against the employment of HND holders as regular staff in the Banking industry. I feel the HND holders should first see themselves as equal to the BSc holders, It is not your certifate that is important but what you can offer.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2006
I pity those who believe in obtaining a university degree after HND. This really makes you look like someone that is not too sure of his/her qualification. The problem HND holders in nigera have is the inferiority complex exhibited by some of them. But for some of us that know what we passed thru b4 grabbing the HND certificate we will always feel like every other graduate no matter the institution. After your HND go to UK and do a Masters program directly or start a PGD here in nigeria b4 doing MSC. You will be in the same class with other uni graduates, so try and prove to them that ur qualification is as good as theirs. Dont waste your time going back to do a BSc, after all there is no assurance that u will get a job after the BSc program.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by commyjay(m): 9:56am On Jul 18, 2006
I guess u are right, the sky is the beginning if u can proof ur worth even with ur HND.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 6:08pm On Jul 18, 2006
My brother i have seen situations where HND holders denounce polytechnics becos of inferiority complex; this is one of the reasons why the society and employers alike think that HND holders are not as good and sound as their Bsc counterparts. A friend and classmate of mine who graduated from a polytechnic was in the midst of other university graduates, he felt so inferior that he told them lies that he too graduated from one of the universities in nigeria. But why on earth would i deny my Alma-mater? A place where i was properly trained? A place where i got all the skills that i'm using to work 2day!! No, i cant do that. I once had a discussion with a friend in Lagos then, just after my NYSC; she was so happy and excited the way we were gisting and asked where i graduated from? I happily told her i graduated from a polytechnic, but she was suprised and did not believe me. You know wat she said? That i dont talk and behave like a polytechnic graduate, that i was just joking; cos she herself graduated from LASU. So she refused to believe me. My response to her was "Is it only people that attended uni that are intelligent and sharp? If u have been thinking so then u,re wrong cos a lot of us from the polytechnics are good if not better than most of you from the universities". At the end of the day she agreed with me that HND holders are as good as Bsc holders. Pls HND holders should feel proud to tell people that they are products of nigerian polytechnics. After all our HND in nigeria is higher and different from that of UK and other countries; We spend 5 good years to get HND in nigeria while in UK it is just 2 years and in Ghana it is 3 years. Pls o!! feel proud to tell people that u are a Nigerian polytechnic graduate.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by commyjay(m): 9:03am On Jul 19, 2006
Ishmael,
U have said it all, It is the name you give yourself that pple call u by. I believe the Poly graduates shd start believing in themselves first, then the society will do same. However, government can also turn all polytechnics to Degree Awarding schools now so that employers don't look down on Poly graduates.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hndholder(m): 12:15pm On Jul 19, 2006
I will not go to hell, I refuse it in OBJ'S name

Lazy Polytechnic product can go to Hell any way. Degree holders are also in the same unemployment. Doctors too can not have a place any more for house-manship. just odinary IT now so difficult.
http://www.tribune.com.ng/22052006/news/news6.html 
''THE age-long difference on parity between graduates of the university and their polytechnic counterparts was finally laid to rest this year by the federal government when a bill was passed into law to bridge the gap. Higher National Diploma (HND) holders heaved a sigh of relief by this proclamation from the federal government through the National Assembly. Kudos to President Obasanjo.But in actual sense , can we equate products from these two institutions? It is pertinent to note that while the university is a research institute, the polytechnic is a citadel of technical innovation'' http://www.tribune.com.ng/23052006/letter.html
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hndholder(m): 12:32pm On Jul 19, 2006
Can the other professionals go to hell?
''Most of the professionals leaving the country would not have been absorbed into the nation’s already congested and stagnant labour market had they remained in the country. Today, in Nigeria, medical interns wait several months to get placements for housemanship and residency.'' [/color][color=#990000] www.tribune.com.ng/10052006/edit.html
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 3:08pm On Jul 19, 2006
Hnd-holder where u go since? You just abandon me. Hope all is well sha? Any way sha any body wey get HND wey wan go hell fit begin go now oo; but me i still dey here and things must change.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hndholder(m): 4:47pm On Jul 19, 2006
Thank you, I was on official trip to Eket, Oron, Ogoja then back to ibadan fulfilling my dreams of getting to all states in Nigeria meeting wealthy HND holders.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 5:03pm On Jul 19, 2006
I trust u. How was ur trip? Hope u really had a nice time with those wealthy HND guys u met there? Any news about allowing polytechnics to run MSc/MTech and Phd programs? Wish to meet with you face to face, u must be va very wonderful and interesting person.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hndholder(m): 9:08am On Jul 20, 2006
Love meeting you too.
Let us forget about Masters degree. Student enter Polytechnic with 4 credit to read a 2 Years ND, the middle level man power,Full Stop.

It is not compulsory for them to go for HND. HND is not met for academic minded people, but production/ technological.

If he like at his own risk he can apply for HND at any polytechnic not necessary his former school.

With (4credit) + (ND) + (at least 1year experience)=HND

If you now want a PROFESSIONAL master degree you now apply to any school that run such MBA ,MSc Professional

or PGD to change to academic masters.

We are just wasting energy here. What is the work of HND holder as a secondary school teacher? HND Engineering in a Bank , Why do we need masters degree. Of what use is most MASTERS
DIPLOMA is a professional certificate.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 12:54pm On Jul 20, 2006
But let polytechnics be allowed to run masters programs since HND is just an equivalent of a first degree, this will make most HND holders to still be technically good especially in the fields of science, technology and engineering. Having MTech or Msc from a polytechnic should equally qualify one to be a lecturer in the polytechnic since the person has the technical skills that need to be taught to the students. I tell you 95% of polytechnic lecturers passed thru universities and not polytechnic; this also should be looked into because they are already making polytechnic education to look like the university type because they lack the practical aspects of their professions and which the poly students need seriously.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hndholder(m): 2:50pm On Jul 20, 2006
You are right, but our best now is PHND Post Higher National Diploma.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2006
Let something be done about this, because right now if u are employed with HND to lecture in any polytechnic in nigeria they employ u as an instructor while the Bsc holder is employed as an asst. lecturer. This is part of the discrimination we are talking about. Charity they say begins at home. Why should polytechnics do such a thing to its products? After all no university will employ any HND holder as a lecturer except if he/she has a postgraduate qualification. And mind you the heads of most polytechnics in nigeria did not pass thru the polytechnic system. Bros, there should be total overhaul in the polytechnic system to bring before sanity can be attained else polytechnics and their products will continue to deteriorate because they will no longer acquire the technical skills they were established to.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Hndholder(m): 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2006
Yes agree with you. We know I can assure you that we are working on it.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by Bosy(f): 4:41pm On Jul 20, 2006
Do you all know that a foreign oil services firm in VI has HND holders in the top of affairs in the Coy, where there are Bsc holders too! And these guys are doing great job for the Coy in Logistics and Human Resources and Accounts!
Lets be objective, these guys were interviewed along side their Bsc counterparts and were seen to have proven themselves by these expats and got the job. And very recently one of the guys in thesame coy got elevated 2ce more than his Bsc colleague.
Let people prove themselves and you choose. Thats the message to employers.
Re: Should HND Holders Go To Hell? by ishmael(m): 5:19pm On Jul 20, 2006
Yes o, you people should work on it on time. What does the BEng guy know about practical engineering work that they are employing him to come and teach or lecture poly students? Its abnormal i beg. How can someone who does not know how to use a lathe machine in the workshop teach people who are supposed to be taught how to use such machines? Its not possible. Let Govt and polytechnics stop employing theoretical engineers as lecturers, we dont need their services in our polytechnics for now.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Link Between Quietness And Productivity At Work / The Reality Of Overqualification - Are People Getting Overqualified? / Cost Of Air Conditioner Installation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.