Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America (80232 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Any Questions About China, Taiwan , Hongkong Etc / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:30am On Oct 07, 2013
texanomaly:
Come to Lubbock, TX. Lubbock Independent School District is looking for IT personnel. They got a federal grant to upgrade all technology in the entire school district. Lots of technology, no one that knows what to do with it. It is also a great city for starting a business. smiley

Afam please make sure you marry before moving to that village or Kongi will kill you
Even ashawo,you won't find in that place
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 07, 2013
Originalsly: Hey!...he would get the right mix in NY! Besides being expensive....everything else would be at his fingertips. No need for car....public transportation available 24/7...meet uour people..find your foods...your place of worship..the city never sleeps. If from Lagos you will feel at home. But...if you want peace and quiet...well ehmm..it is very peaceful for a large city...but if you want quiet, and you like to take things easy...laid back...walk slow...exchange courtesies....hello how are you today and the family and bla bla bla.....and kinda nosey....scratch New York City off your list!

I agree with you
If he is a big city boy which I think he is,he will like New York just that the living space may not be pretty
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 1:52am On Oct 07, 2013
strangest: Am hoping to move soon with my fiancee to America and still needs some advice.
She is an American citizen though she's been in Nigeria for the past 30 years without a SSN. Passport has also been renewed. As a citizen, how easy will it be for her to get a loan,grant or scholarship to study nursing (or a two year course that will lead to a nursing degree). Also advise if OHIO will be convinient for her, thank you

Ohio is good.
Be warned,the snow in Ohio can be brutal in the winter time.
There is a size-able Naija community in Cleveland,Akron and Columbus
If you are Christian,there are some good Pentecostal churches in those areas too
As a citizen,she can get school loans easily even without a credit history
Obtaining an SS card is easy
You can come on a fiancé visa and once you marry and the papers are filed,you get a work permit and a temporary green card a few months later.
She can study for an associate degree in nursing instead of the BSN ( bachelors in nursing)but if she already has a degree from Naija she should explore other options.
There are some universities with nursing schools that allow people with a science degree to do a master's degree in nursing after some pre requisites ( which can be obtained at a community college).
After those requisites and you manage to secure an admission,you get an MSN ( masters in nursing) and then can take the nursing boards.

I know a young girl who studied Psychology and is on a path to do that
She finished the prerequisite courses in a community college ( took a year) and this fall started her masters in nursing which will take 18 months and she will become a nurse with masters degree.

Check out the universities and community colleges in the town in Ohio that you plan to move to
When she arrives,she can call and make an appointment to see the admission officers to ask for their admission requirements
Ask for any alternate paths or concessions for someone with a foreign degree
Sometimes the information may not be given if you don't ask for specifics.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by druid06(m): 1:57am On Oct 07, 2013
babyosisi:

Ohio is good.
Be warned,the snow in Ohio can be brutal in the winter time.
There is a size-able Naija community in Cleveland,Akron and Columbus
If you are Christian,there are some good Pentecostal churches in those areas too
As a citizen,she can get school loans easily even without a credit history
Obtaining an SS card is easy
You can come on a fiancé visa and once you marry and the papers are filed,you get a work permit and a temporary green card a few months later.
She can study for an associate degree in nursing instead of the BSN ( bachelors in nursing)but if she already has a degree from Naija she should explore other options.
There are some universities with nursing schools that allow people with a science degree to do a master's degree in nursing after some pre requisites ( which can be obtained at a community college).
After those requisites and you manage to secure an admission,you get an MSN ( masters in nursing) and then can take the nursing boards.

I know a young girl who studied Psychology and is on a path to do that
She finished the prerequisite courses in a community college ( took a year) and this fall started her masters in nursing which will take 18 months and she will become a nurse with masters degree.

Check out the universities and community colleges in the town in Ohio that you plan to move to
When she arrives,she can call and make an appointment to see the admission officers to ask for their admission requirements
Ask for any alternate paths or concessions for someone with a foreign degree
Sometimes the information may not be given if you don't ask for specifics.

Thanks for the information. That Ozo Emeka is such a kill joy and an enemy of progression. Since the U.S is too inhumane to reside there, what's he still doing there.. If he doesn't accept the situation with the U.S, like my good friends the rednecks would say. GET OUT!.

I'm currently planning to move to Canada. It's a work in progress and I still have some few years in Nigeria. I would be grateful if someone starts a thread on there too.

Great thread by the way. I love the way you flow in pidgin...

7 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by strangest(m): 1:58am On Oct 07, 2013
@babyosisi: Thanks, she doesn't have a degree yet here in Nigeria, am the only one with a bsc in biochem, though am hoping to upgrade to a second degree or masters or some professional courses... Thanks, once again

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 07, 2013
For anybody moving to America,there will be moments of stress and trepidation
Your host may be impatient and want you out sooner than you can afford to be out on your own
You need to be aware of that
There are also adjustments to make with the culture
Learning what people really mean when they say things
The best person to stay with is a blood relative,preferably a sibling
They are more likely to be patient and chauffeur yo to places without minding
Don't deceive your host
Respect their space and keep their house clean
I've heard of people telling people they are just hoping to be with them a few days and move onto somewhere else meanwhile they have no Other plans.
It is best if they know your exact plans from day one.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:07am On Oct 07, 2013
druid06:

Thanks for the information. That Ozo Emeka is such a kill joy and an enemy of progression. Since the U.S is too inhumane to reside there, what's he still doing there.. If he doesn't accept the situation with the U.S, like my good friends the rednecks would say. GET OUT!.

I'm currently planning to move to Canada. It's a work in progress and I still have some few years in Nigeria. I would be grateful if someone starts a thread on there too.

Great thread by the way. I love the way you flow in pidgin...

Thanks for the compliments
There are people of all nationalities arriving the USA daily
Mexicans are swimming across the rio grande as we speak
With the exception of native Americans which is only 1% of the population ,everyone in America including George Bush is an immigrant
Some are first generation immigrants like myself ,some are 2nd generation like my children while some are 4th 5th 6th generation immigrants.
All na immigrant

7 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:08am On Oct 07, 2013
^^^
Mzansi!!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by druid06(m): 2:10am On Oct 07, 2013
babyosisi:

Thanks for the compliments
There are people of all nationalities arriving the USA daily
Mexicans are swimming across the rio grande as we speak
With the exception of native Americans which is only 1% of the population ,everyone in America including George Bush is an immigrant
Some are first generation immigrants like myself ,some are 2nd generation like my children while some are 4th 5th 6th generation immigrants.
All na immigrant

I dey tell you. All na immigrant...lol..
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:11am On Oct 07, 2013
strangest: @babyosisi: Thanks, she doesn't have a degree yet here in Nigeria, am the only one with a bsc in biochem, though am hoping to upgrade to a second degree or masters or some professional courses... Thanks, once again

Then let her bring official copies of her Waec results and get into a community college
If she doesn't have her WAEC papers,she can start by doing a GED ( like GCE) and get a high school equivalent.
That will be my advise
She can do an LPN first ( licensed practical nursing)
Then while she works,she can then continue taking classes to upgrade to registered nursing.
A trip to a community college admission 's office will tell her all she needs to know regarding her preferred course of study

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:27am On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
From what i've read and heard about the place, i'm not really a fan. Do you know that blacks account for over 60% in that city? I want a city with the right mix.

I want to correct a notion here Afam
The problem is not the population of blacks there but the type of blacks
We are currently house hunting and all the houses that had black neighbors scored highly on my list because they had to have good jobs to live in the neighborhoods we were looking at
I am not afraid to live with fellow black people around me if they are in the same income bracket as myself.
They would be professionals just like us.
There are neighborhoods in atlanta area with almost everyone black
I have visited some
But these are areas where the average family income is 100k plus so they will be good.

Rule of thumb to know if your neighborhood is good or not
Check the school ratings
The good neigborhoods have the schools with the highest ratings and highest test scores
That is what also keeps the property value high

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 2:40am On Oct 07, 2013
@ strangest can your fiancée braid hair
That is a good skill to have .let her go and learn it and perfect it if she can
Braids,weave ,twists,etc
If she can sew and tie gele also,she will make money.
It is a good way to make money while she is in school
One small Bini girl charged me $90 just yesterday to braid my daughter's hair
Right in her house o
I gave asho ebi to a Naija tailor yesterday,skirt and blouse and she is charging me $100

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by strangest(m): 3:14am On Oct 07, 2013
[/quote][quote author=babyosisi]@ strangest can your fiancée braid hair
That is a good skill to have .let her go and learn it and perfect it if she can
Braids,weave ,twists,etc
If she can sew and tie gele also,she will make money.
It is a good way to make money while she is in school
One small Bini girl charged me $90 just yesterday to braid my daughter's hair
Right in her house o
I gave asho ebi to a Naija tailor yesterday,skirt and blouse and she is charging me $100
Lol... Yeah, she's good with braids,weave and gele ... She's currently learning how to drive a car... Thanks for the advise, I do appreciate smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 3:53am On Oct 07, 2013
Hi babyosisi, I love and admire your courage, wisdom , intelligence and most importantly selflessness. God will richly reward your kindness and sincerity in helping your fellow country men and women against all odds. Having said that, I wish to advise that you interact with the average nairalander on a face level, because the truth of the matter is that there's no age/ reasoning bracket for registering new members, as such both infants, teenagers and the likes are free to make comments and possibly insult you if your not careful enough to avoid them. God will help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 4:10am On Oct 07, 2013
Having stated the obvious above, I wish to solicit your help/response to the following: my wife and I are professionals residing and working here in nigeria. I am a practising Architect by profession, while my wife is a medical doctor. We are what you can call a young and relatively comfortable nigerian couple and we are presently exploring our options, part of which is migration to the states of canada. I am looking forward to doing my Phd over there while working on part time, in the same vein, my wife will be furthering her medical residency programme while working too. Now I need your clearification and advise in the following area(s); what's your take on the whole idea of migrating?, what are our like options to facilitate the migration?, what are the challenges/constraints for a couple with our portfolio?, how soon and how well can we settle if we migrate in view of green cards, work permit, the f1s and f4s and so on? What is the demand and remuneration for a construction and medical professional over there? Just any other advise you deem fit that will be of benefit both to us and to other aspiring fellow country men. Thanks in advance. God bless.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by fratochi: 4:14am On Oct 07, 2013
Please I mean "..to the states or canada" not "of canada" thanks again.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by MsNas(f): 6:16am On Oct 07, 2013
ozo_emeka: Don't listen to false crap. Julliard is a TOP NOTCH school for the Arts. Oh BTW they support Nigerians as well . SO THIS IS A "WORKABLE" (is that a word?) advice to give. If you train at Julliard, you are considered the BEST.

http://www.juilliard.edu/about/newsroom/2013-14/juilliard-2013-summer-grants-awarded-six-student-projects-united-states-and?destination=node/30216

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Juilliard_School_people#Notable_alumni

Looolll grin This boy is a nutcase! Julliard?! Really? cheesy cheesy good luck getting him into Julliard or any of them above mentioned schools without an audition...PHYSICAL AUDITION. Go on youtube and see the crowd that thronge the auditions and see how many they choose? Less than 80 for a whole session. Ode, information is free on the Internet. Use it wink

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 6:33am On Oct 07, 2013
^^
Julliard ko, Harvard ni cheesy
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by MsNas(f): 6:38am On Oct 07, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
Julliard ko, Harvard ni cheesy
grin grin I taya for the clown oo
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lymelyte(m): 9:12am On Oct 07, 2013
fratochi: Having stated the obvious above, I wish to solicit your help/response to the following: my wife and I are professionals residing and working here in nigeria. I am a practising Architect by profession, while my wife is a medical doctor. We are what you can call a young and relatively comfortable nigerian couple and we are presently exploring our options, part of which is migration to the states of canada. I am looking forward to doing my Phd over there while working on part time, in the same vein, my wife will be furthering her medical residency programme while working too. Now I need your clearification and advise in the following area(s); what's your take on the whole idea of migrating?, what are our like options to facilitate the migration?, what are the challenges/constraints for a couple with our portfolio?, how soon and how well can we settle if we migrate in view of green cards, work permit, the f1s and f4s and so on? What is the demand and remuneration for a construction and medical professional over there? Just any other advise you deem fit that will be of benefit both to us and to other aspiring fellow country men. Thanks in advance. God bless.
Kindly visit "www.cic.gc.ca" Canadian government are currently looking for skilled.semi skilled workers.JUst check it out.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by marvelling(m): 9:20am On Oct 07, 2013
lymelyte:
Kindly visit "www.cic.gc.ca" Canadian government are currently looking for skilled.semi skilled workers.JUst check it out.

Na error message I dey get o!
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On Oct 07, 2013
babyosisi:

I want to correct a notion here Afam
The problem is not the population of blacks there but the type of blacks
We are currently house hunting and all the houses that had black neighbors scored highly on my list because they had to have good jobs to live in the neighborhoods we were looking at
I am not afraid to live with fellow black people around me if they are in the same income bracket as myself.
They would be professionals just like us.
There are neighborhoods in atlanta area with almost everyone black
I have visited some
But these are areas where the average family income is 100k plus so they will be good.

Rule of thumb to know if your neighborhood is good or not
Check the school ratings
The good neigborhoods have the schools with the highest ratings and highest test scores
That is what also keeps the property value high
You're right about the quality of blacks. I've heard and read that a lot of the blacks in Atlanta unlike some of their folks in places like Baltimore and Detroit and Rich and educated. From what i learned, Atlanta probably is the most progressive black city in America.

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:04am On Oct 07, 2013
texanomaly:
Come to Lubbock, TX. Lubbock Independent School District is looking for IT personnel. They got a federal grant to upgrade all technology in the entire school district. Lots of technology, no one that knows what to do with it. It is also a great city for starting a business. smiley
Which big city is close to Lubbock. I'm very particular about big cities.
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 10:09am On Oct 07, 2013
babyosisi:

Afam please make sure you marry before moving to that village or Kongi will kill you
Even ashawo,you won't find in that place
Lmao grin grin grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lacreame: 10:10am On Oct 07, 2013
@ ozo emeka
you are just too negative , why?
u had better change

3 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by lymelyte(m): 10:17am On Oct 07, 2013
marvelling:

Na error message I dey get o!
Ok click and peruse the site.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by skoloppy31(m): 10:30am On Oct 07, 2013
@babyosis
am a 300level university graduate down here in naija, I have this dream of coming to the states after the completion of my 1st degree for a masters programme.all this visa denials I do hear about is even making me nervous and fidgets sometimes.
as a huzzler I mean a street boy thats fends for himself which state will you suggest for me, I have a close pal in maryland Washington dc..
my concern now is all this do cument they asked for at the embassy, like that of account wil be the major problem.
if there is anyway I can go about it without any shady steps
am studying Transport management. . logistics and road to be precise. .
Thanks in anticipation

1 Like

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 11:00am On Oct 07, 2013
skoloppy31: @babyosis
am a 300level university graduate down here in naija, I have this dream of coming to the states after the completion of my 1st degree for a masters programme.all this visa denials I do hear about is even making me nervous and fidgets sometimes.
as a huzzler I mean a street boy thats fends for himself which state will you suggest for me, I have a close pal in maryland Washington dc..
my concern now is all this do cument they asked for at the embassy, like that of account wil be the major problem.
Thanks in anticipation
Getting an f1 visa is very easy as long as you have your documents complete. I have helped people process there admission before. The very important thing would be your financial statement. One way not to refused is if the financial statement is yours or belongs to someone with the same surname as you. The embassy wants to be sure of your financial capability before giving you a VISA.

2 Likes

Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Lilimax(f): 11:07am On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
I intend starting my own IT firm but first, it won't be a bad idea to work for some company for some time. I'm leaving Nigeria to put mind and sould together and then return much later. If i remain in Nigeria, i might join Ogboni. My head wan scatter for here.
lol @ bolded grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Nobody: 11:07am On Oct 07, 2013
skoloppy31: @babyosis
Thanks in anticipation

Huh?
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by Afam4eva(m): 11:09am On Oct 07, 2013
Phema:

Huh?
Maryland and DC usually goes hand in hand. he doesn't mean that MD is in DC grin
Re: Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America by xp17(m): 11:09am On Oct 07, 2013
Afam4eva:
Getting an f1 visa is very easy as long as you have your documents complete. I have helped people process there admission before. The very important thing would be your financial statement. One way not to refused is if the financial statement is yours or belongs to someone with the same surname as you. The embassy wants to be sure of your financial capability before giving you a VISA.
btw, I heard its more easier to make heaven than getting d F1 visa. grin grin

Guy talk 2 ur co-mod "uncu skill" mk him disband this account on politics section.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Sad Truths About Living Abroad / My Visit To Oron Crayfish Market Akwa Ibom State / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.