Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,277 members, 7,807,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN (6251 Views)

Sort Codes For Nigerian Banks / List Of Microfinance Banks That Give Loans. / The 25 Banks That Achieved The Recapitalization Requirement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by JJay1(m): 4:11pm On Jul 03, 2008
If you cant dream big, allow those who can.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2008
I think damola shares my view,can anybody mention ONE(1) - yes, just 1, Zenith Bank consumer product?

These guys essentially take advantage of greedy govt officials declare fantastic profits while d whole country's going down.

I can't blame them of course,but we must start thinking deeply,there's something definitly wrong somewhere !
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by damola1: 11:18pm On Jul 03, 2008
Who says you shouldn't dream,  but stop dreaming like hiltler!,  they are killing us!

if you reside in Nigeria, look around you,  see the effects!! of their "dreams",  the poverty is very evident.

In fact, I ask again, why do they need to open a branch in ghana, or the UK?, 

We need this money, or you no like good thing?, if this country is better and we have the basic good things of life, constant electricity, good roads, cheap and affordable water, that dream they wish to go to ghana or UK to achieve, all those investors they want, will come begging.

Are you telling me, these banks cannot delete electricity problem?

OK, typical case scenario, why does Zenith need to go start visafone, why not create a new NEPA!!!, or a NEW  refinery!!!, 

This country is run by you and I. Look at this simple story line; as far back as '76 when OBJ had power, we have been complaining about our economy, at this time Bello Osagie, UBA big boy only received a bachelor's degree from cambridge, which means, he might have began feeling a soft hardship of what we are feeling now, and continue doing so, same thing with Jim Ovia, he only got a BSC in 77, now, what does this say?,  it means they once felt a part of how we feel, and they worked out something which landed them in banking, the then critical question is, IS THIS HOW WE WILL WORK OUT SOMETHING IN 10-20yrs time? and forget abt Nigeria?, and how will our work affect our developing our economy?, as meagre as what this mega financial institutions,  IF so, when will Nigeria begin to develop?

Obvsiouly, we all know people in power will continue to put their families and friends there, so, that one is a hard nut to crack, saraki will put his son, and his daugher, and so will OBJ, it's only natural for the greed to pass on, however, the non-goverment sector, which we dream of,  what'll be the effect on Nigeria as a whole?,

kai!!!!,  anyhow sha,  nothin dey happen.

@ Jairzinho, I thank you for creating this thread!
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Epiphany(m): 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2008
With the growth of business and 'opportunities' that the nigerian sector MAY see in future, they are just positioning themselves to reap more benefits. Looking at the position Nigeria occupies in the West Africa sector, the need for foreign companies to use local banks is what is making our local guys beat their drums on CNN. I mean, look at the number of 'young' Multinationals in Nigeria - Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, IBM, HP etc. Very soon, you will start hearing of Google and others. These are of course, excluding the 'older' multinationals like Shell, Chevron, Mobil etc etc.

Having said all that, i have carried out extensive research and projects on Business Ethics and CSR. Our Banks are not doing much in that area. Yes, i know that they donate to schools, give scholarships etc etc, but these are not what social responsibility entails. These are just donations that aim to give these banks a sense of 'having done something'. CSR is meant to lay a good foundation and/or framework that will ensure continuity and determination in the way lives and the social sector grow. Banks are not sponsoring meaningful projects or causes. They are mainly in operation to enrich their owners and shareholders and not to empower the stakeholders.

In essence, i think the banks should do more at home first, before advertising themselves to the world. Imagine the average foreigner seeing those adverts on their screens. Their first impression is to wonder what those 'Nigerians' are up to again!
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Epiphany(m): 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2008
damola1:

Who says you shouldn't dream, but stop dreaming like hiltler!, they are killing us!

if you reside in Nigeria, look around you, see the effects!! of their "dreams", the poverty is very evident.

We need this money, or you no like good thing?, if this country is better and we have the basic good things of life, constant electricity, good roads, cheap and affordable water, that dream they wish to go to ghana or UK to achieve, all those investors they want, will come begging.

OK, typical case scenario, why does Zenith need to go start visafone, why not create a new NEPA!!!, or a NEW refinery!!!,

This country is run by you and I. Look at this simple story line; as far back as '76 when OBJ had power, we have been complaining about our economy, at this time Bello Osagie, UBA big boy only received a bachelor's degree from cambridge, which means, he might have began feeling a soft hardship of what we are feeling now, and continue doing so, same thing with Jim Ovia, he only got a BSC in 77, now, what does this say?, it means they once felt a part of how we feel, and they worked out something which landed them in banking, the then critical question is, IS THIS HOW WE WILL WORK OUT SOMETHING IN 10-20yrs time? and forget about Nigeria?, and how will our work affect our developing our economy?, as meagre as what this mega financial institutions, IF so, when will Nigeria begin to develop?

Obvsiouly, we all know people in power will continue to put their families and friends there, so, that one is a hard nut to crack, saraki will put his son, and his daugher, and so will OBJ, it's only natural for the greed to pass on, however, the non-goverment sector, which we dream of, what'll be the effect on Nigeria as a whole?,

kai!!!!, anyhow sha, nothin dey happen.

Sorry, i would love to comment on this thread. I AGREE TOTALLY. With the situation going on in Nigeria, i believe that if HALF OF ALL THE BANKS IN NIGERIA come together, they can tackle this electricity problem, and tell the governement to go to hell. Then, people will begin to derive the benefits of having these banks around. I can only remember how Ajose Adeogun street on V/I used to look, yet, Zenith owns almost all the buildings on the street (a little exageration, i know). It took them so many years to wake up and tar that street, and yet they were making so much money off the nigerians and the economy. What are all the other banks doing with their money? Sponsoring politicians? They should build refineries, power stations, etc
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by olofofo(m): 8:29pm On Jul 04, 2008
I have listened to all contributions and it seems to reflect the state of our nation, in spite of all the rot, with the kind of minds Nigerians have, it is only a question of time before things get better for Nigerians, with or without banks and goverments. anyway, since when has the bank ever giving a hoot about the average Nigerian, not with interest rate arround 20-25%.

one fact you guys fail to mention is that these bank are doing more than advertise on cnn. they are sponsoring programmes, INSIDE AFRICA etc and putting plenty money in AOL TIME WARNERS account. for as long as out leaders fail to realize that the trick to helping this country is right here in nigeria through serious tech transfer. we will not go anywhere. there's som much to be done here yet goverment is importing rice, advetising on cnn and going to germany for health care, i beg Niger dey turn my Bele.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by cecegorz(m): 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2008
@poster
Its called SEEING DA BIG PICTURE. In 2day's world, if u can't play globally, u're not a player. U got it?
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by illusion2: 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2008
cecegorz:

@poster
Its called SEEING DA BIG PICTURE. In 2day's world, if u can't play globally, u're not a player. You got it?

Wrong,its called THINk GLOBAL AND ACT LOCAL !
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by uchetobi(f): 11:08am On Jul 08, 2008
Epiphany:

Sorry, i would love to comment on this thread. I AGREE TOTALLY. With the situation going on in Nigeria, i believe that if HALF OF ALL THE BANKS IN NIGERIA come together, they can tackle this electricity problem, and tell the governement to go to hell. Then, people will begin to derive the benefits of having these banks around. I can only remember how Ajose Adeogun street on V/I used to look, yet, Zenith owns almost all the buildings on the street (a little exageration, i know). It took them so many years to wake up and tar that street, and yet they were making so much money off the nigerians and the economy. What are all the other banks doing with their money? Sponsoring politicians? They should build refineries, power stations, etc

damola1:

Who says you shouldn't dream, but stop dreaming like hiltler!, they are killing us!

if you reside in Nigeria, look around you, see the effects!! of their "dreams", the poverty is very evident.

OK, typical case scenario, why does Zenith need to go start visafone, why not create a new NEPA!!!, or a NEW refinery!!!,

This country is run by you and I. Look at this simple story line; as far back as '76 when OBJ had power, we have been complaining about our economy, at this time Bello Osagie, UBA big boy only received a bachelor's degree from cambridge, which means, he might have began feeling a soft hardship of what we are feeling now, and continue doing so, same thing with Jim Ovia, he only got a BSC in 77, now, what does this say?, it means they once felt a part of how we feel, and they worked out something which landed them in banking, the then critical question is, IS THIS HOW WE WILL WORK OUT SOMETHING IN 10-20yrs time? and forget about Nigeria?, and how will our work affect our developing our economy?, as meagre as what this mega financial institutions, IF so, when will Nigeria begin to develop?

Obvsiouly, we all know people in power will continue to put their families and friends there, so, that one is a hard nut to crack, saraki will put his son, and his daugher, and so will OBJ, it's only natural for the greed to pass on, however, the non-goverment sector, which we dream of, what'll be the effect on Nigeria as a whole?,

kai!!!!, anyhow sha, nothin dey happen.

Sad that people think like this
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Aproko(f): 12:36pm On Jul 08, 2008
i see HSBC, Credit Suisse and other banks advertising on CNN, does it mean they are stupid? so why would a Nigerian bank advertising on CNN mean something other than what it was intended to be? i.e an advert? the aim of advertising is to create awareness, and really you can choose to advertise in anyway or anywhere as long as its not offensive!

besides, i wonder why people are really attacking the banks!! if you go thru the job section, most of the adverts or comments are about one bank or the other recruiting. how many threads start with "thank God I got a job with Shell" or "Elf" or "Cadbury" to mention a few!!!so whether we like it or not, the banks are instrumental in providing job opprtunities. that is one plus

Ajose Adeogun street was paved by Zenith Bank.Fidelity Bank, ETB plants flowers and beutifies the environment!! how many are done by the oil or telecoms or manufacturing sector? the banks are there to make profit, like any other private sector organisation so please have mercy!!!

my 2 cents
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 7:53pm On Jul 08, 2008
Cool.
The question is can they do more.

Im still waiting for someone to mention one Zenith bank Consumer product !

How can a bank declare N7b(thats 7000 X 1,000,000 bucks) in 3 months & the whole country's still in a mess? Yes that capitalism my dear,but we need to start asking questions,just like the american's are asking ;how the oil companies are declaring outrageous profits & the averag family's suffering.

Pls lets start asking questions,espcially any Zenith bank staff should pls help us.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by agboifo(f): 8:43am On Jul 09, 2008
These Nigerian banks may not actually be advertising on CNN, but rather on DSTV who slots in the ads during CNN's commercial breaks.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Pennywise(m): 8:53am On Jul 09, 2008
agboifo:

These Nigerian banks may not actually be advertising on CNN, but rather on DSTV who slots in the ads during CNN's commercial breaks.

Zenith bank sponsor's CNN Africa.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by agboifo(f): 11:32am On Jul 09, 2008
Ok, thanks.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by ahwuyen(m): 1:25pm On Jul 09, 2008
pennywise
do u have an idea of the annual pay of ETB
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Pennywise(m): 1:37pm On Jul 09, 2008
ahwuyen:

pennywise
do u have an idea of the annual pay of ETB

I have no clue. But no doubt it must be quite good.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by evolux(m): 7:34am On Jul 10, 2008
i agree the way these banks spend their money is entirely their biz.
But what has intercontinental bank got to do with beijing olympics games.
What i don't know is ?
is featuring the 2008 olympics in their ads on cnn helping nigeria or china?
how is this going to booster their corporate image
This is sheer waste of funds that should have been used in upgrading
"networks" that is failing in the banks everyday.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 12:10am On Jul 11, 2008
evolux:

i agree the way these banks spend their money is entirely their biz.
But what has intercontinental bank got to do with beijing olympics games.
What i don't know is ?
is featuring the 2008 olympics in their ads on cnn helping nigeria or china?
how is this going to booster their corporate image
This is sheer waste of funds that should have been used in upgrading
"networks" that is failing in the banks everyday.

Thank you o !
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 3:14pm On Jul 11, 2008
Ecobank has joined them on CNN,though they seem to have their pririties right.

What I suspect this bank guys are doing is to put themselves in the front burner for possible acquisition by foreign banks?
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Aproko(f): 3:37pm On Jul 14, 2008
@ Jairzinho,

Zenith bank actually has lifestlye financing, besides their usual current/savings/children savings.the issue is that they dont advertise them. i imagine its because of their target market. their focus is on mega transactions and they have relegated retail banking to the background.

to be fair to zenith bank, they try their best when it comes to service delivery, and contrary to what people say, their charges are no different from what other banks charge.

truth is the banking sector in Nigeria is just getting on their feet, with time things will improve and all our concerns would be a thing of the past.

my 2 cents!!!
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 5:55pm On Jul 14, 2008
Aproko:

@ Jairzinho,

Zenith bank actually has lifestlye financing, besides their usual current/savings/children savings.the issue is that they don't advertise them. i imagine its because of their target market. their focus is on mega transactions and they have relegated retail banking to  the background.

my 2 cents!!!

In fact your 2 cents pass $10 !!!

As per Zenith I only have one thing to say - Charity, we are told begins . . . . . . . .  . sad
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by jmslimx(m): 11:13pm On Jul 14, 2008
To me is crap, Impressing other nations while the basic home work has not being done yet, can a poor man open an account with zenith bank?

Absa in south africa is an example of what our banks should be doing.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 11:15pm On Jul 14, 2008
Thank you
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by hubreality(m): 11:55am On Jul 28, 2008
You're right in your analysis. I was encouraged seeing the ad of Zenith Bank Plc on CNN. Thats a good start, well the banks have started doing something, Kudos to the CBN governor and the rest of Nigerians who believe in God for a change. I thank God for the Bank and Entertainment industries respectively as they have taken a new positive drive. It's spreading to other sectors like information technolgy. Things will surely get better in Jesus Name, Amen. I see a new Nigeria with laughter in our mouths.
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by naijacutee(f): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2008
As far as I know, Corporate Social Responsibility is not by force. No organization is required by law to put into consideration the indigenes of where their businesses happen to be located. These are ruthless business people who are trying to create a global brand name for themselves, and maximise their profits in the long run. They don't care about Social Responsibility. Saying that however, lets not throw away the baby with the bath water. I have seen many bank adverts where loans and grants are being offered to fund childrens education abroad. Yes, it is still another way for them to make money but surely, they are making the money whilst trying to benefit the people as well - No? 
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 7:43am On Aug 16, 2008
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Jairzinho(m): 6:16pm On Sep 06, 2008
Really sad
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by illusion2: 7:13pm On Jan 03, 2009
I noticed Zenith bank have made a concious effort to show their M.D-Jim in the newspapers throughout last week,following reports he had been arrested by the EFCC. Nice move !
Re: Nigerian Banks That Advertise On CNN by Ovamboland(m): 3:17pm On Nov 10, 2016
The consolidation by Soludo put lots of cash in the hands of Bank CEO's and like lottery winners, they went on spending binge acquiring private jets, adverts on CNN which even far bigger banks in South Africa don't do. And what is the results? Many of the banks are dead, after wasting shareholders funds on grandiose projects with little impact on their operating capability or environment.

Many saying it's their money and are free to spend as they deem fit betray a crass value system common to Nigerians. That's why a lot of con artist have field day in finance, religion, government, education and almost all sectors in Nigeria. Ethics and norms are easily waved aside by us , we then express surprise things are going south.

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG Spends N5 Billion On 'Made In China' Buses, Ignores Local Auto Makers / Breaking: Fire Destroys Wadata Market Makurdi / The Latest Review Of Fintoch Defi Lending | Is Fintoch Legit Or A Scam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.