Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? (19208 Views)

To Unemployed Graduates; What are You doing to Change Your Situation? / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. / Getting Jobs With Ease. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 5:50am On Oct 05, 2013
Our experience getting jobs!!!

A telephone conversation between a NAUG official and Tolulope am a graduate of Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi Benue state. He says I have always lived in benue state in the North central part of Nigeria. As a kid I used to rear goats and sheep in grandmothers compound and always had interest in Agriculture. My grandmother died after I finished my youth service so I had to move to Osun state to live with my father. Because I was new to the environment and my father wasn't as young as he use to be and depended on me so much for his livelihood, no land to start farming and no money to dabble into something else I decided to apply for a job at FARM SUPPORT a big farm in osun state not far from the well know private school Bowen University in iwo. After applying we were called for an interview on getting there I saw big cars, trailers of all sorts and big poultry,hatchery and all sorts...I was happy at first till I started seeing the faces of the workers, screwed up as if they just got into a fight

Most were working hard,the place was quiet and all you could hear was sounds from the poultry. Trailers were moving out with loads of eggs and activity was at top gear. The interview started in no time and I was the 3th to be attended to I noticed the two other guys after the interview had terrible smiles on their faces. I entered and the interview started, in the pannel where 2 indias (or those dudes from the middle east) who could barely speak a sentence correctly In English. I managed to strain my ears to hear what they had to offer.

All the questions I was asked was contrary to anything pertaining to my CV(its was even the nigerian in the pannel that made things worse)
Here are the following questions

1)What experience do you have in poultry keeping and how many years
2)Can you drive heavy vehicles, can you drive long distance and do you have a licence
3)Will you accept an offer of 30 thousand naira per month
4)We are going to give you free accomodation a walkable distance from the farm and are you willing to work on saturdays
5)If after accepting the job you decide to leave you must give us at least 2month notice
6)Since you don't have any experience and you might decide to run away after training would you be willing to pay for the training

Funny people! Funny ideas all because our system aint working for us

NB- this thread is for NAUG supporters only and anyone that has the heart of kicking against on employment in Nigeria

Share your views and experience on job hunting in Nigeria so NAUG can know where to come in and take over

Unemployment and Underemployment must stop

Join us www.facebook.com/naugnigeria
Register with us www.naug.tk
Follow us on twitter @naijagraduates
Ehis Abuya
National coordinator.

7 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by pendusky(m): 5:59am On Oct 05, 2013
interesting!!!

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Yusphull(m): 7:15am On Oct 05, 2013
Hmmmmm his own experience was even better compared to mine...

I submitted an application in a school in Niger state and because the school was a new school and science oriented I was 50% sure that I will be considered for the job.. After 2 weeks I was called for an interview and I was told I will be handling 5 courses namely Chemistry which was my disciplined, Physics, Integrated Science, Biology and Mathematics; after hearing that I very was happy, like the salary will be very robust considering the number of the courses I will be taking and to my own dismay I was told I will be paid ?? Hmmmmmmm

6 thousand naira per month...... I wan swear for the man but I just control my temper and told him I would think about it..... That's my own ordeal Oooo

This issue of unemployment and the agony we pass through seeking for jobs is becoming unbearable and our government are not ready to listen to our cry, they turn deaf ears to us..

Are we going to be like this forever
Are we not going to voice out our displeasure

The only platform with which we can shout and echoed our voice into their hearing is through this association and we can only achieve this feat if we are united, cooperative and gutsy coz "two heads are better than one" that's why we need dedicated members, great thinkers, activist and a good business analyst in our midst so that we can reason and brainstorm together on how to tackle this rut that has eaten deep into us and proffer a lasting solution to it ....

And I believe what we embark on is achievable if we also have the same believe coz "Nothing can stop a determined man even if you throw a stumbling block on his way he will take it as a stepping stone"

#peace#

8 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 7:57am On Oct 05, 2013
After my service in Abuja I tried so hard to get a job after several applications,I finally got a contract job at the Ministry of Agriculture and rural development in wuse zone 5 in abuja that shares a fence with the PDP secretariat. We were employed to register Nigerian Farmers so they would be eligible to get fertiliser at a subsidised rate. When we started they were paying us per data entry a sum of 80 naira. So we can work for how long we can and at least get something tangible for the effort
After a weeks the minister for Agric. Dr. Adewumni Adesina came and promised that those people working as contract staffs that would be absorbed as permanent staffs after the exercise.
On the day of his visit was when we noticed that the money been paid to us has been reduced from how much it was to be paid originally.
That day they served us snacks,a bottle of malt or lacacera and a bottle of water each...this continued for a while and stopped again.
Later the 80 naira been paid per data was reduced till it ended with 10 naira.
These are the kind of treatment we get in Nigeria
These are all inhumane ,unethical and barbaric
We have to put a stop to this!!

3 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by wexcko(m): 12:26pm On Oct 05, 2013
We have to put stop to this....and together we can....join us now and see how far we can go...U̶̲̥̅ come ,I come together we are there
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
Fully in. Brb!
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by realteflon(m): 9:16pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ehix, my candid advice which I believe I speak for so many unemployed male and female here and out there. Forget about registration. Concentrate more on mobilising more underemployed and unemployed to meet for again for a list of way forward and the following week announce a mass protest in at least five states of the country and see d massive turn out of people. That is what we all need so our voice could be heard. You and I won't be unemployed forever so don't be keen on registration

The Niger Delta militant made their voice heard by bombing oil and gas facilities & kidnapping foreign expatriate, what did govt do when they saw their voice became loudest? The govt responded. Also boko boys started, what did he govt do? They offer them so called amnesty which they rejected and same govt even went all the way to set up a committee because why again? Their voice also became loudest.

Now am not saying underemployed and unemployed graduate destroy oil facility or kill like boko boy for our voice to be heard the loudest, no, we are all far to educated for that. We have the greatest weapon which they dont have, which is a CONTINUED mass protest with good diplomacy till the unemployed graduate hold the country to a whole stand still.

It is you and I right to be employed or benefit something from the system of governance because you and I surrendered our sovereignty to be ruled by those in govt. If the govt of their days hadn't provided jobs and enabling environment for them they all won't be where they all are today.

Ehix these is what all graduate unemployed and underemployed need. We are all ready for a protest. The time is NOW

23 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 10:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
Following....mine coming up very soon!

Nice job brother.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ayobase(m): 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
real-teflon:
Ehix, my candid advice which I believe I speak for so many unemployed male and female here and out there. Forget about registration. Concentrate more on mobilising more underemployed and unemployed to meet for again for a list of way forward and the following week announce a mass protest in at least five states of the country and see d massive turn out of people. That is what we all need so our voice could be heard. You and I won't be unemployed forever so don't be keen on registration

The Niger Delta militant made their voice heard by bombing oil and gas facilities & kidnapping foreign expatriate, what did govt do when they saw their voice became loudest? The govt responded. Also boko boys started, what did he govt do? They offer them so called amnesty which they rejected and same govt even went all the way to set up a committee because why again? Their voice also became loudest.

Now am not saying underemployed and unemployed graduate destroy oil facility or kill like boko boy for our voice to be heard the loudest, no, we are all far to educated for that. We have the greatest weapon which they dont have, which is a CONTINUED mass protest with good diplomacy till the unemployed graduate hold the country to a whole stand still.

It is you and I right to be employed or benefit something from the system of governance because you and I surrendered our sovereignty to be ruled by those in govt. If the govt of their days hadn't provided jobs and enabling environment for them they all won't be where they all are today.

Ehix these is what all graduate unemployed and underemployed need. We are all ready for a protest. The time is NOW

U said it all brother.
Holding the Country to a stand still for days if possible, thereby affecting productivity just as OCCUPY agsinst fuel subsidy!

We need mass protest to voice out our displeasures with practical and personal testimonies!

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by ehixking(m): 8:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
ayobase:

U said it all brother.
Holding the Country to a stand still for days if possible, thereby affecting productivity just as OCCUPY agsinst fuel subsidy!

We need mass protest to voice out our displeasures with practical and personal testimonies!

Niger Delta militant
boko boys
All the names you mentioned are very different from us they are all set of violent bodies or movement and like you also agreed to the fact that we have another weapon at our disposal which is a CONTINUED mass protest with good diplomacy(well that very correct in a way)
We are graduates and some of us read
conflict resolution
Peace and conflict
Disarmament
Education
Coupled with the fact that the Nigerians government don't understand the meaning of peaceful protest once they see the crowd they become scared we want to overtake power
They start using our so called friends the POLICE and the military against us- don't forget their children are abroad. Remember those guys that died at the subsidy protest, their parents wept for nothing,and the whole thing ended just like that!
We saw the, light up Naija group,the save Nigeria groups protest where wole shoyinka,femi fallana,tunde bakare, Mallam Farouk Adamu, Mr. Solomon Asemota (SAN), Mallam Uba Sani, Mr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), Hajiya Najatu Mohammed, Prof. Pat Utomi, Pastor Sarah Omakwu, Mr. Femi Falana, Mr. Olawale Oshun, Dr. Tunji Abayomi, Mrs. Ayo Obe, Mallam Naseer Kura, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, Mr. Uche Onyeogocha, and Mr. Clement Nwankwo all protested and nothing happened.
Even when we decided to have the first meeting in Lagos people spoke better than you just did,people talked heaven and earth but just 59 people were present some even left before it all started. So this is the first step we have to confront the government in a way that shows a positive move let us create employment for some,let's catch those selling jobs,let's go to those companies exploiting us and using us for hard labour first , let's partner with international organisation with same motives to partner with them for industrialisation.
Believe we can't do this without even the government on our side...that is when if they don't wanna listen with all the effort we would end it your way!
Stage protest the first day in all state and the next day the whole crew would move to Abuja let's see what happens then!!

5 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by iamswizz(m): 9:02pm On Oct 07, 2013
To all those Sec.sch students or undergraduates... Pls go and acquire a skill ooo...

Dont say you werent warned by Iamswizz oo

7 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by sewen2000(m): 9:03pm On Oct 07, 2013
ok
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 07, 2013
It's been four months since I finished my NYSC

Getting a job hasn't been easy. Still in the job market.
But I'll soon overcome

5 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 07, 2013
HI EVERYONE!
IF I MAY ASK?
HAVE U EVER THOUGHT ABOUT OWNING YOUR OWN BUSINESS & BE THE BOSS OF YOURSELF?
IF I COULD GIVE U MORE DETAILS ABOUT A HOME-BASED BUSINESS...
WOULD IT BE YOUR BEST INTEREST TO LEARN MORE..?
CALL 08031810698:
STAY BLESS!
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by oc2fish: 9:10pm On Oct 07, 2013
Please take heart, with M.Sc and advance PhD in view I worked for the biggest fish farm in Nigeria with a salary of 17k with only Sunday or Saturday off as the case maybe. For a year I was a casual, so they will not pay me the 3k lunch money. GOD HELP US.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Morgan1092(m): 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
Singing 'Omoh e no easy eeeh! ohohohohooo' #in psquare's voice #
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by steveec122(m): 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
Well, visit here later for production, Service business and Skills you can learn and make Money. All the job you are looking for is all about Money. You do not have to waste a whole month on a Job that brings less than 50k in ur pocket.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 07, 2013
Hmm God help us.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by demmy55(m): 9:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
So we are not only to have working experience but also job searching experience.

Well, it hasn't been easy getting an offer with my naked B.Sc. Na Masters sure pass now o!
If no show, then serious business tinz cool.

Be right back, make I upload this attachment finish to hr.recruit.accessbank@dangoteflourmills.net

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by AyodejiCharles(m): 9:20pm On Oct 07, 2013
Honestly, I am not totally in support of Graduates looking for non existent jobs. Even the population of youths in Nigeria alone is enough to know that the job availability to Job seekers ratio is just unimaginable .
Honestly entrepreneurship is the way out. I finished my youth service last year March and after attending a Flour Mills Job test in Ikeja, the population of Youths who thronged the venue that day discouraged me from applying for any other job. I built up my web design, and internet business knowledge due to the passion I had for Entrepreneurship .
Also during my NYSC In the North, I attended the War Against Poverty NYSC agric business Training where we were given between 150,000 to 250,000 naira To start up the various Agro Business we were taught in the training. Co-Incidentally just this afternoon, I met a colleague of mine who graduated with me and also attended the War against poverty NYSC agric business training. His testimony really amazed me. He said that he acquired other necessary entrepreneurship skills in addition to the training we were taught during service. He also invested In even other Agric businesses we were not taught, and also manages his sister's herbal health product . This same guy finally concluded our brief chat with the news that his new car is currently with the Car wash guys .
If all youths can just think deep inside themselves and think big to achieve the meditation of their hearts, I believe that we will simply forget about the government jobs that don't exist anymore and be productive to the economy thereby becoming employers of labor.
Finally, I also remember when I was in 400 level of the university, one of my age mates in secondary school was nominated for the Future Awards at the age of 22!
Guess the category he was nominated for?
Business Owner of The Year. ...
Guess the Business he was involved in? Production of Stylish Looking Buttons! Yeah, you saw that very clearly... Buttons
......You can Google him.... Sylvester Kay-Adade .
He is a very handsome guy oooooooo, so ladies don't fall for him oooooooo, lol
...p. s
I just saw this interview with him Online... read it and be inspired. Thanks Ladies and Gentlemen
www.giditalking./the-future-of-gidi/sylvester-kay-adade/
Also read this article and get inspired ;
www.thefuturenigeria.com/business-owner-of-the-year/

6 Likes

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by dareyking(m): 9:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
I feel 4 u guys buh even people with handwork ar even yet to get food on their table talkless of you all....Dun knw whr we heading to in this Nation....Buh what i am sure of is another Man can not fulfil my destiny for me.....Goodluck to y'all....Darelee Nairalee..
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by osheydollar: 9:28pm On Oct 07, 2013
@etel_flon may God almighty bless u,u have said it all mass protest will be the best,for me i am ready,just that i dont know the mind of others,there was dis faithful day i went to Asaba for ano interview in one of dis companies,on my way coming back i saw a hudge holdup,wen i got close to know what happening i was told it was cripple handicap across Delta state that where protesting for their money,its was'nt easy that day,till the state governor who went for a meeting @ Abuja has to board ano emergency flight back to Asaba to settle the cripples,what are my trying to S̶̲̥̅A̶̷̷̴̲̥̩̩̥̅̊̐͠♈̩̩̥ let us who are unemployed graduate made up our minds for once and come out in mass to protest it will go a long way in helping u.how can ano indian man leave his country to come and manage a company in Nigeria,wen we have managers all are around who can run this companies very well.its really annoying.so please am READY for whatever we happen.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by danny301: 9:36pm On Oct 07, 2013
lorretta u: It's been four months since I finished my NYSC

Getting a job hasn't been easy. Still in the job market.
But I'll soon overcome

Which one is job market?
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by MaziOmenuko: 9:39pm On Oct 07, 2013
danny301:

Which one is job market?

I think she means the mile 2 market at Lagos cool

1 Like

Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by DankemzI(m): 9:40pm On Oct 07, 2013
AyodejiCharles: Honestly, I am not in support

Make Sure Miscreants dont Hijack the protest & cause Mayhem Vandalizing & Looting cause if they do?

Life's.... I mean fresh unemployed Graduates life's will be lost..
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by goldenspoon: 9:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
admin like say news don finish una for mouth abi.
Re: Graduates: What Has Been Your Experience Getting Jobs? by DankemzI(m): 9:47pm On Oct 07, 2013
danny301:

Which one is job market?

Should be Labour Market

lorretta u:
Four months since I finished my NYSC
Still in the job market.

Unemployable

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Need The Contributions Of Experienced Construction Site Engineers / What Money-Making Skill Do You Have Or Wish To Learn? / Ciscon MD Sacks Staff Who Were On The Rig Through Email (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.