Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,162 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:55 AM

Juju: Real Or Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Juju: Real Or Not? (2855 Views)

Poll: How real is Juju?

Real: 66% (4 votes)
Not Real: 33% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Pastor In A Live Spiritual Battle With Juju Priest (Video) / Is Juju Real - Debate Between Phuck_nl And Splitnaija / Is Juju Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 8:15am On Jun 30, 2008
Everyone on this page should have heard about JuJu.

But is it something you consider real or not? Do you have examples of it?
Or did you experience it?

Please share your thoughts openly!
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 8:24am On Jun 30, 2008
about as real as god
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by mishooo(m): 8:40am On Jun 30, 2008
Juju real or not real shocked shocked shocked
You must be kidding me.

When have you gone to your Village last.

please just enjoy in switzerland, and don't make the mistake of goin to a place like MY Village o.
Else they would have seen you as you cross the bridge . All they need is your name. and God help you if you did not give one of them a substantial gift. believe me, they will be calling your name every night and probably remote control you for the rest of your life.

Aunty Udode, Juju dey ooo.

-------- But God pass them tongue tongue tongue
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 8:43am On Jun 30, 2008
Mishoo, thanks for your caring, but im not nigerian!

Im a born swiss and onjocha too :-) just something im really interested in, since in my culture there is nothing alike!
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 9:18am On Jun 30, 2008
mishooo:

Juju real or not real shocked shocked shocked
You must be kidding me.

When have you gone to your Village last.

please just enjoy in switzerland, and don't make the mistake of goin to a place like MY Village o.
Else they would have seen you as you cross the bridge . All they need is your name. and God help you if you did not give one of them a substantial gift. believe me, they will be calling your name every night and probably remote control you for the rest of your life.

Aunty Udode, Juju dey ooo.

-------- But God pass them tongue tongue tongue

Christianity scares you with the flames of eternal hell and promises deliverance from this is you adopt the christian belief.

Similarly, the juju practitioners scare you with death from their craft. To assuage their wrath, you are required to make "sacrifices" to them.

What is the moral? The weak and credulous mind is susceptible to such venal threads lacking any objective effects. It is the emotional fear of these superstitions that cripple the mind and not the superstitions themselves.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 10:19am On Jun 30, 2008
Huxley,

I think you are right. As far as I am concerned, juju can only work if you believe in it. Because if you don't, you would never allow somebody to take control over you.

By the way, wouldn't you say that being religios (beliving in God) and beliveing in Juju is a contradiction?
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 10:36am On Jun 30, 2008
Udode:

Huxley,

I think you are right. As far as I am concerned, juju can only work if you believe in it. Because if you don't, you would never allow somebody to take control over you.

By the way, wouldn't you say that being religios (beliving in God) and beliveing in Juju is a contradiction?

"juju can only work if you believe in it" What do you mean by this? I would class the "work" in the sense that the paralytic emotional disturbance cause by the fear occasioned by such beliefs.

How can one verify in objective terms whether juju have any power to materially produce an action from their craft?

Believing in juju and god are exactly the same thing. Superstition and supernaturalism. The one difference is that the one appears "black" and unliterate and the other appears "white" and supported by a well-established and wealthy institution.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 10:52am On Jun 30, 2008
I think i know what you want to say.
But a person that thinks to be bewitched, and that is religious (of course you would have to define that too) at the same time would start praying to God that this juju should stop, right?

So if it is one and the same, where is the point in praying to God for protection or "healing"? Or differently asked, why would people believe in both, ?
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 11:45am On Jun 30, 2008
"Man is born in ignorance of everything around him; and his ignorance of natural causes begat
terror; terror, superstition; superstition, priest and priesthood; whose interests and unbending efforts are
exerted to perpetuate the ignorance, the fear and the superstition that gave them birth";

Mitchell Logan
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0766192814/ref=sib_dp_ptu#reader-link
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by ifyalways(f): 1:22pm On Jun 30, 2008
@Topic,Yeah it exists but it cant affect anyone that is soaked and sanctified by the blood of the lamb. . .Jesus.There are principalites and there are powers but Christ Jesus rules over all.
"we wrestle not against principalities and powers" . . . .acknowledging that there are powers and principalities
"God has exalted him high above every other name,that at the mention of the name of JESUS,every knee must bow and every tongue must confess" . . . .yet there is a saving name or power cool
"the name of the lord is a strong tower,the "righteous" runs into it and are saved.
"we wud overcome by the blood of the lamb and by the words of our testimony.

so Yes,there are powers and there are jazz But JESUS rules over all. cool

1 Like

Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by folly69(m): 1:25pm On Jun 30, 2008
Its damn real my friend just three weeks ago a man died of magun(thunder bolt)by sleeping with another mans wife.

@ifyalways where have u been girl missed ya
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by ifyalways(f): 1:29pm On Jun 30, 2008
folly69:

Its damn real my friend just three weeks ago a man died of magun(thunder bolt)by sleeping with another mans wife.

oooooh,sinners beware !
@folly,been around town. cheesy missed our fights too.wassup with Aisha 2? [s]pls lets not start,the long arms of the mods are more than ready to strike wink[/s]
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 2:29pm On Jun 30, 2008
@ folly69 How do you know it was juju that killed him?
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Tasma: 4:02pm On Jun 30, 2008
The replies to this post shows how far we have to go before achieving real progress in taking care of ourselves in Nigeria. Hopefully we'll someday get our heads out of this superstitous mumbo jumbo and face our problems with reason and education.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Lady2(f): 6:58pm On Jun 30, 2008
about as real as god

I am glad that you are ignorant of the juju issue, and I pray that you remain ignorant of it. Trust me you don't want to experience what I have experienced.

@Poster.

It is very real, and I am a living testimony of it, infact my mother and I are living testimonies of it. Thank God we have been delivered by God.

My story.

My mother married my stepfather not knowing what kind of family she married into. O trust me they were all nice in the beginning and all and so was he. My grandparents advised my mother to marry him because he was so gentle to me and was going to be a good father and he could take care of us (he was one of the big men of NEPA in PH, we had light almost 24/7, hehehe).

So my mother agreed and had a baby for him and then another one came that almost claimed her life. That's when the trouble started he no longer wanted me in his home and his family didn't want my mother around he rown children. They won't even let her bathe them. My mother ofcourse protested against all these and told them they were mad. SHe fought hard to keep her children together. She ran away from home alot but her family won't let her stay away from her marital home (well they realise their mistake now).

In 1996 I believe, my stepfather's older brother died so we went Benin to bury him. We discovered that the wife wasn't capable of taking care of her children. So my mother talked my stepfather into bringing one of the sons to PH with us and he would go to school just like her children (big mistake). We didn't know that the boy had epilepsy and he would drink bitterleaf water to suppress it or whatever. When we got to PH time went by and we started noticing him convulsing, foaming at the mouth and everything, loosing consciousness, but we didn't know what was wrong. We took him to the hospital that's when the doctor told us what was going on.

One day I was sleeping in the children's living room, dircelty opposite the dinning room, we had a deep freezer there and we were doing construction on the floor. Putting in tiles so there were loose tiles around there. The boy usually wakes up to go drink water in the middle of the night. He did the same this time around. He went to the freezer and he started convulsing I could hear something so I woke up and just stayed watching. I didn't know what was going on, all I know was that he was shaking and acting abnormal. Then he hit the floor and hit his head on one of the tiles, with the impact his head was cut and he was bleeding profusely, I still stayed watching, not knowing what to do. Luckily our housegirl heard the thump, she came and saw what was going on and then screamed waking up the whole household. We rushed him to the hospital. Informed his family and then they came. His mother started accusing my mother saying my mother is a witch and is trying to kill her son. She said her son left Benin in perfect health and didn't have a disease. The boy gained consciousness and the doctors asked him if his mother knew, he said yes that his mother told him about drinking bitterleaf water. My mum was exonerated or so we thought. The next year my family set for America. One day my stepfather got a call, my mother picked up the phone and overhead my stepsister's aunt on the other line telling my stepfather what his family was doing. They took the boy's body to juju men and conjured his spirit three times and asked himif my mother killed him three times the boy said no that they should leave my mother alone that she was a good mother to him. My stepesister's aunt told my father to tell my mum to hang on to her God because that's who keeps saving her and that if she slips she will be done for. Theysecretly buried the boy, they wanted my mother to eat him.

Years later I became a teenager in the University. My mum and stepfather are separated. One day he was beating my brother and sisters and I came home from work (it was during the summer). I rushed in and got him off of them, then he tried to come after me and I stood up to him, I beat him out of anger and he promised to take my life by all means, well he let us know that he was going to use juju to give me a slow and painful death, my mum made me apologise.

My stepsister didn't graduate the university and kept following men, that angered my stepfather and he saw how my mum held me as a pride. He promised my mum that I will not graduate.Everyyear that I get close to graduation it has been one thing or the other and it's prolonged. I have missed 4 chances of graduating. The last time my mum got a call from him telling her that I won't graduate alive. Then she received a call from a friend of hers telling her a dream he had and that she should pray. The next day I was involved in a car crash that almost claimed my life. I was hit by an eighteen wheeler truck on the highway going at least 70 miles per hour. I came out alive but the people who saw the accident thought I died in the car. They didn't expect me to be alive, but I am alive. Immediately my mum remembered the call that she got and the promise she got from him.

There are other stories in my life, but this is enough for the wise.
Stay true to God and he will deliver you, I promise.
Stay true to Christ.

For those who don't believe, I pray that you stay ignorant and never have to experience all that I have experienced in my life from these people. No child should have to be haunted in her dreams and go through what I have been through. No woman should live her life in fear like my mother has.

The replies to this post shows how far we have to go before achieving real progress in taking care of ourselves in Nigeria. Hopefully we'll someday get our heads out of this superstitous mumbo jumbo and face our problems with reason and education

It's not only Nigeria dear, it's India and Republic of Benin and Haiti and St. Thomas, the carribean. Trust me it's there. When you see you will believe. I have seen I believe they exist, but I have overcome with Christ.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 8:51pm On Jun 30, 2008
@lady

im so sorry 4 what you had to go trough. But by reading your story, i can tell that you are a strong woman. Never give up, and i know you will graduate! what are you studying if i may ask?

where i come from, we dont believe in juju, but id have to say that not only "we" dont believe in it, but that our enemies dont believe in it either. Im not sure if i am making myself clear. If you grow up without knowing what juju is, and no one does, nobody will ever use it against the other.

i just hope that one day people will realize that doing harm to somebody else is doing harm to yourself as well!
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Lady2(f): 10:17pm On Jun 30, 2008
im so sorry 4 what you had to go trough. But by reading your story, i can tell that you are a strong woman. Never give up, and i know you will graduate! what are you studying if i may ask?

Thanks. I am studying accounting.

where i come from, we don't believe in juju, but id have to say that not only "we" don't believe in it, but that our enemies don't believe in it either. I'm not sure if i am making myself clear. If you grow up without knowing what juju is, and no one does, nobody will ever use it against the other.

yeah I didn't believe in it either, I thought it was in the movies only until I experienced it myself. My mum doesn't believe in it as in she doesn't see need for it, but unfortunately she married into a family that are firm believers of using juju.

i just hope that one day people will realize that doing harm to somebody else is doing harm to yourself as well!

I hope they realise it too.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by lucabrasi(m): 11:34pm On Jun 30, 2008
@lady
wowza thats really cold but i can relate with what you r going through because i come from a polygamous family apart from studying abroad its part of the reasons my dad spread us ous and abroad because everybody being in the same place will cause chaos and no one knows where it ll end and studying abroad was high priority for someone like me in that kind of scenario with my mum deceased (she died young and we were told through diabolical means)but thats another story similar to yours

think you should thank GOD you have a mum alive or you wont be saying the same thing because she will have done a lot spiritually to fortify you n protect you even without telling you,suprised cause i didnt know such stuffs happened in a single wife household,from experience i think its always worse when the extended family rely on the man for their livelihood
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jun 30, 2008
shocked
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by mishooo(m): 12:09pm On Jul 01, 2008
i purposefully didnt reply again when people came out with so much grammar to dispel the fact that there's a dark side of the spiritual world. people are ignorant of many things. and our ignorance starts from trying to judge everything by our sense of feel, touch and smell. education doesnt change some fundamental things. you can explain so many things because of your level of education but DEFINITELY there are many things that you can't explain but they exist.

i grew up in the rural and have witnessed people foaming and death through use of diabolical charms and ordinary rings. are you telling me those charms wont work if used on a white man who doesnt believe in it ?? Come on guys.!!! These things are deeper than your feeble minds can grasp.

How many of you have seen a bird turn into a human (LIVE) ??
How many of you have seen a REAL witch Doctor (babalawo) ??
How many of you have seen a REAL 'Bante' (the charm thats tied around the waist) ??
am not talking of films guys !!!

You guys just type out of your little experience in life.
So you don't know guys that have left their all (achievement, properties et at ) in wherever they are abroad and go home back to Naija to suffer without reason (only because someone called them in the middle of the night) ??

~Lady~:

I am glad that you are ignorant of the juju issue, and I pray that you remain ignorant of it. Trust me you don't want to experience what I have experienced.

There are other stories in my life, but this is enough for the wise.
Stay true to God and he will deliver you, I promise.
Stay true to Christ.

It's not only Nigeria dear, it's India and Republic of Benin and Haiti and St. Thomas, the carribean. Trust me it's there. When you see you will believe. I have seen I believe they exist, but I have overcome with Christ.

i understand what lady T went through and i must say its just by HIS Grace that she's still alive.

lucabrasi:

@ladyT

think you should thank GOD you have a mum alive or you wont be saying the same thing because she will have done a lot spiritually to fortify you n protect you even without telling you,suprised cause i didnt know such stuffs happened in a single wife household,from experience i think its always worse when the extended family rely on the man for their livelihood
You don't need any fortification if you have Christ. you are way above them.
Get any local witch and ask her !!

I rest my case cool cool
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Gamine(f): 12:20pm On Jul 01, 2008
Good cannot exist without Evil.

Of course there is juju.

Why should the question even come up

Most Nigerians have stories to tell.

The thing is,

God is FAR ABOVE any juju, which is just the power of the Devil.

So people dont be ignorant of the devices of Satan
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by lucabrasi(m): 12:41pm On Jul 01, 2008
mishooo:

I rest my case cool cool
by fortification or protection i was on about prayers and fasting not anything diabolic u can have christ and be spiritual
dont know if the question to ask a local witch was directed at me but if it was then sorry i didnt grow up in that kinda scenario,yes there was the usual polygamous stuffs in my house but not to that extent and mine wasnt the fuji house of commotion type
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by phillip001(m): 1:42pm On Jul 01, 2008
huxley and udode,
i

i beileve that expirence is the best teacher, so to prove if it is real or not contact me and i will take you to a

village

where you will find out the truth yoursevles my email add is ginikanwaokechukwu@yahoo.com
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by stag: 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2008
na wa o.

@ lady be strong alright? i'm sure all well meaning people on this forum will keep praying for u, dear.

keep on keeping faith.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Udode(f): 1:58pm On Jul 01, 2008
@philipp001

U want to show me that juju exists? i dont know if i really want to experience that undecided

i think im doing pretty good here grin
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 2:10pm On Jul 01, 2008
Why don't you check this out? http://www.rationalistinternational.net/
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Tasma: 2:46pm On Jul 01, 2008
@ mishooo

[quote][/quote]
"How many of you have seen a bird turn into a human (LIVE) ??
How many of you have seen a REAL 'Bante' (the charm thats tied around the waist) ??
am not talking of films guys !!!"

Have YOU seen a bird turn into a human (LIVE)?? Paradoxically I will use a statement you made to try to explain things to you. Yes our level of education and enlightenment affects how we perceive things in life, for example a villager might be awestruck at the sight of space shuttle, that does not make a space shuttle supernatural. Your level of education and enlightenment obviously affects your perception on things. That is why one persons subjective view on an event cannot be taken as truth. The fact that you may have thought you saw a bird turn into a human, does not actually mean that is what really happened. Your perceptive of such an event is based on your own tendency towards a supernatural explanation for things you cannot understand. I wonder what will happen if you watched LIVE an hour long magic show by the likes of David Copperfield or some other great magician. You'll probably leave that show convinced that "white man jazz pass black man jazz o". Not wanting to put you down man but just try to broaden your horizons a bit.

Cheers
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 2:54pm On Jul 01, 2008
Tasma:

@ mishooo

"How many of you have seen a bird turn into a human (LIVE) ??
am not talking of films guys !!!"

Have YOU seen a bird turn into a human (LIVE)?? Paradoxically I will use a statement you made to try to explain things to you. Yes our level of education and enlightenment affects how we perceive things in life, for example a villager might be awestruck at the sight of space shuttle, that does not make a space shuttle supernatural. Your level of education and enlightenment obviously affects your perception on things. That is why one persons subjective view on an event cannot be taken as truth. The fact that you may have thought you saw a bird turn into a human, does not actually mean that is what really happened. Your perceptive of such an event is based on your own tendency towards a supernatural explanation for things you cannot understand. I wonder what will happen if you watched LIVE an hour long magic show by the likes of David Copperfield or some other great magician. You'll probably leave that show convinced that "white man jazz pass black man jazz o". Not wanting to put you down man but just try to broaden your horizons a bit.

Cheers

Brilliant, Tasma.

Allow me to summarise this by quoting Arthur C Clarke, who died recently.

"Any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic", A C Clarke.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by mishooo(m): 4:32pm On Jul 01, 2008
Tasma:

@ mishooo

Have YOU seen a bird turn into a human (LIVE)?? Well, i have to confess that i wasnt there when the bird fell. but i saw the old haggard looking woman and heard from witnesses Paradoxically I will use a statement you made to try to explain things to you. Yes our level of education and enlightenment affects how we perceive things in life, for example a villager might be awestruck at the sight of space shuttle, that does not make a space shuttle supernatural. Your level of education and enlightenment obviously affects your perception on things. My guy, you amaze me. you are talking of science that has to do with logical explanation/reasoning as if am from the stone age. LOL. We are talking of mysticism that doesnt have logics. You must think you are replying someone without knowledge. wake up man !! That is why one persons subjective view on an event cannot be taken as truth. The fact that you may have thought you saw a bird turn into a human, does not actually mean that is what really happened. Your perceptive of such an event is based on your own tendency towards a supernatural explanation for things you cannot understand. so should it be based on your own?? i think we explain thing according to our perception of its meaning. thats why i wasnt quoting anyone. i speak what i know. I wonder what will happen if you watched LIVE an hour long magic show by the likes of David Copperfield or some other great magician. You'll probably leave that show convinced that "white man jazz pass black man jazz o". Magic is for entertainment. 'Juju' is for wickedness. you are mixing so many things up here. a wicked person doesnt want to prove anything to you. He want to harm you !! you geddit boy?? Not wanting to put you down man but just try to broaden your horizons a bit. You are telling me to broaden my horizons?? LOL, you don't even have an idea of who i am and how broadened my horizons are. grin grin and believe, i don't want to prove anything to you or tell you about myself.

All that said, the topic is "Juju, real or not" and i've said my own part. My submission again is this : 'Juju' is very real but the infinite Being (God) is more REAL.

Ibi ti ko ba ti si ile, la ti n jiyan okiti .
we only have to argue about who can somersault the most when we are far from land.

@Tasma, if you are really sure i don't know what am saying, you can send me your real name, your father's name and your mother's maiden name. i don't even need your location. i'll pass them to the right quarters.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by huxley(m): 4:41pm On Jul 01, 2008
mishooo:

All that said, the topic is "Juju, real or not" and i've said my own part. My submission again is this : 'Juju' is very real but the infinite Being (God) is more REAL.

Ibi ti ko ba ti si ile, la ti n jiyan okiti .
we only have to argue about who can somersault the most when we are far from land.

@Tasma, if you are really sure i don't know what am saying, you can send me your real name, your father's name and your mother's maiden name. i don't even need your location. i'll pass them to the right section.

How can one demonstrate that the claimed "power" of juju are real? Do you think that there are means by which this might be verified?

Not long ago, these same claims pervaded most of western Europe. Why do you rarely hear of such claims in Europe today?

What is real is the fear of juju, the the claim powers of juju.

Check out James Randi's website (http://www.randi.org/) where he debunks people who claims such powers. It is very instructive;

One day, scientific rationalism will get into the African mind. I live in hope.
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by mishooo(m): 4:58pm On Jul 01, 2008
The problem with you guys is that you only accept another person's opinion as long as it has affinity with your upbringing and belief systems. How can you refer me to a post when i can refer you to a hundred posts but decided to talk on MY experience. you could just as well keep quiet if you don't have any experience in the area of discussion (no disregard intended).

I never said i believe in the efficacy of 'juju' but just in its existence. i actually don't have the time for all these rambling and arguments are not my strong point. i just say things as they are and i move on (am already feeling guilty of advertising 'juju' if i can devote such number of minutes to it).

Am out of here. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Juju: Real Or Not? by Lady2(f): 1:09am On Jul 02, 2008

I think he was talking about Christ

Thanks lucabrasi and thanks mishoo

The problem with you guys is that you only accept another person's opinion as long as it has affinity with your upbringing and belief systems. How can you refer me to a post when i can refer you to a hundred posts but decided to talk on MY experience. you could just as well keep quiet if you don't have any experience in the area of discussion (no disregard intended).

I never said i believe in the efficacy of 'juju' but just in its existence. i actually don't have the time for all these rambling and arguments are not my strong point. i just say things as they are and i move on (am already feeling guilty of advertising 'juju' if i can devote such number of minutes to it).

Am out of here.

Don't mind them, I know what I have seen and experienced myself, I don't need someone else to come and debunk my own experience because of their fear to acknowledge the truth.

Truth is juju is real, God exists and is more powerful, Christ is the only way to God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Prepared Are You For The Coming Of The Lord? / Christianity Is Called The Great Confession / 47 Reasons Why Our Heavenly Father Has No Equals Or “co-equals”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.