Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:13 AM

Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary (19088 Views)

Yoruba Leaders’ Threat Against Fulani Herdsmen Diversionary – Falana / Jonathan's National Conference Is Due To His Second Term Fear-he May Break Nigr. / Fraudulent Amalgamation Of 1914: Sovereign National Conference Is The Way To Go (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by sammy329(m): 5:32pm On Oct 05, 2013
Fresh from a medical trip abroad, a national leader of the opposition All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, on Saturday criticized the proposed national conference, describing it as “deceptive” and “diversionary.”

Mr Tinubu stated this in Lagos at a press conference he addressed shortly after returning to the country Saturday.

President Goodluck Jonathan had, in his Independence Day broadcast to the nation last Tuesday, announced the composition of a committee to hammer out modalities for a national dialogue.

The committee, headed by a former Senator and Chieftain of the Yoruba apex socio-cultural organization, Afenifere, Femi Okurounmu, will be inaugurated on Monday by the president at the Presidential Villa.

It has one month to conclude its assignment and submit its report.

Mr Tinubu, who arrived from the United Kingdom where he recuperated after a knee surgery earlier in the United States, wondered why the president was proposing a national dialogue only 15 months to the 2015 general election, adding that those running the federal administration were not even smart in their deception.

”Why is the conference coming at just about 15 months to the next general election” he asked. ”When will it hold? Why so sudden? I see a contradiction and diversion,” the former Lagos State governor said while addressing party supporters, who had come to welcome him at the Executive Jet Hanger One of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Ikeja.

”National conference is by whom, for whom, and at what stage? How many level of deception? These people (federal government) are not even smart public perception deception. I see a contradiction. I see diversion. I see deception, lack of honesty and integrity.”

Mr. Tinubu, whose speech was interrupted by intermittently shouts of praise by the crowd, said at no time had Nigeria in its 53 years of independence been divided as it was now.

The former Lagos State governor alleged that Mr. Jonathan was proposing the national dialogue because his party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had been factionalized.

He said, “Nigeria has never been this divisive in its 53 years of existence, yet he (President Jonathan) now considers a national conference because of the apparent division in his party.

Mr. Tinubu also criticised the setting up of another committee by the Jonathan’s administration despite doing nothing with the plethora of reports by series of committees it established in the past.

”The president has received a lot of committees reports and we do not know whether the flood waters has washed them away or whether Boko Haram has taken them,” he said.

“There are no White Papers, no red papers, no black papers, nothing. Just absolute silence and yet we have another committee which is ill-timed.”

He demanded action on reports already submitted by the likes of Uwais, Lemu, Oronsanye and other committees.

”The timing is wrong. The programme is diversionary because there is no time for it now.”

Mr. Tinubu, however, assured that, as a democrat, he would discuss the issue of the proposed national dialogue with his party, adding “whatever the party says, I shall stand with.”

Postponing election will be insane

Responding to a question on whether the proposed national conference could be part of the plot to postpone the general elections, Mr Tinubu said, doing so would be insane.

”It will only be postponing the stealing and looting that some people are enjoying and we will not accept that,” he said.

”How long before the next elections, just about 15months and how long will it take to process the arrangement for such a thorough conference.

“I think we will talk about it (national conference) when we have a man of integrity, strong character and goodwill in charge of this country.”

The APC leader recalled that Mr. Jonathan had once stated that there was no need for Sovereign National Conference because the nation’s sovereignty lies with the national assembly.

”Democracy and sovereignty belongs to the people and not the national assembly and I suspect a distraction” he said, refering to the president’s sudden change of mind on the conference.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/146088-tinubu-returns-says-planne-national-conference-deceptive-diversionary.html

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Emperor007: 5:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
He should settle down first.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by tomakint: 5:59pm On Oct 05, 2013
This is what you get when weed is too much, imagine a drug addict trying to whip up sentiments against a noble cause that will take us out of the wilderness of nothingness we all as a people have been trudging on for ages! I know the National Conference has come to stay and not even 1million Tinubus can stop it this I know for real!

101 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Emperor007: 6:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
SNC is long over due.

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by bloggernaija: 6:10pm On Oct 05, 2013
The Jagbadan is back.
First cruise missile don hit target .
Let me breakdown the statement.

Jagbadan is not saying he does not want SNC.He want it sharp sharp.
In fact, he is daring GEJ to hold one tomorrow at the same time staking the political centre of being the chief nemesis of PDP and the oligarchy.
Because in opposition politics ,the ruling party is always wrong and the opposition party can do better.
That is the beauty of democracy that is alien to Nigerians .
Jagaban is saying to joe,
"PROVE ME WRONG" but if you think you can use tricks to deceive ,you are on a long thing.

My take on this SNC issue is that jonathan want to use it to divide the opposition and the opposition in his party on ethnic basis

41 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 05, 2013
Jagaban is making sense.... I just pray that GEJ is sincere becoz we REALLY need dat SNC... GEJ is jagaban right Please GEJ you have to prove Jagaban wrong...
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Ngwakwe: 6:17pm On Oct 05, 2013
The leader of Nigeria's only progressive party and a defender of the oppressed.

bloggernaija: Jagbadan is back

8 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by MafiaMan: 6:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
Olamagnifico: Jagaban is making sense.... I just pray that GEJ is sincere becoz we nid dat SNC... GEJ is jagaban right?

Tinubu is questioning the timing of the conference and he has all the rights to do so as a citizen of this country. If Jonathan once made a public statement about rejecting the offer of convening this conference, then why all of a sudden this u-turn? was it because the northern guys are frying his assss through the New PDP? or because the northerners are demanding for PDP tickets?

As matter of fact, I will prefer division of this cesspit call Nigeria. Whichever way, I hope God can make this year the last year a name known as Nigeria will ever exist.

11 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by abrat: 6:27pm On Oct 05, 2013
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Olaolufred(m): 6:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
tomakint: This is what you get when weed is too much, imagine a drug addict trying to whip up sentiments against a noble cause that will take us out of the wilderness of nothingness we all as a people have been trudging on for ages! I know the National Conference has come to stay and not even 1million Tinubus can stop it this I know for real!

In timing, will the SNC and campaign for 2015 be running concurrently or simultaneously?
Timing is actually questionable even though the idea is laudable.
Think that through.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by atlwireles: 6:56pm On Oct 05, 2013
Any attempt by Tinubu to talk down the SNC/NC will only isolate him in Yorubaland. There's no two ways about this fact. 2015 elections is not an issue. What Nigeria, we are trying to have elections in, is the issue.

10 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
Mafia Man:

Tinubu is questioning the timing of the conference and he has all the rights to do so as a citizen of this country. If Jonathan once made a public statement about rejecting the offer of convening this conference, then why all of a sudden this u-turn? was it because the northern guys are frying his assss through the New PDP? or because the northerners are demanding for PDP tickets?

As matter of fact, I will prefer division of this cesspit call Nigeria. Whichever way, I hope God can make this year the last year a name known as Nigeria will ever exist.
Amin sir

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
This just a public statement to deceive the masses. His stand will be made known in Aso rock before GEJ his good friend.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
Which Tinubu?
Is it the same one that said opposed the state of emergency as was declared by Mr. President?

Well, he is in the "opposition":

If Mr. President says, "Let us have a conference now", Tinunu will say, "We don't need a conference now"
If Mr. President says, "We don't need a conference now", Tinubu will say, "We need a conference now"

Tinubu and his fellow mischief makers are on political rampage.
Their greedy for power has beclouded their senses of reasoning.

We need that conference now!
Nigeria is expiring in a few months and we need to discuss whether to continue or not.
I wanna go home to Biafra!

83 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by idumuose(m): 7:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
Although I am not a fan of Tinubu yet I do not disagree with
him.He is nt opposed to the NC but it's the timing that he is
Looking at.And remember too that the chairman of the organising
committee is not Tinubu's fan.Infact okuronun is a member of alliance
for democracy(AD) and a critic of Tinubu.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by russellino: 8:28pm On Oct 05, 2013
The SNC is more important than any friggin 2015 elections. If and only if it is taken seriously and the recommendations are put to a referendum for finality. Let's decide what we want. Enough blurred lines

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 05, 2013
I have been vindicated by what tinubu just said about the planned NC.

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
Even Afenifere has taken a firm stand behind SNC as proposed by GEJ. Tunubu just need to be properly debriefed before he starts talking from both sides of his mouth.

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 8:52pm On Oct 05, 2013
I am vry surprised dat Tinubu is whining abt dis idea whether timing or no timing. D Yorubas hav always called 4 dis nd are happy dat d time has come. Dey shld use dis opportunity whether timing is ryt or wrong; dis opportunity may nt come again oooo!

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by FreeGlobe(f): 8:54pm On Oct 05, 2013
SNc is unnegotiable!

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 05, 2013
Dive-Bomber:
I am vry surprised dat Tinubu is whining abt dis idea whether timing or no timing. D Yorubas hav always called 4 dis nd are happy dat d time has come. Dey shld use dis opportunity whether timing is ryt or wrong; dis opportunity may nt come again oooo!

This is not only about timing. Jonathan is a deceptive human being. He is trying to get NC/SNC in motion but it is all ruse. If Jonathan ever win re-election, that is where the NC/SNC brouhaha ends.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by MafiaMan: 8:58pm On Oct 05, 2013
Dive-Bomber:

Can you just drop your taradidles and address his concerns?
Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Ngwakwe: 9:04pm On Oct 05, 2013
Trying so hard to assign motive to every noble call by GEJ to support your skewed opinions and disdain for your worst enemy.

payless:

This is not only about timing. Jonathan is a deceptive human being. He is trying to get NC/SNC in motion but it is all ruse. If Jonathan ever win re-election, that is where the NC/SNC brouhaha ends.

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Ayed44: 9:05pm On Oct 05, 2013
idumuose: Although I am not a fan of Tinubu yet I do not disagree with
Which timing are u talking about? Don't u knw dat d unity and peace of Nigeria is far more important than d 2015 elections? Don't u knw dat 2015 is a time bomb dat may consume Nigeria if d current challenges are nt properly addressed through dialogue b4 d 2015 elections are conducted? I beliv dat a round table discussion is beta than going to unneccessary war. It does no harm to talk. Let us talk now and find a way forward. God bless Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by naijaking1: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
idumuose: Although I am not a fan of Tinubu yet I do not disagree with

That's the whole problem, insincerity.
Tinubu rose to his present political status aligning with NADECO to call for national conference since the Abacha era.
So, his enemy was appointed into office while he was away? Sorry about that, but life goes on without Tinubu, the most insincere politician on the current Nigerian stage.
He couldn't even tell the truth that he has problem with the composition of the commission, instead he says that the whole idea which he has advocated most of his life is wrong, or the timing is bad, how convinient

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
Ngwakwe: Trying so hard to assign motive to every noble call by GEJ to support your skewed opinions and disdain for your worst enemy.

He wasn't my worst enemy when I campaigned for him. He wasn't my sworn enemy when my family, friends, and relatives voted for him. He wasn't my sworn enemy when I said I couldn't wait for someone from SS and professor to have the opportunity to become the best thing to ever happened to Nigeria. The point is that Jonathan has squandered the goodwill of the people vested in him after the death of Yar'Adua. Some of you only support him on sentiment only and not on what he said he would do if given the chance.

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 05, 2013
Mafia Man:

Can you just drop your taradidles and address his concerns?

D conference will take place b4 2015 elections, 15 mnths is enof time to do dis. Y is Tinubu crying? Dis country had to change nd dis mentality of born- to-rule has to give way.

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by luvinhubby(m): 9:10pm On Oct 05, 2013
russellino: The SNC is more important than any friggin 2015 elections. If and only if it is taken seriously and the recommendations are put to a referendum for finality. Let's decide what we want. Enough blurred lines
Seconded, we need to discuss which type of `Nigeria` we are casting our votes in, not one where one state has more local governments than 5 other states in another region.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 05, 2013
Tinubu is a hypocrite! Yorubas hav been shouting nd calling 4 SNC since d days of NADECO, dey shld seize dis chance whether GEJ's motives are ryt or nt. WE HAV TO TALK NOW!

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by luvinhubby(m): 9:15pm On Oct 05, 2013
payless:

He wasn't my worst enemy when I campaigned for him. He wasn't my sworn enemy when my family, friends, and relatives voted for him. He wasn't my sworn enemy when I said I couldn't wait for someone from SS and professor to have the opportunity to become the best thing to ever happened to Nigeria. The point is that Jonathan has squandered the goodwill of the people vested in him after the death of Yar'Adua. Some of you only support him on sentiment only and not on what he said he would do if given the chance.
Considering the enormity of the security challenges (highest since the civil war) and the amount of resources diverted into it, don`t you think GEJ has more than matched his words with actions, sentiments aside?

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Sec5(m): 9:17pm On Oct 05, 2013
Are you sure he is fully recovered?
I mean mentally

47 Likes

Re: Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary by Nobody: 9:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
luvinhubby:
Considering the enormity of the security challenges (highest since the civil war) and the amount of resources diverted into it, don`t you think GEJ has more than matched his words with actions, sentiments aside?

List just two tangible things Jonathan has done to touch the lives of the common man.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tanko Almakura And Wife, Mario At Hajj (Photos) / Hon. Hassan Abdullahi Beiwa Storms Out Of Kogi Guber APC Primaries Ground / Presidential Change Of Guards Parade In Abuja (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.