Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,507 members, 7,781,559 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:01 PM

G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme (7418 Views)

World Bank Raises Alarm Over Nigeria’s Economy / Syntek Global Nigeria- Distributors And Marketers Needed All Over Nigeria / Russia To Construct Nigeria’s Nuclear Power Plants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Gbosko: 11:20am On Jun 30, 2008
A report curled from THISDAY ONLINE reads -
"Nigeria’s nuclear programme is causing concern among the world’s Group of Eight (G8) nations, THISDAY has learnt.
The G8 – comprising world’s most industrialised democracies, the United States (US), United Kingdom (UK), Japan, Russia, Italy, France, Germany and Canada – is worried about Nigeria’s ability to handle the safety and security obligations associated with use of nuclear technology."

This brings to my mind the many examples of failed projects in Nigeria e.g Ajaokuta Steel company, petroleum refineries, health services, PHCN, state water boards, education system, public governance, law enforcement, poverty alleviation schemes, rural development programme, road maintenance agencies, electioneering system, to mention but a few.

I couldn't help wondering aloud that the G8 need not bother itself. The fantasy Nigerian Nuclear programme will die a Nigerian natural death just like every single thing ever initiated by the abysmally corrupt Nigerian system. What's your take on this?
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by noetic(m): 11:22am On Jun 30, 2008
Gbosko:

A report curled from THISDAY ONLINE reads - "Nigeria’s nuclear programme is causing concern among the world’s Group of Eight (G8) nations, THISDAY has learnt.
The G8 – comprising world’s most industrialised democracies, the United States (US), United Kingdom (UK), Japan, Russia, Italy, France, Germany and Canada – is worried about Nigeria’s ability to handle the safety and security obligations associated with use of nuclear technology."

This brings to my mind the many examples of failed projects in Nigeria e.g Ajaokuta Steel company, petroleum refineries, health services, PHCN, state water boards, education system, public governance, law enforcement, poverty alleviation schemes, rural development programme, road maintenance agencies, electioneering system, to mention but a few.
[b]I couldn't help wondering aloud that the G8 need not bother itself. The fantasy Nigerian Nuclear programme will die a Nigerian natural death just like every single thing ever initiated by the abysmally corrupt Nigerian system. [/b]What's your take on this?
LOL. . . . . . . . . . grin grin grin
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Mustay(m): 11:23am On Jun 30, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin

when NEPA wan strike
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Seun(m): 11:26am On Jun 30, 2008
They are not afraid that Nigeria will become a world superpower. They are afraid that the project will fail and nuclear materials will end up in criminal hands. Well, what else could possibly happen?
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 30, 2008
Any country into nuclear programme gives the west a concern. Nuclear programme is not nepa or failed projects and cannot fail in any country apart from international pressure. Pakistan and India is not better than nigeria in most many issues and they have nuclear plants.
Remember that Iranians are noot the ones behind their nuclear plant it's Russia.
My only fear is that if we have a successful nuclear stuff we may end up wipping ourselves off the face of the earth
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Mustay(m): 11:32am On Jun 30, 2008
they are afraid we'll also leave oil for Nuclear. they want to scramble for it grin tongue

belabela:

Any country into nuclear programme gives the west a concern. Nuclear programme is not nepa or failed projects and cannot fail in any country apart from international pressure. Pakistan and India is not better than nigeria in most many issues and they have nuclear plants.
Remember that Iranians are noot the ones behind their nuclear plant it's Russia.
My only fear is that if we have a successful nuclear stuff we may end up wipping ourselves off the face of the earth

Nigeria is a country of misplaced priorities jo
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by abdurrazaq(m): 11:35am On Jun 30, 2008
I also doubt the level of the preparation we have. Nigeria that cannot effectively manage her roads want to go as far as managing deadly nuclear products shocked shocked. If we are given the go-ahead about this nuclear programme then, Nigerians we should be ready for tough time.

Only God knows how many lives that have been wasted on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway angry

Gbosko:

A report curled from THISDAY ONLINE reads -

I couldn't help wondering aloud that the G8 need not bother itself. The fantasy Nigerian Nuclear programme will die a Nigerian natural death just like every single thing ever initiated by the abysmally corrupt Nigerian system. What's your take on this?

You already easy my fears. grin
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Don1DeMaco: 11:40am On Jun 30, 2008
Nuclear project my ass.
a country dat cannot even oversee the minutest of things like generating electric power with all its vast hydrocarbons
abeg u guys should tell me something better or are we now here for jokes

i guess the members of G8 have nothing better on their plate to worry about but for the sake of worrying they had to look for something to remain relevant in the news

maybe their fear is dat we dont end up developing the program to kill ourselves cos i can just imagine, i wonder how much will be embezzled in this project??
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by cruworld(m): 11:42am On Jun 30, 2008
Well we can only talk about the past what of the future that we dont know how it will be, when internet was first brought to nigeria i hope that this is what you people will be talking about but let look around us now most of people are not into IT industry ,  what if they dont bring this idea what will you say, Let the government  do this thing and see what will happen after that i believe this will have a positive impact in our country
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by otokx(m): 11:43am On Jun 30, 2008
This must be some form of a joke.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by noetic(m): 11:49am On Jun 30, 2008
otokx:

This must be some form of a joke.
seconded. , . . . . . it d better b a joke
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by EKENEA(m): 11:50am On Jun 30, 2008
where are we going to dump the nuclear waste.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by lucabrasi(m): 11:51am On Jun 30, 2008
i fully support the west on this and nigeria should be treated like a 4 years old kid messing about with a box of matches and gas , with enough money some govt official will sell nuclear components to the highest bidders,plus the danger s there as well remember we v not hacked just 24/7 electricity and we r on about nuclear power
EKENEA:

where are we going to dump the nuclear waste.
where else but where the rest r dumped, in the niger delta
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by tulk2mi: 11:59am On Jun 30, 2008
Naija nuclear programme!  New Investment Opportunity Promo
Hezbollah, Al Queada, ETA, Hamas, militants etc where r u at?.  Black market 4 uranium is on in naija now. Hurry while stock last. grin grin

chei naija go kill me, we wan feel among kukuma destroy the country abi. Naija wey a whole ship dey loss 4 water, military dey sell guns  n ammunition to militants na wan deal with radioactive materials?. if big belle agbada pple no sell all d uranium finish, plenty  go leak into d atmosphere com cause epidemic 4 us. shocked

Make G8 no just siddon look o, make dem threaten sanctions with immediate effect. lipsrsealed
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by bebure(m): 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2008
While I applaud the governments ambition of using nuclear energy as a source of electricity. I have to agree with the G8 peeps that we are not ready for that kind of responsibility in Ngieria. Our safety record is nothing to write home about so to now start dealing with nuclear is just a bad joke. Instead we should try to get the power plants we do have running at full capacity and find a way of transmitting to the people. When we do this we can start looking for alternative sources of electricity to meet demand. BUT NOT NUCLEAR.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by donugapi(m): 12:15pm On Jun 30, 2008
ROTF LMAO

Nigeria - Nuclear programme

What common

Abegi make dem go sleep. Nepa hasn't worked yet. They can't even maintain ordinary road, na nuclear program dem wan do. Abeg them G8 fellas
should go and think about something better like solving the global warming and food crisis facing us, Nigeria nuclear program, Gimme a break
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by donugapi(m): 12:20pm On Jun 30, 2008
tulk2mi:

Make G8 no just siddon look o, make them threaten sanctions with immediate effect. lipsrsealed

They can afford to relax jo, the thing won't even work in the first place.
B4 they start the contractors would collect the money and ja.
The next administration would come and start probing for 5 years, and the ugly cycle continues,
Can never work with the kind of naija that exists now
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 30, 2008
Seun:

They are not afraid that Nigeria will become a world superpower. They are afraid that the project will fail and nuclear materials will end up in criminal hands. Well, what else could possibly happen?

we should be scared of a nigerian chernobyl
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 30, 2008
Before condemning the idea I think we may need to ask why Nigeria would want to have a nuclear programme.

The fact is that if Nigeria wants one with the support of Russia and China, US ( if it will benefit them) and UK ( if US supports it) she can have it. My main concern would be nuclear waste mangement
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by hilli666(m): 2:41pm On Jun 30, 2008
Nigeria a nuclear power!! h, ha, haha, hahahaahahahahaaahah rotflmao, grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Kobojunkie: 2:53pm On Jun 30, 2008
belabela:

Before condemning the idea I think we may need to ask why Nigeria would want to have a nuclear programme.

The fact is that if Nigeria wants one with the support of Russia and China, US ( if it will benefit them) and UK ( if US supports it) she can have it. My main concern would be nuclear waste mangement

I don't think the question is important at this point being that we are in desperate need some efficient form of power supply. The plan is a good one but we are talking of the same country,Nigeria, here.

donugapi:

They can afford to relax jo, the thing won't even work in the first place.
B4 they start the contractors would collect the money and ja.
The next administration would come and start probing for 5 years, and the ugly cycle continues,

Can never work with the kind of naija that exists now

oh boy!!! you don nail am !!! ROFLMAO!!!
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by courage89(m): 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2008
I believe Nigeria needs other source of power generation rather than relying on Hydrocarbon alone. I commend government's initiative for pushing towards nuclear energy and some other form of energy policy. This idea will afford us the opportunity to divest our source of power generation, capitalize on the strategy and improve total power generated within the country to 50,000 mw or more. Also, G8 critiquing our preparedness should be a welcome idea. I know we can do this; we have the human and capital resources to handle this type of technology. This will definitely strengthens what ever preparation they have in place. It is from strong criticism you get the best out of people. I just hope my people are not fronting this idea just to siphon money into their own pocket.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:08pm On Jun 30, 2008
We all know what happened to our first ever space satellite, now we are gearing for the second launch. so why not nuclear power

I think it is a good idea that Nigeria engages in an aggressive nuclear program like other world powers.

so we can
1: drive aimlessly sniffing the acrid air wondering if its good or bad for our health like it did a couple of years back.
2: empower every dis-franchised minority group with nuclear capabilities since i doubt the government seriously thinks of resolving Power issues as propagated in the dailies
3: I sure would like to sell some uranium to some very rich interests in the sudan and middle-east
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Uche2nna(m): 3:17pm On Jun 30, 2008
We cant implement an efficient water collection, treatment and distribution scheme.

We dont have an efficient waste and sewage disposal scheme.

What about NEPA? Pretend it does not exist!!!!!

Roads? Complete death traps.

National telecommunication is National nonsense.

Now we want to try our hands on Nuclear power. Maybe we would succeed at last with that.

Did I hear someone say misplaced priorities?
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by SkyBlue1: 3:30pm On Jun 30, 2008
I hope no one is going to run to blame Yaradua for anything, we aren't even sure if NITEL has reconnected the land line back to Aso Rock. For all we know communication and orders from Aso Rock could at the moment be transmitted by a series of flag sequences. With the added difficulty of the obsolete NEPA aka PHCN making things difficult to see at night the people receiving flag signals could have misinterpreted "The president is in toilet" with "President says start Nuclear programme".
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by cynthya(f): 3:36pm On Jun 30, 2008
Now we want to try our hands on Nuclear power. Maybe we would succeed at last with that.

For where?

Did I hear someone say misplaced priorities? undecided
Absolutely!!!
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by LAKANYE(m): 3:38pm On Jun 30, 2008
Nuclear energy in a country full of mosquitoes and lack of stable electricity?
The Nigerian scientists developing the nuclear energy need to realized that without stable electricity in the country, the project will NEVER manifest.

A NUCLEAR ENERGY IN NIGERIA IS LIKE A THREE YEARS OLD CHILD PLAYING WITH A LOADED GUN.
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by babakuns: 4:29pm On Jun 30, 2008
Nigeria leaders misplaced piority and chase shadow
stupendomoniacracy ideology
bullshit
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by babakuns: 4:37pm On Jun 30, 2008
misplace of piority and chasing shadow
its a stupendomaniacracy things
bullshittttttttth;
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by hilli666(m): 4:56pm On Jun 30, 2008
Still rotflmao, hahahahahaahahahhhahahahahhaha Nigeria Nuclear pppppooower hahaha hahahahahahahh. Wow that why i love Naira Land. You'll hear some of the most hilarious jokes. Nigeria a Nuclear power.  grin grin grin
Nigeria having nuclear energy is like Somalia inventing a Time machine. Or like Osama Bin Laden taking a vacation in Washington DC. Fafafafowl imposicant"
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by Oking1(m): 5:56pm On Jun 30, 2008
this country will never fail to amaze me.common electricity generation and supply,we have not been able to get our acts together and we are talking of a more advanced nuclear power.do we always have dummys in power in this country? Citizens in this country should be more worried about our nuclear power prospects than the G8 because this government is surely on a path to anahilate us with the hazards that will occur if we embark on this foolhardy project and moreover,i am sure its just another avenue for some government officials to steal our money
Re: G8 Worried Over Nigeria's Nuclear Programme by tufe(m): 6:03pm On Jun 30, 2008
O King of Jerusalem cheesy yout vitriolic attacks on this country no be small ooo. i couldnt help but laff after reading ur posts. i called my brother to come and have a good laff too. anyway, every detail you pointed out here isnt far from the truth. infact, i am surprised that the G8 is worried, when we are the ones that shud indeed be worried. i however pray that ur statement "this government is surely on a path to anahilate us with the hazards that will occur if we embark on this foolhardy project " doesmt come to pass ohhhh cheesy.

what we need do is too pray for this country, and for those of us that have goon hearts and intentions, they shud venture into politics.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can You Make N4000 Daily Offline/online. Please Share. / List Of Venture Capital And Private Equity Firms Investing In Nigeria / $35 Billion Foreign Reserve Was Mismanaged - Obasanjo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.