Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,061 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? (651 Views)

FG Gets Report On Planned National Airline / Tinubu Says Planned National Conference Deceptive, Diversionary / Tinubu- Planned National Conference Is Deceptive & Diversionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by kaze4blues(m): 6:15pm On Oct 06, 2013
Few days ago, chief Bola Tinubu came back from the UK and described the proposed national conference by the federal government as defective and diversionary.

Then, a lot of nigerians came out and critizise the comments coming from Tinubu. But these people critisizing tinubu have not really sat down to analysed the claims made by the opposition leader.

While the thought of every nigerian is that a national conference as proposed will help to resolve major issues threatening our existence as a nation, among other national issues, however, nigerians may be disappointed at the end if they realize that the national conference will still leave key issues unresolved even after it is convened.

An average nigerian believes this union called Nigeria is not working again with all her various components in open hostilities against one another. Boko haram is ravaging the north while kidnap kingpins have taken over the south.
Rule of law is often evaded by the elites while the poor are seen as second-placed citizens.

With all these and several other national issues, majority of nigerians believe now is the perfect time to discuss the future of this country and probably end the 53-year old union.

Howver, their desire for this entity called Nigeria to break may be far from actualization. The elites, who assume they 'own' this country have come out several times to voice their support for the continued existence of this country despite the obvious imbalance that is observed in the distribution of wealth which is in their favor. Their call for a united nigeria is however not patriotic but to protect their interests scattered all over the nation.
We have also been made to understand that implementation of resolutions from the planned conference will be subject to deliberation in the national assembly. This tells us that recommendations from the national conference may not be implemented eventually if such recommendations fail to muster the necessary support required for it to be passed at the national assembly.

What this nation needs at this point is a sovereign national conference that will adequately address all issues threatening her existence.
Such a conference will address the perceived no-go areas as agitated by some quarters.
Recommendations from such sovereign national conference must be fully implemented either through referendum or whatever other means.

Until these are put into consideration, any planned national conference excluding the major aspirations of nigerians may indeed deceptive, diversionary and unpatriotic.
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by eye4eye: 6:21pm On Oct 06, 2013
History suggests Jonathan is not sincere about it. If you go by outcome of subsidy scam investigation, unfufilled promises and double standard by Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by Timcy01(m): 8:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
I think its not deceptive rather Tinubu is speaking as a desperate politian not a passionate Nigerian. I want to believe if Jonathan had taking this decision earlier when the call for it was high, this same Tinubu would have said Jonathan is indecisive. We need to look above politics. My opinion sha..
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by wazobia55: 9:22pm On Oct 06, 2013
thank God we now know that its deceptive, this is the reason we should encourage it and ensure it hold , to prove that we can no longer be deiciev agains.

SNC all d way.. jagaban relax !
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by kaze4blues(m): 9:44pm On Oct 06, 2013
Timcy01: I think its not deceptive rather Tinubu is speaking as a desperate politian not a passionate Nigerian. I want to believe if Jonathan had taking this decision earlier when the call for it was high, this same Tinubu would have said Jonathan is indecisive. We need to look above politics. My opinion sha..

But tinubu has once been an advocate of a sovereign national conference.
He only questions why just deem it fit now when it is only months to the next general election.
I think we Nigerians also need to ask important questions so that the rommendations of this proposed conference won't be like those of the past I.e thrown into the dust bin
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by fkaz(m): 10:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
Timcy01: I think its not deceptive rather Tinubu is speaking as a desperate politian not a passionate Nigerian. I want to believe if Jonathan had taking this decision earlier when the call for it was high, this same Tinubu would have said Jonathan is indecisive. We need to look above politics. My opinion sha..

Tinubu is right,

GEJ setting up committee for NATIONAL CONFERENCE is deceptive. Tinubu has always called for SOVIERENT NATIONAL CONFERENCE and not NATIONAL CONFEFERENCE being set up by GEJ. The NC is just a talk show and jamboree, at the end of the whole conference their report will be sent to national assembly for senators to deliberate on the report again and it will end up like petroleum ind. Bill and many other bill lying down at national assembly. So what is the essence of the conference?

Let give sovereignty to the national conference and make it SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE, NO time to waste. We should stop deceiving our self, because it will take another years before senate. we know what we want "SOVERIEGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE" give the people the power to decide, not national assembly this time around.
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by kaze4blues(m): 6:37am On Oct 07, 2013
That is why the OP is correct with his that the planned national conference may indeed be deceptive and diversionary. Our present crop of rulers are not interested in convening a sovereign national conference which will make them abdicate their power to the sovereign committee.

But truth be told, only the elites in this country want this union to continue even when its obvious that things are not actually in place. The reason is not far-fetched but can be accrued to their interests inform of wealth and kind all over the nation. Ordinary Nigerians who constitute the population want this country to split.

Nigerians need to be bold and demand what they desire from their rulers.
The country belongs to all of us!
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by ilaugh1: 6:50am On Oct 07, 2013
They must have a reason to oppose the President.
Re: Is Gej's Planned National Conference Truely Deceptive? by kaze4blues(m): 9:29am On Oct 07, 2013
i_laugh: They must have a reason to oppose the President.

This is not even mere opposing the president. It is about coming together notwithstanding our differences and addressing issues of national relevance.

This is where we need the patriotisms of Nigerians. We can not just sit in our various homes and call for revolution. Indeed some steps should be taken.
The same applies to this issue of national conference.
If we fold our hands and watch things happening without acting, we may end up in worst scenarios because the conference would not achieve its purposes.

(1) (Reply)

What Would Have Been The State Of Nigeria If Mko Abiola Had Ruled As President / Full Preliminary Report On Lagos Plane Crash. / Will Nigeria Qualify For 2018 World Cup?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.