Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. (4315 Views)

Thief Sleeps With His Victim's Daughter In Edo, Gets Arrested / Nigerian Convicted Of Fraud Loses Temper After Appeal Court Adjourned (PICTURED) / Photo: Teenager Arrested For Killing His Friend Over Seat In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by RedHotChic(f): 4:21pm On Jun 30, 2008
Man Convicted of Paying to Have Daughter-In-Law Killed
Friday, June 27, 2008

ATLANTA — A Mississippi businessman born in India was convicted Thursday of plotting to have his black daughter-in-law killed weeks after she wed his son because, prosecutors said, he believed she would bring down the family stock.

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Chiman Rai, 68, on charges that he masterminded the murder of Sparkle Michelle Rai. T[b]he 22-year-old was found strangled with a vacuum cord and stabbed more than a dozen times weeks after her March 2000 wedding to Rai's son, Ricky Rai.[/b]

Jurors, who reached the verdict on the second day of deliberations, found Chiman Rai guilty on seven charges, including felony murder and burglary.

"I'm feeling very much relieved," said Bennet Reid, Sparkle's father, as he blinked through tears. "I feel justice has been served for my granddaughter and for my family. My daughter's not going to come back, but she's smiling now."

Next is the sentencing phase, when the same jury will decide whether Rai should die for his crimes.

Attorneys presented starkly contrasting images of Rai during the eight-day trial.

Prosecutors sought to portray him as a racist who was so upset that Ricky married and fathered a child with Sparkle that he shelled out $10,000 to have her killed. They called Rai's ex-cellmate in the Fulton County Jail to testify that Rai called black people "scum." They also pointed to statements from Ricky Rai, who told investigators after the killing that his father was "a little racist."

Defense attorneys depicted Rai as a hardworking businessman who wanted his son to marry an Indian woman, but was far from a racist. They paraded a steady stream of Rai's black customers and fellow inmates before the jury, and each described Rai as tolerant and compassionate.

Rai's attorneys also reminded the jury that their client taught math at Alcorn State University, a historically black college in Mississippi, and later ran a supermarket in a predominantly black area in Jackson. He also helped buy a hotel in Louisville, Ky., where he made Ricky the general manager in 1998.

Ricky hired Sparkle Reid, an Atlanta native, as a clerk. They started dating in October 1998 and two months later she was pregnant with their daughter Analla. The relationship ended when Sparkle was found dead in her apartment on April 26, 2000. Her 7-month-old daughter was nearby, unharmed.

Investigators found little evidence and the case remained unsolved until two witnesses came forward in 2004, a breakthrough investigators said helped them connect the killing to Chiman Rai.

Prosecutors said Rai teamed up with Willie Fred Evans and Herbert Green to serve as middlemen for the hit squad, and both testified in court they arranged the killing. Both have pleaded guilty to lesser charges and cooperated with prosecutors. They are expected to receive probation.

Prosecutors say the money was passed to brothers Cleveland and Carl Clark and that Cleveland, who also faces the death penalty, carried out the killing.

Defense attorneys contend Evans and Green lied to cover up their role in the killing, which they say had the look of a robbery gone bad. They suggest that Evans and Green plotted the killing, perhaps in pursuit of drug money, and they pounded prosecutors for giving the two a "sweetheart deal" in exchange for their cooperation.

"You could have 100 liars testify to something," said Jack Martin, Rai's attorney. "And it's not worth anything."

After the verdict was read, Rai buried his head in his hands, inches away from a small statue he's had as a good luck charm through most of the trial.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372491,00.html
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by RedHotChic(f): 4:22pm On Jun 30, 2008
Are we black people so cursed that we can also bring down the stock market?
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by Kobojunkie: 5:12pm On Jun 30, 2008
What stock market??
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by SeanT21(f): 5:24pm On Jun 30, 2008
a message to yall low down racist indian bitches. If you dont want to be involved with black People, why didnt you stick yall racist ass in India.

I hope yall ass get the death penalty and you get bleeped in the buttocks by the devil while in HELL.

Only to racist indian people.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by lucabrasi(m): 6:06pm On Jun 30, 2008
i dont think you guys live in the uk or stayed here before,its a normal thing for racial frictions between indians and blacks infact a respected conservative lady mp who is indian said he believed the bnp(our own version of the ku klux klan)were right after all

they say it loud and clear that they will rather kill the girl who brings home a black man of whatever origin and will t least tolerate a white man ,they will not allow an irish as well,the pakistanis are worst, they ll be intentionally rude to you while serving you,call u racial expletives in their punjabi language e.tc
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by RedHotChic(f): 7:42pm On Jun 30, 2008
i don't think you guys live in the uk or stayed here before,its a normal thing for racial frictions between indians and blacks infact a respected conservative lady mp who is indian said he believed the bnp(our own version of the ku klux klan)were right after all

they say it loud and clear that they will rather kill the girl who brings home a black man of whatever origin and will t least tolerate a white man ,they will not allow an irish as well,the pakistanis are worst, they ll be intentionally rude to you while serving you,call u racial expletives in their punjabi language e.tc
Whatever you say, stop racism now!!!!!
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by RedHotChic(f): 7:43pm On Jun 30, 2008
a message to yall low down racist indian bitches. If you don't want to be involved with black People, why didnt you stick yall racist ass in India.

I hope yall ass get the death penalty and you get bleeped in the buttocks by the devil while in HELL.

Indians are not the only racist in the world. Black people are racists and tribalists too.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by RedHotChic(f): 7:44pm On Jun 30, 2008
What stock market??
If he believes her colour is a dent on their lineage, why won't he also believe that she'll bring bad luck on their business empire?
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by Kobojunkie: 11:39pm On Jun 30, 2008
RedHotChic:

There will always be racists out there, of all race, sex and creed.

RedHotChic:

If he believes her colour is a dent on their lineage, why won't he also believe that she'll bring bad luck on their business empire?

well, it is to be expected then. I was under the impression that you were actually referring to the stock market.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by superman(m): 10:25pm On Jul 01, 2008
INDIA LATINO LOVERS

WHERE are they? they all gone quite this time! superman already know that they all bastard and you know it. to the pretenders carry-on till you get shot down, hahhah oloshi-sell-out! what do you know

a message to yall low down racist indian bitches. If you don't want to be involved with black People, why didnt you stick yall racist ass in India.

seanT21 dnt try it, pretender in the making,
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by lucabrasi(m): 3:53pm On Jul 02, 2008
RedHotChic:

why r u directing that at me and whats the pointam i an indian or racist
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by SeanT21(f): 2:25am On Jul 03, 2008
RedHotChic:

Indians are not the only racist in the world. Black people are racists and tribalists too.

Most blacks do racism out of joke. A Black really wont kill a son/daughter because she marry another color.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by CH3COO(m): 2:31am On Jul 03, 2008
SeanT21:

Most blacks do racism out of joke. A Black really wont kill a son/daughter because she marry another color.

What do you mean by out of joke? If you don't understand what funmi said, you better shut up there.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by SeanT21(f): 2:49am On Jul 03, 2008
CH3COO:

What do you mean by out of joke? If you don't understand what funmi said, you better shut up there.

u beter relax.

A Black men will never kill his daughter for getting involved with another color. They will be uptight at first but it will change pretty soon. They will probably make fun of each other over a family dinner and get passed it.

When Blacks make Fun of White, Its just a joking matter. I dont consider that racism.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by CH3COO(m): 2:53am On Jul 03, 2008
Where are you getting your ideas from?  Are you pulling them out of a magic hat of some kind.  i don't see how you can be heavily biased and so factual, yet be purely speculative.

Racists are not particular to the white race alone.  You will learn this when you gain admission to college.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by SeanT21(f): 3:01am On Jul 03, 2008
CH3COO:

Where are you getting your ideas from? Are you pulling them out of a magic hat of some kind. i don't see how you can be heavily biased and so factual, yet be purely speculative.

Racists are not particular to the white race alone. You will learn this when you gain admission to college.

Trust me. I know everyone can be racist. Blacks can be racist too.

I am talking family wise. A Black men will not have problem when a white men marries into a black family.

Do U really think a Black men will kill a white men if he married his daughter? Blacks are racist to an extent.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by CH3COO(m): 3:03am On Jul 03, 2008
I can't trust you. I don't trust anonymity. Some Black people do have problems with their children marrying whites into their family and I can find many examples for you, through google.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by SeanT21(f): 3:09am On Jul 03, 2008
CH3COO:

I can't trust you. I don't trust anonymity. Some Black people do have problems with their children marrying whites into their family and I can find many examples for you, through google.

If it ends up in murder then i rest my case.
Re: Indian Man Convicted Of Killing His Black Daughter In Law Cos Of Her Black Skin. by CH3COO(m): 3:13am On Jul 03, 2008
SeanT21:

If it ends up in murder then i rest my case.
Lol.

(1) (Reply)

Yahoo Boy Cuts Off Girlfriend’s Breast At Dutchman Hotel,uniben / Shocking: 52-year-old Ritualist Caught Sexually Abusing 17 Year Old Boy (photos) / Bad News About Hanks Anuku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.