Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,957 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314370 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 3:30am On Oct 12, 2013
Omg! shocked wow cheesy I Love The Real Hair
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dontgivafuck: 6:56am On Oct 12, 2013
Did u braid in dt pic of your natural hair... It luks like a certain kind of hair attachment

Nice post by the way, keep them coming

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:45am On Oct 12, 2013
Imsovain: Your hair is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing your regimen!

Thank you. It's a pleasure to share. Pls try it out and let me know how it goes.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:50am On Oct 12, 2013
dontgivafuck: Did u braid in dt pic of your natural hair... It luks like a certain kind of hair attachment

Nice post by the way, keep them coming

Thank you. I'm not sure about the pic you mean but the first set of pics with braids is a blowout using a blowdryer. Then I made a single braid.

The second set of pics with free hair is a result of twistouts. I rarely leave my hair in a fro because it dries out faster and breaks off.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dontgivafuck: 9:12am On Oct 12, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Thank you. I'm not sure about the pic you mean but the first set of pics with braids is a blowout using a blowdryer. Then I made a single braid.

The second set of pics with free hair is a result of twistouts. I rarely leave my hair in a fro because it dries out faster and breaks off.
I meant d d second pic n I nw understand y its dt way.
Pls can u give me a list of the products u use for deep conditioning n how long it shld be left, I don't do that b4 sew-in n braids guess I hv to strt doing it.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
dontgivafuck:
I meant d d second pic n I nw understand y its dt way.
Pls can u give me a list of the products u use for deep conditioning n how long it shld be left, I don't do that b4 sew-in n braids guess I hv to strt doing it.

For BuyItYourself deep conditioning,
you may use

Emily Millionaire Coconut and Herbs

Organics Root Stimulator Replenishing conditioner,

Aussie Moist 3 Minutes Deep
Conditioner

Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream

Shea Moisture Hair Mask

For DIY,
You can mix regular conditioner with olive oil/coconut oil , aloe vera and honey.

Apply to dry or damp hair, cove with showercap and leave in for at least 30 mins.
Then rinse out with cold water.

3 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 6:42pm On Oct 12, 2013
I think it'll be fun to do a 'Grow It' challenge using the 'Indian oiling method'. I've noticed less breakage with this method.
What do y'all say?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by rofemiguwa(f): 11:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
I also want to grow my hair,I love urs.I normally retouch every 3months.don't know if that is too soon. Then I shampoo with dudu osun black soap.since I can't get sulphate free shampoo(I don search tire).I deepcondition with jus ORS replenishing conditoner den I rub coconut oil and sheabutter before I fix weaves or braid.I hardly leave my natural hair for more than 2days.its short nape of neck level so packing it is a problem.this is my hair regimen.please can u help me with adjusting it so I can grow and retain lengths.also please wats ACV.thank you dear
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dontgivafuck: 9:33am On Oct 13, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

For BuyItYourself deep conditioning,
you may use

Emily Millionaire Coconut and Herbs

Organics Root Stimulator Replenishing conditioner,

Aussie Moist 3 Minutes Deep
Conditioner

Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream

Shea Moisture Hair Mask

For DIY,
You can mix regular conditioner with olive oil/coconut oil , aloe vera and honey.

Apply to dry or damp hair, cove with showercap and leave in for at least 30 mins.
Then rinse out with cold water.
thanks dearie...

U are doing a very gr8 job here

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 11:21am On Oct 13, 2013
We just need patience in taking care of black hair. I moisturize daily with water and glycerine, apply gentle touch leave-in conditioner and seal with a mixture of coconut and castor oils. I do the inversion method for a week every month.I drink bamboo tea cos its rich in natural silica that is essential for hair strength. I do the carameralization deep conditioning method for my new growth (its a mixture or cornstarch, castor oil,banana, acud vinegar rinse). U can google it for other ingredients

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 11:22am On Oct 13, 2013
I use green tea(to reduce shedding, bamboo tea( to add silica to hair) ,black tea( to reDuce shedding and darken hair)
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 11:29am On Oct 13, 2013
I dnt have money for hair trigger elixir that is mking ppl go gaga. I had to concoct my own. No time. Mixed my cayenne pepper with olive oil,castor oil, onion, moringa, coconut oil, basil, pepper mint oil. Leaving the additives to infuse into the oil. I'll let you guys knw how it turns out during my next wash. ;DI dnt have money for hair trigger elixir that is mking ppl go gaga. I had to concoct my own. No time. Mixed my cayenne pepper with olive oil,castor oil, onion, moringa, coconut oil, basil, pepper mint oil. Leaving the additives to infuse into the oil. I'll let you guys knw how it turns out during my next wash.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Kaffy8910(f): 12:20pm On Oct 13, 2013
[quote author=NappilyNigerian]

My current products are

Shampoo : Keracare Cleansing Cream. It contains shikakai,neem seed oil,amla oil and argan oil. It's really gentle and doesn't strip your scalp or hair. I got this from Twentysix85.com

You can substitute with Creme of Nature sulfate free shampoo or Organics root stimulator creamy aloe shampoo..use diluted and on scalp only.

Conditioner: VO5 Strawberry and Cream conditioner or Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship or ORS Replenishing conditioner (love the fragrance)

Leave In Conditioner: Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream

Oil : Coconut oil, castor oil and palm kernel oil

Seal and styler: NappyGirl Pudding

Hair regimen

I'm currently following the Indian method of haircare to maintain the length of my hair and it's working really well.

Everyday, I apply a light coating of coconut oil to my hair after misting it with water (since I'm natural). If you're relaxed, apply to dry hair.

Then every three days I give my scalp amd edges a light massage with castor oil.

The night before wash day, I'll coat my hair with coconut and palmkernel oil completely saturating it. Then cover with a showercap and a scarf for bed.

On wash day, I'll shampoo with Keracare massaging my scalp then rinse.
Then I'll pour a 1:3 solution of ACV to my hair, wait for 5 mins then apply conditioner and rinse with cold water.

Blot dry with a microfibre towel or T shirt (prevents breakage).

Then I apply coconut oil, then Cantu , then NappyGirl Pudding in that order. If you're relaxed coconut oil to damp hair is fine.

That's it.

Don't do any tight style and always wrap your hair before bed to protect it at night.

If you feel your ends are dry, apply Cantu lightly and seal with coconut

All the listed products are not easy to get. The least of all which is coconut oil has been difficult to get. Pls, where can I get them all. My hair is relaxed, I stopped using weavons, braids etc due to my hair not growing again but which grows very fast in the past and constant hair loss. I got a sulfate free shampoo online by Chaz Dean and start washing my every 2weeks but no changes. I need your help on regimen for relaxed hair and where to get the products to be used. Am expecting your response. Thanks for posting this.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Kaffy8910(f): 2:27pm On Oct 13, 2013
[quote author=Kaffy8910][/quote]
what's acv? I use Dr. miracle's relaxer, wen cleansing conditioner by chaz dean and organics hair mayonnaise for conditioning and lastly palmier coconut conditioner as hair cream, that's all. I have got so many hypes on oils but been unable to get them. The coconut oil I bought smells exactly like oil used to fry coconut, I don't know if its the real deal. Can't find castor oil, amla oil is scarce. Pls, where do you get your hair products from? And I will be glad if you can help with a regimen for relaxed hair. thanks.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 2:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
@kaffy. U can get those products at Casabella in shoprite, Adeniran Ogunsanya. Then coconut oil from agbo (herb) sellers in musin
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 2:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
@kaffy. U can get those products at Casabella in shoprite, Adeniran Ogunsanya. Then coconut oil from agbo (herb) sellers in musin market

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Kaffy8910(f): 4:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
caramel13: @kaffy. U can get those products at Casabella in shoprite, Adeniran Ogunsanya. Then coconut oil from agbo (herb) sellers in musin market

@caramel13, thanks a lot.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Kaffy8910(f): 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2013
caramel13: We just need patience in taking care of black hair. I moisturize daily with water and glycerine, apply gentle touch leave-in conditioner and seal with a mixture of coconut and castor oils. I do the inversion method for a week every month.I drink bamboo tea cos its rich in natural silica that is essential for hair strength. I do the carameralization deep conditioning method for my new growth (its a mixture or cornstarch, castor oil,banana, acud vinegar rinse). U can google it for other ingredients

Even with weaves on?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 5:24pm On Oct 13, 2013
I don't use weavon, cos I feel the chemicals used to process them are harsh on my hair. But to reply your question,I think you should just mist the braids beneath your weavon with a mixture of water and glycerin,then seal with oil. Then do oil scalp massages like thrice a week

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NtahEsther: 12:10am On Oct 14, 2013
ur hair is so beautiful,pls how old is ur hair.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NtahEsther: 12:18am On Oct 14, 2013
i am relaxed but would love to go on the natural , pls what are the steps i should follow
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NtahEsther: 12:32am On Oct 14, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Thank you.
Yes I do use products that are readily available in Nigeria ..... for Do It Yourself (DIY) and for Buy It Yourself (BIY) hair care.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by 99cent: 1:56am On Oct 14, 2013
Nice thread. I love your hair.

I agree that black hair can grow long but I don't agree with the comparison to Asians, Brazilians and Caucasians. If these people followed your regimen, they will have hair almost down to their feet! Their hair just grows naturally fast even when they treat it poorly. it takes them less than 2 yrs to get their hair to ur length with very minimal care. just shampoo and condition. And their ponytail will look even thicker and shinier to boot.

Let's all just admit that most blacks or Africans have a hair texture that's difficult to maintain and grow long. It CAN grow long but the effort and time isn't worth it for most people. What tribe are you from? Even among west Africans, there is some diversity and variety in hair textures such that some people are able to grow their hair more effortlessly ex. fulani vs yoruba/igbo.

Overall, I think that with our hair texture, the best or most efficient state for us to wear our hair is medium/short. But due to the society that we live in that values western ways of beauty ie long, straight hair, we are all putting ourselves through a lot of pain and trouble to conform to these standards that will always elude us.

15 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by cherisskenzy(f): 10:51am On Oct 14, 2013
Plssss! Can green tea and black tea be used at the same time? 2. Is african black soap better than shampoo,I mean for washing hair.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by fatopsy: 8:27am On Oct 16, 2013
lovely hair. I've been thinking of turning my hair back to natural n nw i cn see urs i wld love to. Pls how do i go abt it
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Anniebissy(f): 10:02am On Oct 16, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

I've posted pics of my free hair earlier. Here's a clearer pic. Because my hair is natural and I'm working towards growing it longer, my hair is usually in a protective style.
hw do u expect me to believe dis is ur natural hair,dis look more of a dread to me,so pls when it use for weaving,or adimale

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 12:52am On Oct 17, 2013
@99cent
Please dont let TV/film deceive you every race has women with thick hair, thin hair, hair that doesnt grow beyond their chin.
I see this every day.
What is common across board is that we all all have different curl patterns and just because some curl patterns are coily doesnt equal the fact that long length is not in our genes

@nappilynigerian
nice thread by the way, i'm gonna try the castor oil and acv again
By the way have you lived in different climates and if so how has your regime changed because of this?

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by chidarl85: 2:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
You have nice hair mehn!!! You should eat good food to keep it healthy. Get delicious recipes from http://chichiscuisine..com/ *wink*

Follow me on twitter @chichiscuisiine

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by romania: 6:03pm On Oct 17, 2013
@nappilynigerian and @kaffy, how often do you wash your hair?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by caramel13: 7:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
My home made hair trigger worked. My roots feel so soft

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by babylolaroy(f): 1:03am On Oct 19, 2013
whao! av neva ever heard or seen such a long nigerian hair! its cool yar nd yu r lucky. i ll try ur stuffs within 6months God willing. My hair is d good type too nd its natural. it adapts and i know ds will work for me
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by babylolaroy(f): 1:05am On Oct 19, 2013
sorry to bother the populee buh pls wat is dat Acv and wat is a castor oil. i think castor is a fruit?. wia can i get em all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.