Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,781 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:25 PM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314259 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dynamicbuzz(f): 1:18am On Nov 08, 2013
@op my undergrowth which is about 2 months is extremely coily and I don't like combing my hair often,I just wanna find out if there would be any side effects if I don't comb the roots regularly.....hope it won't turn into locs or get matted?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:44pm On Nov 08, 2013
dynamicbuzz: @op my undergrowth which is about 2 months is extremely coily and I don't like combing my hair often,I just wanna find out if there would be any side effects if I don't comb the roots regularly.....hope it won't turn into locs or get matted?

Since your hair is extremely coily, it may be prone to matting. I guess the reason you don't comb often is because it tangles up and hurts when you do so. Unless your hair is in a protective style or your hair is stretched to reduce tangling, you really need to detangle (with wide tooth comb or fingers) once a week...

To make combing easier, you need to use a detangler prior to combing. Try Braid Release Detangler, Mane and Tail Detangler and Kinky Coily Knot Today. Divide your hair into smaller sections for combing.
To keep your hair stretched so you'll comb less often without fear of matting...you can stretch your roots with threading, braids, twists or gentle heat stretching with blow dryer. You can keep it stretched by bunning, braiding or weaving (cornrows)
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 12:44pm On Nov 08, 2013
Please house, how do I access email on nairaland?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Destinygrl(f): 2:00pm On Nov 08, 2013
Tnks Fr d reply. To read ur nairaland emails chk d email u registered wth on ths webst
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by funkybaby(f): 3:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
@nappily nigerian

please, do you have any hair home recipes that can be made with raw eggs?

any tips of shrinkage and how to handle it?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 09, 2013
And i tink say ma hair long eh! i did the natural thingy for about a year plus and got discouraged(i used to make my hair den,even tho it was terribly painful) hair stylist were scared of my hair, it wasn't sturbborn probably just 2much. Na it i relax d tin, d hair go soon do 3yrs sha... ma regimen, (am quite lazy plus i work) so, onion water, ginger water, palm oil, heated olive oil for massagin of ma scalp, my hand made deep conditioner and leave in conditioner( mayo,egg,African shea butter{ori},honey,yoghurt, curry leaf, coconut oil,aloe,avocado nd oils) i use emily Mill. as hair cream... i dnt use dem al at once o! within a month sha and i no longer make my hair. thank una very much o! learnt a lot... Advice: stay away from salons, dnt use 2much heat or allow it(sun), straining hair styles, pls nd pls dnt make 'em.

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dynamicbuzz(f): 8:08pm On Nov 10, 2013
@op I have another question....I just braided my hair without attachment,is it advisable to shower my hair everyday also while taking my bathe,since they said water equals moisture
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 2:10pm On Nov 11, 2013
Destinygrl :
Tnks Fr d reply. To read ur nairaland emails chk d email u registered wth on ths webst

Thank you!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 2:30pm On Nov 11, 2013
funkybaby: @nappily nigerian

please, do you have any hair home recipes that can be made with raw eggs?

any tips of shrinkage and how to handle it?

1 egg + juice of half lemon + 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix and leave on for 30 mins then rinse.

shrinkage is a natural part of having super coily hair so it's best to work with it. Styles such as kinky twists (without extensions) is really beautiful with shrunken hair.

To reduce shrinkage, try twistouts or braidouts. You can also stretch your hair with thread or medium heat.

another way to stretch your hair is coconut milk and lime treatment...recipe on my blog....you can try but it may not work for your texture.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 2:32pm On Nov 11, 2013
dynamicbuzz: @op I have another question....I just braided my hair without attachment,is it advisable to shower my hair everyday also while taking my bathe,since they said water equals moisture

No, washing your hair daily will make it get fuzzy (old) faster instead try using a water based moisturiser.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 2:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
Hi everyone, there's a natural hair meetup in Lagos and you'll be able to swap hair products and get the herbs you need for the Indian oiling method. Go to www.naturalnigerian.com for more info

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by ruthobaz(f): 3:20pm On Nov 11, 2013
@nappily nigerian,I'd love to go natural but my hair cuts a lot when combing though it grows at a fast rate.As a student,I'd want to know what could be used for my hair,thanks.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:12pm On Nov 11, 2013
ruthobaz: @nappily nigerian,I'd love to go natural but my hair cuts a lot when combing though it grows at a fast rate.As a student,I'd want to know what could be used for my hair,thanks.

What products do you currently use?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by mariM(f): 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2013
You hav e a very long hair,Thanks for sharing. I will try to make my natural hair grow like yours.

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by swtme(f): 7:51pm On Nov 11, 2013
@nappilynigerian I must commend u 4 d great work I really love this.I had long hair just like yours,mine was very full and stubborn even if it was retouched it still looked like a natural hair I hated it then but I didn't av d mind to cut it with scissors but ppl loved my hair except me and d hairdressers, so I started retouching every month to make it less full and refused to use attachments to weave my hair whenever I want to fix weavons,my hair started cutting and became less full and i just loved it d way it was not until Iast 2yrs I did bonding directly to my hair, they used a fake glue and it was time 4 me to lose my hair and most of my hair was pulling away from my scalp,right now I regret ow I treated my hair 'I didn't know what I had until I lost it'.My hair is still long but not as b4 and its looking unhealthy, I av not retouched for 4 months cos its 2 soft and not full and healthy I wish 2 go natural pls what should I do?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Google63(m): 8:13pm On Nov 11, 2013
Are you looking for the best place to buy your wears at a discounted amount? Then SCUUP is the best place for you. Follow the link below and order for your jackets, blazers, shirts, skirts and trousers
http://www.scuupng.com/index.php?aff_id=60
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by ruthobaz(f): 7:37am On Nov 12, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

What products do you currently use?
I've been using ebony relaxers,911 conditioner,can't remember the shampoo product.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by funkybaby(f): 9:28pm On Nov 12, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

1 egg + juice of half lemon + 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix and leave on for 30 mins then rinse.

shrinkage is a natural part of having super coily hair so it's best to work with it. Styles such as kinky twists (without extensions) is really beautiful with shrunken hair.

To reduce shrinkage, try twistouts or braidouts. You can also stretch your hair with thread or medium heat.

another way to stretch your hair is coconut milk and lime treatment...recipe on my blog....you can try but it may not work for your texture.

Thanks. I'll this recipe this weekend.

I think my hair is not long enough for to twist outs and braids outs.

I'll check out your blog for the coconut milk treatment.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by monimine: 12:49pm On Nov 13, 2013
okay please how do I moisturize my hair is relaxed anyway and it breaking seriously or can you please tell me what to do?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by monimine: 2:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
what and what to I need to use to moisturize the hair as well? sorry to boarder you.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by rexbuton: 5:02pm On Nov 13, 2013
Thanks for d info! Since ASUU strike began, i've been mixing my hair cream with alot of indian hemp just to grow it longer... It hasn't really been working, instead I just feel strange and happy everyday

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by biafranqueen: 5:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
NappilyNigerian: Please house, how do I access email on nairaland?
go to your email that you set up account and reply it from there. Thank you for this thread do you have old pics when your hair was shorter, my hair seems to be stuck in a growth rut at my shoulders. I use natural products and protective styles but it has been at my shoulders for one year now sad
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by biafranqueen: 5:19pm On Nov 13, 2013
NappilyNigerian: Hi everyone, there's a natural hair meetup in Lagos and you'll be able to swap hair products and get the herbs you need for the Indian oiling method. Go to www.naturalnigerian.com for more info
. Nice will we meet stylist?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by biafranqueen: 5:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
monimine: okay please how do I moisturize my hair is relaxed anyway and it breaking seriously or can you please tell me what to do?
you should only
relax it twice a year she said, sometimes after a while for different reasons your hair can not stand the chemicals. You should give it a break by wearing a protective style.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by adezjamz(m): 5:31pm On Nov 13, 2013
Wrong place abeg grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 5:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
Can anyone recommend protective styles? I've had braids in for the past 5 months. Like literally back to back and I realize that this is probably not good for my hair 'cause it needs to breathe and "recover" but due to my work environment and time, I don't have a week to let it chill. I was thinking of taking my braids out and getting a wig but I also hear that wigs aren't too good. Then I thought of getting a weave but I'm also scared for my front. It's beginning to break from all the braiding and pulling. Any ideas/recommendations?

Oh and if you are recommended a weave/wig, pls give deets about the kind of weave too cause I honestly don't know the first or last thing about weaves/wigs.

Help a sister out! SOS!!! Gracais!!

Btw, I once tried ACV (diluted) and it changed my hair for worse. Scalp became and remains mad itchy even after a wash. I was pretty upset about and it's not because of lack of oil or moisture. I don't know if ACV works for everyone.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Enedane(f): 5:32pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nice, just started the ACV rinse stuff today and its cool. My hair detangled easily, less hair loss and left it shiny afterwards.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Enedane(f): 5:34pm On Nov 13, 2013
rexbuton: Thanks for d info! Since ASUU strike began, i've been mixing my hair cream with alot of indian hemp just to grow it longer... It hasn't really been working, instead I just feel strange and happy everyday

Lolz, quite funny
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
@NappilyNigerian, I am seriously considering adding ACV to my hair care regimen but I don't know where to fit it in. Normally on my wash days, I pre poo, shampoo, deep condition then style. Where do I fit in the ACV rinse? Before shampooing or what?

Egba girl: Can anyone recommend protective styles? I've had braids in for the past 5 months. Like literally back to back and I realize that this is probably not good for my hair 'cause it needs to breathe and "recover" but due to my work environment and time, I don't have a week to let it chill. I was thinking of taking my braids out and getting a wig but I also hear that wigs aren't too good. Then I thought of getting a weave but I'm also scared for my front. It's beginning to break from all the braiding and pulling. Any ideas/recommendations?

Oh and if you are recommended a weave/wig, pls give deets about the kind of weave too cause I honestly don't know the first or last thing about weaves/wigs.

Help a sister out! SOS!!! Gracais!!

Btw, I once tried ACV (diluted) and it changed my hair for worse. Scalp became and remains mad itchy even after a wash. I was pretty upset about and it's not because of lack of oil or moisture. I don't know if ACV works for everyone.
Exactly what happened to me after I did the black tea rinse. Never went back to it. Which is why I want to try ACV, I heard the rinses reduces shedding which seems to be one of my problems now. I just hope it works or I will be mad.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2013
AdannayaBella: @NappilyNigerian, I am seriously considering adding ACV to my hair care regimen but I don't know where to fit it in. Normally on my wash days, I pre poo, shampoo, deep condition then style. Where do I fit in the ACV rinse? Before shampooing or what?

Exactly what happened to me after I did the black tea rinse. Never went back to it. Which is why I want to try ACV, I heard the rinses reduces shedding which seems to be one of my problems now. I just hope it works or I will be mad.

Yea I guess everybody's hair is different so what works for A might not work for B. According to NN, she does the ACV after shampooing. Check the middle of the front page for her regimen
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 5:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl:

Yea I guess everybody's hair is different so what works for A might not work for B. According to NN, she does the ACV after shampooing. Check the middle of the front page for her regimen
I just saw that, thanks. smiley
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by PetDancer(f): 6:54pm On Nov 13, 2013
Nappily,plz i want to retouch my hair this weekend,and i do use doctor miracle's relaxer.pls i want u to list out tinz i will be doing to my hair from now on,after d retouch this weekend.and my hair easily gets dan druff in it.plz help me,i love ur hair,and would love to grow mine natural frm now on.plz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.