Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey - Fashion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey (314265 Views)

Growing Nigerian Hair Long- Relaxed Or Natural / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / Grow Your Natural Hair Long (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 7:05pm On Nov 13, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

I've posted pics of my free hair earlier. Here's a clearer pic. Because my hair is natural and I'm working towards growing it longer, my hair is usually in a protective style.
enough of d back n side views, front view pls!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by tess22: 7:06pm On Nov 13, 2013
Thank you dear NappilyN, I have been greatly encouraged by your post. I have been thinking of cutting my natural hair due to my laziness. It can be such a stressful thing to cope with! But seeing your post has encouraged me not to give up. I will try some of the products and routines you recommended. I will try and persevere. Thanks again, your hair is beautiful byt he way.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 7:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
Can anyone recommend protective styles? I've had braids in for the past 5 months. Like literally back to back and I realize that this is probably not good for my hair 'cause it needs to breathe and "recover" but due to my work environment and time, I don't have a week to let it chill. I was thinking of taking my braids out and getting a wig but I also hear that wigs aren't too good. Then I thought of getting a weave but I'm also scared for my front. It's beginning to break from all the braiding and pulling. Any ideas/recommendations?

Oh and if you are recommended a weave/wig, pls give deets about the kind of weave too cause I honestly don't know the first or last thing about weaves/wigs.

Help a sister out! SOS!!! Gracais!!

Just in case you missed my cry for help!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by mencer(m): 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2013
Wondering why we love other people and races everything lifestyle hairstyles language at the expense of what God has given us ?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by satellitedaisy: 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
Mine

6 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:28pm On Nov 13, 2013
mariM: You hav e a very long hair,Thanks for sharing. I will try to make my natural hair grow like yours.

You're welcome. Lerrus know how it goes smiley
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:30pm On Nov 13, 2013
tess22: Thank you dear NappilyN, I have been greatly encouraged by your post. I have been thinking of cutting my natural hair due to my laziness. It can be such a stressful thing to cope with! But seeing your post has encouraged me not to give up. I will try some of the products and routines you recommended. I will try and persevere. Thanks again, your hair is beautiful byt he way.

Thank you for your kind words. You encouraged me too! Let's know how it goes smiley
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Mickyboiz: 7:31pm On Nov 13, 2013
@nappy i gt natural coily hair bt wat ar d treatment dat i cn use to maintain d coily? cream or..
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl: Can anyone recommend protective styles? I've had braids in for the past 5 months. Like literally back to back and I realize that this is probably not good for my hair 'cause it needs to breathe and "recover" but due to my work environment and time, I don't have a week to let it chill. I was thinking of taking my braids out and getting a wig but I also hear that wigs aren't too good. Then I thought of getting a weave but I'm also scared for my front. It's beginning to break from all the braiding and pulling. Any ideas/recommendations?

Oh and if you are recommended a weave/wig, pls give deets about the kind of weave too cause I honestly don't know the first or last thing about weaves/wigs.

Hi there, pls send a mail to toyin@twentysix85.com . She'll be able to get you a good quality wig. Let her know what style of wig you like. Personally I prefer a human hair wig because you can change up the look, dye it or curl it. Don't forget to wear a wig cap before putting on the wig. You'll avoid breakage doing that.

Is your hair relaxed or natural?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:42pm On Nov 13, 2013
Soraya_Leticia:
enough of d back n side views, front view pls!

Lol! You can find that on my blog.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
$wtme:
@nappilynigerian I must commend u 4 d great work I really love this.I had long hair just like yours,mine was very full and stubborn even if it was retouched it still looked like a natural hair I hated it then but I didn't av d mind to cut it with scissors but ppl loved my hair except me and d hairdressers, so I started retouching every month to make it less full and refused to use attachments to weave my hair whenever I want to fix weavons,my hair started cutting and became less full and i just loved it d way it was not until Iast 2yrs I did bonding directly to my hair, they used a fake glue and it was time 4 me to lose my hair and most of my hair was pulling away from my scalp,right now I regret ow I treated my hair 'I didn't know what I had until I lost it'.My hair is still long but not as b4 and its looking unhealthy, I av not retouched for 4 months cos its 2 soft and not full and healthy I wish 2 go natural pls what should I do?

As long as you don't stress your hair any further and your roots aren't damaged, your hair will definitely recover.

To go natural, you simply have to stop relaxing your hair.
You need to avoid harsh drying products because they tend to make afro textured hair strong and difficult to manage.

All you need are products that will draw moisture to your hair to keep it soft, supple and growing stronger. I have listed products I use earlier in the thread.
You can also check my blog for recommended products which are good for afrotextured hair (good for relaxed hair too).

For a personalized hair kit, send a mail to nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Hi there, pls send a mail to toyin@twentysix85.com . She'll be able to get you a good quality wig. Let her know what style of wig you like. Personally I prefer a human hair wig because you can change up the look, dye it or curl it. Don't forget to wear a wig cap before putting on the wig. You'll avoid breakage doing that.

Is your hair relaxed or natural?

My hair is natural.

Thank you. I'll get in touch with her. Btw, Can I get regular cornrows with extensions for my wig. Like the type I can wear by itself without the wig.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 13, 2013
Its very refreshing and pleasing to see someone finally promoting Natural hair.....The Op is so right in saying African hair needs different care from their Asian and Caucasian counterparts....reason we shouldn't be using their hair products and even skin products.

Nice one ladies......burn the fake Brazilian hair and rock your natural hair with pride!!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
Mickyboiz: @nappy i gt natural coily hair bt wat ar d treatment dat i cn use to maintain d coily? cream or..

What are you currently using?
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 8:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
engineerd: Its very refreshing and pleasing to see someone finally promoting Natural hair.....The Op is so right in saying African hair needs different care from their Asian and Caucasian counterparts....reason we shouldn't be using their hair products and even skin products.

Nice one ladies......burn the fake Brazilian hair and rock your natural hair with pride!!!!

LOL. Uhm... in case you didnt know, there are many women with natural hair that wear Brazilian weaves.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:12pm On Nov 13, 2013
ruthobaz: I've been using ebony relaxers,911 conditioner,can't remember the shampoo product.

911 conditioner makes a good hair spritz and is light for everyday use. Pour some into a spray bottle (an empty body mist bottle will do) then add a teaspoon of olive or coconut oil and mix.
Use this to moisturise your hair daily and before combing.

Since you're going natural, you won't need the relaxer again.

You'll need to get to get a good shampoo preferably sulfate free. I've listed some at the beginning of the thread.

Then you need a good conditioner.

A combination of these should keep your hair hydrated so it'll stay soft during your transition.

For more, do send a mail to nappilynigeriangirl@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:18pm On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl:

My hair is natural.

Thank you. I'll get in touch with her. Btw, Can I get regular cornrows with extensions for my wig. Like the type I can wear by itself without the wig.

Yes you can but don't let the stylist braid too tight. My hair is fine stranded. To avoid breakage and hairline loss, I tell the stylist to braid a little way with my own hair before putting the extensions in.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 8:21pm On Nov 13, 2013
NappilyNigerian:

Yes you can but don't let the stylist braid too tight. My hair is fine stranded. To avoid breakage and hairline loss, I tell the stylist to braid a little way with my own hair before putting the extensions in.

right right. That makes sense. Thanks! I'll try it out soon. Thank you so much!
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by NappilyNigerian(f): 8:23pm On Nov 13, 2013
mencer: Wondering why we love other people and races everything lifestyle hairstyles language at the expense of what God has given us ?

Lol. Perhaps we just like something different. There are things we have too that other people will give an arm for just because it's 'exotic'.
The only problem is when we think what we have naturally is inferior as against being 'unique'.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Sissie(f): 8:27pm On Nov 13, 2013
It's not very easy getting a sulfate free shampoo, for people who prefer to do DIY like me, you can make your's with black soap, essential oils, coconut/olive oil, it's really nice and it detangles hair too.

Many people complain about strong hair, but it's manageable, it takes time and some care to soften your hair, but when you get the desired result it will be so much worth it.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 13, 2013
Am a guy all I need is how to make my hair darker without dyeing
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 13, 2013
I'm in lv with this thread!
NN, thumbs up!
Thanks for the priceless info.

My hair was very long b4. I cut it and was on low cut for long. Now I've started relaxing it again(shoulder length) but it breaks a lot. When combed it always look frizzy abi fuzzy. What can I use to bring it together pls.
I just want to start afresh but with something I can manage cos no time.
Super dandruff too.(Uses selsun blue and so far so good)
Thanks and thanks.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nifemicutie(f): 8:59pm On Nov 13, 2013
Op i realy love ur hair nd its colour i realy dats my hair...bt dnt u tink being hairy is hereditory
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 9:00pm On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl: Can anyone recommend protective styles? I've had braids in for the past 5 months. Like literally back to back and I realize that this is probably not good for my hair 'cause it needs to breathe and "recover" but due to my work environment and time, I don't have a week to let it chill. I was thinking of taking my braids out and getting a wig but I also hear that wigs aren't too good. Then I thought of getting a weave but I'm also scared for my front. It's beginning to break from all the braiding and pulling. Any ideas/recommendations?

Err...how long is your hair? I can help you out. tongue
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Sissie(f): 9:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
YPP, frizzy hair and dandruff (having the both) is mostly caused by lack of moisture, and/or harsh chemicals, other causes include heat styling, stress, diet etc.

You need to moisturize your hair more often (lots of moisture and oils), if your hair is Frizzy, it also leads to breakage.

Use an anti frizz shampoo or sulfate free shampoo.
Use a deep conditioner ones every week, rinse your hair with ACV, and do not use hot water when shampooing.

You can make a DIY egg and mayonnaise conditioner, use lots of oils (coconut, olive) and water based hair products
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 9:02pm On Nov 13, 2013
shymexx:

Err...how long is your hair? I can help you out. tongue
\

hhahhahaaha No you can't tongue My hair short. I thought you knew this already? lol tongue tongue
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 9:03pm On Nov 13, 2013
The best way to grow nappy hair long is by using weed/ganja in coconut oil.

Don't ask me how I know this, just go look at the rasta's with locks touching the ground!!!

Shalom!! cool

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 9:07pm On Nov 13, 2013
Egba girl: \

hhahhahaaha No you can't tongue My hair short. I thought you knew this already? lol tongue tongue

Just messing about with you. tongue

You need to keep your hair short - you look stunning in afro/fros, trust me.

I prefer that, to be honest. wink tongue
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by dnacrystal: 9:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
@op, I would like to know exactly how long(in inches or cm) your hair is.
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Egbagirl(f): 9:15pm On Nov 13, 2013
shymexx:

Just messing about with you. tongue

You need to keep your hair short - you look stunning in afro/fros, trust me.

I prefer that, to be honest. wink tongue

ahhahahha I will. whatever you say boss wink
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 13, 2013
my dear op,i just had my hair cut cuz i want to keep and grow my hair natural again..i need steps in keeping it clean and healthy..right now i don't even comb or brush it..just don't know what to do with it..
Re: How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey by Sike(m): 9:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
What bout Guys that wanna grow long hair? Applicable??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ankara Styles / Beauty Of Natural Hair Thread :) / stylish kareena kapoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.