Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:33 AM

Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? (58304 Views)

Poll: You'd vote for:

UNILAG: 25% (101 votes)
OAU Ife: 51% (206 votes)
UI: 23% (94 votes)
This poll has ended

OAU-Ife Students Fetch Water From Stream (Pictures) / Man Beaten For Molesting OAU-Ife Student / . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by trappa(m): 7:17pm On Jul 05, 2008
The three schools are ok in terms of education,
But for social life, UNILAG
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by oYaTo(m): 7:51pm On Jul 05, 2008
Last year I applied at PZ. . .

After 2 written tests,

1 essay-writing,

1 online-based test,

2 interviews,

Out of over 1000 applicants. . .

Only 6 of us were left. . .

2 were graduates of Unilag. . .

And 4 were graduates of where

Great Ife Rules!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by sartorius(m): 8:13pm On Jul 05, 2008
Glodmann sachs recently conducted a an internship programme recruiting bright students 23 from africa 7 from nigeria, only 5 were from oau, great ife, went to lag and ife. google it
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by darfur(m): 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2008
abeg unipetrol better pass all those unis grin
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by solazo: 11:12pm On Jul 05, 2008
Yabatech dey read pass all this uni's. abi na lie?
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by laplace(m): 8:43am On Jul 06, 2008
To be very precise, Great Ife stands out among Nigerian universities. I wrote an aptitude test organised by a dream multinational company last year. The test included bright and brilliant graduates or graduates-to-be from all Nigerian universities. Only 10 of us passed, and guess what? 9 were from OAU and 1 from UI.
Let's stop being ignorant of the politics in continental ranking of universities. I know for sure that Great Ife is better that a lot of these universities in South Africa, Ghana, Egypt, Morocco, etc. We need to have informed mindsets.

1 Like

Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by laplace(m): 9:18am On Jul 06, 2008
Sincerely, UNILAG is out of the race. The school is too distracted from the realities of education. I was in UNILAG recently; it was in a mess. The halls of residence, the libraries (especially Akintunde's near MTN library) are worse than dunghills in AWO hall in Great Ife.
However, I would have considered UI for the prize, but for the quality of their graduates. I have seen at least two UI graduates who applied for PhD in Great Ife, but had to re-take MSc. One of them spent seven semesters again re-taking MSc. They even tried. What about so called Akokaites? They don't even think of taking a post grad in Great Ife, except executive MBA. Hmmmmmmmmmnnnn I understand why.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 06, 2008
Uniben is above them all. But we dont announce it.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by jess(f): 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2008
Troynow,
you took the words right out of my mouth. For years now there has been only one university on the top while the others are striving for the second place.
I've heard your suggestions, which is what it is because it's not a fact. My verdict is:

UI - Living in past glory. This isn't the 20th century
OAU - Same although not as bad as the first. They need to sort out their internal issues
UNILAG - undecided I'll get back to you on that later.

UNIBEN has been and will be the best among the best. We've got the best graduates in every field.
The story about 2.2 grads in OAU considered first before 2.1grads from the other universities, is long worn out.
When I was young, i heard the gist, now am , I have seen the tides change.
I respect graduates from the three schools but I know for a fact that when UNIBEN stands the ovation is
loudest. We didn't get voted as the second best university in the Commonwealth for the kind of buildings we
have, but for the kind of brains, infrastructure and research work going on there. For those of you who are not
aware, UNIBEN was the first Nigerian university to start on-line registration. If in doubt, carry out a research.
That's all I have to say for now.
Keep it coming.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by spikedcylinder: 10:16am On Jul 07, 2008
sartorius:

Glodmann sachs recently conducted a an internship programme recruiting bright students 23 from africa 7 from nigeria, only 5 were from oau, great ife, went to lag and ife. google it

Thats true, my friend was one of them. He's been called back for their summer internship sef and he's only 20!!! I'm freaking proud of him.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by lilvonz(m): 10:21am On Jul 07, 2008
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by spikedcylinder: 12:23pm On Jul 07, 2008
lilvonz:

I am too stupid school to go to OAU. Although i'm there, I lack any form of social life and I suck. grin

wink wink
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Danasco(m): 1:22pm On Jul 07, 2008
By your question,Do you  mean that these 3 university are the best in the country?I beg to disagree with you please. What about Nsuka, Maiduguri, BUK, Sokotto ect?
The 3 university u mentioned might be the oldest and one of the best, but certainly not the best. I can bet u with my dignity that other schools like the ones i mentioned are doing well and up to standard. Danfodio university, Sokoto is one of the best unuiversity in Nigeria. In terms of culture, academic discipline, learning environment etc, they posses these in abundance.
If u doubt me, please take a trip and see for yourself. You may want to say i schooled there. No, never, and far from that.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 4:13pm On Jul 07, 2008
people are talking and Uniben too dey talk?
see wahala. . .na cultism and rape we dey talk about?
go siddon and shoot ur Gun. na Ekpoma be ur mate

@Skyone
Newcastle is 29 in the UK on research excellence.
the point is u cant compare OAU with the schools in the UK. The last time i checked, Cradiff has spent close to 106million GBP to improve on the standard of the infrastructures in the school. a certain school in Texas got close to a billion dollars in grants/donations. how can u compare such schools with any school in 9ja?

the fact is all sectors in 9ja are never up to standards we see in the outside world. Education is not in isolation
Der are no good roads, no water, no power, no adequate health care facilities, banks are capitalised to the tune of N25billion naira!!!, do u know how much Goldman sachs is worth?, and so on

this discourse is to celebrate what we have got; i for once will still doff my hats for the products of OAU for the oustanding feats we record in the labour market.
Nyways, i got ur point, the govt need to do more if we are to measure up with what obtains abroad.
all hope is not lost sha
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by amaechijay: 4:54pm On Jul 07, 2008
UI 4 knowlegde (1st choice)

Unilag 4 class (2nd choice)

OAU never!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by oYaTo(m): 5:03pm On Jul 07, 2008
"Mr. Adebayo Jimoh disclosed that the purpose of the visit was to award scholarship to the forty-four (44) brilliant undergraduates of the Institution, who out-classed their colleagues from other Universities across the south-west in the qualifying tests conducted by erudite scholars hired by the organization to screen applicants for the scholarship."

"He said OAU has the highest number of beneficiaries in the roll of two hundred (200) successful undergraduates who qualified for the scholarship. This, according to him, is an indication that OAU is sustaining the reputable qualities of yester-years that it is known for. "

http://www.oauife.edu.ng/
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Richard123(m): 5:17pm On Jul 07, 2008
My brothers, how can u be comparing OAU with other schools.Apart from the strike thing.OAU is the best in Nigeria.Its obvious, Go and see how students abroad are faring, they will tell you that OAU students are too much.They are simply Pace setters not to talk of how they are doing in Nigeria.Majority of the CEO of companies in Nigeria had their undergraduate degree in OAU.OAU first, Others follow
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by gigabytes: 5:29pm On Jul 07, 2008
@tkb417 Unilag is 10000000% better in accademics and others. Can you look at your spelling? "their" instead of "there"

It speaks for itself.

Greatesttttttt Akokaites
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by dayokanu(m): 9:04pm On Jul 07, 2008
I really dont want to join this discussion cos I am a related party. But when you get to Unilag, It never looks like an academic environment. Its like a gathering of Yahoo boys and overgrowns baby girls.

Lil wonder Ife students always excel anywhere they go
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by innovative: 10:04pm On Jul 07, 2008
I have been following this thread for sometime and what I discovered is that most people that have violated the rule of this thread are from Ife. We've read of how brilliant they are, how sharp they are but I think a brilliant graduate should read instructions/rules before answering questions or expressing opinion. So why are our brilliant Ife grads blowing their trumpets in ridicule of themselves. Remember, people's opinion about you counts more than yours. So if the world says you are great, then you are; not until you say it by yourself.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by kobomoje(m): 3:33am On Jul 08, 2008
1. Great Ife
2. UI
3. Unilag
I lived a balanced life while i was @ OAU- (Academic, Spiritual, Social).
I cant shout, lipsrsealed
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 08, 2008
innovative:

I have been following this thread for sometime and what I discovered is that most people that have violated the rule of this thread are from Ife. We've read of how brilliant they are, how sharp they are but I think a brilliant graduate should read instructions/rules before answering questions or expressing opinion. So why are our brilliant Ife grads blowing their trumpets in ridicule of themselves. Remember, people's opinion about you counts more than yours. So if the world says you are great, then you are; not until you say it by yourself.
Good post if done with sincerity,but if done out of envy, na u sabi.
That said,even most of the neutral posters went for Ife. Ife rules!!! Look up and see the margin now,Ife no dey carry last. Anywhere,anytime,OAU shines!!!

tkb417:

people are talking and Uniben too dey talk?
see wahalana cultism and rape we dey talk about?
go siddon and shoot your Gun. na Ekpoma be your mate

I don't think it's out of place for Benin too to talk. I respect them as well,even though I belong to the school of thought that believe IT'S EITHER IFE,LAG,UI OR I STAY AT HOME.
Webometric rating has given them gut.

Danasco:

By your question,Do you mean that these 3 university are the best in the country?I beg to disagree with you please. What about Nsuka, Maiduguri, BUK, Sokotto ect?
The 3 university u mentioned might be the oldest and one of the best, but certainly not the best. I can bet u with my dignity that other schools like the ones i mentioned are doing well and up to standard. Danfodio university, Sokoto is one of the best unuiversity in Nigeria. In terms of culture, academic discipline, learning environment etc, they posses these in abundance.
If u doubt me, please take a trip and see for yourself. You may want to say i schooled there. No, never, and far from that.

I finished serving in Sokoto few months ago and I spent almost the whole of my service year in Sokoto campus(mostly City campus). I had interactions with a lot of Sokoto university undergraduate and PG students. I knew virtually everybody in their Medical school,with the exception of those in clinicals. I was preparing for my ICAN then,so I used to go to their city(Medical)campus to read,and I was so popular that,if not because I don't want to mention my real name on nairaland,I would have said you should go to their city campus and ask of me,and I'm sure 70% of the students know me. That was the extent to which I mixed with them.I still call some of them on phone even till today.

But oga,comparing Sokoto University to Ife, is comparison abuse.I will not say insult.
That is talking about quality of students and graduates,academic standard and international recognition.Sokoto university is not even rated in webometric world university rating. Don't be surprised if you go to a place like Lagos and you tell somebody you finished from Danfodio University,and you are told: where is that? I have never heard of that school before?
However I must say I met few students that stand out. An example is one of my friends,Abdul,also a nairalander. This guy can stand any Ife undergrad anytime.I have never met a Hausa boy that versatile,informed and versed. He is part 4 Vet. Medicine student.

However, I will agree with you if you give Sokoto varsity first in terms of peace and morals.
The school prides itself as Nigeria's most peaceful university,and I,being an Ife grad,dare not challenge them.
Also, in terms of morals, I will rate the school high.I'm a Muslim(a moralist too) and the school is really trying in terms of preservation of morals.

But ranking Sokoto varsity in the same class with Ife,Lag and UI in terms of academic standard, is ASSOCIATION(or is it patriotism?) taken too far.
lilvonz:

oau is a stupid school to go. Although i'm there, we lack any form of social life and we suck. grin

Ogbeni, it has been said over and over again that social life is just average in Ife. If you prioritize Social life ahead of academic excellence and standard,better go to Unilag.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by tkb417(m): 9:39am On Jul 08, 2008
@Gigabytes
i just dey laff here!!!
spelling error from me? hehehehehehe
have u heard of the word cliches before? (Its like a trite or an informal use of a word/expression in an informal setting)

guy, u need to shine your eye and pick on your match
I wrote DER, not THIER NOT THERE
its just like writing Laff instead of Laugh
thats what they call CLICHES

nice one!! im game to school u Akokites anytime, anyday!!!
u never jam!

IFE ALL THE WAY!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2008
Before I pass my comment, let me say that this is one of the most interesting threads av seen. I also agree with/ found the following posts very Interesting.

Unilag products,I must admit,are very sharp and well-informed. I'm currently working in one of Nigeria's most respected oil companies,and I had worked in an investment banking institution before,and I must admit that Unilag products I have met are very sharp,exposed and well-informed,although they may not as brilliant as those of us from Ife and other schools.

If I'm to go for undergraduate study again,I'll choose Ife again,but If masters,I think Unilag will do for me,even though I don't plan to do my masters in Nigeria.

In Interviews however,I think Unilag grads perform better,due to their sharpness,exposure and information. Also here,I think interviewers respect Ife grads.The DMD of IBTC,Sola David Borha,while interviewing me, was alarmed when she knew I finished from Ife

Unilag is the best amongst them, it's standard of entry is the highest,it really strikes,and it mixes education & social skills making the student better equipped for the outside world. The only thing UI & OAU has on it is better buildings & structures,  But i really don't think that's what a student wants to eat

I think all the contributions have been useful. Without prejudice, I must say that the reason OAU is top on the polls reveals to us the kind of graduates that come outta there – usually loud, noisy, and always finding argument. They are mainly the ones who have so much time to spend on forums like this.

Unilag products I have met are very sharp,exposed and well-informed,although they may not as brilliant as those of us from Ife and other schools.

You simply feel Unilag students are not as brilliant because of the places U’ve been to. Recently for a Total-Elf scholarship award for Postgraduate Study abroad, 60 engineers/geoscientists were tested, We were only 4 from Unilag. After the test that same day, 14 people were shortlisted for interviews, the 4 of us were among. After the Interviews some weeks later, 7 ppl were offered the scholarship, the 4 of us were still among.

If I'm to go for undergraduate study again,I'll choose Ife again,but If masters,I think Unilag will do for me,even though I don't plan to do my masters in Nigeria.
I don’t understand why you now want to go to Unilag for your masters? Do you now see the need to be sharp, exposed and well-informed besides being brilliant?

In Interviews however,I think Unilag grads perform better,due to their sharpness,exposure and information. Also here,I think interviewers respect Ife grads.The DMD of IBTC,Sola David Borha,while interviewing me, was alarmed when she knew I finished from Ife
Interviewers also respect Unilag Grads. I have gotten two job offers in the past with KPMG and Schlumberger. My interviewers were “not alarmed” when they realized I went to the same Unilag with them. It was just a regular thing for them.

My people, abeg sharp up and send your kids to good schools Oh.

1. For all-rounded, exposed, sharp and intelligent kids who will top their class both in academics and socials, send them to UNILAG.
2. For brilliant and lousy kids who take pride in the beautiful structures in their school, and do ALUTA daily, send them to OAU.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by nature05: 7:11pm On Jul 08, 2008
talking of the best university in nigeria UI is the best as far as i am concern.But talking of the university with best structure OAU is the best,UNILAG is out of it.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by justme3(m): 9:56pm On Jul 08, 2008
Unilag's Faculties of Law and Business Adminstration are definitely tops. Unilag is the best.

OAU is just a mediocre school where everyone makes life difficult for themselves.

Is UI on the charts?
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by jewelking(m): 11:41pm On Jul 08, 2008
Take it or u leave it, UI is d best, at least d first set of cultists (Emeritus Prof. Awe) were produced, d first student activist( Kunle Adepeju) ever in 9ja to be felled by police bullet, d first professor of organic chemistry in Africa is frm UI, another Prof that taught a Prof from 100Level, and over 200 other Professors sef, 7.0CGPA no be yam o, u go read out ur brain. d only school Pastor Adeboye held a revival and over 20 big trees fell after a heavy rain and enuf holy ghost fire, lol

to be candid UI edu system is like a mirror, what u get is what u see, no beef no partial, but u go read o

i cant even count sef go to Kenneth Dike library for more info, d biggest one in 9ja, its in UI o!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by TCann(m): 4:25am On Jul 09, 2008
Cant believe I could be drawn into this 'oau is better,u.i is d best' argument! it has always been and 4eva will it be, but i just av to drop a few lines inspite of myself.my lines are to inform the distinguished house on lastest info that seem so obviously lacking in the assessment of commentators.As a product U.I,the rule is dat am not accorded an audience on d issue,but really,it laughable when people seem to have a very thin info about lastest happenings in that ivory tower,u hear such things about old profs,dilapitated structures cos going by their deductions,since U.I is 60 thereabout,it shd have dotting acoss its landscape,almost collapsing buildings.ok lets set the records straight heresadthis info is as at july 2008)

-itc infracture is fully operational in d shl,just like oau,hotspot facility,for staff and students alike,3 ict resource centres(cybercentres) with about 50 systems a piece in each.
-hostel facilities fully functional,i mean shower running almost thruout the day on topmost floor,flushing toilets,lights,renovated structures every session ending.
-depts having a minimum of 3 world renowed profs(confirm it by googling for example, profs of economics from university of ibadan)
-superb road network(starting from d oduduwa road all d way 2the mainbowl behind awo hall) and neat green environment.if u happen to be in ibadan,spare time to take a drive through d campus.
-ongoing research in several depts in collabo with top institutes in d world.
-lib(deptal lib with internet facilities and PCs)
-mgt/shl population relations as in for everything that happen weekly in the uni,the shl publish bulletines to that effect(its been on b4 i entered UI and its still on till now)
-responsive 24 hr security service(ask any UI person about 'ABEFELE',u'll get to know more about what am saying)
-on academic standards,u cant patch it along in UI,is either u float or flow out of the system(ask again about the sessional 'TSUNAMI BOOKLET).with due respect to those that did their secondary shl in lag,am using them as an example here cos they re the worst hit yearly:they think UI is like O, , where u can get anything done,so they end up socialising their 1st yr away,and UI show them d way out.Also u CANT RUNZ anything on admission in UI to a large extent,little can your uncle Prof do to help u enter,I for one,and so many of my colleagues,recieve our admission letter right on our doorpost at home.

The problem with most people is that they have limited infomation about the school,partially because they didnt have any cause to visit d shl(admission criteria is stiff b4 i got admitted in 2000,& its still is) so admission that would have made them visit the shl in d 1st instance,is stacked in d odds against them,to make d matter worse,U.I students and grads will typically not defend the shl,WHY-res ipsa loquitor:the thing speaks for itself,they will tell u,it's no use,facts are facts about the shl any day.I bet, many UI students&grads are reading along the proceedings,but they wont shout,as oau pple would typically.
I rest my case
with luv, LL.B(U.I) Nig Law Shl,Abuja.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by ofurufu(m): 10:56am On Jul 09, 2008
When I started this thread,I never knew it was going to become this popular. I was even surprised to see it pushed to the home page.

Anyway it has been very interesting and a lot of facts(and little fabrications!) were exposed. We have seen logical arguments,bitter admissions and submissions,real and cooked statistics, etc.

I'm a public affairs analyst and I've learnt alot here. Although the outcome may not be scientific, I believe the finding is still relevant and I may quote it in my future analyses/write-ups(something like, OAU students,arguably Nigeria's proudest and most bragful students, )

The hotly debated thread is declining in patronage and permit me to draw the following(half-scientific) revelations from the foregoing debate:
-OAU is arguably Nigeria's most respected university(has the highest votes,even non-OAU people voted for it)
-UNILAG unarguably leads the pack in terms of social life
-The three schools,alongside UNIBEN(as many other posters acknowledged),arguably lead the comity of Universities in Nig.
-The superiority battle between the three schools has existed for long, and may continue to be
-Ife students and grads are Nigeria's proudest,most bragful and most intimidating
-OAU leads in terms of structure(unanimously agreed--one funny guy even said he'll get a permanent house on OAU campus to be living forever when he returns to Nigeria)
-A lot of respondents believe Unilag is not in the same class with these schools,and,insultingly,asked that it be removed from the list.
-Academics Hmmm, UI and OAU shared the votes here. The outcome of the poll,where OAU led by wide margin,I believe, is an indication of RESPECT, which in addition to ACADEMICS, contains many other things like conducive learning environment,structure etc. So I have used the outcome of the poll to name OAU Nigeria's most respected Uni, but not necessarily the best in academics. A lot of people,in their posts,acknowledged UI for academic excellence too. It's a pity I can't count one by one the posts, but let me say its between Ife and UI
-Another finding: The fact that Unilag students are highly socially inclined does not mean they are poor academically.Even some posters from other schools acknowledged that Unilag also has quality products

Please do not hesitate to pick holes in my conclusions. Enjoy!!!
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by Gbosko: 11:50am On Jul 09, 2008
@Server 33,

"I think all the contributions have been useful. Without prejudice, I must say that the reason OAU is top on the polls reveals to us the kind of graduates that come out of there – usually loud, noisy, and always finding argument. They are mainly the ones who have so much time to spend on forums like this, "

The length of your meaningless rigmarole speaks volumes about how much productive time some graduates waste " on forums like this" Also, ain't sure exactly what you're driving at with all that bunch of crap in your verbose write up.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by puyaca(m): 12:16pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ife-eco-06 .Great Ife.Hey!where on heart is Ahmed Shittu.?U actually did justice in your analysis.Ife's indeed a great school ,u'll know it when u get out.It was stressful ,but its worth it.I think we should start a tread for only OAU students.OAU.(Oba Awon Univeristy)NUMERO UNO.
Re: Unilag vs OAU-Ife vs UI? by elphem(m): 12:59pm On Jul 09, 2008
The rule of thought is that everyone justifies his reasoning with respect to how it affects us directly or indirectly. We also base our justification on our paradigm, so most times our conclusion is flawed with some inherent errors.

I school in OAU and have a good feel of the school and wont compromise Ife with any school, therefore i say Ife is the greatest school in Nigeria.

On the other hand, lets assume i am schooling in UI, ? What do u think would have been my comment

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

JAMB 2017 UTME 13th May - Live Update / The Ancient Pyramids - I Know How It Was Built, Why It Was Built, Who Built It. / See Snake That Was Killed This Afternoon At The Front Of AAUA SENATE BUILDING

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.