Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos - Events (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos (31175 Views)

See Our 11 Plasma Tvs Set Up @ NOV Event, Intercontinental Hotel, Lagos / Grand Opening Of The Largest Single Building in Lagos State.“Rock Cathedral” / Celebrate With Ciroc At The Opening Of The All New Deuces&launch Of Ciroc Lounge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by crisycent: 6:13pm On Oct 09, 2013
@op....na u be the camera man wen cover the event? undecided
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 09, 2013
naptu2:

What makes a hotel a 5 star hotel is the rating it gets from recognised rating agencies, based on set criteria.

The Lagos State Government has set up a committee to set standards and rate hotels in the state. It hasn't completed its work (to the best of my knowledge).

Many foreign rating agencies rate Nigerian hotels like Transcorp Hilton, Eko Hotel, Sheraton Abuja, etc as 4 star hotels.
So Nigeria has no 4 star hotels? Kenya has at least 12 in Nairobi alone and and a couple in Mombasa too.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 09, 2013
Cajetan speaks: Just listen to yourself, "foreign rating agencies" my foot(bunch of racists), how many of them have visited Nigeria before?.. Transcorp Hilton and Sheraton are world class and just a few hotels around the world world are better in terms of services these hotels render.

I dont think there is any Sheraton in Africa that is 5 star
As for Hilton only the Durban and Nairobi Hiltons are 5 star in Africa.Apparently the Cairo one was downgraded.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Cleanman(m): 6:26pm On Oct 09, 2013
GERALD710:
I dont think there is any Sheraton in Africa that is 5 star
As for Hilton only the Durban and Nairobi Hiltons are 5 star in Africa.Apparently the Cairo one was downgraded.
where dis one drop from?. ...lampard or wetin u call yaself? Eko ile akete,ilu ogbon aromisa legbelegbe. eko ni baje lai lai oo..
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by victokafor(m): 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
AAHHHh another HOSTEL for POLITHIEFIANS!!!!
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Beey(f): 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2013
Mmmmh,looks just like the Nairobi Intercontinental.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by hustla(m): 10:16pm On Oct 09, 2013
What should I now do?
Hug tree?

A beg make I no vex o
undecided
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 10:20pm On Oct 09, 2013
[size=15pt]if you are a Nairalander you have no business going to dis hotel, dis hotel have no business with your association of unemployed people.dont even ask me for the cost of 1night in dis hotel cos if you know, it will annoy you.[/size]
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by hustla(m): 10:28pm On Oct 09, 2013
googlepikin: [size=15pt]if you are a Nairalander you have no business going to dis hotel, dis hotel have no business with your association of unemployed people.dont even ask me for the cost of 1night in dis hotel cos if you know, it will annoy you.[/size]

Google pikin y u mumu?

You dey try too hard to be mumu
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Justeenaleo(f): 10:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
Abeg are they hiring workers make we rush go,ASUU na old story,na work sure pass now oo...OP inform us if dey r hiring.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by PapaBrowne(m): 12:50am On Oct 10, 2013
This hotel is nicer on the outside than on the inside.
I saw some interiors of the hotel and wasn't too impressed.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 10, 2013
Awesome.. Nice like seriously its amazing. My observation.. Those papas dress well better than all the American wannabe Nigerian artist em, everyone of them male and female dressed really sharp and clean. I hate Lagos but I will definitely lodge there someday

I hope all those albinos, chinkos, Indians and blah paid $6,000 bond. .
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Gabreal1(m): 1:19am On Oct 10, 2013
Ak4ril:

Yea, its d first 5 star hotel in Nigeria.......u can confirm elsewhere
Mumu, what about Federal palace, sheraton lagos, sheraton abuja, and many more, First koh.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 3:01am On Oct 10, 2013
Cajetan speaks: Just listen to yourself, "foreign rating agencies" my foot(bunch of racists), how many of them have visited Nigeria before?.. Transcorp Hilton and Sheraton are world class and just a few hotels around the world world are better in terms of services these hotels render.

Don't mind these mindless fools talking rubbish. I've been to several ''5 star hotels'' in the US and the UK that are WORSE than Hilton Abuja in terms of everything you care to mention. And yet some fool will come and tell me that our Hilton and Sheraton etc are ''four star'' because they were so rated by some '''foreign agencies''. In fact we have serious problems in this country.

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 3:04am On Oct 10, 2013
ti-ebe:

please o! dnt fall my hand o! shera-who and transcorp-who are world class wetin? please, travel about a bit more. the hotels you've just listed are rubbing shoulders with the holiday inns and the premier inns of the world. these hotels r just standard hotels in other countries. when u stay in a proper 5 star hotel, or a proper sheraton outside Nigeria, then you'll know wetin de sup.

Abeg fcu.k off with that shiit. I stayed in Sheraton NEW YORK just two years ago, and there was absolutely no big deal about the place. Even the waiters in the bar were slow and rude. The rooms were small, and the view was crap. Abeg make we hear something. Inferiority complex na im dey kill una.

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by ModestSam(m): 8:09am On Oct 10, 2013
Ak4ril:

Yea, its d first 5 star hotel in Nigeria.......u can confirm elsewhere
you're misinformed my dear, there are many 5 star hotels in Nigeria, just down the road from ur Intercontinental hotel, try Radisson Blu.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by 0monnakoda: 8:11am On Oct 10, 2013
Eees not 5 star.There are no 5 star hotels in Nigeria
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by naptu2: 9:28am On Oct 10, 2013
Some people still don't get it. "5 Star" is a specific classification given by certain agencies. If you say a hotel is 5 star, then you should be able to show us the agency that has classified it as a 5 star hotel.

This is not a judgement about which hotel is better than which or what your opinion is.

A boxer might be better than Klitschko, but that does not make that boxer the heavyweight champion. In order to assert that a boxer is the heavyweight champion, you need to tell us which governing/sanctioning body gave him that title.

So, all I'm asking is that you show us the agency that has certified these hotels as 5 star hotels. That's all.

3 Likes

Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by naptu2: 9:32am On Oct 10, 2013
[size=14pt]Hotel rating[/size]

Hotel ratings are often used to classify hotels according to their quality. The development of the concept of hotel rating and its associated definitions display strong parallels. From the initial purpose of informing travellers on basic facilities that can be expected, the objectives of hotel rating has expanded into a focus on the hotel experience as a whole.[1] Today the terms 'grading', 'rating', and 'classification' are used to generally refer to the same concept, that is to categorize hotels, mostly using stars as a symbol

There are a wide variety of rating schemes used by different organizations around the world. Many have a system involving stars, with a greater number of stars indicating greater luxury. Forbes Travel Guide⁠, formerly Mobil Travel Guide, launched its star rating system in 1958. The AAA and their affiliated bodies use diamonds instead of stars to express hotel and restaurant ratings levels.

Food services, entertainment, view, room variations such as size and additional amenities, spas and fitness centers, ease of access and location may be considered in establishing a standard. Hotels are independently assessed in traditional systems and rest heavily on the facilities provided. Some consider this disadvantageous to smaller hotels whose quality of accommodation could fall into one class but the lack of an item such as an elevator would prevent it from reaching a higher categorization.[2]

In recent years hotel rating systems have also been criticised by some who argue that the rating criteria for such systems are overly complex and difficult for laypersons to understand. It has been suggested that the lack of a unified global system for rating hotels may also undermine the usability of such schemes.

Standards of hotel classification

The more common classification systems include "star" rating, letter grading, from "A" to "F", diamond or simply a "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory" footnote to accommodation such as hostels and motels. Systems using terms such as Deluxe/Luxury, First Class/Superior, Tourist Class/Standard, and Budget Class/Economy are more widely accepted as hotel types, rather than hotel standards.

Some countries have rating by a single public standard — Belgium, Denmark, Greece, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Hungary have laws defining the hotel rating. In Germany, Austria and Switzerland, the rating is defined by the respective hotel industry association using a five-star system — the German classifications are Tourist (*), Standard (**), Comfort (***), First Class (****) and Luxury (*****), with the mark "Superior" to flag extras beyond the minimum defined in the standard. The Swiss hotel rating was the first non-government formal hotel classification beginning in 1979[3] It did influence the hotel classification in Austria and Germany.[3] The formal hotel classification of the DEHOGA (German Hotel and Restaurant Association) started on August 1, 1996 and proved very successful with 80% of guests citing the hotel stars as the main criteria in hotel selection.[4] This implementation influenced the creation of a common European Hotelstars rating system that started in 2010 (see below).

In France, the rating is defined by the public tourist board of the department using a four-star system (plus "L" for Luxus) which has changed to a five-star system from 2009 on. In South Africa and Namibia, the Tourist Grading Council of South Africa has strict rules for a hotel types granting up to 5 stars.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_rating
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by naptu2: 9:36am On Oct 10, 2013
[size=14pt]Fashola inaugurates committees to grade Lagos hotels[/size] 

Published on July 29, 2013 by

The Lagos state government has set up two committees to assess hotel facilities in the state and advise government on how to improve them.

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), who inaugurated the committees for the grading and certification of hotels and hospitality facilities as well as for hearing and addressing grievances arising from the exercise saw the constitution of the committees as a positive step in re-energizing the industry.

The main Committee, Hotels Grading and Certification Committee, headed by Larry Segun-lean, is to grade and certify the hotels in terms of their standards as one, two, three, four or five star hotels while the second committee, the Appeal Committee, chaired by Mr. Gbolahan Elias, is to hear appeals and address complaints arising from the exercise.

In his remarks before inaugurating the two Committees, Governor Fashola said the decision of Government was informed by the need to create jobs through the proper grading and classification of hotels in the State pointing out that when properly graded and classified, the hospitality industry would the better for it as more tourists would be attracted to them thereby creating jobs for both practitioners and related industries.

Governor Fashola, who noted that the State has seen very rapid development in hotels and other hospitality facilities in the last six years, said this has happened as a result of deliberate Government policies aimed at expanding the economic frontiers of the State.

Apparently making reference to the recent Supreme Court Judgment which validated the Hotel Licensing Law of Lagos State as Amended and the Hotel Occupancy and Restaurant Consumption Law of the State, Governor Fashola declared, “It was clearly unacceptable for another arm of government or another tier of government to seek, as it were, to regulate an industry it did not help to build”.

“And for us, there is a longer story here, there is a bigger journey here, there is a larger dream here; to open up an economy that can create employment. Tourism and Hospitality in many parts of Africa are big sources of employment, job creation and earnings in terms of revenue strings”, the Governor said adding regrettably that “because the administrative regime was, at the best, unclear and at the worst really in disarray and because operators did not know which government it was safe to deal with, the industry has not grown to expectation.

Acknowledging that tourism traffic in Lagos has increased, Governor Fashola who put the number of visitors to Lagos last year at 2.2 million “by the ranking of a major financial service solution”, said even though that figure made Lagos the second most visited city in Africa, it was nothing compared to Dubai which, according to him, “was receiving close to 20, 30 million visitors”.

“Now, this is a larger market than Dubai in terms of population. Now, Egypt and some other parts of Africa, Mali, Timbuktu are in crisis and, as sad as it may be, they provide opportunities for us to take the tourism business. Tourists are not going there but where are they going? Are we responding or are we just twitting our tongues”, the Governor asked.

Expressing confidence that the Committees would do a good job, the Governor declared, “We can from now begin to properly classify our hotels the way that we have the privilege to choose the hotel we want to go to even before we travel out of the country. We expect that the same thing will happen here once all of the hotels are properly graded and put on the websites of the hotels themselves and with the Ministry and all of that; and that can only embolden tourists to now say, ‘oh they now have properly graded hotels, let’s go there’. They are taking the right steps”.

Governor Fashola urged members of the committees “to act in the best interest of the citizens that we serve, in the best interest of the State and to ensure that whatever personal interest that you acquire does not conflict with your official positions; because you will be assessors and judges more or less and that you discharge this responsibility with the fullest candor and integrity which has informed our choice of you”.

Responding on behalf of the two Committees, one of the members, Mr. Dele Momodu, thanked the Governor and the State Government for the opportunity to serve the people saying they were pleased to serve “because if a government is doing very well, it is for us all to give our support to it”.

Also present at the occasion were the Deputy Governor, Adejoke Orelope Adefulire, Secretary to the State Government, Dr. (Mrs.) Oluranti Adebule, Chief of Staff Mr. Lanre Babalola, Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Ade Ipaiye, Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, Commissioner for Commerce and Industry, Mrs. Sola Oworu, Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Lateef Ibirogba and Commissioner for Tourism and Inter-Governmental Relations, Mr.Disu Holloway among other members of the State Executive Council as well as other top government functionaries.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/07/29/fashola-inaugurates-committees-to-grade-lagos-hotels/
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 10, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Don't mind these mindless fools talking rubbish. I've been to several ''5 star hotels'' in the US and the UK that are WORSE than Hilton Abuja in terms of everything you care to mention. And yet some fool will come and tell me that our Hilton and Sheraton etc are ''four star'' because they were so rated by some '''foreign agencies''. In fact we have serious problems in this country.
Exactly the point I wanted to establish... kudos...
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 10, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Abeg fcu.k off with that shiit. I stayed in Sheraton NEW YORK just two years ago, and there was absolutely no big deal about the place. Even the waiters in the bar were slow and rude. The rooms were small, and the view was crap. Abeg make we hear something. Inferiority complex na im dey kill una.
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 10, 2013
GERALD710:
So Nigeria has no 4 star hotels? Kenya has at least 12 in Nairobi alone and and a couple in Mombasa too.
I can see you a kenyan, so your Nairobi alone has 12 5star hotels and Nigeria as a country has none? Name one hotel in Nairobi that is better than Bolingo hotel,Abuja or Federal palace hotel, Lagos? ( I'm not supposed to join issues with you but I just wanted to know if there is another nairobi apart from the one I know in and out..)
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Beey(f): 2:18pm On Oct 10, 2013
Cajetan speaks: I can see you a kenyan, so your Nairobi alone has 12 5star hotels and Nigeria as a country has none? Name one hotel in Nairobi that is better than Bolingo hotel,Abuja or Federal palace hotel, Lagos? ( I'm not supposed to join issues with you but I just wanted to know if there is another nairobi apart from the one I know in and out..)
lol.Which parts of Nairobi do you know or you are just making mouth?

1 Like

Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 10, 2013
Beey: lol.Which parts of Nairobi do you know or you are just making mouth?
I'm making your damaged mouth..
Re: Photos From The Opening Of Intercontinental Hotel In Lagos by Beey(f): 4:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
Cajetan speaks: I'm making your damaged mouth..
You crack me up the more because atleast mine is damaged & there is hope for repair,but yours is beyond repair.You've never stepped out of your backyard not to even speak of the Nairobi you only see in pictures but know nothing about.Intercontinental Nairobi has been in existence for decades so this one of yours doesn't impress at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Groom Absconds From His Wedding In Kano, Claims He Was Kidnapped! / Couple Weds In Flooded Church In Philippines (Photos) / A Wedding Ceremony Of A Beautiful Sister.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.