Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,101 members, 7,807,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman (2788 Views)

Presidential Villa: APC Defeats PDP - Vanguard / Nigerian Female Billionaire Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become Richest Black Woman / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 1:16pm On Oct 09, 2013
Starting her career as a secretary in a bank in
the mid 1970s, Alakija, 62, then studied
fashion in London and returned to Nigeria to
start a label, Supreme Stitches. But her
biggest break came in oil.
In 1993, her company, Famfa Oil, was
awarded an oil prospecting license, which
later became OML 127, one of the country’s
most prolific oil blocks, by then-president
Ibrahim Babangida.
The company owned a 60 per cent stake in
the block until 2000 when the Nigerian
government unconstitutionally acquired a 50
per cent interest without duly compensating
Alakija or Famda Oil.
In May 2012, Alakija, a married mother-of-
four, challenged the acquisition and the
Nigerian Supreme Court reinstated the 50 per
cent stake to her company.
She also has a charity called the Rose of
Sharon foundation that helps widows and
orphans by empowering them through
scholarships and business grants.
Forbes magazine had estimated Alakija’s
fortune at $600 million, as of November
2012, but the magazine’s editor-in-chief
Uzodinma Iweala said his researchers were
‘closer to the ground.’
They noted that Brazilian oil company,
Petrobas, was looking to sell its 8 per cent
stake in OML 127 for $1.5- $2.5 billion, and
extrapolated that if they managed to sell it
for $1 billion, Alakija’s 60 per cent stake
would be worth at least $7.3 billion.
Iweala claims this and other estimates
included in the report are actually ‘on the
conservative side’ and said the magazine
expect to unearth more African billionaires
shortly.
The overall richest African is Nigerian
manufacturer Aliko Dangote who is worth
$20.2 billion. Twenty Nigerians are listed in
total.
According to Forbes, Oprah Winfrey is worth
$2.9 billion.

www.informationng.com/2013/10/nigerian-female-billionaire-defeats-oprah-winfrey-to-become-richest-black-woman-in-the-world.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by legalcode(m): 1:23pm On Oct 09, 2013
Though i am Nigerian but i am not proud of her. How did she made the money? obviously not hard work but by sleeping around with politicians. Licking the joystick of IBB. For me that is not worth being proud of. Oprah made her money geniunely and still remain admired all over the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by TeaParty: 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2013
Celebration of criminality?
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Wsdm: 1:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
Nigerians bigwigs are climbing up amongst very poor masses. We the less privilege should continue to flex muscles in insulting each other on religious and ethnic ground with each comment showing absolute disgust for the other person.
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Awakullowo: 1:47pm On Oct 09, 2013
legalcode: Though i am Nigerian but i am not proud of her. How did she made the money? obviously not hard work but by sleeping around with politicians. Licking the joystick of IBB. For me that is not worth being proud of. Oprah made her money geniunely and still remain admired all over the world.

I am sure, you are ibo. You can never be happy because she is a successful Yoruba woman.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Infomizer(m): 1:56pm On Oct 09, 2013
Defeat? Didn't know it was a bout!
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Infomizer(m): 1:57pm On Oct 09, 2013
Awakullowo:

I am sure, you are ibo. You can never be happy because she is a successful Yoruba woman.
You didn't need to go tribalist on the fella...#justsaying

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 09, 2013
legalcode: Though i am Nigerian but i am not proud of her. How did she made the money? obviously not hard work but by sleeping around with politicians. Licking the joystick of IBB. For me that is not worth being proud of. Oprah made her money geniunely and still remain admired all over the world.
You are just confirming what we know. Criminality celebration.
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Brimmie(m): 2:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ok Na..
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by ramaju: 2:36pm On Oct 09, 2013
The caption is misleading. Is it competition now to be richer than any other? If she actually beat her, what capital did the two start with and who is the umpire doing the actual observations ? Nairaland has become home for anything like "Davido defeats Usher in album sales, Jonathan trounces Obama in spoken English, Amaka's womanliness is bigger than Shade's. Too many thoughtless and childish posts.
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 2:41pm On Oct 09, 2013
Awakullowo:

God bless u my brother!!!
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 2:44pm On Oct 09, 2013
ramaju: The caption is misleading. Is it competition now to be richer than any other? If she actually beat her, what capital did the two start with and who is the umpire doing the actual observations ? Nairaland has become home for anything like "Davido defeats Usher in album sales, Jonathan trounces Obama in spoken English, Amaka's womanliness is bigger than Shade's. Too many thoughtless and childish posts.
old man dats is why a link is attached if u wanna poke ur long nose in deir lives u can always use google to satisfy ur silly thoughts ..OLODO!!
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by dustydee: 2:46pm On Oct 09, 2013
Defeats was there a competition?
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2013
i bet ure so broke...i dnt think u can make it in life wit this mindsect of yours...u think every woman does fornicate?..yoruba women are known worldwide for education nd struggle..SMH!!....uve even underated urself dat u cnt make it instead of praying for sumtin similar...now run along!!
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by slimming: 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
She is rich, but are pple are poor. what a life for Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 3:07pm On Oct 09, 2013
slimming: She is rich, but are pple are poor. what a life for Nigerians
how dat one take concern her...blame your leaders for ur predicament...#typical naija mentality comment
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by udodeejay: 4:39pm On Oct 09, 2013
Is not About how rich you are,but what you use your money for,its about your quality of life and how you affect others with your wealth,
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by tmotmo: 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2013
legalcode: Though i am Nigerian but i am not proud of her. How did she made the money? obviously not hard work but by sleeping around with politicians. Licking the joystick of IBB. For me that is not worth being proud of. Oprah made her money genuinely and still remain admired all over the world.

You are completely wrong and misleading.

Why can't you for once celebrate success? The same license that she held to her chest and make money were also given to many other generals in 1993. because they don't have business sense, they sold it multinationals ( including Gen. TY Danjuma, who had boasted in recent past that he sold "ordinary paper" that fetched him $1b. And he used half of it $500million to establish Danjuma Foundation).

She was actually closed to Mariam Babanjida and not the Husband. Talking about how influential A 1st Lady, it started moderately from Mrs Mariam Babanjida in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by donphilopus: 5:07pm On Oct 09, 2013
Kudos Sheila
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by mysticgal(f): 5:24pm On Oct 09, 2013
whether she suck the joystix of a gorrilla,the woman is influential and got cash,i just love her for breaking jinx,am next
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by ramaju: 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
smoothicon: old man dats is why a link is attached if u wanna poke ur long nose in deir lives u can always use google to satisfy ur silly thoughts ..OLODO!!
I feel very much compelled to say sorry for your naivity, absolute lack of respect and total senselessness. May you never grow old.
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 6:21pm On Oct 09, 2013
as u wish in ur heart so shall it be onto u nd nt only u but ur entire family
ramaju: I feel very much compelled to say sorry for your naivity, absolute lack of respect and total senselessness. May you never grow old.
ramaju: I feel very much compelled to say sorry for your naivity, absolute lack of respect and total senselessness. May you never grow old.
as u wish in ur heart so shall it be onto u nd nt only u but ur entire family
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smoothicon(m): 6:24pm On Oct 09, 2013
mysticgal: whether she suck the joystix of a gorrilla,the woman is influential and got cash,i just love her for breaking jinx,am next
God bless u my sister
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Tuntheycr7: 6:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
So she shud start distrubuting money to you and ya people. You better face ya studies. Yeye
Btw whch kind engrish u de blow?
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Tuntheycr7: 6:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Nomski0(f): 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tuntheycr7:
So she shud start distrubuting money to you and ya people. You better face ya studies. Yeye
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Waspy(m): 8:30pm On Oct 09, 2013
Mr Gates got money.......Yes,
Is the world (naija inclusive) feeling his mint?...... Yes

She has the money.... Yes
Who even sabi her for Yorubaland?....... She sabi herself.

We Africans need to do smthng about our materialistic psyche. We kinda cherish trivial, vane and irrelevant things.This 'i better pass my neighbour' attitude is the major cause of corruption in our society.. We are ready to steal and embezzzle just to show off.
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by Abbey2sam(m): 10:10pm On Oct 09, 2013
Tuntheycr7:

Lol
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by smithjanetstore: 10:52pm On Oct 09, 2013
abi ooo dont mind that idiot yoruba women are always hardworking may be he think say na that useless BIANCA ashawo wey FFK dey grease her boris
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by ifebosco: 11:00pm On Oct 09, 2013
smoothicon: God bless u my brother!!!
GODBLESS a tribalist?see how domb you are
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by eaglechild: 11:17pm On Oct 09, 2013
Stale news.
Besides it's I'll gotten.
Next....
Re: Nigerian Woman Defeats Oprah Winfrey To Become World Richest Black Woman by baggy4luv(m): 11:28pm On Oct 09, 2013
oprah vs this iya bose.spits on thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Suddenly, Boko Haram Are No More / Photo: Buhari's Wife In A Chopper With Oando's Wale Tinubu / My Realistic View Of Biafra If It Results To War(conspiracy Theory).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.