Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,981 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:09 AM

ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks (32736 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Omotola Speaks On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 4:57pm On Oct 12, 2013
wallex1983: Kudos Prof.

All I knw is dat I am an ASUU member by virtue of my profession as a university don.

But I'm not proud of being one.

Education is not adequately funded I believe, but we are too greedy.

My question is: Is d health sector adequately funded? Are even d Prisons adequately funded? Don't even go to infrastructures: roads, water, etc... And even creation of jobs. Look sir, its a general problem. We can't shut down d country because of ASSU's greed.

Top in our demand now is 'earned allowance'. That's what Fagge emphasises each time.

I submit, we are greedy, despite d fact that I agree that politicians also squander our resources. If we want more money, we can still join politics.

You are the most sincere Lecturer, i have come across in recent times. Thank you for saying the simple truth.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 5:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
prof.femi:

Thank you very much.
I am very interested in dissecting your post because no one has discussed this issue of recruiting outstanding graduates with me. Can I ask you (and please do be honest): those your friends, were they the best students at graduation (first degree)? If not, where are the best students in their sets?

Having said that, ASUU jobs will not become like SPDC after the strike because there is no salary increment component in it. Apart from the infrastructural issues, its only allowances.

I also have advice for you and your friends. If you want to take lecturing jobs because there is less stress, then you may end up like one of the "bad" lecturers we have been panning. For serious, up-and-doing lecturers, this job is stressful like nothing you can imagine. Personally, what I love about it is the relative freedom to decide what I want to do research-wise, and the chance to mould lives.

Also, the Chinese say "be careful what you wish for...you may get it!" I believe that if ASUU gets the sort of government intervention it seeks, job security will no longer be a given. I am okay with that. In the US, keeping lecturing jobs no be easy thing, unless you work in Podunk Community College...

You are wrong if u think that being the best in class means being a good lecturer. If you dont have the passion for your work, you cant be the best. when the missionaires were in nigeria, they produced great minds with little or no infrastructure. so the emphasis should be on recruiting good and passionate lecturers.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by ibkgbocco: 6:06pm On Oct 12, 2013
ig.chuka:

You are the most sincere Lecturer, i have come across in recent times. Thank you for saying the simple truth.
Only if he is truly one
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by texazzpete(m): 7:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
ig.chuka:

he is the 'most sincere Lecturer' and his words are the 'simple truth' because he says something you agree with?

'Earned allowance' is money that was agreed up and promised them that has not yet been paid. As Prof.femi says, there are no salary increment components in their present demands. Why would a self-proclaimed 'ASUU member' not know this and say they are 'greedy'?

Anyway, all this is immaterial. The big stumbling block in the current Strike negotiation still remains the massive cash Infusion into the Universities that ASUU demands (as agreed in the 2009 agreement). That cash surge isn't going to ASUU (last i checked, the VCs and the Bursars handle the finances) so I see no reason for 'greed' to be put forward as a reason for this impasse.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 8:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
texazzpete:

he is the 'most sincere Lecturer' and his words are the 'simple truth' because he says something you agree with?

'Earned allowance' is money that was agreed up and promised them that has not yet been paid. As Prof.femi says, there are no salary increment components in their present demands. Why would a self-proclaimed 'ASUU member' not know this and say they are 'greedy'?

Anyway, all this is immaterial. The big stumbling block in the current Strike negotiation still remains the massive cash Infusion into the Universities that ASUU demands (as agreed in the 2009 agreement). That cash surge isn't going to ASUU (last i checked, the VCs and the Bursars handle the finances) so I see no reason for 'greed' to be put forward as a reason for this impasse.

Just my 2 cents.

As if the VC is not a member of ASUU. Those funds are better spent on secondary and primary schools. How many people attend universities. We just have a good number of Lecturers trying to blame FG for their inability to properly manage what was committed into their hands. Just like in the Bible, some hide their talent instead using it to produce more. If i was the president, i would:-
(1) Make sure the next Minister of Education is not from the University.
(2) Hire good inspectors to generate the funds from ASUU themselves.
(3) Privatise 50% of Federal Government owned institutions.
FG should not own more than 12 Universities, 6 Polytechnics and 6 Colleges of Education.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by ibkgbocco: 8:41pm On Oct 12, 2013
[quote author=ig.chuka]

As if the VC is not a member of ASUU. Those funds are better sent on secondary and primary schools. How many people attend universities. We just have a good number of Lecturers trying to blame FG for their inability to properly manage what was committed into their hands. Just like in the Bible, some hide their talent instead using it to produce more. If i was the president, i would:-
(1) Make sure the next Minister of Education is not from the University.
(2) Hire good inspectors to generate the funds from ASUU themselves.
(3) Privatise 50% of Federal Government owned institutions.
FG should not own more than 12 Universities, 6 Polytechnics and 6 Colleges of Education.[/quot.
As a vice chancellor, u are not a member of ASUU...
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by urchman101(m): 9:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
Prof. Femi
Goodday.... I have followed up this trend right from the beginning and all i said initially was ''all is well'' . Prof. I have dis to say now, from my perspective i can say dat u mean well for your country and you want to give to your country the best you but the system is failing you. Well am really sorry about that......... I can say that majority of your colleagues will impact nothing into this system even if they were given everything. All i can say is that i have always wanted to give back to my country like yourself.....but the very sad memories associated with ASUU strike is causing me to rethink. I can tell you they are so many others who are doing same, because they believe that their are other alternatives other than prolonged striking.......
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by texazzpete(m): 11:30pm On Oct 12, 2013
ig.chuka:

As if the VC is not a member of ASUU.

I really could have used this gif for nearly everything else in your post, but this part about the VCs stood out grin
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 12:12am On Oct 13, 2013
texazzpete:

I really could have used this gif for nearly everything else in your post, but this part about the VCs stood out grin

That he became a VC, did not change his membership of ASUU. He can only act neutral on issues between FG and ASUU. I can tell u authoritatively that no university can go on strike without the support of the VC.
Let me say it loud and clear, the VC and Minister of Education were members of ASUU and still are, they is why they cannot protect government's interest.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by otokx(m): 5:08am On Oct 13, 2013
@ig.chuka

The VC is now a management staff, he is also now regarded as a political appointee with salary on a different scale.

ASUU strikes are chapter driven, lecturers vote and the majority carries the day, it does not need the support of the VC.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 11:57am On Oct 13, 2013
otokx: @ig.chuka

The VC is now a management staff, he is also now regarded as a political appointee with salary on a different scale.

ASUU strikes are chapter driven, lecturers vote and the majority carries the day, it does not need the support of the VC.

For example, Unizik did not go on strike for many years because the VC at that time pulled the school out of ASUU (through out his tenure there was no strike, up to three years after he left). Unizik grew tremedously as a university during those strikeless period, those who the university can attest to this fact. Unizik is currently on strike because the current VC allowed the school to join ASUU once again, against popular opinion.
I wonder how a VC will not support a cause he will benefit from. It takes a VC who has a vision for the university to do otherwise.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by kaka22(m): 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2013
ig.chuka:

For example, Unizik did not go on strike for many years because the VC at that time pulled the school out of ASUU (through out his tenure there was no strike, up to three years after he left). Unizik grew tremedously as a university during those strikeless period, those who the university can attest to this fact. Unizik is currently on strike because the current VC allowed the school to join ASUU once again, against popular opinion.
I wonder how a VC will not support a cause he will benefit from. It takes a VC who has a vision for the university to do otherwise.
Guy, stop wallowing in ignorance(no offence)... VC is not part of ASUU. Once a lecturer becomes the VC, the lecturer ceases to be part of ASUU as long as he holds the office of VC...Any action that ASUU takes as a body will be as a result of an agreement in ASUU's meeting independently of the VC...
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by RuuDie(m): 5:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
ig.chuka:

You are wrong if u think that being the best in class means being a good lecturer. If you dont have the passion for your work, you cant be the best. when the missionaires were in nigeria, they produced great minds with little or no infrastructure. so the emphasis should be on recruiting good and passionate lecturers.

Oh really...!?

How come off all the hundreds of thousands of graduates we produce annually, we never see the "passionate" ones lining up at the gates of UNIMAID, FEDPONEK, OSISATECH, OAU, LASU or UNILAG to drop their CVs or apply for positions?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Abbycite(m): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2013
The bottomline is:

ASUU is selfish partly because 'u can't be clamouring for balanced diet when majority of d people are dying of hunger. We need to realize that, Nigeria has it own pace of developing, any attempt to push our luck may result in calamity. Every aspect of d country is underfund; education, power, health, security, infrastructure, just name it. ASUU should meet the FG half way. Let's forget about the terms of agreement, what matters most is d spirit of d agreement which is developing d nation as a whole. You don't expect d FG to cough out that much of money because doing that would mean depriving other sectors their funds.

Government on their part should be responsible. A president word should be binding. U don't come on air every other time to say something as a president and do something else. When a president speak, people should be reassured. Not d usual 'we are working on it' while nothing is being done.... In d spirit of patriotism, let's move d country FORWARD.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 9:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
RuuDie:

Oh really...!?

How come off all the hundreds of thousands of graduates we produce annually, we never see the "passionate" ones lining up at the gates of UNIMAID, FEDPONEK, OSISATECH, OAU, LASU or UNILAG to drop their CVs or apply for positions?

They are not applying for positions because they were never passionate about teaching in the first place. Passion will sustain you when money does not come as expected.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 9:40pm On Oct 13, 2013
kaka22:
Guy, stop wallowing in ignorance(no offence)... VC is not part of ASUU. Once a lecturer becomes the VC, the lecturer ceases to be part of ASUU as long as he holds the office of VC...Any action that ASUU takes as a body will be as a result of an agreement in ASUU's meeting independently of the VC...

Just listen to yourself carefully. until VCs come out to protect the interest of students which is their right to education, nobody can convince me that VCs are not members of ASUU. I hope you did not forget that benefits accrue to VCs in said agreement that ASUU wants FG to implement.
From a business point of view, it is a waste of resources pumping money in universities, cos they do not generate enough income that can sustain them talkless of profit.
ASUU wants to get paid like their counterparts abroad, yet no patent to show, talkless of viable patents.
ASUU's main issue is character crises.
If a Civil engineering lecturer cannot take his students to an ongoing road construction site in campus and explain that part of the course, no amount of money given by the FG will do that, this applies to other lecturers.
FG does not owe anybody sponsorship of any university.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by texazzpete(m): 7:39pm On Oct 14, 2013
ig.chuka:

Just listen to yourself carefully. until VCs come out to protect the interest of students which is their right to education, nobody can convince me that VCs are not members of ASUU. I hope you did not forget that benefits accrue to VCs in said agreement that ASUU wants FG to implement.

And how exactly is the VC supposed to 'protect the interest of the students' to your satisfaction? By offering to teach all the courses himself? By going on hunger strike? By engaging in fisticuffs with the ASUU members?
Pray, shed more light on this matter, good sir.

As far as I know, the earned allowances for lecturers the union is fighting for will not be paid to the VCs.... They don't lecture anymore, after all.
Can we agree that from your logic, students are then
ASUU members if they get any benefit from this strike (Eg infrastructural investment providing free wifi)?

ig.chuka:

From a business point of view, it is a waste of resources pumping money in universities, cos they do not generate enough income that can sustain them talkless of profit.
ASUU wants to get paid like their counterparts abroad, yet no patent to show, talkless of viable patents.
ASUU's main issue is character crises.
If a Civil engineering lecturer cannot take his students to an ongoing road construction site in campus and explain that part of the course, no amount of money given by the FG will do that, this applies to other lecturers.
FG does owe anybody sponsorship of any university.

I take it you'd scrap free primary education, federal government schools, free health care initiatives etc because they do not generate profit?
Smh
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 9:15pm On Oct 14, 2013
texazzpete:

And how exactly is the VC supposed to 'protect the interest of the students' to your satisfaction? By offering to teach all the courses himself? By going on hunger strike? By engaging in fisticuffs with the ASUU members?

As far as I know, the earned allowances for lecturers the union is fighting for will not be paid to the VCs.... They don't lecture anymore, after all.
ASUU members if they get any benefit from this strike (Eg infrastructural investment providing free wifi)?

I take it you'd scrap free primary education, federal government schools, free health care initiatives etc because they do not generate profit?
Smh

FG implementing the said agreement would not stop future ASUU strike. Man is insatiable. They recently asked for retirement age of profs to be raised and it was done, few months later another flimsy strike.
That GEJ agreed to implement an agreement does not mean the next President will do the same. Just like Imo state governor that said he wants to start new universities in the state, Our states currently cannot run universities because, they find it hard to pay minimum wage. i pity the governor that will come after him.
I forsee what happened to NITEL and PHCN, happening to FG universities. Let me ask you, who is to blame for the faliure of NITEL and PHCN?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by igchuka(m): 9:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
texazzpete:

Smh

FG is being very lenient on ASUU. If students protest for their rights in campus (like for good hostels, hike in school fees: i know a VC that almost chased all students away from the school hostel because they demanded for better service) , you are either threatened, suspended or expelled without fair hearing, whereas FG is negotiating with them for striking for their rights.
Have u ever seen ASUU go on strike against FG because school fees was increased?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by uceee(m): 11:57pm On Oct 14, 2013
When the Yaradua led government signed the ASUU-FG 2009 agreement, they never really intended to implement it. ASUU had been on strike for a long time, so they just wanted the lecturers and students to go back to school.
A glance through that agreement will make it immediately obvious to you that it is not practical. Unfortunately, ASUU have refused to re-negotiate.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Rotimigabriel(m): 3:11am On Oct 15, 2013
uceee: When the Yaradua led government signed the ASUU-FG 2009 agreement, they never really intended to implement it. ASUU had been on strike for a long time, so they just wanted the lecturers and students to go back to school.
A glance through that agreement will make it immediately obvious to you that it is not practical. Unfortunately, ASUU have refused to re-negotiate.

That is what people don't understand. ASUU keeps tellin us dat fg signed d agreement freely where as they av forgotten dat ASUU was on strike and infact, d strike was in its fourth month when d agreement was signed. ASUU has shown dat they don't av d interest of student at heart. Students in anatomy and co are payin dearly for this strike. Who among them will allow his or her white rat to die without defence of its project?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 10:18am On Oct 15, 2013
ig.chuka:

You post shows the sort of ignorance often found in the words of a supposedly intelligent speaker. What makes you think the main job of an academic is lecturing? You should not have made this mistake if you actually read the very FIRST answer of my initial post.

Yes, being best in your class does not automatically mean you are a good teacher. However, it means you are very likely a brilliant mind. From my vantage point as a worker in the system, we need brilliant minds far more than we need good teachers (especially because most truly brilliant minds can learn to be outstanding teachers, but the reverse does not hold!).

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 10:21am On Oct 15, 2013
ig.chuka:
That he became a VC, did not change his membership of ASUU. He can only act neutral on issues between FG and ASUU. I can tell u authoritatively that no university can go on strike without the support of the VC.
Let me say it loud and clear, the VC and Minister of Education were members of ASUU and still are, they is why they cannot protect government's interest.

Why do people jump into issues on which they obviously do not have good grasp? This post is ridiculous, and I do not even know where to start. Such flawed premise explains why you would make some of the assertions you made earlier.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 10:23am On Oct 15, 2013
Abbycite: ...Nigeria has it own pace of developing, any attempt to push our luck may result in calamity. Every aspect of d country is underfund; education, power, health, security, infrastructure, just name it.

Obviously, you did not really understand my initial post. I said the book on nation-building has been written many times. We know what to do if we want to get ahead. All this one we are doing is just time wasting. There is no "pace of developing" that we can have that should not start with developing tertiary education.Unless we want to remain a perpetual developing nation?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 10:28am On Oct 15, 2013
ig.chuka:
FG implementing the said agreement would not stop future ASUU strike. Man is insatiable. They recently asked for retirement age of profs to be raised and it was done, few months later another flimsy strike.

I find myself getting pissed off by your posts. "Man is insatiable" What the [expletive] does that mean exactly? We are saying government signed an agreement, they refuse to honor it. We are saying tertiary education needs urgent intervention. And to all this, you offer the pearls "man is insatiable"?

You mean a man has no right to demand that a promise made to him be fulfilled? What exactly are you saying?

"Few months later, another strike" as if ASUU went on strike for another issue. When it was the SAME old issues that FG refused to honor.

I am on the verge of giving up on this country, if this is how the "intelligent ones" among the "leaders of tomorrow" we are training reason.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 10:32am On Oct 15, 2013
ig.chuka:
Have u ever seen ASUU go on strike against FG because school fees was increased?

Can you hear yourself? Let me tell you loud and clear: a simple solution to the present impasse is for ASUU to let the government raise fees to the proper levels (hundreds of thousands). You should ask yourself and your fellow wise guys why ASUU does not take this route. After all said and done, with people like you mouthing off, ASUU eventually calls off, and fees are raised moderately, you will be asking "Have u ever seen ASUU go on strike against FG because school fees was increased?". WHEN ASUU THE THE ONLY BODY PREVENTING FEES FOR GOING OUT OF THE ROOF? I wonder if you are just ignorant, or you are trying to be mischievous.

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by onayemi1: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2013
Sir, can you please comment on this? One thing I have noticed in this thread is that your effort to educate everyone on this thread is yielding minimal results. ASUU has over years engage in activities that have diminish their significance to the society.
drered: @prof femi.
Came across this on facebook and I'll love to know your thoughts on this

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by haibe(m): 2:20pm On Oct 15, 2013
Despite all the Bad News, ASUU Strike, Boko
Haram, Light Issues, Stupid Govt & all That, Its
my Pleasure to Announce to You that Mango is
Out..

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2013
cheesy where joor?
haibe: Despite all the Bad News, ASUU Strike, Boko
Haram, Light Issues, Stupid Govt & all That, Its
my Pleasure to Announce to You that Mango is
Out..
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Abbycite(m): 9:33pm On Oct 15, 2013
prof.femi:

Obviously, you did not really understand my initial post. I said the book on nation-building has been written many times. We know what to do if we want to get ahead. All this one we are doing is just time wasting. There is no "pace of developing" that we can have that should not start with developing tertiary education.Unless we want to remain a perpetual developing nation?

Prof, you are beginning to sound selfish (no offense intended). U said 'tertiary education' not even education generally. But can a country progress without adequate security. Do u believe that if d FG pump all d budgetary allocation of other sectors into ur 'tertiary education', and d Boko boys decided to 'strike' one of d institutions, d 'technology-know-how' of d lecturers will avert d calamity.

Is about time we do our bit in building this great nation and let d system work.... Governing a nation is not always as easy as pple take it to be. Am sure GEJ as a former lecturer would have had d same view when he was still a member of ASUU. The same thing happen to Oshiomole as labour leader who is now in charge of a state. It is one thing to be a labour leader where u av d luxury to be 'selfish' in ur agitation, it is another thing to be a president of a country where u av to consider all sectors of d nation b4 taking any major decision.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by alexleo(m): 6:00am On Oct 16, 2013
Here is the latest info on ASUU-FG meeting.

Deekaydadon: FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OTUOKE
INTERNAL INFORMATION RELEASE OCTOBER 14, 2013
AN UPDATE ON ONGOING ASUU NEGOTIATIONS FOLLOWING TWO RECENT MEETINGS WITH VICE-PRESIDENT NAMADI SAMBO
From the Office of the Vice-Chancellor
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Following two meetings (on Thursday 19th Sept 2013 and Friday 11th Oct 2013) of representativesof the AVCNU (Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, led by CVC Chairman, Prof. Hamisu of ATBU) and ASUU Representatives(led by its President, Dr. N. Fagge) with the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Arc. N. Sambo, Minister of Education Barr. N. Wike and others, all Vice-Chancellors have been urged to inform and enlighten our academic and other staff on the following developments so that we can ensure a return to normalcy in our universities within the shortest possible time
1. Earned Allowances: The N30 billion already released will now be increased to N40 billion, and should be regarded only as first installment, and not a once-and-for-all payment. Government will top it up with further releases once universities are through with the disbursement of this new figure of N40 million, so Vice-Chancellors are urged to expedite this disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the CVC.
2. NEEDS Assessment Capital Money: Government was cognizant and mindful of the ability of Universities to effectively/efficiently utilize the N100 billion fund immediately, hence that figure. However, in addition to this N100 billion dedicated and already made available for 2013, N200 billion (increased from N150 billion previously agreed) will now be earmarked in the 2014 Budget as well as each of the following three-four years until the Universities are brought to world-class standard.
3. Project Prioritization:Universities will now be allowed to determine their priorities and not be “rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment. Decisions are not to be centralized.
4. TETFund Intervention: Government assured that the operations of the TETFund will not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to Universities will continue, unaffected. So the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in addition to regular TETFund intervention.
5. Project Monitoring: A new Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC) for the NEEDS Assessment intervention for universities has been set up to take over from the Suswan Committee. The new one is under the Federal Ministry of Education and chaired by the Honorable Minister of Education. In addition, to build confidence and ensure faithful implementation and prevent any relapse as before, the Vice President will meet quarterly with the IMC to monitor progress.
6. Blueprint: ASUU was mandated to submit a blue print for revitalizing the Universities to the Vice President.
7. Official Agreement Document: A signed document would be issued very soon to itemize the full issues on which this present consensus outlined here, brokered by AVCNU, has been reached.
8. An Appeal to Call Off Strike: The Vice-President Sambo appealed to ASUU to call off the strike and apologized for the "take-it-or-leave-it" comments credited to the Hon Minister of Finance. All other parties present at the meetings also prevailed on the ASUU leadership to consult objectively with its members to get them to agree with what is now on the table and to call off the strike as soon as possible after the Sallah break of Tuesday/Wednesday October 15/16 2013.
9. ASUU President Responds: At both meetings, the President of ASUU thanked the VP for taking over negotiations and promised to consult with his ASUU Constituency.
We keep our fingers firmly crossed, as we await both the official consensus agreement document and full ASUU reaction. Statesmanship on all sides is called for at this point in time.

Thank you.

Prof. Mobolaji E. Aluko
Vice-Chancellor
Federal University Otuoke

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 6:59am On Oct 16, 2013
Abbycite: Prof, you are beginning to sound selfish (no offense intended). U said 'tertiary education' not even education generally. But can a country progress without adequate security

I am sounding selfish because I observed that people smarter than you (and smarter than me) have already shown us what to do to grow our nation? No, if you detect a new edginess in my voice, it is not due to selfishness, but due to incredulity and frustration at how some of you guys think.

I noted that so numerous countries have demonstrated the importance of education (and yes, in particular, *tertiary* education) and you come back with an argument about security etc. Don't you guys understand that *part* of the reasons for the insecurity is the neglect of education? Now we are paying the first installment of the price and you guys still don't get it.

Look, don't believe me, go see how the South Koreas (the most recent example) did it. Before you complain, that's also how *everyone* before them did it.

You guys need to move beyond your hatred of ASUU and get an education on what the critical issues are. Sorry if you think I sound selfish again.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Jamb 2017: Top 10 States According To The Number Of Applicants / Military Beats Students Inside Uniport / WAEC Students Destroy School Building After Being Duped By Principal In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.