Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,734 members, 7,806,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:09 AM

ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks (32733 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Omotola Speaks On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by otokx(m): 8:16am On Oct 16, 2013
@prof.femi

The govt has made some new offers; do you think its a good starting point for ASUU to call of the strike while the implementation & further talks continue?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 8:53am On Oct 16, 2013
otokx: The govt has made some new offers; do you think its a good starting point for ASUU to call of the strike while the implementation & further talks continue?

I assume you mean the report here https://www.nairaland.com/1479765/update-ongoing-ASUU-negotiations-following

Assuming we can establish its veracity, it does sound like progress is being made. As I have maintained previously, it is important for government to acknowledge the importance of sorting out tertiary education. I get that impression from the above report, and will personally have no qualms voting to suspend the strike.

* I should note clearly that taking such a stance is contingent on government *actually* being sincere and doing as it promised. If we call off now, and government once again fails to meet its obligations, I'm sure Nairalanders will come here and start abusing ASUU again...
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Abbycite(m): 11:00am On Oct 16, 2013
prof.femi:

I am sounding selfish because I observed that people smarter than you (and smarter than me) have already shown us what to do to grow our nation? No, if you detect a new edginess in my voice, it is not due to selfishness, but due to incredulity and frustration at how some of you guys think.

I noted that so numerous countries have demonstrated the importance of education (and yes, in particular, *tertiary* education) and you come back with an argument about security etc. Don't you guys understand that *part* of the reasons for the insecurity is the neglect of education? Now we are paying the first installment of the price and you guys still don't get it.

Look, don't believe me, go see how the South Koreas (the most recent example) did it. Before you complain, that's also how *everyone* before them did it.

You guys need to move beyond your hatred of ASUU and get an education on what the critical issues are. Sorry if you think I sound selfish again.

Here is d thing Prof, u can choose to say anything to justify ur ASUU claims but say it to urself. because it won't change d fact that 'we can't give what we don't have'.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by texazzpete(m): 9:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
Abbycite:

Here is d thing Prof, u can choose to say anything to justify ur ASUU claims but say it to urself. because it won't change d fact that 'we can't give what we don't have'.

Tell me, what figures are you privy to that you can boldly make this statement?

Even if the FG comes close to implementing UNESCO's recommendation and sets aside 20% (just shy of the 26% recommendation) of the budget for education, what happens to the remaining 80%? You seem adamant on fitting every single expenditure into that relatively small amount proposed to be set aside for intervention in the Educational sector.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by preciousnobel(m): 8:52am On Oct 16, 2017
proffemi:

I assume you mean the report here https://www.nairaland.com/1479765/update-ongoing-ASUU-negotiations-following

Assuming we can establish its veracity, it does sound like progress is being made. As I have maintained previously, it is important for government to acknowledge the importance of sorting out tertiary education. I get that impression from the above report, and will personally have no qualms voting to suspend the strike.

* I should note clearly that taking such a stance is contingent on government *actually* being sincere and doing as it promised. If we call off now, and government once again fails to meet its obligations, I'm sure Nairalanders will come here and start abusing ASUU again...
I want to be an academic like you. How do I go about it?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 9:06am On Oct 16, 2017
preciousnobel:
I want to be an academic like you. How do I go about it?

Hello, preciousnobel. I'll send you a PM so you can get in touch by email.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by preciousnobel(m): 9:35am On Oct 16, 2017
proffemi:

Hello, preciousnobel. I'll send you a PM so you can get in touch by email.
Ok, thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Jamb 2017: Top 10 States According To The Number Of Applicants / Military Beats Students Inside Uniport / WAEC Students Destroy School Building After Being Duped By Principal In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.