Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,857 members, 7,806,421 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks (32734 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Omotola Speaks On ASUU Strike / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
nejifresh: I'm of the opinion that our University Education needs to be privatized, and student loans should be issued by gov. This will encourage competition and improve the quality of education. It will also make students sit up and stop running around with one cult gang or the other.

Do you know the consequences if what you are suggesting happens? I don't think you really do. All of you are so eager to chase the poor lecturers out of the university (news flash: I AM TOO) that you're not thinking through workable ways to make it happen.

There is no dancing round the issue: education needs to be properly funded, if only to replace the lecturers you all hate so much.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
After going through most of the posts on this thread, my verdict still remains that the solution to the problems in our university system does not lie in ASUU or their incessant strikes. In fact, ASUU is part of the problem.

We must not forget that ASUU strikes did not start today. ASUU has been going on strikes since the late 70s. The problems for which ASUU embarked on strike in 2013 are similar to those for which ASUU called for strikes in the past, including the late 70s.

So what has changed? Today its president Jonathan versus new ASUU president but the ISSUES are the same. The problems are the same. What do we do to a strategy that has not worked since the 70s? It is only a fool that keeps doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

From my understanding of the issues, once a new leadership of ASUU emerges, they announce their presence through strike. If not for this current strike, many Nigerians were not aware that ASUU now has a new leadership. It seems the performance of the leadership of ASUU is based on the number or lenght of strikes it embarks upon within its tenure.

Yes, there are problems in our universities but these problems CANNOT and can NEVER be solved by ASUU strikes. If the strikes embarked upon by ASUU since the 70s have not solved these problems, why would that of 2013 be different? If 3 decades after ASUU embarked on its first strike we are still talking about the same problems, then shouldn't we be looking for new and creative ways of solving these problems?

If anything, I think incessant strikes have WORSENED the problems. Strikes only provide temporary benefits for the lecturers and maybe in some cases more funds for the schools. But these little benefits could have also been achieved through other means without shutting down the schools.

Moreover, what we need is not temporary benefits. We need a SYSTEM that WORKS. We need a SYSTEM that is sustainable. We need a SYSTEM that is predictable. We need is system that will yield long term benefits and on a continuous basis. We a need a SYSTEM that is consistent.

We do not need ASUU. ASUU, by embarking on incessant strikes, is now part of the problem. It does not make sense to CONSISTENTLY distort/destroy the academic calender in the name of fighting for improved quality education. Whatever gains ASUU makes from the current strike has been outweighed by the the distortions the strike has created already in the academic calender system.

Here is my sincere and honest long term solution to the problems. We need to find away to proscribe ASUU or make it irrelevant. Govt (state and federal) have to hands off the control of higher education system and provide only annual grants (fixed by NASS) to them. The universities created by states will get their fixed grants from their state govt. Under this arrangement, the universities will have the independence and autonomy to fix their fees, generate revenue, run the programmes of their choice and determine their future. Their will be healthy competition which will engender progress and development in our higher institution. The NUC will continue to monitor the universities to ensure strict compliance with set standards. Any labour issue will be dealt with locally. UNN will not be strike because the Vice Chancelor of Unilag is having issues with his lecturers, and vice-versa. This is the arrangement that will guarantee SUSTAINABLE progress and development in the systems. (Note: This solution is blind to the RESONALITIES in power now. President Jonathan was not in power in the 70s, 80s, 90s,etc when ASUU went on strike. Those in power today may not be in power tomorrow).

Those who desire higher education should be ready to pay for it. After all, when they go to Ghana and other countries, they find ways of paying their fees. While basic education is compulsory, higher education is not.

The funds ASUU is currently asking for will better serve the nation if pumped into the BASIC education system. That is where govt, at all levels, have to pump in more funds. Until we fix the basic education systems we will continue to churn out unemployable graduates from our higher institutions even if we pump $100 billion into the universities.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Chartey(m): 2:42pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: @prof I just checked and I noticed you are still responding to this thread. I want to spare a few of my official/management time to engage you and I also hope some of your members (ASUU) are here to read too.

You have quite mentioned that tertiary education is expensive - That is a fact. However, we know that our entire educational system is in shambles and needs a thorough restructuring. Why is ASUU is so concerned about their unpaid earned allowances than repositioning the tertiary institution in the country

Question 2 - The success of every economy lies on the strength of its education. We have so many problems/issues (economic, social, financial and otherwise). Why can't our universities develop solutions to these our problems?

Question 3 - You claim that the main reason for the strike is provision of infrastructure in tertiary institution - Why kind of infrastructure are you talking about?

Question 4 - We have encountered, witnessed, listen and read about unruly behaviours of lecturers/teachers - What is the true role of lecturers in tertiary universities? Who should held accountable for these nonsense ill-behaved lecturers? What is the role of the Nigerian University Commission (NUC)?

Prof while addressing my questions, I can see some important comments/questions raised above. Also, address them.
Please did you finish reading his initial post?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: Why is ASUU is so concerned about their unpaid earned allowances than repositioning the tertiary institution in the country

That's a fallacy. If ASUU were only concerned about allowances, the strike would be over by now. The big problem for government is that they are balking at the amount ASUU is suggesting they need to inject to improve infrastructure.

The success of every economy lies on the strength of its education. We have so many problems/issues (economic, social, financial and otherwise). Why can't our universities develop solutions to these our problems?
You're putting the cart before the horse. How can our educational system contribute to the country when we have not invested enough in it?? It is easy to point to the huge contributions of universities abroad. My brother, do you know how much the respective governments pumped into those universities first? When the universities are not attracting the best minds, when the right facilities are not in place, how do you want the universities to contribute *meaningfully* to the country?

You claim that the main reason for the strike is provision of infrastructure in tertiary institution - Why kind of infrastructure are you talking about?
Perhaps you expect me to start mentioning expensive stuff like transmission electron microscope, no be so? My brother, all this money we are talking about can not even do that. We are still at the level of providing enough oscilloscopes so that a graduate of elect/elect will at least touch one before he graduates. We are still at the level of ensuring that students of chemistry use bunsen burners and not stoves. I am saying, drop even the 400 billion for the universities, and each one gets around 3 billion. 3 billion can only do so much.

It is after we are able to graduate students who have been exposed to all the *basics* we are not exposing them to now that we can then have a sound enough postgraduate system that can sustain the sort of research that requires things like the TEM etc that I mentioned.

Man, we have a long way to go in this country, and I sometimes still wonder why some of us are "throwing away our careers" here...

We have encountered, witnessed, listen and read about unruly behaviours of lecturers/teachers - What is the true role of lecturers in tertiary universities? Who should held accountable for these nonsense ill-behaved lecturers? What is the role of the Nigerian University Commission (NUC)?
These are questions that require long answers but you and I know the answers. In Nigeria, there are no mechanisms to hold anyone accountable for anything. The universities are no different.

I'm going to turn the tables on you students now. Did you notice that I, as a lecturer, have suggested a couple of ideas that students can build up to demand accountability from their lecturers? Have you noticed that there are few, if any takers?

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by uzoexcel(m): 2:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
@ prof femi plz i would need ur input in the second paragraph of my post.
btw, thank you again for spending your time 'trolling' with us in a matured manner... grin grin grin. God bless

uzoexcel: Random Musings

Prof Femi, thanks for enlightening us on the state universities issue. I have always wondered why they r involved in the first place.

Also, in the list of demands by ASUU to the FG, are you guys gonna asking the Federal Government for the establishment of more institutions in the country. Cos everyday we read in the news that more than 1million students in the country sit for jamb every year and there are always less than 200,000 spaces for this students?

Also prof, there are some things i think you failed to mention or touch upon.For example the issue of having outdated syllabus which most uni's/depts fail to review. I dont think the Federal Government is responsible for this.Most of my brothers/sisters here on nairaland will attest to this. For instance i read Elect/Elect Engr in a Federal Uni. The only programming course we did was in our second year and that was Fortran '77 and a little BASIC programming.FOR 5YEARS, just 1 redundant programming course!!!IN THIS JET AGE!!and we had to cram it!!!Can u just imagine...My first year, i was doing Bio 101 (3units), Chem 101 (4units), Chem 102/Organic Chemistry (4 units), Engineering drawing (firsy year down till second year) where we used T/square and cardboard sheets while the outside world is talking about autocad and Matlab....This were all freaking irrelevant and i dont think its the FG's fault..And it wasnt just in engineering.I remember my friends studying Microbiology, Crop science., AAnimal science etc and they all had to take engineering drawing courses which was quite irrelevant to their!!!Doesnt ASUU have a monitoring body for things like this? Please i would like an honest answer from you.

My annoyance with these strike ish is the 'disadvantage' it places both federal/state university graduates when compared to their private university counterparts in the labor/job market....Most jobs give certain age limits for graduate trainees, management trainees and with the strike some of these students experience coupled with the delay in some universities sending student lists to NYSC for them to be called up, we then find out that at least 60% of these guys r already at a disadvantage before venturing into the job market. For me i did a 5year course and finished years ago at a federal uni in the east before i was 21 even with 2 'strikes' and this is because i started school early and also was lucky..But this aint the case for everyone

Lastly, i think the current university students are also at fault in this matter...Please, i m not trying to be holistic cos i was once a student and i was once guilty of what i am about to point out....For heaven's state, This is our future!!!!!The government/politicians will keep toying with ASUU and vis a vis the students cos none of them have children in naijaa. The few who have put their children in private universities... What is NANS doing??If the NANS executives and most students were deeply affected and serious, they wouldav called the attention of the world to the going-on's in our educational system. Anonymously invite Aljazreera and other popular 'media' to take a look at the current situation and make a documentary on it..There is nothing our FG hates more than international embarrassments...By now, students should have 'gingered', organised themselves and matched onwards to Abuja and then to Aso rock/national assembly and camp there...NANS/SUG are rich enough to afford this else what do they use the SUG levy for?By the time the whole world sees more than 100,000 students shouting/protesting, something would at least be done in helping to ameliorate the sufferings of my fellow brothers.

Do u know that if the FG/Government officials reduce their allowance by 15%, it would be more than enough to fund the system and meet ASUU'S demands. I rest my case

**Please as i said earlier, i m not casting aspersions on anyone..I was once a student and i did not to anything in my time when universities were on strike 'cos i was none the wiser*****
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

Those who desire higher education should be ready to pay for it. After all, when they go to Ghana and other countries, they find ways of paying their fees. While basic education is compulsory, higher education is not.

The funds ASUU is currently asking for will better serve the BASIC education system. That is where govt, at all levels, have to pump in more funds. Until we fix the basic education systems we will continue to churn out unemployable graduates from our higher institutions even if we pump $100 billion into the universities.

If your submission above is what FG wants, then it should stop playing games and grow the nhuts to say so!

Aside from the part quoted, you were just being ignorantly superfluous.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
cowleg: DOES ASUU HAVE ANY CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS TO TELL AN ELECTED GOVERNMENT HOW TO RUN AND PLAN THE FUTURE OF A COUNTRY??

Does a mother (a stakeholder) need constitutional rights to warn a father who is determined not to plan for the future of his family?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Chartey(m): 2:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
Most people complaining about lazy and incompetent lecturers missed a point the Professor stressed. He said more money in a sector attracts better brains and due to the competition(and inevitable better monitoring) everybody works hard to safeguard his/her job. I think this is easy to grasp.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by uzoexcel(m): 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
Not to deviate from this thread but i will copy paste what the Venezuelan Ambassador told Mademoiselle Dora Akunyili during the rebrand naija 'period'.

He goes thus
“In Venezuela, since 1999, we’ve never had a raise in fuel price. We only pay $1.02 to fill the tank. What I pay for with N12,000 here (Nigeria), in Venezuela I’ll pay N400. What is happening is simple. We have 12 refineries in the United States, 18,000 gas stations in the West Coast. . That’s why we have 22,000 medical doctors assisting the people in the community. The people don’t go to the hospital; doctors go to their houses. This is because the money is handled by the Venezuelans. How come Nigeria that has more technical manpower than Venezuela, with 150 million people, and very intellectual people all around, not been able to get it right? So, it is important that Nigeria takes control of her resources. In venezuela, We have no illiterate people. We have over 17 new universities totally free. I graduated from the university without paying one cent, and take three meals every day, because we have the resources".

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
cowleg: [size=30pt]PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES ARE FUNDED THROUGH A HEAVY TUITION FEES, WHY ARE THEY NOT YET LIKE AMERICAN OR GHANAIAN UNIVERSITIES??[/size]

Hahaha. You have no idea what you've unearthed here. Read my lips: expensive as the thing private universities are, they are still not charging enough to provide the infrastructure, or recruit the international-caliber staff they need to be like US universities.

I'll translate for you: even the N1 million some universities are charging their students is NOT enough to properly fund the institutions to standard. And here we are fighting government to let you earn a degree while paying (N25,000?) and you're kicking us.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Chartey(m): 2:54pm On Oct 11, 2013
olu_kenzo :

If your submission above is what FG wants, then it should stop playing games and grow the nhuts to say so!

Aside from the part quoted, you were just being ignorantly superfluous.

Na political suicide be dat na. The whole country will turn against the government and, and you know how much GEJ wants a second term.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by orgasticdance: 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
@ prof.femi u keep emphasizing that tertiary education is so important. but i respectfully disagree and assert that within the nigerian context, primary and secondary education should be the priority not tertiary education. we are not an industrialized nation yet! In germany, america and many other industrialized societies, tertiary education flourished in the 18th and 19th century because industrialization created the need for a steady stream of trained employees and research institutions also developed to further the research required by industry/society. What we need is to ramp up the investments at the primary and secondary level in order to have majority of our citizens attain basic quantitative and literacy skills; vocational and technical institutions should be encouraged but they should spring out to serve the needs of industry and not vice versa. we have all these tertiary institutions that end up churning out graduates into an already saturated job market because our institutions are currently serving a non-existent need. All the money in the world dished out to ASUU will not solve the larger problem of job scarcity and lack of industrialization.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Idrismusty97(m): 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Yes, yes. But like I have asked everyone and no one seems to be ready to answer, how do you suggest we recruit good lecturers to replace the bad ones How many first class students do you know who want to lecture? Can you kindly tell me why?
How did unilorin recruit good lecturers. Ever since unilorin pull out of ASUU strike they have been progressing rapidly.Now ASUU are angry about unilorin action of sharing they own percent of the N30billion allowance.

https://www.nairaland.com/1473428/ASUU-warns-unilorin-against-sharing

This have given me an hint that ASUU is mainly fighting for their earn allowance. Whats your say on this prof.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:57pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingspin: The decay in our education is beyond the issue of bring money. The same challenge in the educational sector is also found in power, oil, football etc, it all a National problem. So to start getting it right attitudinal change, obedient to rule of law need to get involve, our people need to be re-oriented positively. Than for our education sector the foundation which is at the primay and secondary school level need to get it right 100% than shall the universities graduate or produce a quality graduate. Good input (basic) good output (university). We need to go back to the basic level of education. The type of university graduate we have today could be trace to the qualities of our primay and seconday school. We should to do more at the basic level than shall the quality of the output (graduate) is guarantee.

If you read my post at all, I stressed that one primary difference between tertiary education and other levels is that tertiary is much more expensive. I totally agree with you that we need to take care of all levels, and that students are damaged right from the lowest levels. But ASUU is a union of *tertiary education* teachers, and we start the fight from there. If you pay careful attention, you will notice that ASUU usually speaks for all tiers of education, but of course, must focus its fight on the most pressing aspect to it.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Idrismusty97: How did unilorin recruit good lecturers. Ever since unilorin pull out of ASUU strike they have been progressing rapidly
When you say Unilorin has good lecturers, what exactly does that mean? That on average, the undergraduate degree class of Unilorin lecturers is better than other universities? That on average, they publish many times more (and better) than other universities? Please enlighten me.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by awodman: 3:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
Prof am still waiting for your response to my questions
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
orgasticdance: @ prof.femi u keep emphasizing that tertiary education is so important. but i respectfully disagree and assert that within the nigerian context, primary and secondary education should be the priority not tertiary education. we are not an industrialized nation yet! In germany, america and many other industrialized societies, tertiary education flourished in the 18th and 19th century because industrialization created the need for a steady stream of trained employees and research institutions also developed to further the research required by industry/society. What we need is to ramp up the investments at the primary and secondary level in order to have majority of our citizens attain basic quantitative and literacy skills; vocational and technical institutions should be encouraged but they should spring out to serve the needs of industry and not vice versa. we have all these tertiary institutions that end up churning out graduates into an already saturated job market because our institutions are currently serving a non-existent need. All the money in the world dished out to ASUU will not solve the larger problem of job scarcity and lack of industrialization.

Can I ask you: when should we start to *plan* to be industrialized? Even if government injected those funds today, the real impact would not be felt till 10 years (my random estimate). Per my opinion, you're making two mistakes:

1. The context is different now than it was when the US and the others you mentioned came up. We run a *global*, mobile economy now, which means that the NEED created by industrialization elsewhere is felt EVERYWHERE. Otherwise, can you explain why countries such as India and Taiwan are benefiting so much from industrialization primarily in the US

2. That government cannot address the problems of education at all levels simultaeously. Can you please tell me what aspects of primary and secondary schools are so hard (or expensive) to repair that government needs a pass from taking care of the universities to tend to?
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by furezra(m): 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
Prof Femi thank you. Since Federal Government isn't listening to this plea, why don't you call off the strike and fight another time. Also schools generate income. You get income from school fees from students, Rent for stores, transport services. I believe you can source funds from within to run the school very well. Most school leaders are corrupt like FG. They don't have the students at heart
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Boss13: 3:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
@Prof I think you did not answer my question properly. The only thing I can take out of this and the strike your colleagues have embarked on is that you and them need more money - Yes. Have your colleagues told the general public what the money will be used for? They attribute it to infrastructures. Infrastructures can be building extra classrooms and hotels. Your colleagues claim to be academics but have failed to inform the general public via printed publications their basic reason for the strike and highlighting remedies.

Since ASUU is claiming that the Govt. is the reason why our universities are in shambles, I will also tell you that the reason why our economy is not growing exponentially is because you and your colleagues are not thinking. We have local problems/issues and our academics are saying if you want me to solve these problems give me money (true or false/).

You have also failed to explain why lecturers still teach from outdated curriculum and never try to update themselves with recent happenings or adapt to the ever changing world of today. You have also failed to explain why ill-equipped lecturers are hostile to students and molest their students. You have also failed to say what lecturers are doing to curb cultism that is robbing us of talented youths.

Now why should I believe you that once these monies have been disbursed, that you and your colleagues will implement whatever so called reasons that have warranted for this strike action.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
in my interaction thus far with the prof he has admitted that:

1. Some part of ASUU demand is silly - like asking for the transfer of landed property to university

2. If he is in GEJ shoe he wont met ASUU demand in full riight now but will explain to them "sincere" position of things

3. Most lecturers are unqualified, corrupt and unfit to be in the university system

having made him admit the aforementioned, i have no further interest in this discussion.

Thank you all

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
awodman: 1) when ASUU went on strike in July they said its emphatically about their allowance and they won't call off until the allowance is paid in full..Isn't it deceitful for ASUU along the way to now turn around to claim they are fighting for the good of education like your post suggests

I think, if you read my post, it either makes a case for the challenges facing education, and why I feel the ASUU strike is for that cause (as well as our allowances, which I never apologized for. We earned them). You can either agree with the arguments I made in my post, or fault them. I will meet you when you fault them.

2) How did ASUU calculate that their earned allowance is. 87 billion because my source tells me that calculation was not done in conjunction with FG
Has the government come out at any point to reject ASUU's calculations? To the best of my knowledge, the calculations were done using formulas that were agreed to (at least in principle, if nothing else) with government. If government wanted oversight over the process, don't tell me NUC could not have done that for them.

3)you raised up an issue about taking 70 billion from TETFUND to make up a huge part of the 100 billion released by Govt..but the question is the lead of the team who participated in securing this money is an ASUU executive..why didn't he cry out at that stage
You speak as if they sat on this for months, with the ASUU guys agreeing all along and then suddenly crying out. Like I told someone earlier, working with government, there is so much smoke and mirrors that one needs to be careful. I assure you that when the ASUU guys realized what was happening, they objected at the earliest opportunity. That is the information I have and I will stand by it until corrected.

4) why is it that why we universities keep crying about lack of funds much of TETFUND grant is left unaccessed
Even grants meant for scholarship studies by you guys
www.nairaland.com/1471143/n73.87-billion-tetfund-grant-left
Good question. I admit to you that part of this is down to academics themselves. You see, there is red tape in the system. On the other hand though, most of the red tape is there because of heavy-handed attempts at installing check and balances. However, I am also made to understand that the government often frustrates implementers by refusing to release funds at the right time.

5)Lastly like octopus asked what is responsible for the low quality of graduates in the social sciences who don't need laboratories[/quote]
Rubbish begets rubbish. When we started running a system that could not recruit or retain good lecturers in ANY discipline, we started a process of watering down the quality of our departments, be they computer engineering or philosophy. Over many "generations" of recruits, the quality has gone down. Also, the absence of effect accountability systems has allowed people to just coast along, neglecting self-development.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by micogah(m): 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
Thanks Prof.
I think that though ASUU is part of our problems; they should be supported since, the strike, for now, seems to be the only way out.
I am an affected student but I believe ASUU should follow this strike to the end for some reasons:
1. If ASUU calls off now, in 1-2 years time they will still be back again on the same issue!
2. We claim we are better than Ghana in education. Well, on my part: How can we spend 8-12% of our budget on education and still claim to be better than Ghana who spends about 40% or there about on their education?
3. If we claim we are better than Ghana educationally, why are most of our students running to study in Ghana? Doubt me: who can honestly say he doesn't know one or two persons who study, or plan to study in Ghana?

So, I think ASUU demands should be met and then we hope for a better Educational System in Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:19pm On Oct 11, 2013
oxford: in my interaction thus far with the prof he has admitted that:

1. Some part of ASUU demand is silly - like asking for the transfer of landed property to university

2. If he is in GEJ shoe he wont met ASUU demand in full riight now but will explain to them "sincere" position of things

3. Most lecturers are unqualified, corrupt and unfit to be in the university system

having made him admit the aforementioned, i have no further interest in this discussion.

Thank you all

I am saddened that you turn out to be a lying coward. Is this the import of our discussion? Thank God people can read for themselves.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Idrismusty97(m): 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:
When you say Unilorin has good lecturers, what exactly does that mean? That on average, the undergraduate degree class of Unilorin lecturers is better than other universities? That on average, they publish many times more (and better) than other universities? Please enlighten me.
Yes to all prof!.Never forget this saying "An idle hand is the devil work shop"Unilorin are always busy finding an alternative in building up Nigerian undergraduate inspite of the falling educational system of nigeria.You once spoke about aikido.Well to put it short unilorin is an aikidoka.You can see for your self,

http://m.allafrica.com/stories/201309100586.html/?maneref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DUnilorin%2Bfound%2Bnew%2Bmalaria%2Bdrug%26btnG%3D%26client%3Dms-opera-mini-android%26channel%3Dnew%26gws_rd%3Dcr

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/unilorin-dons-invent-biometric-machine/

All we do is complain of how bad our education is,we criticize everything without actions but i will tell you one thing prof.I HAVE NEVER SEEN A MONUMENT ERECTED FOR A CRITIC.Unilorin has shown corresponding and positive action to Nigeria education.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Bababo(m): 3:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
Though,i am a victim of the present strike, but hearing at last,sensable,didatic and advice filled words,from one of the two parties involve,gives me indeed joy and have for real cleared the cloud of dust.
Though,it seems a bitter pile,now,for we the Nigerian students,but Nigerian Education System,needs it to be there and in the end,comes gladtidings.
However,i pray they come to term soon.
In all,the write up,interview or whatsoever was well written,construtive and fascinating,ignore it,sure! ve lost much about the strike and obviously,will remain in the dark.
Having said this, the write up made my day.
Thanks prof!Thanks OP!!God bless Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by complete1(m): 3:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
prof.femi:

Do you know the consequences if what you are suggesting happens? I don't think you really do. All of you are so eager to chase the poor lecturers out of the university (news flash: I AM TOO) that you're not thinking through workable ways to make it happen.

There is no dancing round the issue: education needs to be properly funded, if only to replace the lecturers you all hate so much.

prof plsssssss tell me d truth,does it mean as @ today there is still no progress on how to end d strike?no agreement have been reached??am a student ooo,and prof ASUU should know that dis strike is not affecting those politicians or der children,is der still hope to resume dis year??
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by obayaya(m): 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: After going through most of the posts on this thread, my verdict still remains that the solution to the problems in our university system does not lie in ASUU or their incessant strikes. In fact, ASUU is part of the problem.

We must not forget that ASUU strikes did not start today. ASUU has been going on strikes since the late 70s. The problems for which ASUU embarked on strike in 2013 are similar to those for which ASUU called for strikes in the past, including the late 70s.

So what has changed? Today its president Jonathan versus new ASUU president but the ISSUES are the same. The problems are the same. What do we do to a strategy that has not worked since the 70s? It is only a fool that keeps doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

From my understanding of the issues, once a new leadership of ASUU emerges, they announce their presence through strike. If not for this current strike, many Nigerians were not aware that ASUU now has a new leadership. It seems the performance of the leadership of ASUU is based on the number or lenght of strikes it embarks upon within its tenure.

Yes, there are problems in our universities but these problems CANNOT and can NEVER be solved by ASUU strikes. If the strikes embarked upon by ASUU since the 70s have not solved these problems, why would that of 2013 be different? If 3 decades after ASUU embarked on its first strike we are still talking about the same problems, then shouldn't we be looking for new and creative ways of solving these problems?

If anything, I think incessant strikes have WORSENED the problems. Strikes only provide temporary benefits for the lecturers and maybe in some cases more funds for the schools. But these little benefits could have also been achieved through other means without shutting down the schools.

Moreover, what we need is not temporary benefits. We need a SYSTEM that WORKS. We need a SYSTEM that is sustainable. We need a SYSTEM that is predictable. We need is system that will yield long term benefits and on a continuous basis. We a need a SYSTEM that is consistent.

We do not need ASUU. ASUU, by embarking on incessant strikes, is now part of the problem. It does not make sense to CONSISTENTLY distort/destroy the academic calender in the name of fighting for improved quality education. Whatever gains ASUU makes from the current strike has been outweighed by the the distortions the strike has created already in the academic calender system.

Here is my sincere and honest long term solution to the problems. We need to find away to proscribe ASUU or make it irrelevant. Govt (state and federal) have to hands off the control of higher education system and provide only annual grants (fixed by NASS) to them. The universities created by states will get their fixed grants from their state govt. Under this arrangement, the universities will have the independence and autonomy to fix their fees, generate revenue, run the programmes of their choice and determine their future. Their will be healthy competition which will engender progress and development in our higher institution. The NUC will continue to monitor the universities to ensure strict compliance with set standards. Any labour issue will be dealt with locally. UNN will not be strike because the Vice Chancelor of Unilag is having issues with his lecturers, and vice-versa. This is the arrangement that will guarantee SUSTAINABLE progress and development in the systems. (Note: This solution is blind to the RESONALITIES in power now. President Jonathan was not in power in the 70s, 80s, 90s,etc when ASUU went on strike. Those in power today may not be in power tomorrow).

The funds ASUU is currently asking for will better serve the nation if pumped into the BASIC education system. That is where govt, at all levels, have to pump in more funds. Until we fix the basic education systems we will continue to churn out unemployable graduates from our higher institutions even if we pump $100 billion into the universities.

bros I like your idea.... but the government can never agree to hands off the university. and the fees is gonna triple if that happens
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: Have your colleagues told the general public what the money will be used for?
Perhaps my colleagues made the mistake of thinking that the average Nigerian is so ignorant, selfish and me-now that informing them if what they want to do is a waste of time. Me I don't feel that way, which is why I would spend so much time here.

Has the government told you that they don't know what infrastructural needs there are? Are you aware of the existence of a report on the needs assessment exercise carried out on the universities

I will also tell you that the reason why our economy is not growing exponentially is because you and your colleagues are not thinking. We have local problems/issues and our academics are saying if you want me to solve these problems give me money
I agree with you that the current class of lecturers has not been able to pull their weights enough in moving the country forward. Two reasons for that. First, as I have emphasized all day, we are not able to recruit the best students year in year out, meaning that you are more likely to find inept lecturers than if you had a functional system. Secondly, the tools we need to work are often not there. Let me tell you, *I* have a legacy I want to leave, and by God's grace, I am finding a way to etch it out bit by painful bit. However, it is hard work, and I can appreciate why many of my colleagues would just give up and act "sidon look".

You have also failed to explain why lecturers still teach from outdated curriculum and never try to update themselves with recent happenings or adapt to the ever changing world of today
Dude, I'll speak for myself. For every hour of class I teach, I prepare no less than 4 hours on average. *I* can teach in essentially any university in the world (if not at the PG level, at least at the undergraduate level), bar my accent. I am a teacher, proud to see the faces of students light up when I enlighten them. I know colleagues who can make the same boast.

Are there lecturers doing what you said? Yes. But as I have complained over and over again, is part of the problem not that you are not recruiting the right people

You have also failed to explain why ill-equipped lecturers are hostile to students and molest their students.
There are indisciplined lecturers, just as there are such in the ranks of every profession in Nigeria. Why is that new to you?

You have also failed to say what lecturers are doing to curb cultism that is robbing us of talented youths.

Cukltism is a social vice. Lectures can only try to do what they can, but the root causes are social.

Now why should I believe you that once these monies have been disbursed, that you and your colleagues will implement whatever so called reasons that have warranted for this strike action.
It is your choice to believe us or not. I have performed what I consider my responsibility to posterity by informing you. Believe what you must.
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by proffemi: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
Idrismusty97: Yes to all prof!.Never forget this saying "An idle hand is the devil work shop"Unilorin are always busy finding an alternative in building up Nigerian undergraduate inspite of the falling educational system of nigeria.You once spoke about aikido.Well to put it short unilorin is an aikidoka. You can see for your self,

Unilorin has its successes. It also benefits from goodwill because people see them as more organized, whereas, most of the benefits they are enjoying are fought for by our sweat and the tears of our students.

But more to the point: even with all of that, please pick up a ranking of the universities in Nigeria (either webometric or by pure research) to see whether university of Ilorin is "better by far".
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by obayaya(m): 3:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: @Prof I think you did not answer my question properly. The only thing I can take out of this and the strike your colleagues have embarked on is that you and them need more money - Yes. Have your colleagues told the general public what the money will be used for? They attribute it to infrastructures. Infrastructures can be building extra classrooms and hotels. Your colleagues claim to be academics but have failed to inform the general public via printed publications their basic reason for the strike and highlighting remedies.

Since ASUU is claiming that the Govt. is the reason why our universities are in shambles, I will also tell you that the reason why our economy is not growing exponentially is because you and your colleagues are not thinking. We have local problems/issues and our academics are saying if you want me to solve these problems give me money (true or false/).

You have also failed to explain why lecturers still teach from outdated curriculum and never try to update themselves with recent happenings or adapt to the ever changing world of today. You have also failed to explain why ill-equipped lecturers are hostile to students and molest their students. You have also failed to say what lecturers are doing to curb cultism that is robbing us of talented youths.

bros, have you heard of the NEEDS assessment? the report Is on ASUU website.. pls help yourself
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
Chartey:
Na political suicide be dat na. The whole country will turn against the government and, and you know how much GEJ wants a second term.

If that is how the Jonathan government sees it, then so be it. The political angle you say, na them sabi!
Re: ASUU Strike: A Lecturer Speaks by Nobody: 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
They are only concerned about earned allowances. Even their sensible colleagues are beginning to question the motive of the strike, read here www.nairaland.com/1474417/ASUU-strike-resolution-ui-ASUU

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Jamb 2017: Top 10 States According To The Number Of Applicants / Military Beats Students Inside Uniport / WAEC Students Destroy School Building After Being Duped By Principal In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.