Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? (15132 Views)

Photo Of A Proud Dad Bathing His New Born Baby Goes Viral On FB / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Is It Right For Mothers To Tongue Kiss Children (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by biafranqueen: 10:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
My father is one of those parents that the OP mentioned. I am sad that we did not learn it and my husband has no patience to teach the children and I. I am trying to teach myself but I need someone to converse with. We just know basic greetings and words sad My children will learn Igbo when we relocate finally to 9ja. At least I made sure they have full Native name even though it is hard for the teachers and mates to pronounce it correctly. My daughter enjoy correcting them with her bossy self. As for everything else I make sure I am teaching them the culture and they are very proud of themselves. Even for my sons kindergarten graduation he asked to wear his traditional clothes instead of suit cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Chamackh(m): 10:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
kreami diva:

No vex o. Na my phone dey write ibo instead of igbo. I don correct am.

Ewekwala iwe.
just an observation anyway. Its well with you.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Chamackh(m): 10:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
kreami diva:

No vex o. Na my phone dey write ibo instead of igbo. I don correct am.

Ewekwala iwe.
just an observation anyway. Its well with you dear.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Afam4eva(m): 10:37pm On Oct 10, 2013
I have made it a rule never to speak to any Igbo person that can't speak Igbo and is proud of it. I don't want any form of inferiority in my life. I almost slapped a woman and i regret not slapping her that i heard talking about how allowing her children speaking Igbo will spoil their tongue. These are the 1diotic elements we're breeding. These are the same people that can deny their roots. They're the same people that can deny their father and mother if need be. I think a law should be passed by the government to make it compulsory for people to be able to understand their native turn if they must seek employment in Nigeria. These 1diocy has to be curbed.

9 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Afam4eva(m): 10:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
See the people viewing the thread compared to those viewing other threads and you'll see that people are not even interested in discussing the topic.

2 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Anvaller: 10:45pm On Oct 10, 2013
Okay very interesting topic, I kind of agree with majority of the comments here but this is what I would like to add.

Firstly, some parents erroneously think that depriving their child the ability to learn their local language will automatically enhance their ability to learn English... Totally wrong... Research and simple observations have shown that little kids are able to learn as many languages as they are exposed to synchronously and spontaneously. So these type of parents are just plain ignorant and are depriving their children from reaching their potentials.

Secondly, it would be a dumb assumption for anyone to think that he is somehow better speaking English only than another person who speaks both English and a local language that he or she refuses to learn to speak. In fact these days, society measure one's level of intelligence based on how much language u speak. It doesn't matter what language that is.

Thirdly, some of these group of Nigerians strongly believe that the more they detach themselves from their local attributes including most especially the language, the more American or European they would become. This is also totally completely false. I know a lot of Nigerians including myself that speak both Yoruba and English without accent flawlessly. This allows u to integrate in ur Nigerian community when u speak ur local language without stress and also in the western community when u speak fluent English with unambiguous accent, either way u win. So those ones who are detaching themselves are just losers and some of them are realizing it tho.

Lastly, it's a known fact that no matter how much u detach urself from where u actually belong, u still can't be a part of where you do not belong or those who u are pretending to be, no matter how much american accent u speak for example, u still can not pretend to be African-American cos when the chips are down, the "african-americans" would tell u that u are african and not "african-american" So would u then go back to being Nigerian that u never really were? So parents, think about what you are doing.

And last I checked, the African Americans in America "stereo-typically" do not have that much impressive image amongst the class of people in America if anything, Nigerians/ Africans in general have a better image than them in terms of education, socio economic status and low crime. So why would anyone want to lose his/her own original identity and values just to pretend to be African-American? At least you obviously can't pretend to be white American.

Black folks/Africans/Nigerians, we seriously need to start thinking about the stuffs that we do. The world is looking at us and I bet they are laughing at us but are we so dumb to figure this out.

5 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by kreamidiva(f): 10:48pm On Oct 10, 2013
My daughter would be 3 years old on the 30th of this month. She's in nursery one. I was shocked the day she came back from school reciting one-otu,two-abuo,three-ato to ten-iri! I carried her up,hailed her,kissed her.... I was proud of her!

And this school is one of the best in my state. When we went to register her there,the proprietress told us that they don't use British curriculum that they are Nigerians and they use Nigerian curriculum. Truly,I'm not disappointed.

5 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by umoh461(m): 10:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
thing is some children don't even know where they come from..
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by obailala(m): 11:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
Afam4eva: I have made it a rule never to speak to any Igbo person that can't speak Igbo and is proud of it. I don't want any form of inferiority in my life. I almost slapped a woman and i regret not slapping her that i heard talking about how allowing her children speaking Igbo will spoil their tongue. These are the 1diotic elements we're breeding. These are the same people that can deny their roots. They're the same people that can deny their father and mother if need be. I think a law should be passed by the government to make it compulsory for people to be able to understand their native turn if they must seek employment in Nigeria. These 1diocy has to be curbed.

Afam you have said it all in ur bolded statement, 'idiotic elements.' It's just a case of inferiority complex which has plagued the black race worldwide (especially Nigerians). The only time Nigerians raise their heads up and scream 'naija for life' is when they are around Ghanians or people from smaller african countries. It's only Nigerians (especially our girls) that would go to Russia and pick up an American or British accent in one month; it's really embarrassing.

Isn't it a shame that other races regard us as inferior and we ourselves also see ourselves as inferior? undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by TerryCarr(m): 11:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
duni04: How exactly does speaking one's native language benefit anyone? Our official language is english, while almost all of us are at least proficient in pidgin. The world is becoming globalised [/b]and english has become the recognised language of communication. [b]All this tribal and sentimental attachment to native language whatever is jus t unnecessary and without purpose IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLfPuc6_2OI
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by tiebe: 11:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
jennykadry: Lol what is wrong with "hello Aunty how are you?" Hello is a form of greeting you know.....what has "respecting" our cultural values done for our country? Is Nigeria better than these developed countries?

You got called Aunty and you are sad? You should be lucky you got called aunty and not your first name

oh? so, 'respecting' is useless? i guess the word 'good afternoon/ goodmorning' which are english words do not make it a little clear that even the 'westerners' appreciate some culture? that's their version of Otutu-oma. besides, when you meet proper cultured children in the Uk etc, you see they greet u proper. they dnt simply say 'hello'. its children of 'regular' brits who simply say 'hello'.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by UyiIredia(m): 11:36pm On Oct 10, 2013
rockbase360: One thing I have noticed about foreigners who migrated to the united states from LATIN/south america,FRANCE and some asian countries like china, japan and india is that they try as much as possible to instill their native culture and traditional beliefs in their kids. Most of their kids are bi-lingual. Back in undergrad school days, most of my chinese and indian friends that were born here spoke their native tongue without fear or shame. Conversely, the average nigerian parent unfortunately believes that it is not in the best interest of the child to learn their native tongue. As a matter of fact naming the "pickin" a naija name is bad for his future..OYA NA THIS BOY VICTOR O JARE...

Scene 1 (Real Story)

A well educated professor of African Literature is "allowed" by the pastor of a popular nigerian church in the disapora to speak to the members. She grabs the microphone and starts by telling the parents about a summer program (like many others) that is designed for children of africans born in the diaspora to help teach them their native language( Reading and Writing).. BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...... nobody signs up their kids. The woman leaves her contact and leaves and as soon as the woman leaves, the typical naija church gossip starts "Who does she think she is"? "My son can't learn igbo o" "My children are AMERICANISED NO" "We are in america now o " blah blah blah blah.. and on and on.......it was depressing!

Precisely the kind of stupidity Tai Solarin and Fela bemoaned. I am glad I have a native name which I much prefer to my rarely used English name. I wish I could speak my language but my parents made the mistake many parents make of speaking only English to me from birth and Edo to themselves, subsequently I was good at hearing Edo but not speaking it, only understand bits here and there: we should learn like the Indians not to be ashamed of our culture.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by tiebe: 11:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
Anvaller: Okay very interesting topic, I kind of agree with majority of the comments here but this is what I would like to add.

Firstly, some parents erroneously think that depriving their child the ability to learn their local language will automatically enhance their ability to learn English... Totally wrong... Research and simple observations have shown that little kids are able to learn as many languages as they are exposed to synchronously and spontaneously. So these type of parents are just plain ignorant and are depriving their children from reaching their potentials.

Thirdly, some of these group of Nigerians strongly believe that the more they detach themselves from their local attributes including most especially the language, the more American or European they would become. This is also totally completely false. I know a lot of Nigerians including myself that speak both Yoruba and English without accent flawlessly.

Lastly, it's a known fact that no matter how much u detach urself from where u actually belong, u still can't be a part of where you do not belong or those who u are pretending to be, no matter how much american accent u speak for example, u still can not pretend to be African-American cos when the chips are down, the "african-americans" would tell u that u are african and not "african-american" So would u then go back to being Nigerian that u never really were?

all i can say is, Tell them, tell them, tell them!

no matter what you do, where u go, how far you are away from home, you'll always be known as Nigerian born (insert new nationality here) or (insert new nationality here) of Nigerian descent!

Learning your native tongue first as a child does not spoil your english in anyway.(as long as your English teacher is a good one and you learn English before your mouth is set in its ways!) besides, if french, spanish etc accents are sexy why cant igbo accent be sexy?isnt cos the people with the accent market it to seem sexy? y cant u market YA own?

3 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 11:53pm On Oct 10, 2013
I would want my children to speak igbo, even though I am not fluent. They must learn by force by fire. sad angry

All these inferiority complex get on my nerves. How does speaking your native tongue make you sound bush ? undecided

All this trying to be more British or American won't work. You're black !! That's a big enough hurdle for you.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by chizel: 12:01am On Oct 11, 2013
I keep saying it that we Nigerians are very fake when it comes to appreciating who we are and what we have,we tend to copy from other people without giving a dam what the consequences maybe more especially we the igbo's and that is really very bad and this is where I doff my heart to the hausa's,they love and speak their language wherever they maybe find themselves,if it's possible for them to do so in heaven I bet you they would do so with pride.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by CoolO: 12:04am On Oct 11, 2013
I was given birth to in the north basawa zaria,my parent were in the army,i have lived in almost every city in nigeria from kaduna to ibadan to lagos to edo state and back to the north sokoto and to fct all these place i have live just in a space of 16 year,i understand little in all of the language of the respective state but my own language which is urhobo i am just starting to learn,i am what you call a true nigeria pigin is our official language,i never though i will need any of the nigeria language not still i was 15 or so that is when i get to know that i need every language i could learn.i will like to advice every parent to teach ur children ur native language and the language of the environmet u find ur self cos it will help,talking from experience.urhobo wa do ?
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by mayoroflag(m): 12:30am On Oct 11, 2013
This is an introspective topic so I don't expect many to be here.

The language crisis is a further fallout of African inferiority complex and chronic xenophilia.

We probably have a larger population of people each speaking yoruba, hausa or igbo than people who speak say Italian, Greek even german.

One of our major shortcomings as africans is our failure to transfer knowledge as well as desirable cultures in other languages to our native language. Is it far-fetched if a tv station is run as an Ibo-only station which can show some animal documentaries in local igbo language?

Is it not pathetic that more than 50 years after independence hardly is any university degree taught for skills other tham language in Africa?

I realize that even people with scandalizing diction insist on soring ears with their dismastery of english. Girls you want to talk to in local language insist on forming accent - with very irritating outcome- even on their disastrous use of english.

I can go on and on...

1 Like

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by honifome(m): 12:32am On Oct 11, 2013
My language yoruba is sophisticated enough to be proud of.The literature,grammar,religon and history are well documented.There are many scholars who are being recognised globally.As a true descendant of oduduwa,it's not just about the language but every aspects.OMO ALE NI FOWO OSI JUWE ILE BABA E(it's a bastard that gives wrong direction to his fathers house)

3 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by mayoroflag(m): 12:37am On Oct 11, 2013
chizel: I keep saying it that we Nigerians are very fake when it comes to appreciating who we are and what we have,we tend to copy from other people without giving a dam what the consequences maybe more especially we the igbo's and that is really very bad and this is where I doff my heart to the hausa's,they love and speak their language wherever they maybe find themselves,if it's possible for them to do so in heaven I bet you they would do so with pride.

To second what you have just said, if anyone has the time, go listen to Tafawa Balewa or Sir Ahmadu Bello on youtube! Hausa language did not dent their diction in english by any means!
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 12:41am On Oct 11, 2013
Am nt hapy atall. I grew up in d west nd learnt yoruba bt even if my parent spoke igbo 2me ,i undastood litle nd converse les 2dem in igbo. Nw we are in d east nd i was apy at first dat am realy goin 2learn my native language. Bt d worst apund. As i tried my best 2speak igbo my frnds nd every one dat heard me talk only lafd at me whch made me felt bad . No one was wilin 2teach me bt day kept on lafin. Bt nw am apy dat i ave a closest frnd who is proud of me even wit my bad intonatn while tryn 2speak igbo. Its fun nw. I tink d oda frnds wia bunch of suckers

2 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by grandstar(m): 1:14am On Oct 11, 2013
LausDeo: Now the one language you understand, you can't even speak well. (or write well)
This is a callous statement. he isnt perfect and neither are you. what of kids who cant speak their native tongues but only pidgin?
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by achi4u(m): 1:39am On Oct 11, 2013
Ucheosefoh: Nigerians in other countries case is a small one I know kids here in igbo land that can not speak or hear igbo. Its so bad
my brother that one dey break my heart. How can a person born and brought up in alaigbo can't speak their language?
Some of them are very shameful to teach their kids our native tongue because mama Ngozi and sister Ifeoma are teaching their kids those akata english!

Everyone want to belong even when the parents can't speak the foreign language fluently...just copying everything we see.

My kids (ejima) of a year plus are speaking and hearing my igbo language very well, now they've started schooling I can hear them speak some little english language.

Bottom line :I'm preparing them for future engagement in every field they can find themselves,both politics because in my own side of alaigbo you can't give ur campaign speech in a foreign tongue.

Na who born this one?grin
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by chinaman666(m): 1:58am On Oct 11, 2013
I'm Chinese, lived in the US, proud to speak Chinese everywhere... Anyway, I just want to know if this is mainly a problem that affect Igbos (since most of the stories here concern this group) or do other ethnic groups (especially Yorubas) feel the same shame towards their mother tongue? I would ask my Nigerian colleagues if this question weren't so sensitive and potentially offensive. Thanks.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by achi4u(m): 2:18am On Oct 11, 2013
Cykik: Am nt hapy atall. I grew up in d west nd learnt yoruba bt even if my parent spoke igbo 2me ,i undastood litle nd converse les 2dem in igbo. Nw we are in d east nd i was apy at first dat am realy goin 2learn my native language. Bt d worst apund. As i tried my best 2speak igbo my frnds nd every one dat heard me talk only lafd at me whch made me felt bad . No one was wilin 2teach me bt day kept on lafin. Bt nw am apy dat i ave a closest frnd who is proud of me even wit my bad intonatn while tryn 2speak igbo. Its fun nw. I tink d oda frnds wia bunch of suckers
Nne but this ur short hand is very good.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 3:16am On Oct 11, 2013
One major cause of underdevelopment in Africa is langauge.The level of our development in every other aspect is a reflection of the level of development of our langages.No single African language has a written form.
Have you ever wondered why many so called graduates are semi-literates? It's because,most students do not have deep understandings of the language they're being taught in school.Tell me how you want to solve a problem you don't understand
Try and teach two children,with the same level of IQ,a particular topic.One in english,and the other,in his/her mother tongue,and see who will understand it better.Our problem is,we use foreign languages in our schools in a society where the mother-tongue still rule.It is high time we understood that foreign languages-especially english- is insuffient for our cultural expressions.We already have a whiteman teaching yoruba language in a Nigerian school.I pray we'll never have to pay foreigners to learn our langauge in the future.

2 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by TerryCarr(m): 4:34am On Oct 11, 2013
enigma_otr: One major cause of underdevelopment in Africa is langauge.[/b]The level of our development in every other aspect is a reflection of the level of development of our langages.[b]No single African language has a written form.
Have you ever wondered why many so called graduates are semi-literates? It's because,most students do not have deep understandings of the language they're being taught in school.Tell me how you want to solve a problem you don't understand
Try and teach two children,with the same level of IQ,a particular topic.One in english,and the other,in his/her mother tongue,and see who will understand it better.Our problem is,we use foreign languages in our schools in a society where the mother-tongue still rule.It is high time we understood that foreign languages-especially english- is insuffient for our cultural expressions.We already have a whiteman teaching yoruba language in a Nigerian school.I pray we'll never have to pay foreigners to learn our langauge in the future.
no it's not. anyway most of Africa languages are written in Latin so their is not much problem with a written form
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by drexx(m): 4:50am On Oct 11, 2013
My dad, a graduate of English has never used English with us at home. He believes in training his kids with the native language. That's why I don't have issues in communicating with anybody old and young....... Last two Sundays, I was invited to speak in a church and on getting there, I realised that the place is very interior, if I dare use English, nobody would flow with me. I switched on to our dialect and it was amazing how I connected with the congregation
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by kandiikane(m): 5:11am On Oct 11, 2013
Well, I am sending my children to African so my grandma can instill the language and customs in them so I don't need to worry.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by oroagba: 5:32am On Oct 11, 2013
A-ZeD:
May be if we do away with all these Nigerian languages, Nigerians would learn to vote for credible candidates and not someone who speaks his language.

PS: I don't speak my parents language because i haven't found any use for it. When i find a compelling reason, i'd learn it.
O ma se o (what a pity). However, can you throw more light on how language affects voting?
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by georgesylva(m): 6:17am On Oct 11, 2013
grin our own tins na upside down. Nowonda they cal us BLACK MONKEY'S.
My dad refused 2 make English ma numba1, 2 or even 3 language n im paying dearly 4 it. At 25 im just gaining confidence wen it comes 2 speaking my dialect. Its crazy.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by MMotimo: 6:39am On Oct 11, 2013
@Topic

I have just about resigned myself to the likelihood that our kids will not speak Yoruba, certainly not the same way we speak it and I am satisfied with them just being able to understand it.
In the past, it used to bother me, but that was a long time ago
Now, I don't dwell on that sentiment, I am more focused on the potential that exist in their minds, the impact they can make on society, the possibilities that exist for them and what we, as parents, can contribute towards that
Incidentally, ability to speak Yoruba has no bearing on that
The sentiment is a "nice to have" not a "need to have" Ability or inability to speak their mother tongue does not and can never define them.

As for proud or no proud, I think that convo belongs amongst those with inactive minds, when did that become an effizy thing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Between Your Mom And Dad, Who Gave You The Real Beating Of Your Life? / My 16 Year Old Brother Still Bed-wetting / Is It Normal For A Wife To Ignore Serving Her Husband Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.