Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:00 PM

Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? (15127 Views)

Photo Of A Proud Dad Bathing His New Born Baby Goes Viral On FB / Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Is It Right For Mothers To Tongue Kiss Children (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by AZeD1(m): 10:44am On Oct 11, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]I see alot of people being super sentimental about this topic..

Is Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Effik, Ibibio, Idoma, Ogba, Ikwerre, Ogoni, e.t.c. spoken as an official language in Nigeria?! NO!!

So you are Igbo, you live in Lagos, your kids school in Ikoyi Lagos, you and your wife work 7 - 7, the grandparents are dead or barely come for long visits, the kids are exposed to a society where only english is spoken, their vacations are overseas, they have barely spent more than 5 days in the village at any particular time, Mum is Yoruba, Daddy is Idoma (so its not like even at home both parents speak to each other in one local language...), Television shows only foreign programmes, e.t.c.. HOW THEN DO YOU EXPECT THE KIDS TO LEARN TO SPEAK?!

The truth is that many people have simply thrown Language and tradition aside and focused on the pursuit of money and happiness.

- A child that grows up in Onitsha is more likely to be able to speak Igbo than a child that grew up in the United Kingdom.
- How many of you are willing to deport your children back to your villages to live and grow for a year in other to interact with thier people, learn their ways and traditions and our culture and religous practices?!

Like I said, the times have changed... Things aint like they use to be before. I told my younger brother about a fishing trip (actually its was a natural pond located inside a think swamp forest in my village) I went on with my dad and my uncles in the village. Told him about the encounter with over 20 - 30 snakes on the trip, told him about the encounter with crocodiles and all the fishes we caught that filled 3 cars.. Told him about how my uncle poured libation, made some incantations and the snakes all started leaving without attacking anybody, told him about the beliefs that the snakes were the protectors of the pond, told him the law of strangers taking fish from the pond, told him about the time keeper bird that flew over us inside the bush signifying that it was time for us to leave otherwise the darkness would fall on us so fast, we would not be able to find our way out until the next morning, e.t.c.. He just stood there looking at me with bewilderment.. I really wished he can experience this.. Now this pond is still there and I have been trying to get my father to take me back to the pond so that I can take possession of it as he is no longer interested in it, but he just does not have that kind of time..

Sadly, my father does not have that kind of time on his hands anymore.. My siblings have not been to either villages in like over 12 - 15 years.. Grandparents are dead, village is now unsafe with rampant kidnappings and robberies, family members that are now haters, e.t.c..

The last trip I had to the village as a child for Christmas ended up with my uncle summoning my father before a Native Doctor.. grin

Now imagine the mess... How were my younger ones supposed to ever learn the language. Some of you have similar stories as well. Dont use your life to judge others..

All I can pray for now is that by the time the next generation arrives, my parents would be in the last phase of life (i.e retirement) and would be the ones to teach our (i.e my kids and those of my siblings) the traditions and culture of our people including the language & religous practices.

If a kid cant speak his or her local Language in 2013... Nna, I dont blame them. The times of our fathers and now are not the same.[/b]
The gods have spoken.

1 Like

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Anvaller: 10:45am On Oct 11, 2013

Is Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, Effik, Ibibio, Idoma, Ogba, Ikwerre, Ogoni, e.t.c. spoken as an official language in Nigeria?! NO!!

So you are Igbo, you live in Lagos, your kids school in Ikoyi Lagos, you and your wife work 7 - 7, the grandparents are dead or barely come for long visits, the kids are exposed to a society where only english is spoken, their vacations are overseas, they have barely spent more than 5 days in the village at any particular time, Mum is Yoruba, Daddy is Idoma (so its not like even at home both parents speak to each other in one local language...), Television shows only foreign programmes, e.t.c.. HOW THEN DO YOU EXPECT THE KIDS TO LEARN TO SPEAK?!

The truth is that many people have simply thrown Language and tradition aside and focused on the pursuit of money and happiness.

- A child that grows up in Onitsha is more likely to be able to speak Igbo than a child that grew up in the United Kingdom.
- How many of you are willing to deport your children back to your villages to live and grow for a year in other to interact with thier people, learn their ways and traditions and our culture and religous practices?!

Like I said, the times have changed... Things aint like they use to be before. I told my younger brother about a fishing trip (actually its was a natural pond located inside a think swamp forest in my village) I went on with my dad and my uncles in the village. Told him about the encounter with over 20 - 30 snakes on the trip, told him about the encounter with crocodiles and all the fishes we caught that filled 3 cars.. Told him about how my uncle poured libation, made some incantations and the snakes all started leaving without attacking anybody, told him about the beliefs that the snakes were the protectors of the pond, told him the law of strangers taking fish from the pond, told him about the time keeper bird that flew over us inside the bush signifying that it was time for us to leave otherwise the darkness would fall on us so fast, we would not be able to find our way out until the next morning, e.t.c.. He just stood there looking at me with bewilderment.. I really wished he can experience this.. Now this pond is still there and I have been trying to get my father to take me back to the pond so that I can take possession of it as he is no longer interested in it, but he just does not have that kind of time..

Sadly, my father does not have that kind of time on his hands anymore.. My siblings have not been to either villages in like over 12 - 15 years.. Grandparents are dead, village is now unsafe with rampant kidnappings and robberies, family members that are now haters, e.t.c..

The last trip I had to the village as a child for Christmas ended up with my uncle summoning my father before a Native Doctor.. grin

Now imagine the mess... How were my younger ones supposed to ever learn the language. Some of you have similar stories as well. Dont use your life to judge others..

All I can pray for now is that by the time the next generation arrives, my parents would be in the last phase of life (i.e retirement) and would be the ones to teach our (i.e my kids and those of my siblings) the traditions and culture of our people including the language & religous practices.

If a kid cant speak his or her local Language in 2013... Nna, I dont blame them. The times of our fathers and now are not the same.[/b]

I disagree completely. Ur child will definitely speak ur language if u speak it to them no matter where in the world you are. U don't need to argue this, it happens everywhere. It doesnt make sense to think u need to go as far as sending ur child away to a place where some 3rd parties will speak the language to them when u the parents are in a better position to speak it to the child. A constant change of environment is also no excuse because the mother tongue will be the only language that is constant to the child as u move from one place to the other. Unless u refuse to speak it which will still come back to the fact that its the parent's fault.

5 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by obailala(m): 10:48am On Oct 11, 2013
Mgbadike80: ha ha, i have largely lost hope in this country and her citizenry. The igbo language will eventually disappear with the mindset of the current generation. I partly blame pentecostalism. Igbos hardly pray in igbo language or give their children native names. Some even change their surnames to english. Have u heard about pastors called Stone O Stone, bishop sk magsey, rev king? They actually exist in igbo land.
May I add 'PAstor Dr. Signs Fireman' to your list grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by obailala(m): 10:54am On Oct 11, 2013

The problem isn't that the children can't speak the language, there could be cases of inter tribal marriage and families living in far away lands making it a bit difficult for the children to learn their native language; that is excusable.

The real issue however is that there are a lot of Nigerians who consciously refuse to teach their children the language because they think it's either bush, uncouth, or backwards for their kids to speak a local language. Now that is where it becomes a problem undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Anvaller: 10:55am On Oct 11, 2013
johnbush: what has speaking your native tongue or maintaining your Nigerian culture done for you? If I had my way, I'll wipe out all traces of nigerian cultule from my kids. what a useless culture that cannot develop. their farming systems have remained archaic, technology didn't go beyond the iron age, communication never developed beyond speech! as a matter of fact, f**k nigerian culture.

Look dude, ur username is a reflection of ur enslaved mindset. People like u are very likely unambitious, ur only ambition is to live in a white man's land and consume their innovations to ur death. If u look at the great respected Africans internationally who are initiating and innovating things, they are different from ppl like u, they are all very connected to and identify with their origin irrespective of how many years they have lived in the western world at one time or the other in their lives. This is because they are intelligent enough to know the essence of it. U have an extremely slim chance of becoming anything extraordinary in the white man's society because u don't belong there unless u are just plain unambitious or just deceiving urself.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by macof(m): 10:59am On Oct 11, 2013
johnbush: what has speaking your native tongue or maintaining your Nigerian culture done for you? If I had my way, I'll wipe out all traces of nigerian cultule from my kids. what a useless culture that cannot develop. their farming systems have remained archaic, technology didn't go beyond the iron age, communication never developed beyond speech! as a matter of fact, f**k nigerian culture.
sorry for you. wasted life. am sure ur ancestors would be mourning in ur case
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by fabregas04(m): 11:00am On Oct 11, 2013
it's always a joy to me whenever i remember i can speak abt 7 different Nigerian dialects, i.e yoruba(including ekiti & akoko dialect, where my parents hailed from), igbo(both central igbo and izzi tribe of ebonyi state, though not fluent). i had a gud knowledge of idoma, igalla, efik. i always regret not to have learnt d ebira dialect even when i had a gud opportunity to do so. i hv promised myself to teach my children all dis dialects wen i eventually become a father. it's always gud to be multilingual.

2 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:03am On Oct 11, 2013
Anvaller:

I disagree completely. Ur child will definitely speak ur language if u speak it to them no matter where in the world you are. U don't need to argue this, it happens everywhere. It doesnt make sense to think u need to go as far as sending ur child away to a place where some 3rd parties will speak the language to them when u the parents are in a better position to speak it to the child. A constant change of environment is also no excuse because the mother tongue will be the only language that is constant to the child as u move from one place to the other. Unless u refuse to speak it which will still come back to the fact that its the parent's fault.

I can never disagree with you!! NEVER!!

But its not set in stone... Again, a child that grows up in Onitsha in more likely to speak Igbo better than a child that grows up in the United Kingdom.. #FACT!

Now if you as a parent puts in that extra effort to ensure that they learn the language, sure it would work.. But again, its easier for a child that grew in france to learn french than it will be for a child that grew up in Onitsha to learn the same french.

Also, the trick to learning a language is practice, practice and more practice.. If the child does not have that constant practice, its gonna be hard.

Not every family has that same environment..

1 Like

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by macof(m): 11:16am On Oct 11, 2013
Any yoruba that doesnt speak or understand yoruba should be wiped severely. Imagine that rubbish when Igbos and others speak yoruba fluently. I even saw a white American speaking yoruba when I went for Osun festivival

1 Like

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Anvaller: 11:16am On Oct 11, 2013
Okija_juju:

But its not set in stone... Again, a child that grows up in Onitsha in more likely to speak Igbo better than a child that grows up in the United Kingdom.. #FACT!

Now if you as a parent puts in that extra effort to ensure that they learn the language, sure it would work.. But again, its easier for a child that grew in france to learn french than it will be for a child that grew up in Onitsha to learn the same french.

Also, the trick to learning a language is practice, practice and more practice.. If the child does not have that constant practice, its gonna be hard.

I get ur point bro
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by macof(m): 12:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
K.K Imoh:

i tink u'r mad, why? Cos dy cant speak igbo, damn! I liked u ,but now i hate da fact dat u said this, na igbo go giv am gud lyf' money' food. C'mon afam use yr brain, many igbo guys at d north cant speak igbo,but can speak hausa, nupe or oda language, dsnt mean u shuld snag them.
shut up, many Indians and Chinese live in different parts of the world but still speak their own languages perfectly. You all that cant speak your language should be Ashamed

2 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Mgbadike80: 12:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
@okija-juju, ur comments are reasonable but not reasonable enough. My father was an only child and an orphan with alot of enemies trying to grab everything in the village but yet we spent atleast 2wks christmass and new year vacation in the village. My parents will skin us alive if we dare to speak english in the house. We are now growing up but we don't need our father to secure our lands. I encourage my junior ones to atleast put a dwarf fence round the plots that they are bound to inherit. We often send money home and that encourages our father to make out the time for those construction. You don't need to send much, it largely depends on the parents.

1 Like

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by KoloOyinbo(m): 12:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
Wow. This is an emotive topic. I will state my opinion and its justification. It is important to never forget your own ethnic history and heritage. As an Irishman I always remember. My country was conquered by the English/British a thousand years ago and has been fighting them ever since. Having achieved military victory they tried to cement this by a 'cultural' victory as they have done so successfully all over the world. They tried to repress our religion and almost eradicated our language. We fought back many times over the centuries but always unsuccessfully.

Our success only came when a violent rebellion had the groundwork laid for it by a 'cultural' rebellion when our language and culture experienced renewed interest and spread again. Then we won and reclaimed most of our land. Irish is now an important second language in the free part of my country. It is to my regret that growing up in the British 'occupied' part of my country that I was never encouraged to learn my own language beyond a few phrases. My daughters know more of their language than I do!

Cherish your own tribal languages, cultures and tradition. They are a rich part of your heritage and make Naija great. I would start to learn more of my own language but my fiance is a naija babe and I am working on my Yoruba and Igbo instead.

6 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 11, 2013
Okija_juju:

the Hebrews spent 20centuries from home, yet they can read and write hebrew. They sing Jewish songs and know jewish history as well as family ancestory and geneology! This is despite the fact they spent 20centuries away from home.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 11, 2013
@okija juju. You tried to get your point across and i respect that. However, you said what you said out of the infos you have at you disposal.

The Lebanese and indians that are in their 3rd and 4th generation in Nigeria already and also live in the high brow Ikoyi and also take most of their vacations in the US and UK, still speak their language. They still have their cultures intact despite the fact they live thousands ok kilometer away. How did they do this? It is their parent.

1 Like

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
KoloOyinbo: Wow. This is an emotive topic. I will state my opinion and its justification. It is important to never forget your own ethnic history and heritage. As an Irishman I always remember. My country was conquered by the English/British a thousand years ago and has been fighting them ever since. Having achieved military victory they tried to cement this by a 'cultural' victory as they have done so successfully all over the world. They tried to repress our religion and almost eradicated our language. We fought back many times over the centuries but always unsuccessfully.

Our success only came when a violent rebellion had the groundwork laid for it by a 'cultural' rebellion when our language and culture experienced renewed interest and spread again. Then we won and reclaimed most of our land. Irish is now an important second language in the free part of my country. It is to my regret that growing up in the British 'occupied' part of my country that I was never encouraged to learn my own language beyond a few phrases. My daughters know more of their language than I do!

Cherish your own tribal languages, cultures and tradition. They are a rich part of your heritage and make Naija great. I would start to learn more of my own language but my fiance is a naija babe and I am working on my Yoruba and Igbo instead.

exactly what we are talking about.

John BUSH should see this post and stop being "BUSHY"
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
In a case .Ωђεяε husband and wife aint of same tribe, I mean their language differs......U get kids who speak English cos that's what Dad and Mum communicate in.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2013
I hv a cousin who once lived in Holland.
She has a son. When they entered naija, na so de papa dey blow grammer join with oyinbo food for am. But guess what?
The small boy was very sharp.speak small igbo and he will be repeating it till d end of that day.
When d dad gave up was when he opened door with his funne friends and on saying how r u my boy the boy replied 'ka'.
'Ka' is part of their dialect.
That day we laughed d guy to shege!
As for food, the boy lovd roasted yam with red oil die! U need to see everywhere filled with oil and I so much love it!
He just don't like western food.
The dad totally gave up. Though they r abroad again but d dude can flow well in igbo.

Abeg we should stop all these nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
@okija juju I was born and brought up in Lagos. Never traveled home until i was a bit older. And anytime i travelled home, i dont spend so much time there.

All through my childhood days, we were the only people from my state living in the whole area. This means i am like that child that you said grew up in the UK where his language isnt too prevalent. I grew up up to know how to speak English, Yoruba and my local language just as i grew up to know my name and there is no interference what so ever.
This was made possible by my parent.
They spoke the language to me in the house, i learnt yoruba from my neighbours and English at school.

As for the constant practice, yes you are right. But if a parent always speaks the indeginous language to his child anytime he wants to talk to him and no matter how much time he spends with the child in a day even if it is one min, that child would definitely grow up to be able to speak his fathers language.

4 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by macof(m): 2:30pm On Oct 11, 2013
chimkaire: In a case .Ωђεяε husband and wife aint of same tribe, I mean their language differs......U get kids who speak English cos that's what Dad and Mum communicate in.
off course we in Nigeria, English is the Official language but its nt our language. In such families, the kids should learn both languages
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Anvaller: 2:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
souldust: @okija juju I was born and brought up in Lagos. Never traveled home until i was a bit older. And anytime i travelled home, i dont spend so much time there.

All through my childhood days, we were the only people from my state living in the whole area. This means i am like that child that you said grew up in the UK where his language isnt too prevalent. I grew up up to know how to speak English, Yoruba and my local language just as i grew up to know my name and there is no interference what so ever.
They spoke the language to me in the house, i learnt yoruba from my neighbours and English at school.

As for the constant practice, yes you are right. But if a parent always speaks the indeginous language to his child anytime he wants to talk to him and no matter how much time he spends with the child in a day even if it is one min, that child would definitely grow up to be able to speak his fathers language.

This explains my point so far. Thanks buddy.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 11, 2013
Anvaller:

it seems you didn't get his point, he's also speaking on behalf of his siblings. You say he speaks his language therefore he can teach his kids how about his siblings that can't speak?
Btw i totally agree with Okija-juju
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Candour(m): 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
souldust: @okija juju I was born and brought up in Lagos. Never traveled home until i was a bit older. And anytime i travelled home, i dont spend so much time there.

I'll try adopt the advice in bold and see how it works on my kid.

Thanks bro.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by bigfrancis21: 7:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
kreami diva: My daughter would be 3 years old on the 30th of this month. She's in nursery one. I was shocked the day she came back from school reciting one-otu,two-abuo,three-ato to ten-iri! I carried her up,hailed her,kissed her.... I was proud of her!

And this school is one of the best in my state. When we went to register her there,the proprietress told us that they don't use British curriculum that they are Nigerians and they use Nigerian curriculum. Truly,I'm not disappointed.

@Bold...hahaha! Lmao! That was so funny. You got me laughing real hard here. grin

I must have imagined your joy and ecstasy on hearing your daughter reel off the Igbo numerals. cheesy

I love your post. 10,000 likes. I bu ezigbote Ada Igbo. O ya-adili gi mma.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by Michael1957(m): 7:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
Very proud
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by bigfrancis21: 7:53pm On Oct 11, 2013
Yes, Children are very much capable of speaking several languages. A family closeby to where I live is an inter-ethnic one. The man is Yoruba while the woman is Igbo. They have 3 children. The first two, 4 and 2 and half, speak English and Igbo so fluently and also understand Yoruba. Each time I pass in front of their house and see them playing, I'm amazed at how they easily switch between both Igbo and English languages with such fluency. The first child understands Yoruba when spoken to them by their Father. Their Father has lived in Igboland for over 22 years and also speaks Igbo too. With time they'll add Yoruba to their list and will be powerfully trilingual.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by kreamidiva(f): 8:08pm On Oct 11, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...hahaha! Lmao! That was so funny. You got me laughing real hard here. grin

I must have imagined your joy and ecstasy on hearing your daughter reel off the Igbo numerals. cheesy

I love your post. 10,000 likes. I bu ezigbote Ada Igbo. O ya-adili gi mma.

Ya dikwara gi na Mma!

She came back one day from school singing
nwa nnunu ukwu,nwa nnunu nta... turuzam zam,turu za.....
I no ebe ahu eme gini
Ana m atu ose for my mummy.......

I laughed hard and almost fainted. She's sure getting a big present for her birthday!

Lol.
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by bigfrancis21: 8:17pm On Oct 11, 2013
Cykik: Am nt hapy atall. I grew up in d west nd learnt yoruba bt even if my parent spoke igbo 2me ,i undastood litle nd converse les 2dem in igbo. Nw we are in d east nd i was apy at first dat am realy goin 2learn my native language. Bt d worst apund. As i tried my best 2speak igbo my frnds nd every one dat heard me talk only lafd at me whch made me felt bad . No one was wilin 2teach me bt day kept on lafin. Bt nw am apy dat i ave a closest frnd who is proud of me even wit my bad intonatn while tryn 2speak igbo. Its fun nw. I tink d oda frnds wia bunch of suckers

I understand your plight. Never give up. I was once in your shoes years ago. I didn't grow up in the west but I was brought up with English language. I and my siblings. I grew up in the east all my life. As we grew into teenagehood, my mother stopped speaking English to us and switched over to Igbo. That improved our understanding comprehension, though we still replied in English to her each time she spoke Igbo. I didn't develop the interest to speak Igbo until I got into the university(UNN) and felt like an outcast each time ALL my friends were speaking Igbo around me. Funny enough, so many of them were raised first with English by their parents but were all speaking Igbo so fluently. Ahh! Even some that were not born in Igboland self. It was until final year I started to make efforts to speak. Yea initially, my accent was a little bit off and for the first few weeks I thought I'd never make it through. But in less than a year I became perfect and so fluent. Now I speak Igbo(my sweet Anambra dialect - cheesy fa ncha si na ife fa na-alu diili fa mkpa, na fa ncha bu ofu ife afu! cheesy) so fluently, and not just Engiligbo but pure Igbo. When I speak Igbo, I hardly dilute it with English words. Many people can't ever tell that I wasn't raised with Igbo. And I'm just 22 years old. I love this my breakthrough story a lot and I love to tell it anywhere I go.

My two other siblings now speak Igbo. Its just the last one in JSS 3 who's yet to perfect his speaking though he understands Igbo very well.

I sent a voice note message to a cousin and coursemate of mine via bbm few nights ago and he couldn't believe it was me speaking the Igbo.cheesy He said I had crammed the sentences somewhere and was just reeling them off.grin To prove him wrong, I further replied him with over 10 other voice notes where I was not just speaking Anambra Igbo, but Achi-Oji River Igbo(my mother's native dialect), Nsukka Igbo(I schooled in UNN) and Owerri Igbo(I had my entire secondary school in Owerri)! smiley The guy was shocked to say the least! grin All he could mutter to me was 'Go and sleepppp!' cheesy. I tear laff die. Finally he really commended me.

Watch Igbo-language movies too. They help a lot. I downloaded several of them on my laptop last year and they really helped me, and will help you a lot too especially if you're from Anambra because its the Anambra dialect that is mostly used in Igbo-language movies.

3 Likes

Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by bigfrancis21: 8:26pm On Oct 11, 2013
kreami diva:

Ya dikwara gi na Mma!

She came back one day from school singing
nwa nnunu ukwu,nwa nnunu nta... turuzam zam,turu za.....
I no ebe ahu eme gini
Ana m atu ose for my mummy.......

I laughed hard and almost fainted. She's sure getting a big present for her birthday!

Lol.

I remember those rhymes from way back in my primary school. Hahaha! That's great. Ensure that you get her a biggg birthday present that she'll never forget. Keep it up!
Re: Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? by bigfrancis21: 8:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
Chaoga: My 5 months old son is mixed race British. I have never for once spoken English to him. He can learn English from his mum and in school. It's only me that can embed our cultural values and language in him.

Keep it up sir. What tribe are you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Normal For A Wife To Ignore Serving Her Husband Food / Culture Vs Legal Law: Who Owns The Child??? / Where Are The Real Women? Abi Dem No Dey?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.