Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,886 members, 7,806,563 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested (2620 Views)

Anthology Of Non-fiction From Africa / Call For Entries Songs Of Unity: An Anthology Of Poems / Call For Entries - Songs Of Unity: An Anthology Of Poems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by SMC(f): 9:52pm On Jul 01, 2008
Several times I have read people on here say that they want to have their work published. Now, Jide Osikomaiya is compiling an anthology of short fiction. If you want to see your stories in print and you think the story is of a high standard, you can contact him. There is no guarantee that your story will be accepted but it is worth a shot. I am not sure about whether there will be any remuneration for your work, but I think there may be a royalty arrangement (best to ask the editor about this).

For further details, see -

Anthology of Immigrant Writing.

I am not too sure but I think that the editor might accept works from people who are not in diaspora. I do however know that the project is not restricted to those migrants in the USA. As with any other job, the advantages of having your work published is that it could boost your writing CV and if the story is strong enough, the publisher might forward it for consideration to prizes which require prior publication like the Caine Prize for African Writing.

Here is a bit on Mr. Osikomaiya: He is a college instructor teaching basic writing and college composition at Delta College in Stockton, California and is also an adjunct faculty member at Los Medanos College in Pittsburg, California.

I guess that's all. Feel free to contact the Mr. Osikomaiya if you are interested and want your stories published, or if you have any queries.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by kay9(m): 3:51pm On Jul 02, 2008
Thanks for the info.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by SMC(f): 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2008
You are welcome. Opportunities are usually few and far between, so it is good to share whatever is out there. Let's hope all goes well.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by jideosik(m): 8:34pm On Jul 11, 2008
Thank you very much SMC for this announcement. Indeed, I am editing an anthology of new fiction from Africa. The focus is on unpublished work, but I will include any previously published work if the author owns the copyright. I would prefer that submissions be sent to me via email; however, a query letter should precede the submission. All contributors to this anthology will be paid for their work. No deadline has been set for this publication. In addition to the African anthology, I am also editing an anthology of immigrant writing. This publication is open to immigrants residing in the United States.  Deadline for the immigrant anthology is Friday November 28th, 2008. Please go to http://www.kilimanjaromedia.com for additional information, or send me an email at:
jideosik@kilimanjaromedia.com
Jide Osikomaiya
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by blissfullynaughty: 4:30am On Aug 13, 2008
@ SMC, Is the publisher or Editor still looking for stories?
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by jideosik(m): 4:55am On Aug 13, 2008
blissfullynaughty:

@ SMC, Is the publisher or Editor still looking for stories?

Absolutely, yes! Please send your material to jideosik@kilimanjaromedia.com. Better yet, visit our website. Its address is located in my signature.

1 Like

Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by Cch3coo: 2:06pm On Aug 13, 2008
@ jodeosik,

Do you accept poetry submissions as well?
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by jideosik(m): 8:21pm On Aug 13, 2008
The best way to protect your work is to copyright it before sending it out to editors. In 1970, I sent my poems out to the editor of Nigerian Post and all the poems were published—and it was the first time I ever wrote anything and got paid for it. I was paid five pounds for each poem. I did not think the editor was going to steal my idea or work, and no one did. As a student at the University of Ibadan in the early seventies, I submitted poems to the Department of English magazine “Idoto” and my poems were published. This was how I met and became friends with Odia Ofeimun and many other student writers of the seventies. I sent many poems to Femi Osofisan, which he published in his poetry chapbook, “Opon Ifa” During Festac, I sent my poems to Cyprian Ekwensi and he published the poems in “An Anthology of new Nigerian Writing”, which was Nigeria’s literary entry for Festac. I did not think he was going to pilfer my work and he did not. It never crossed my mind that someone would steal my work.

As a staff writer at the Daily Times between 1976 and 1980, I published hundreds of articles on the literary and performing arts in Nigeria and no one stole my articles or reprinted without the Daily Times permission. This Idea of stealing stuff is a new phenomenon in Nigeria because I know for sure that magazines and journals still ask for submissions here in the USA. I understand the concerns of writers about being plagiarized or their works stolen by other people, but the best way to protect yourself is to copyright your work. As an English instructor here at Delta College in Stockton, California I remind my students of the penalty for plagiarism which is failing the course or perhaps getting into serious trouble with the Dean of Instruction. Therefore, there is no need to engage in an unnecessary hair-splitting exercise regarding my anthology. It is a shame that Nigerians have experienced incredible dishonesty in the hands of leaders and trusted managers—which is why everything and everyone is suspect, but you have to move beyond that and keep an open mind.  I would like to publish other writers because I love and teach literature. Thank you SMC for making a clear headed and thoughtful argument. By the way, I am going to put up the US copyright office link on my website so that you can register your work if you so desire.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by jideosik(m): 9:29pm On Aug 13, 2008
Yes, send your poems (5 maximum), short stories, creative non-fiction and essays. None of the anthology submissions will be published online. Accepted work will appear in the anthology only.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by Orikinla(m): 7:46pm On Aug 14, 2008
SMC,
I have been to the website and any literate person should appreciate this open invitation.

May I advise Jide Osikomaiya to ask for submissions from Nigeria through the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), to make sure that the anthology is a good compilation of contemporary prose fiction.
He can also inform Sola Osofisan of the African Writer.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by jideosik(m): 8:17pm On Aug 14, 2008
Thank you Orikinla for the advice. I will contact all chapters of ANA. In addition, I will contact Sola Osofisan.
I hope too that a mature, decent and intellectual discussion website will emerge shortly whereby Nigerian writers can exchange ideas and build a friendly community.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by yicob(m): 8:52pm On Aug 14, 2008
every great man is a writer and every writer is a great man.
word rules.
thanks for the privilege mr. Jide.

hope to send in mine very soon.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by SMC(f): 8:58pm On Aug 14, 2008
Back on Track, Good.

Orikinla:

May I advise Jide Osikomaiya to ask for submissions from Nigeria through the Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA), to make sure that the anthology is a good compilation of contemporary prose fiction.
He can also inform Sola Osofisan of the African Writer.

Nice one Orikinla.

jideosik:

I hope too that a mature, decent and intellectual discussion website will emerge shortly whereby Nigerian writers can exchange ideas and build a friendly community.

Hear, Hear!
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by Orikinla(m): 9:27pm On Aug 14, 2008
A Nigerian website for literary interests is good, but most Nigerians are poor managers of such intellectual ventures.

The only way Nigerians will patronize such a website is to offer them cash prizes in dollars every week.

The appreciation of modern literature in Nigeria ends in the Ivory Towers and after that most of the graduates become copywriters for Advertising Companies and others join the corporate affairs units of banks, oil companies.
Most of them forget about their first love, because writing serious prose is a labour of love and not recommended for those who do not have regular jobs. Then when you get the regular jobs, the jobs do not give you the time to write serious prose. I have seen cartons of unpublished works in the private quarters of many of these fellow Nigerians and they have kept these heaps of their writings for decades. I lost seven unpublished novels, because I threw them aside to work for monthly salary. Chuma Ifedi the popular short story writer has many unpublished works and The Guardian is not even interested in publishing them, because Nigerians no longer read books.
The Longman Drumbeat and Gong series, the Pacesetters and others have become things of the past.
Most of the Nigerian youths prefer to type and read their exchanges of text messages on their GSM phones.
I have younger brothers I have never seen reading a novel, but I see them reading long text messages and even staying up until midnight to make midnight calls. And guess what? Nigerians spend more than $76 million weekly on GSM calls.

This generation is wasting away while we are still day dreaming of Vision 2020.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by yicob(m): 10:02pm On Aug 14, 2008
@ orikinla,
as if you were there when i was talking to a chap today.
The children of this generation love mudane things.
. . . . . .until we understand the fact that there is power in reading books,. . . . . . . .our creativity could still be second grade.

btw orikinla,
what advice would you give to a wannabe/rookie copywriter without a degree relating to communications/ languages.
Re: A New Anthology Of Short Fiction: Submissions Requested by Orikinla(m): 12:36pm On Aug 15, 2008
yicob:

@ orikinla,
as if you were there when i was talking to a chap today.
The children of this generation love mudane things.
. . . . . .until we understand the fact that there is power in reading books,. . . . . . . .our creativity could still be second grade.

between orikinla,
what advice would you give to a wannabe/rookie copywriter without a degree relating to communications/ languages.
yicob,
The wannabe/rookie copywriter needs to register for courses at the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria (APCON) http://www.apcon.gov.ng/ and then have an added advantage by registering for courses at the NIGERIAN INSTITUTE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS (NIPR) http://professionalexamsclinic.com/courses.html.

Having the professional qualifications helps the person to advance in this career, because without these qualifications the person cannot practice in Nigeria and cannot be gainfully employed.

(1) (Reply)

Congrats D9ty7, He As Been Finally Made A Moderator!!! / Book Summary - Why A Students Work For C Student And B For The Government / My Careless Mother Final Episodes (e-book/story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.