Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:31 AM

Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country (23979 Views)

For Unemployed Graduates ONLY / The Countries With The Most Unemployed Graduates / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 5:51pm On Oct 10, 2013
I had a heated argument with someone on which field of study has the largest unemployed graduates despite the graduates making 2.1 & first class. The argument ended in disagreements and it also raised another issue of 'why engineering should be studied for 5yrs giving that it is a level 8 course'. I was of the opinion that it is engineering that has the highest number of unemployed, high ranking 2.1 and first class graduates. This conclusion is not baseless because I studied elect. engineering. And none of my course mates is with any GOOD job right now <service yr 2012/2013 batch A>. They mostly divert to programming. So, what is your own opinion? Also, your opinion on engineering being level 8 after five tough years of complex analysis

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Allohrandy(m): 6:25pm On Oct 10, 2013
I think fields like humanities and social sciences has the largest unemployed graduates. some of my friends that study engineering has good jobs.

12 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by realbomax: 7:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
@op. i also studied engrg course but i think d point is engrg graduates are nt d worst hit but d stress engrg graduates undergoes right frm admisn process stage till graduatn stage in schl is nt adequately compensated for in a country lik nigeria. i now clearly see dt nigeria is nt ready for technological advancement and because of dt i cant advise my jnr ones to waste their time on in in naija at least for now because most pple who only get field engrg job here are very connected.

4 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by kayce19: 9:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
You will be suprised by the number of engineering graduates that is employed by the financial industries. Op you should have put it that there are not much engineering positions for graduate as compared to the financial sector. The big four for example have many engineering graduates because of there intellects which make them to scale through there rigorous recruitment process. Banking sector too has been bailing out graduate engineers cos most switch after seeing that there are not much opportunities

5 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by pweetytonie(f): 8:04am On Oct 11, 2013
U can't be serious oooooo....engineers are hot cakes now serious hot cake my engineer friends choose jobs from nestle to oil and gas coys...the major problem with getting a job is this love and creteria of having experience so it's usually difficult for freshers to get in

7 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Iykedaprince(m): 8:19am On Oct 11, 2013
No. We are not the most unemployed graduates in 9ja. #teamengrs#

4 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by davide470(m): 9:36am On Oct 11, 2013
OP, first you got to understand ur terrain.. In this part of the world, engineers are mostly designers..we work with softwares a lot, less with the dynamic part.. We are trained in our Univ. nt to build physically, but to model simulations and what-hv-you..(which is a shortcoming..but). I recently did a short modelling of an ethanol plant for a student in Malaysia.. Maximise these our limited opp. And make the best use of it.. Also, ur internshp is a great tool. I still chat and mail my supervisors.. They were d one dt exposed me to SPE, and my life changd from there.
Or u can go and do Audit.. Those pple loves engineers.

4 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Greatken007(m): 8:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
MENTION 1 ORGANIZATION WHEN ENGINEERS NO FIT WORK?

3 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 11, 2013
Allohrandy: I think fields like humanities and social sciences has the largest unemployed graduates. some of my friends that study engineering has good jobs.

The above fields are not professional fields and still they are the same level 8 with engineering. When you compare engineering with other fields, you will agree with me that engineering is the most unemployed and most disrespected.

realbomax: @op. i also studied engrg course but i think d point is engrg graduates are nt d worst hit but d stress engrg graduates undergoes right frm admisn process stage till graduatn stage in schl is nt adequately compensated for in a country lik nigeria. i now clearly see dt nigeria is nt ready for technological advancement and because of dt i cant advise my jnr ones to waste their time on in in naija at least for now because most pple who only get field engrg job here are very connected.

Same with me, I have vowed that my junior ones will never do engineering in this fake Country. Imagine the rigors we passed through, yet no job, nsame level with non-professional fields. Government even pay radiographers during internship (N80k) and you will do your own without pay.

pweety_tonie: U can't be serious oooooo....engineers are hot cakes now serious hot cake my engineer friends choose jobs from nestle to oil and gas coys...the major problem with getting a job is this love and creteria of having experience so it's usually difficult for freshers to get in
You are not an engineer, if you are, you wouldn't sound like this

Iykedaprince: No. We are not the most unemployed graduates in 9ja. #teamengrs#

Well, we are the most unemployed professionals in this country. What other professional field is unemployed like engineering, and are also level 8.

Greatken007: MENTION 1 ORGANIZATION WHEN ENGINEERS NO FIT WORK?
This question is off, you might still be a student.

4 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:47am On Oct 12, 2013
Me sef don dey frustrate for house 2.1 eee futo
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 12, 2013
GeneralShepherd: Me sef don dey frustrate for house 2.1 eee futo
Na so everybody day.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 11:17am On Oct 12, 2013
in a country driven by buying and selling and importation of everything..... why wont engineers be given the back seat...... and when the opportunity comes, they want experienced, how will u be experienced at home! and when u end up working for free to gather this experience, the slam you with " you must not be older than 26 by december 31"

Nigeria is a bus stop to hell

24 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by alaoeri: 11:28am On Oct 12, 2013
Op u are right there are numerous unemploy engineers & the basic reason is that they are incompetent although isn't there fault but the wuruwuru educational system we got in this country. After graduation from any engineering field, chose a branch ie civil (structural, design etc) mechanical (production, automobile, design etc) electrical (power, telecom etc) and channel all your energy, resources and time towards the one u really like to acquire vast knowledge in it, start from scratch acquire experience after school, don't depend on what is being taught in school, polish yourself very well believe me the job will be knocking at your door but if u depending on your certificate OYO lowa. For example check engineering advert looking for fresh graduate yet they will still add some years of experience to the requirements thereby favouring those with experience beside no employer is ready to employ liabilities, all they want is someone that can work with little or no supervision. Op my advice for u try to get little experience to boost your CV.

3 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by royale442(m): 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2013
That awkward moment that you realize that this comment is primarily intended to waste your time and fill your patience, even more so, out of curiosity you could not stop reading until the end.

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by constance500: 4:19pm On Oct 12, 2013
Proudly an accounting student.... Engineers should go nd dig soak-aways grin

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sermwell(m): 4:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
I don't knw how true dis assertion is but it is my pleasure 2 let u guyz knw dat we prospective lawyers have no shaking cuz our future is fully secured!... But 2013/2013 batch is 2 early 4 u 2 judge na! Pls don't panic jare!
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by woky: 4:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
Notin lyk employment 4 nigeria.. RIP EMPLOYMENT
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2013
I dey come abeg, GeneralShepherd hold my pen for me make I check if I dey FP......
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 12, 2013
Allohrandy: I think fields like humanities and social sciences has the largest unemployed graduates. some of my friends that study engineering has good jobs.

Remember Economics is a part of social science and they have the highest opportunities In dis part of the world... Pick courses, don't just generalise...

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by saintgwizard(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
Engineering is even the most employed. Engineering gives you myriads of job options.

Did not study engineering, never liked it but I love the opportunities abound to it.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Kesmakveli(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
Wouldn't know... UGON Statistics could help.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Mekyno(m): 4:25pm On Oct 12, 2013
Yes, if u talkin of ppl/courses dat r hot cake/high in demand. No, if ur talkin in generality. I bliv d ans should b social sciences. Thermacians, i hail
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Sllowppoisoon: 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
constance500: Proudly an accounting student.... Engineers should go nd dig soak-aways grin
student U still have a long way to go..jus chill for naw
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Afam4eva(m): 4:28pm On Oct 12, 2013
I don't know about being the field with the most unemployed graduates but common sense will tell you that it has to be one of the fields with the most unemployed people because of the redundancy that's in that field and the fact that our country is not yet that technologically advanced because it's only where there's technology that there will be jobs for Engineers. Like someone said, it's the social sciences that probably has the most employed people.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Aderupoko2: 4:30pm On Oct 12, 2013
Tell me which manufacturing or oil and gas company that doesn't have more than 70% of their work force as Engineers.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by 01mcfadden(m): 4:31pm On Oct 12, 2013
Nigeria believe in engineers from abroad. They dnt trust any of their products. Unles we start believing in ourselves,development will be hard to achieve here.

1 Like

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Jayses(m): 4:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
LOL this's post can't make me change my mind , I shall study elect engineering period.

3 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Kunlexic(m): 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2013
Hmmmn,engring course ȋ̝̊̅§ not waste @ OP,anywhere U̶̲̥̅̊ reach,they are employing engineering graduates most expecially in †ђξ field of mechanical,electrical and civil.
Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by ifebosco: 4:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
realbomax: @op. i also studied engrg course but i think d point is engrg graduates are nt d worst hit but d stress engrg graduates undergoes right frm admisn process stage till graduatn stage in schl is nt adequately compensated for in a country lik nigeria. i now clearly see dt nigeria is nt ready for technological advancement and because of dt i cant advise my jnr ones to waste their time on in in naija at least for now because most pple who only get field engrg job here are very connected.
most you look for job for chris sake?can´t you create something needed in our society and source for fianance??most we always look for job after graduation??now you are telling an engrg to live nigeria to start looking for greener pastures outside nigeria,with the present crisis in europe and america the most silly thing an engrg in nigeria should do is to live nigeria,becuase the stress in this side of the world is the worst.be creative and look for fianance,nigeria need you guys

2 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Gabrielsylar(m): 4:34pm On Oct 12, 2013
Sharrap..2012 and ure spilling rubbish...pple since 2005 re still looking for work...besides over 80 engineers were recently interviewed at Airforce institute of technology elect,mech,computer,comms etc so stop saying thrash

4 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Nobody: 4:35pm On Oct 12, 2013
splendidb20: I had a heated argument with someone on which field of study has the largest unemployed graduates despite the graduates making 2.1 & first class. The argument ended in disagreements and it also raised another issue of 'why engineering should be studied for 5yrs giving that it is a level 8 course'. I was of the opinion that it is engineering that has the highest number of unemployed, high ranking 2.1 and first class graduates. This conclusion is not baseless because I studied elect. engineering. And none of my course mates is with any GOOD job right now <service yr 2012/2013 batch A>. They mostly divert to programming. So, what is your own opinion? Also, your opinion on engineering being level 8 after five tough years of complex analysis

I don't think engineering graduates have d higher % of unemployed ppl in d labour market. If u think we are @ an unemployment crisis, then wait till 2020 wen our population will have increased by 20%. The number of graduates coming out of d higher institution conveyor belts is more than the number of people retiring/sacked/deceased during their course of work. So we are @ a stage where jobs just can't be there for graduates. This problem can only be corrected if the govt change the curricula and produce graduates that won't look for jobs rather graduates that will create SMEs.

3 Likes

Re: Are Engineers The Most Unemployed Graduates In This Country by Raxxye(m): 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2013
Abeg make una no vex o. Why is it that many Nigerian graduates these days cannot differentiate between
''their'' and ''there''
''no'' and ''know''
''feel'' and ''fill''
''being'' and ''been?''

How dem take pass English Language for WAEC?
After now dem go say 'we're all graduates!'
The thing don dey vex me well well o!

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / Two Job Offers: I'm Confused / Do Online Typing Jobs Pay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.