Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments (80865 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
There are lots of instruments used in this video...16.09..woman at the back with some square wooden board...do you know the name?...16.20..big metal gong..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KKI0y6OOQ

I think these women are from umuoji in Anambra state.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
gbosaa: There are lots of instruments used in this video...16.09..woman at the back with some square wooden board...do you know the name?...16.20..big metal gong..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KKI0y6OOQ

I think these women are from umuoji in Anambra state.

Yes,its EGWU OBI Umuoji....my home town.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
@gbosaa,that little wooden square instrument is the "Okpokolo".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 11, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Yes,its EGWU OBI Umuoji....my home town.

I love them...great voice but shitty video done by someone at iweka rd...i,ll pay a fortune to get the original cd..
I need their contact pls..have you got their no.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
NRI PRIEST: @gbosaa,that little wooden square instrument is the "Okpokolo".

tnx....

Theresa Ofojie and those women will live long..
She should be immortalised...same with her name sake of egedege unubi.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 11:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
ShymmexLion:

I hear that. No beef - just thought you need to give Ghanaians some credit. Anyway, can you post videos of Igbo highlife? I don't really know much about that genre of music except Prince Nico Mbarga's "Sweet Mother" and the "Osendi Owendi" tune. I don't know if Sir Victor Uwaifo is highlife, but my pops used to play his music a lot when I was growing up.

i'm not a great fan of high life but I did like some of Oliver De Coque's songs.
One I would listen to even now is An'enwe Obodo Enwe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paVBwsCZfc0

and Omalicha by Amaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnUMuuDc9zg
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 12, 2013
some-girl:

i'm not a great fan of high life but I did like some of Oliver De Coque's songs.
One I would listen to even now is An'enwe Obodo Enwe

The melody sounds nice. It sounds unique without that much use of the guitar like most of the other highlife music. I guess that's the Igbo sound you were alluding to.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 12:42am On Oct 13, 2013
shymexx:

The melody sounds nice. It sounds unique without that much use of the guitar like most of the other highlife music. I guess that's the Igbo sound you were alluding to.

Indeed it is smiley
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 13, 2013
some-girl:

Indeed it is smiley

Err...you and your cheeky smiley face emoticon - what's that about? Are we still beefing?

Anyway, since you don't like highlife, what genre of music are you into?
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 1:46am On Oct 16, 2013
shymexx:

Err...you and your cheeky smiley face emoticon - what's that about? Are we still beefing?

Anyway, since you don't like highlife, what genre of music are you into?

Are we?
I don't dislike highlife, it's just not a genre I'm partial to. I would listen to almost any kind of music if the rhythm, lyrics or memory it evokes appeals to me.
How about you?
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 16, 2013
some-girl:

Are we?
I don't dislike highlife, it's just not a genre I'm partial to. I would listen to almost any kind of music if the rhythm, lyrics or memory it evokes appeals to me.
How about you?

I thought we were, after you called me, "Ony'ara" on the other thread. I guess it's over with now. grin *Spuds some-girl*

Anyway, I basically listen to everything I can vibe to. However, I'd say I'm overly partial to hip-hop and R & B, especially the 90s and noughties era. Music is a universal language and you might catch listening to tunes from the far east, or music in languages that I can't even decipher. I was a huge fan of Carlos Santana growing up. Also, I'd say my favourite football world cup theme song has to be the one by Youssou N'Dour & Axelle Red. It's in French and I can barely understand it, but I like it so much that I still sing it sometimes. That's the power of music.

I mess with a lot of traditional African music, Reggae, bashment, calypso, classical music, country music, blues, neo-soul, country music, jazz - and I've also got a soft spot for soft-rock as well. Add UK black music like: garage, grime, jungle and house music to the equation. And that's me.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Yujin(m): 9:42am On Oct 19, 2013
@OP, may Osebuluwa bless you for creating this thread. I had wanted to do same but have been procrastinating and equally due to lack of quality materials to make the thread appealing just like you've done. Nne, jisike.
@topic, I doubt if there are other Africans that have the number of traditional musical instruments that we have and yet we seem to be neglecting them.
Of all these instruments my favourites are the Oja and Ogene. Mehn, with these two you can get me to do anything for you and I'll gladly do it. The Oja happens to be more spiritual- it penetrates the soul and stirs you from within. If handled by a good player, the Oja can make a group of guys move mountains(literarily). Some of the sound made by these instruments are world class. Our Churches mostly the old generation ones have been promoting the use of these instruments and its laudable. I wish our government can do something to encourage their usage in wider scale because I wouldn't want to witness their extinction. Possibly, in schools where music is taught such instruments should be incorporated to ensure that these traditional melodious sounds are preserved and not just to serve as relics of the past.
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Yujin(m): 10:07am On Oct 19, 2013
The picture of the Ubo you uploaded me remember my 'Nnem-ukwu'. She told me of her love of its melodius sound and how my grandpa tapped into that soft spot. She said that while he was coming for her, he always comes with the Ubo and just by hearing the rhythm, she knows 'the suitor' is there and a warm sensation will fill her heart(love nwa-ntiti). That ubo is still there in my father's bedroom as at present. He has an oja also. I think he is a man of music just like myself. The little time I spent with him is when he was already old and weak so I couldn't enjoy that part of him. Zuo ike n'udo Egbe n'ebu okoro.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by somegirl1: 1:07am On Oct 21, 2013
^ Nna you're welcome smiley. Onye nwe anyi gozie kwa gi.
Truly, the sound of the Oja quickens its listener(s). I remember watching Unoka use the Oja to stir and prepare Okonkwo for the wrestling match with Amalinze "the cat" in Things Fall Apart. Even as a child I thoroughly enjoyed that scene and the music.

Such a beautiful story of your grandparents' courting, that was when life was much simpler. Ka nna gi ukwu n'ezuo ike udo.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by Simpsonrocket(m): 9:57am On Mar 15, 2017
Mods Bring Out This Post From The Grave
Re: Igbo Traditional Music and Musical Instruments by jbblues24(m): 9:30pm On Jun 01, 2019
Mission accomplished. It's cool m8 cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Meet Ooni Of Ife’s Sisters Who Ensured The Emergence Of A New Queen / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.