Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,826 members, 7,802,641 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? (20178 Views)

Questions About"business Related To China Or Travel To China"?you Can Ask Me / Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery / Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Pointblank09(m): 10:21am On Feb 26, 2017
Jimoh Ibrahim graduated from OAU and made money from OYEL TAX and later proceed to Harvard for fame and prestige. Get your fact right

3 Likes

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Lakeland4321: 10:53am On Feb 26, 2017
Pointblank09:
Jimoh Ibrahim graduated from OAU and made money from OYEL TAX and later proceed to Harvard for fame and prestige. Get your fact right
Thank you, I was waiting for someone to say this. He didn't go to HBS but did a short post graduate certificate in law but claims LL.M(Harvard) as an suffix to his name of which NBA warned him to remove it or get sued. Tony Elumelu went to Bensu (now Ambrose Alli University) in the '80's and rose in the banking system to become MD of STB in '97. He went to Harvard and several other business schools for short courses but not a full blown 2yr MBA as he would not have had the time as a bank MD. Hakeem bello Osagie attended oxford and Cambridge for his first and second degree. He later went to Harvard for an MBA in the '90s although his blueprint for UBA didn't really work so he divested from it in 2002. He is from a wealthy and privileged home and only reemerge in the business scene with etisalat in 2008

4 Likes

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by LorDBolton(m): 11:00am On Feb 26, 2017
KINGwax007:
I believe we are lazy thinkers. The so, 'thinking' we are talking about, is an application of what was learnt. Everything is being taught in school, aside the application. Only the thinkers, apply the theories.

Now, allow me to explain.

In physics, we were being taught the Graham's bell. And one of the application, as an example, is the bell. But did you knw, that a smart asss, use the same application in Graham's bell, to design an electric clippers!!!!

Now, the inventor of the electric clippers was taught Graham's bell, with the others. I bet, he might have been an average student, but, he came up with another idea, by applying the theory of the bell- have, the electric clippers.

In the institution, we were being taught the theories and few examples, the rest, lies with u....
How can u say teaching 'theories' with few examples is all a student needs? Does it really sound sensible to you?
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Haslil878(m): 11:04am On Feb 26, 2017
PapaBrowne:

Exactly. Its not as much what they are taught as it is the networks that come with it.
My younger brother is a harvardite and by virtue of that has met personally with and has phone numbers of a good number of alumni, Bello Osagie inclusive. Its kind of like a club. Plus the name sells like water.
Illuminati , Bilderberg Group and Bohemian Groove play a BIGGER Role. Secret Society if you LIKE.

1 Like

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Nobody: 11:22am On Feb 26, 2017
Tokziby:
Harvard is not just a school but a clique that takes ready made products to the next level. They only take two categories of people rich kids and best students (Genius). They are like Real Madrid of universities. There is no room for average students.

When the network of ur friends are Big Boys and great minds, whats would be ur excuse of not making it in life after graduation.

Gbam !! Said it all.
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by lastmessenger: 11:33am On Feb 26, 2017
BabaCommander:
This is but a tiny list of Nigerians that went to Harvard Business School. What is the achievement of the other vast majorities ?
Good question bro. For me is not about havard,it is about their individual will to make a difference.
Another things is that for u to enrol in havard means u already have money and therefore can finance a business idea and see to it that it succeed .
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by seangy4konji: 11:47am On Feb 26, 2017
this naija situation tire me...

1 Like

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 26, 2017
megafone:
See o
Lekki house money. Choi!!
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Originalsly: 12:20pm On Feb 26, 2017
hobermener:
Best alumi network ever, plus they attract only the best brains just like other ivy league colleges. Any brilliant mind will break barriers and boundaries, if afforded the opportunities and privileges at the disposal of the average Harvard student.
Hmmmm.....well said.... but I don't agree that they attract the best brains only....Best alumni network.... that you can say again...and again. If one is taught the same at another University. ....after graduation the Harvard guy will be out the blocks running while the other guy would be creeping like a baby!It's almost all about connections.
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Bitcoiniler(m): 12:49pm On Feb 26, 2017
We all have different abilities, genes and processes and attending Harvard or not doesn't guarantees anything. Richard Branson and the likes never graduated talk more of attending Harvard, but he has been invited countless times to come say one or two things to the students.

Richard Branson, billionaire founder of Virgin Music.

Sergey Brin, billionaire founder of Google.

Timonthy Blixseth, billionaire founder of Yellowstone Club.

Charles Culpeper, multimillionaire owner and CEO of Coca Cola.

George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor and founder of Kodak.

All these people were dropouts, talk more of attending Harvard, our mindset matters.

1 Like

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by InvertedHammer: 1:22pm On Feb 26, 2017
/
I will really be interested in people that went to Havard and never made it. They are the forgotten ones.

It will be interesting to know how many people on Forbes 100 went to Havard.

People become wealthy and then take a certificate class to append Havard to their resume'. Eg. Jimoh Ibrahim, Peter Obi, etc. Havard didn't make them.
//

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by husseinjnr: 2:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
You forgot the Cold Call.... wink

BlueLORD:
HERE'S WHAT MAKES HBS THICK

1. The Case Method
As you’ve probably heard, the case method is the foundation for the HBS curriculum. The case method makes for a highly engaging and enriching learning experience. At HBS, you don’t sit back in class and listen to a professor lecture. Each class, you read a case about a protagonist and a decision that he/she is facing. You’re put into the shoes of the protagonist and forced to make a decision on what he/she should do, often without all the information that you’d like to have. The case method is truly unique to the HBS experience. It helps prepare you to be a general manager, where you have to make tough decisions.

2. The Section Experience
The first year section experience is a unique part of life at HBS. At the start of your first year, you’re assigned to a section of 90 students. Your sectionmates come from an incredible variety of geographies, industries, functions, and backgrounds. You take all of your first year classes together and socialize outside of class. The case method pairs beautifully with the section experience as you learn from the diverse perspectives and experiences of your section mates.
This becomes very apparent during the Business, Government, and the International Economy (BGIE) course first year. The cases focused on different countries, and while you have the professor to guide the discussion, you also have section mates from virtually every country you examine to provide their perspectives as well. That said, the section experience is more than just about learning from each other. You form deep connections with your section mates, and your section becomes your cheerleader and support network.

3. The Core Curriculum
Your first year at HBS you take all required courses with your section, while your second year you take all elective courses with students from across the class. Although you have to wait until your second year to select your own classes, the core curriculum has a number of benefits. To start, it ensures that everyone develops the foundational skills critical for business. Additionally, you’re introduced to classes and career paths that you might find interesting but that you otherwise wouldn’t take on your own.
Finally, the core curriculum underpins the give and take of the section experience. While someone coming from finance can help a section mate with finance and accounting, he/she might learn from a section mate who ran a team at manufacturing plant before school about leadership.

4. The FIELD Program
FIELD is another unique aspect of HBS. FIELD is a two part program during your required first year curriculum and allows you to apply what you learn in the classroom to real world situations. FIELD 1 is the foundation of the FIELD program. It focuses on developing skills around leadership and working in groups.
During FIELD 2 , students are put into teams and work with a company in an emerging market on a business problem. FIELD 2 culminates with students going in country for a little over a week. FIELD 2 allows you to gain an international perspective and an understanding of business in emerging markets. The FIELD program is a great addition to the case method because it gives you the opportunity to practice the business skills you learn about in class, and it’s a great test in leadership and working in teams.

5. The Large Size
HBS is one of the largest business schools in the world, and this comes with a number of opportunities. The large student body allows you to get to know a diverse group of classmates from all over the world during your time on campus. Additionally, there are student clubs and elective courses to cater to a variety of interests. Furthermore, the global HBS network is a tremendous resource.
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by CellTabRepairs: 2:31pm On Feb 26, 2017
Style of teaching as an art is crucial

It is not enough to earn and carry about a certificate! That's phase 1.
Life is about relevance and proffering solutions. Someone right now somewhere is looking for someone who can do something for him/her and get paid! Opportunity Meets with preparation! Is your worth only in that paper certificate even though you hardly have a REAL skill?

coolClick My Name & View That Resource You Might Need! cool
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by sshalom(m): 2:40pm On Feb 26, 2017
Harvard is arguably the best business school in the world but that is not the catch. There is a powerful alumni network that ensures that things work for those privileged to have attended.

1 Like

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by seifini(m): 2:45pm On Feb 26, 2017
Yet Dangote wen no go Harvard,him money long pass all theirs combined.

1 Like

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by rhames(m): 2:53pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ab4all:
oh c,me on!!!! the young man simply put up his observation to understand harvard blueprint. i picked up one or two "things" from the comments so far. now my question to you is what happens to nigeria institutions alumni and the fee we paid to them during our final year in respective institutions?....

They have wacked the money.
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by KINGwax007(m): 3:25pm On Feb 26, 2017
LorDBolton:

How can u say teaching 'theories' with few examples is all a student needs? Does it really sound sensible to you?

I dnt argue with idiots

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by LorDBolton(m): 3:42pm On Feb 26, 2017
KINGwax007:
I dnt argue with idiots
I'm seated here watching A.C Milan play sassuolo and wondering how old you are...

Anyway you're a prime example of what I posited earlier, the school u attended obviously didn't teach u how to think

I hope you're not 50yrs old yet sha? You know what they say about 50yrs and forever.
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Jadoskii(m): 3:45pm On Feb 26, 2017
Tokziby:

When the network of ur friends are Big Boys and great minds, whats would be ur excuse of not making it in life after graduation.
inspiring
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by KINGwax007(m): 4:12pm On Feb 26, 2017
LorDBolton:

I'm seated here watching A.C Milan play sassuolo and wondering how old you are...

Anyway you're a prime example of what I posited earlier, the school u attended obviously didn't teach u how to think

I hope you're not 50yrs old yet sha? You know what they say about 50yrs and forever.
being dunce is what makes a man speak irrelevant issue, during an important discussion. I would not want to worry about how 'watching a football match, saves you from redundancy. But, you knw wot they say abt, 'your cup of tea'...

And don't worry, the school will definitely teach u theories and everyway u must apply them... grin grin

Just like they taught bill gates, Warren buffet, Jill hand, jimoh Ibrahim, Femi Emmanuel, such that their method of being successful is being cited as another example...

Don't worry, it was school that taught Graham, Newton abt calculus, etc...

Don't worry, they will teach u too...Just bring a coffin, while waiting.. cheesy cheesy

Dumbass!!!

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by LorDBolton(m): 5:44pm On Feb 26, 2017
KINGwax007:
being dunce is what makes a man speak irrelevant issue, during an important discussion. I would not want to worry about how 'watching a football match, saves you from redundancy. But, you knw wot they say abt, 'your cup of tea'...

And don't worry, the school will definitely teach u theories and everyway u must apply them... grin grin

Just like they taught bill gates, Warren buffet, Jill hand, jimoh Ibrahim, Femi Emmanuel, such that their method of being successful is being cited as another example...

Don't worry, it was school that taught Graham, Newton abt calculus, etc...

Don't worry, they will teach u too...Just bring a coffin, while waiting.. cheesy cheesy

Dumbass!!!
How old r u seriously?

I thought u don't argue with idiots?!

So why this epistle?? Anyway lemme show u how it's done. BYE!

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by KINGwax007(m): 6:24pm On Feb 26, 2017
LorDBolton:

How old r u seriously?

I thought u don't argue with idiots?!

So why this epistle?? Anyway lemme show u how it's done. BYE!
I don't argue with idiots- rather, I always put you in ur place.

Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Lakeland4321: 12:34pm On Feb 27, 2017
Bitcoiniler:
We all have different abilities, genes and processes and attending Harvard or not doesn't guarantees anything. Richard Branson and the likes never graduated talk more of attending Harvard, but he has been invited countless times to come say one or two things to the students.

Richard Branson, billionaire founder of Virgin Music.

Sergey Brin, billionaire founder of Google.

Timonthy Blixseth, billionaire founder of Yellowstone Club.

Charles Culpeper, multimillionaire owner and CEO of Coca Cola.

George Eastman, multimillionaire inventor and founder of Kodak.

All these people were dropouts, talk more of attending Harvard, our mindset matters.
Bros, Sergei Brin is an M.sc holder, he and Larry Page were both Ph.d students at Stanford University and only dropped out of the program to concentrate on their Google project. He is not a school drop out.
Re: What Does Harvard Teach Nigerians About Business? by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 06, 2017
InvertedHammer:
/
I will really be interested in people that went to Havard and never made it. They are the forgotten ones.

It will be interesting to know how many people on Forbes 100 went to Havard.

People become wealthy and then take a certificate class to append Havard to their resume'. Eg. Jimoh Ibrahim, Peter Obi, etc. Havard didn't make them.
//

TRUTH!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FEC Directs Minimum Wage Payment On Or Before December 31 / Dangote Tops Forbes’ 23 African Billionaires List For The 7th Time / Buy At Alaba International Wholesale Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.