Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,881 members, 7,806,542 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch (49226 Views)

A Nairalanders Expricence From Lagos To Kano On Train In Clips / Obudu Cattle Ranch, Calabar-picture Gallery / Informations About Obudu Cattle Ranch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Nuzo1(m): 5:49pm On Oct 14, 2013
Successive governments for OBVIOUS reasons don't thinks twice about abandoning projects left by their predecessors.
Unfortunately, Obudu was caught up with the above arrangement.

Too bad the initiator of project Obudu left office just when the project was at the final stage.

Obudu Ranch is a great tourist attraction. Just like Tinapa, its a Nigerian treasure lying in waste for political reasons.

That being said, I guess its shorter to travel from Enugu.
Enugu to Abakaliki is 45mns-1hr. Abakaliki to Ogoja is 30mns. Ogoja to Obudu is 2hrs30mns.

4 Likes

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by whitecat007: 5:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
Maybe your governor is afraid to make noise about it cos the land belongs to Cameroon and the noise make the owner go gaga on your ass

legalcode: Lovely!! And the Governor and crossriverians are quiet about it, if it wr to be in Lag or SW, Fashola and all these ofe mumus wont allow us to hear word and those their lazy youngmen will be busy harrassing visitors in the name of collecting money........Humility.
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by knightsamsong(m): 5:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
more pix

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Nobody: 5:55pm On Oct 14, 2013
Smoothcriminal: God bless u OP I am planning to travel there next week with my family, but almost decided to cancel because of lack of recent reviews of the place online. Kindly answer these questions for me.

Let me state that I will be setting out from abuja and I have never been to the east before.

1. Where is d nearest active airport to obudu
2. How far is obudu from the nearest airport
2. What's the frequency of flights to that airport / what airline.
4. How much would a drop cost from d nearest airport to obudu / or advice on where to get a cheap car hire
5. How much is a decent accomodation/ or advice on a decent accomodation
6. Where there LOTS of other visitors as at the time of ur visit.
7. Is it true that electricity is rationed and u need to pay for extra hours u may need/ how is it rationed
8. What activities would you suggest while there.

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION OF YOUR RESPONSE OR ANYBODY RESPONSE FOR THAT MATTER.

PS. MODS KINDLY SET UP A SECTION FOR LOCAL TRAVELS/REVIEWS, IT'S PATHETIC THAT ALL WE DISCUSS ON THE TRAVEL SECTION IS HOW TO CUT OUT OF THIS COUNTRY.

Nice of you to want to take your family to that beautiful place. I will answer some of your questions as best as I could.

I have been to the ranch on two ocassions before, I actually stayed with a friend in one of the villages upranch.

The nearest airport the the ranch apart from the bebi airstrip that doesn't see much activity (I doubt if its functional self) is the markurdi airport in benue state. Like the op said, the distance from calabar is killing literally (I mean, bad road plus its very far from each other). Since you're coming from Abuja I'll suggest the benue route and I believe even by road, obudu town should not be more than 6 hours journey from Abuja.

I don't know anything about the airlines or conditions of the airport, so I'll just leave you to figure that out yourself, but when you get to markurdi, you can get a vehicle going to Ogoja or Obudu(note, obudu town is not the same as obudu cattle ranch). If you couldn't get obudu direct from markurdi you can join one to ogoja or vandikya, from those two locations getting to obudu town is pretty straight forward.

When you get to obudu town, you can charter a cab to the ranch (upranch, so the taxi can ferri you up the mountain), it shouldn't be more than 5K at most, the trip is like an hour.

You can get cabs at the market or at the ranch junction, and if you get to obudu town late, there are cheap hotels you can stay there.

At the ranch resort, the cheapest hotel room you can get is 25K, but its quite nice sha, and there are some for as much as 150K per night.

If you can go there around the time of the mountain race, you'll likely see a lot of foreigners there. But while there you must take the cable car ride, swim at the pool, walk on the canopy walk-way and eat at the resturant. It gets very cold at night on the mountain, prepare yourself.

Let me now give you the hard truth, there isn't much to the ranch especially as it isn't being well patronized and many facilities are falling to disrepair, so don't be surprised to see some things in bad shape.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 14, 2013
I see some people trying to compare cross river with lagos because of this ranch. Lol, that's just so wrong.

Obudu cattle ranch isn't up to 0.00005 of the entire state, so please shut up, all of you.
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:12pm On Oct 14, 2013
Imagine FUlani people come all the way here and invade the place to raid cattle from the "ranch".

Then they decide to go for a ride on the cable cars.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by slimfit1(m): 6:13pm On Oct 14, 2013
If that uyo governor had spent his state on third face to go and do his wedding here I would not mind.
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Damilolaadunni: 6:24pm On Oct 14, 2013
mZ sleeq: lipsrsealed
she said 7hrs....calabar to ogoja is how many hrs?...ogoja to obudu is how many hrs.....do the math
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by chucky234(m): 6:24pm On Oct 14, 2013
Smoothcriminal: God bless u OP I am planning to travel there next week with my family, but almost decided to cancel because of lack of recent reviews of the place online. Kindly answer these questions for me.

Let me state that I will be setting out from abuja and I have never been to the east before.

1. Where is d nearest active airport to obudu
2. How far is obudu from the nearest airport
2. What's the frequency of flights to that airport / what airline.
4. How much would a drop cost from d nearest airport to obudu / or advice on where to get a cheap car hire
5. How much is a decent accomodation/ or advice on a decent accomodation
6. Where there LOTS of other visitors as at the time of ur visit.
7. Is it true that electricity is rationed and u need to pay for extra hours u may need/ how is it rationed
8. What activities would you suggest while there.

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION OF YOUR RESPONSE OR ANYBODY RESPONSE FOR THAT MATTER.

PS. MODS KINDLY SET UP A SECTION FOR LOCAL TRAVELS/REVIEWS, IT'S PATHETIC THAT ALL WE DISCUSS ON THE TRAVEL SECTION IS HOW TO CUT OUT OF THIS COUNTRY.
Omo see consultation job,guy how much you go pay for this job because all dis your questions hard pass JAMB ooo.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by whitecat007: 6:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
grin grin
PAGAN 9JA:
Imagine FUlani people come all the way here and invade the place to raid cattle from the "ranch".

Then they decide to go for a ride on the cable cars.
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by chucky234(m): 6:27pm On Oct 14, 2013
slim fit :
If that uyo governor had spent his state on third face to go and do his wedding here I would not mind.
First grade gbagaun.
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Damilolaadunni: 6:29pm On Oct 14, 2013
django1: I see some people trying to compare cross river with lagos because of this ranch. Lol, that's just so wrong.

Obudu cattle ranch isn't up to 0.00005 of the entire state, so please shut up, all of you.
just like calabar is overhyped....nothing spectacular....just like your normal regular city...bt obudu is another story....u'll appreciate God more as the best designer because d place is just wao....i was impressed
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by chucky234(m): 6:32pm On Oct 14, 2013
django1:

Nice of you to want to take your family to that beautiful place. I will answer some of your questions as best as I could.

I have been to the ranch on two ocassions before, I actually stayed with a friend in one of the villages upranch.

The nearest airport the the ranch apart from the bebi airstrip that doesn't see much activity (I doubt if its functional self) is the markurdi airport in benue state. Like the op said, the distance from calabar is killing literally (I mean, bad road plus its very far from each other). Since you're coming from Abuja I'll suggest the benue route and I believe even by road, obudu town should not be more than 6 hours journey from Abuja.

I don't know anything about the airlines or conditions of the airport, so I'll just leave you to figure that out yourself, but when you get to markurdi, you can get a vehicle going to Ogoja or Obudu(note, obudu town is not the same as obudu cattle ranch). If you couldn't get obudu direct from markurdi you can join one to ogoja or vandikya, from those two locations getting to obudu town is pretty straight forward.

When you get to obudu town, you can charter a cab to the ranch (upranch, so the taxi can ferri you up the mountain), it shouldn't be more than 5K at most, the trip is like an hour.

You can get cabs at the market or at the ranch junction, and if you get to obudu town late, there are cheap hotels you can stay there.

At the ranch resort, the cheapest hotel room you can get is 25K, but its quite nice sha, and there are some for as much as 150K per night.

If you can go there around the time of the mountain race, you'll likely see a lot of foreigners there. But while there you must take the cable car ride, swim at the pool, walk on the canopy walk-way and eat at the resturant. It gets very cold at night on the mountain, prepare yourself.

Let me now give you the hard truth, there isn't much to the ranch especially as it isn't being well patronized and many facilities are falling to disrepair, so don't be surprised to see some things in bad shape.
Chei all dis plenty wahala just to visit Obudu Ranch,haba I go kukuma take my family go spend one week for Continental Hotel without stress.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by tellwsdom: 6:40pm On Oct 14, 2013
You went to the bush, then came here to tell us it's obutu ranch sad. Wtf?? angry
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Ribaman(m): 6:43pm On Oct 14, 2013
I hail from hereabout!
Obudu Cattle Ranch is situated in one of the most picturesque places on God's earth, ie The northern tip of Cross River state. I am ever thankful that my village doesn't form a part of the ranch itself, for very obvious, (and somewhat selfish), reasons.
Mr Donald Duke gave the place the current gracious and pleasant face that it wears. Like most things associated with Duke, he failed to see thru his initial plans to globalise it. He handed the day-to-day management of the place to his South African cronies, who to be fair did a fine job, but ended up making it too upmarket for Mass marketing purposes.
Re the current state of affairs: it not your euro Disneyland, it is not for those seeking for a thrill. Its a natural Oasis of peace and a fine place to regain/find one's inner bearings.
However, if well priced and pitched well, the Ranch should lead to more guests and a growth in other ancillary sectors.
I am never slow in coming forward re the beauty of my home: even in the far flung places that I have visited, I never to tell about my home.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by eaglechild: 6:45pm On Oct 14, 2013
Nothing beats natural beauty.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 14, 2013
tellwsdom: You went to the bush, then came here to tell us it's obutu ranch sad. Wtf?? angry
undecided
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by bluejeff(m): 6:52pm On Oct 14, 2013
BTW, I think it will be better one who intends using a flight shld rather pass through enugu or makurdi airport cos its shorter(about 4 hours to the ranch from these places) than calabar to the ranch which is about 6 hours, no thanks to the geographical location of obudu from calabar + the road isn't straight and wide enough.
Here are some pics...

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by bluejeff(m): 6:59pm On Oct 14, 2013
more...

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by bluejeff(m): 7:01pm On Oct 14, 2013

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by bluejeff(m): 7:05pm On Oct 14, 2013
Lastly...
sorry for the low pics quality

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Godson201333(m): 7:08pm On Oct 14, 2013
Abeg who bears the risk if Nepa take light ??
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by IGBOSON1: 7:08pm On Oct 14, 2013
JMOI: People like you should be thrown into the Atlantic ocean

^^^Or the Lions den! angry
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by UnimkeAk(m): 7:43pm On Oct 14, 2013
MY VILLAGE noni
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by yunkychy(f): 7:58pm On Oct 14, 2013
Obudu is a nice place to be,is beta u enter. Cable car oooooo,cos anything can happen on dat road. If u wana lodge dia jst bookonline and for airport,is kind of far to Obudu cos d arport is in Calabar.
Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
chucky234: Chei all dis plenty wahala just to visit Obudu Ranch,haba I go kukuma take my family go spend one week for Continental Hotel without stress.

You'll never see a cable car in your hotel, neither will you see a breath taking mountain view in that hotel.

3 Likes

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by peleson: 8:28pm On Oct 14, 2013
That is why I say Donald Duke is the best president Nigeria is to have.

1 Like

Re: A Nairalanders Trip To Obudu Cattle Ranch by chacha3(f): 8:34pm On Oct 14, 2013
Am all smiles,I can't forget the one week I spent at obudu mountain resort for my honeymoon though is been four years now. It was a dream come true,so many sweet memories....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abuja-Kaduna High Speed Railway Is Ready / Obiano Commissions Anambra International Airport (Pictures) / LASTMA General Manager Caught A Man Driving One-Way On 3rd Mainland Bridge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.