Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,865 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? (1081 Views)

Unibadan Distance Learning 2011/2012 Admited Student Let Meet Here / University Of Ibadan, Distance Learning Programme / University Of Abuja Distance Learning Admission List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? by RuuDie(m): 9:34am On Oct 13, 2013
Due to a number of factors, I am seriously mulling over signing up for online/distance courses to bag an Msc, preferably in any "decent" US-based institution.
Is it advisable? How credible are such certifications? Does business world and society at large really regard 'em?

Also, I am quite interested in responses from folks who have some form of experience in this regard... Thanks!
Re: How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? by economia: 9:48am On Oct 13, 2013
I 'VE INTEREST TO KNOW AS WELL
Re: How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? by fabby26(m): 3:00pm On Oct 13, 2013
Well I may not have any experience on how indigenous establishments here in Naija regard online certification programs due to our limited mentality towards the power of ICT and digital era. I am very much aware that many multinationals regard online certification as much as they regard offline Certification, because I don't see any difference in that, if not the convinence in learning at your pace of time and comfort outside the confines of classroom and besides some online courses are quite interactive with face to face instructor-led program from your PC, just like the classroom experience. The problem with us(naija) is lack of confidence on authenticity of everything we do, but even at that, those certification can be verified based on the record of student attendance for the said program from the examining body, if in doubt. I will say is just that a lot Nigerians are not technologically-savvy, so have not embraced the distance learning program. Even the so called NOUN distance learning is still in doubt.

I have about 6 online certification in Process Safety from a well recognised body in US. And I know how I painstakingly read through each online modules and resources to pass the online course and earn those Professional certificates, and I'm proud to attach along with my resume for any job application
Re: How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? by economia: 9:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
@RuuDie thanks
Re: How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? by RuuDie(m): 5:24am On Oct 14, 2013
@ fabby26.

Thanks for sharing...

How did you settle on which institution to study with? What about costs?
Re: How Credible And Useful Are Online Or Distance Learning Degrees? by fabby26(m): 9:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
@Ruddie.
Well it is a certification with a professional body in line with my Career in Chemical Engineering and Chemical Safety. Not really an institution of higher learning, but an institute in US. But moreover, same applies to all

(1) (Reply)

The Undergraduate Statistician: Hopes And Aspirations / How Did Pidgin English Came Into Existence???? / Full List Of Winners Of 2014/2015 NITDA Scholarship Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.